• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

New Kurzgesagt today.

Yes, yes it is.

fOYmeEG.gif

The video covers these main three points
  1. Does our diet really play that big a roll in climate change? Yes
  2. Does buying local food actually matter? No
  3. Don't cows mainly use land that we cannot use for agriculture or other things? No

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Very informative video. I was under the misconception that buying local was better. That being said, I'll still continue to use plant-based products over meat when possible. Not surprised that we need to be planting way more trees too.

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
I'm not a vegetarian but it's baffling to me why governments haven't imposed environmental taxes on high greenhouse emitting food products and used the funds to subsidize climate friendly foods.

Oh wait corporations wouldn't like that and spend billions on lobbying and corrupting officials

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Very informative video. I was under the misconception that buying local was better. That being said, I'll still continue to use plant-based products over meat when possible. Not surprised that we need to be planting way more trees too.
If that shit was cheaper, I'd be all in. I love it.

We're getting there, yeah. And with prices of produce seemingly skyrocketing by me, I will probably buy more... but on the whole less meat and meat-esque in general since now they're almost near, pricewise.

Prob. stick with veggies and the like mostly thanks to price.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Buying local meat is better, but it's never better than fruits and veggies.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My Huel subscription and continued move towards consuming FAR less meat than I used to is one of the few aspects of myself I genuinely feel pretty great about. Lab grown meat can't get here soon enough.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Great video, I like the focus on beef as the major culprit behind emissions. It's way easier to get people to reduce their beef intake than cut out meat altogether

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Been vegan for 2 years now. I went all in but you can make a real difference by just swapping out one or two meals a week!

Oct 29, 2017
Great video, I like the focus on beef as the major culprit behind emissions. It's way easier to get people to reduce their beef intake than cut out meat altogether
Yup. Getting people to move to white meat (or in herbal reducing) isn't a bulletproof solution, but it's better than them sticking to red meat.

Been vegan for 2 years now. I went all in but you can make a real difference by just swapping out one or two meals a week!
Absolutely. I've been doing this and It really does help. I try to do 50% vegetarian meals and 50% non vegetarian meals every week.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017

It worked for me. I started by giving up pork, then red meat, then all meat, then all animal products. I never planned on being vegetarian or vegan, but it just kind of happened. After each step the next was much easier.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sooner fake meat (aka beyond/impossible) gets to being as cheap as actual meat the better. I generally don't eat beef as much as I used to. But if need be I could move to a vegetarian diet. (Not vegan, sorry but I like too many products to make that switch just yet)

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I love beef, but should probably give it up for both health and environmental reasons.

Apparently it very much isn't!

From what I've read, lab grown meat is essentially impossible to produce at scale.

Now, genetically engineering an animal that is essentially a sedentary, meat-producing tree? I can see that working, maybe.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
Their first video on meat consumption was pretty awful, so I hope this one is better.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Now, genetically engineering an animal that is essentially a sedentary, meat-producing tree? I can see that working, maybe.
There's no way this could be a bad idea.

1414465469186.jpg

myanimelist.net

BioMeat: Nectar

Japan was in need of food. Bio-engineers had the solution, BioMeat. A thing which feeds on everything but glass and vinyl. In return they produce a endless supply of food. One day a BM escapes into the city. What will happen with a killing machine on the loose?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
While I still eat decent amount of meat I have cut down my beef consumption a lot during last few years and eaten more chicken and fish (that I have myself caught from the local lakes).

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
There's no way this could be a bad idea.

1414465469186.jpg

myanimelist.net

BioMeat: Nectar

Japan was in need of food. Bio-engineers had the solution, BioMeat. A thing which feeds on everything but glass and vinyl. In return they produce a endless supply of food. One day a BM escapes into the city. What will happen with a killing machine on the loose?
Man, nobody ever makes scifi stories about the possible positive outcomes of genetic engineering.

Oct 25, 2017
Any effort is good effort! I appreciate anyone who makes any sort of change to help.
I've been vegetarian for almost 3 years now (although I eat vegan half the time).
Based on what I've been seeing at fast food and restaurants these past couple years, the ship is slowly turning. It's so easy to be a vegetarian now, at least in my region.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a subject like this is far to complex to be covered in a 12 minute video. It does the subject no favor other than to say what a lot of people already know. This ended up feeling like a complete waste of time. Yeah, it's bad for the world. We get that. But the reason it's used isn't just because people want it - it's because the industries surrounding are extremely powerful and control the costs to the point that most people aren't going to be able to make the switch easily. It ignores the entire economic aspect for why people choose meat instead of meat alternatives.

And I know I'm barely event scratching the surface on the various caveats! Which is why it's frustrating this video exists in this form. It simply cannot be condensed like this.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I feel like a subject like this is far to complex to be covered in a 12 minute video. It does the subject no favor other than to say what a lot of people already know. This ended up feeling like a complete waste of time. Yeah, it's bad for the world. We get that. But the reason it's used isn't just because people want it - it's because the industries surrounding are extremely powerful and control the costs to the point that most people aren't going to be able to make the switch easily. It ignores the entire economic aspect for why people choose meat instead of meat alternatives.

And I know I'm barely event scratching the surface on the various caveats! Which is why it's frustrating this video exists in this form. It simply cannot be condensed like this.

You can be vegan/vegetarian without ever buying meat alternatives, but people love the taste/texture of it. Meat itself is not cheap compared to other foods.

Btw I'm not judging, my whole family loves meat, but it's not because they can't afford other stuff.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I won't be going vegetarian, but I am eliminating all beef from my diet. Cattle are the worst contributor to climate change, its at least something I can do that might make a difference.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Beef is overrated anyway. Never been a fan of steak, burgers are good I suppose but I prefer a chicken burger over beef.

blakeseven

Apr 9, 2018
Cant watch the video right now but is it about meat in general or beef? From the replies it seems mostly about beef?

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Beef is overrated anyway. Never been a fan of steak, burgers are good I suppose but I prefer a chicken burger over beef.
If it wasn't for steak and brisket, I could quit beef. I've gotten so good at smoking brisket too.

What's prevented me from buying brisket and steaks lately has been price. I used to be able to get a 12lbs brisket for $80 earlier this year. Now you can't get one for less than $100.

Either way, I'm really tired of being told the buck stops with me and not corporations whose methods are awful.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Either way, I'm really tired of being told the buck stops with me and not corporations whose methods are awful.
You realise we can do both. Or do you expect corporations to just stop producing beef burgers if that is the only thing everyone is eating?
And politicians won't do Jack shit either unless we collectively make them by no longer feeding on what polluting industries produce for us.
so no you or me no longer eating a dozen beef burgers a year is not going to save the planet but if a critical mass of people does corporate and political Behavior will change and adapt.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Personally, while I get the problems, I feel like talking about the climate effect of meat consumption without taking into account it's proportional scale to industrial and vehicle emissions it's kind of flawed. Sure, if a lot of people change to vegetarian/vegan diets that could have a positive effect, it is not nearly enough and it's a lot harder to implement into a large scale than heavy-handed aggressive pressure to industrial production could be.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just cut back if you can. It's really, really not too hard and your stomach will thank you for it (less bloat, less tummy pains). I like having beef be a rare treat that it should be, not a weekly staple.

Why not both gif

Kind of a win-win if eating less beef for health/environmental reasons could invariably mean less demand for it. :P

I do think the world is wisening up to their harmful effects of these places and lack of regulation over resources/waste, but we're definitely behind, and cultural norms to consume a lot won't help.

...I've kinda been cool with the increased price by way of being more tempted to just avoid it and save some coin.

Last edited:

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
From what I've read, lab grown meat is essentially impossible to produce at scale.
Interesting article about that here for anyone else interested.
https://thecounter.org/lab-grown-cultivated-meat-cost-at-scale/
Things look nice on the small scale but there are so many more compounding issues with the bioreactors when you try scaling up to industrial volumes aimed at competing with real meat.

I do still think this is (a big part of) the future though.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I basically switched a few years back to:
Beef/Bison maybe 4 times a year, usually like a burger of beef bolognese if I'm at an awesome Italian restaurant.
Lamb never (similar impact to beef).
Fish or shrimp or other seafood maybe once every two weeks, sticking to 'Green' flagged fish, though we do eat farmed salmon out of the Gulf of Maine (farmed salmon can be iffy, gulf of maine farmed salmon seem to have a decent record)
Maybe a pound of bacon every other month.
Other pork and poultry once in a while, but never more than once a week, often times just 2-3 times a month.

So all told in a week of ~14 meals I likely average meat in 1-3 of them, depending on if I have bacon.

Meanwhile spouse is vegetarian (okay, pescatarian).

The above is more then enough meat for me and I could probably easily cut it down further. It was pretty easy to do and is a massive reduction in footprint (especially the beef).

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'm lucky that I don't really like beef or lamb, and also find them way too expensive. I've found it very hard to break free from poultry, though.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Interesting article about that here for anyone else interested.
https://thecounter.org/lab-grown-cultivated-meat-cost-at-scale/
Things look nice on the small scale but there are so many more compounding issues with the bioreactors when you try scaling up to industrial volumes aimed at competing with real meat.

I do still think this is (a big part of) the future though.
The contamination issue seems like the one we simply can't get around. I can imagine solutions for everything else, but a single virus being able to destroy thousands of pounds of product just makes the whole thing impossible.

Now, I was being serious when I said an engineered organism would work better. It could have an immune system, could produce actual cuts of meat, could be made sedentary to expend as few calories as possible to reduce feed costs, and it could have an extremely simple a brain to reduce ethical concerns. We're still decades away from that kind of genetic manipulation, but I think it's honestly more realistic than cultured cells.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Problem is it's all animal based protein that is bad, even with the amount I have cut back on replacing meat with chicken and fish, those markets are also beyond horrible.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Even without emissions and deforestation there's plenty of reasons to get rid of animal agriculture.

-Antibiotic Resistance is the 2nd biggest threat to humanity
-Single biggest risk of pandemics
-Meat eating is highly associated with obesity, and also an increased risk of cancer.
-Massive waste of government dollars on subsidies
-Literal pools of shit polluting the enviornment

Animal Agriculture is one of the dumbest things humans have ever done, animal products are something that should be eaten on special occasions like holidays and birthdays, not a staple of every single meal of every single day.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I watched a video on solar energy recently and there was a pretty baffling claim made in it. Basically, a MASSIVE percentage of the land in the united states is not only dedicated to farm animals but actually to the crops that feed the farm animals. And a miniscule fraction of that land could power the entire country if we plopped a bunch of solar panels down on it.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I doubt I could ever go vegan / vegetarian, but the knowledge of how harmful beef is has made me cut it back to at most once per month.

I eat chicken on an almost daily basis though... and I guess worse, I'm obsessive about it being free range (properly free range, I only buy from farms I can be sure about) for ethical reasons.

No kids though, so I'm saving the planet that way. #utopia

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I hardly ever eat beef. I would say 90% of my meat consumption is seafood and my meat consumption is pretty damn low. Maybe twice a week?

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone actually make the argument that slaughtering billions of sentient beings a year for food is ethical when we have the means to create a world where it didn't happen? If civilization lasts another 100 years I think this will be one of the things they look back on with open disgust.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone actually make the argument that slaughtering billions of sentient beings a year for food is ethical when we have the means to create a world where it didn't happen? If civilization lasts another 100 years I think this will be one of the things they look back on with open disgust.

Yeah, this will definitely be looked back on the same way we did slavery. The only reason it seems "normal," is because we grew up in it.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Even without emissions and deforestation there's plenty of reasons to get rid of animal agriculture.

-Antibiotic Resistance is the 2nd biggest threat to humanity
-Single biggest risk of pandemics
-Meat eating is highly associated with obesity, and also an increased risk of cancer.
-Massive waste of government dollars on subsidies
-Literal pools of shit polluting the enviornment

Animal Agriculture is one of the dumbest things humans have ever done, animal products are something that should be eaten on special occasions like holidays and birthdays, not a staple of every single meal of every single day.

Yeah, this will definitely be looked back on the same way we did slavery. The only reason it seems "normal," is because we grew up in it.

When the World is burning (And before if we're hit re antibiotics) we can look back and as a species the large volume of us (Not denying some societies are wholly reliant on meat) can look back and go well it was all worth it as it tasted a bit nice didn't it and the alternatives didn't quite taste the same.

It rings a bit of akin to making values for stakeholders and it all being worth it pic that does the rounds.