• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Same design as iPhone 8
Kuo has had a 90% accuracy rate on his future Apple products prediction

We forecast that Apple will launch the more affordable iPhone SE2 in 1Q20. For the most part, the form factor design and hardware spec are similar to iPhone 8's. The most significant hardware spec upgrade will be the adoption of the A13 processor and 3GB LPDDR4X. iPhone SE2 will likely increase iPhone's market share and benefit Apple's promotions for service and content. We expect that the iPhone SE2 shipment will reach 30–40mn units in 2020.

Touch ID onlyb

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My feelings went from "ooh" to "uhh" when reading "iPhone 8 form factor".

I'd love to see a new phone in the 5" iPhone SE/5 form factor again personally.
#TeamSmallPhone

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
But.... Is it going to be tiny as shit, because I'd wait to get the SE2 if it's the same size as an 8 Plus

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Dang, I really liked the small form factor. I'm rocking a 6 and often stare at my wife's SE with envy.

macjester

Dec 12, 2018

#TeamSmallPhone
I hear you. As a "life long" 5/6/SE user, I hated the idea of anything larger...however, just recently, I gave in and upgraded to an 8...the reality is, its not that bad. I have a very minimalist spigen case and its slightly larger than the SE with case. It is the smallest form factor they make. I think given the battery/ram/cpu requirements, its the best we can hope for. I'm looking forward to the upgrade. BTW, wireless charging is amazing, that's something I found out later the 8 had and its incredibly convenient.

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so that's too big. The only way to make this interesting to me is an all screen design, no notch, in display touch id. maybe a tad bigger than the current SE but all screen.

I guess this might be part of their next flagships and this is just as budget as they can make it, which is also fine, choice is good.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's Tim Cook, any way to save money in manufacturing, 8 will be cheaper to make than something new.

Oct 25, 2017
Same design as iPhone 8? That design is dated af.

That's the point. Cheaper phone that also doesn't scare people away. Many Older people especially, like my parents age, don't like change and want the home button.

though having an iPhone 11 for a week now: there is no way I'd ever use Touch ID again.

Oct 27, 2017
Excitement died with 8 form factor news.

I guess I'm riding out my SE until the heat death of the universe *shrugs*

signal

Oct 28, 2017
imagine it has the bezels too. It's just the iphone 8 shell rebranded as the SE2 lol

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
So, not an SE2 then.

What is it with Apple's product team and products which they call "fan favourites" and then change the things customers actually liked about them and why they clamour for it to come back? It's like the Macbook Air with the bastardised keyboard.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
I get mocked relentlessly for my SE but I love the damn thing. Easy to use w/ one hand and durable as all hell. I roll caseless & the SE can take a beating.

But if the size is going to increase regardless I might just bite the bullet the next time and get the primo model.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would think Apple would want to get rid of the home button altogether so they don't have to account for it in iOS.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
iPhone 8 form factor?

So they are making a bigger SE but it's a form factor that is smaller than the X. Their idea of the SE is a phone that is, design wise, one gen behind the current design trends it seems.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Artist render
EF9QpcUW4AAzeAm

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Tim Cook's way of re-using form factors is kinda genius from a business perspective. Is boring as hell but the dude is incredibly smart.

In this case people that bought an SE because of the form factor aren't really serviced since they could've bought a 6S way back then instead if size was the reason for the SE.

If price was the concern then this will be good enough of an upgrade.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
What's the point of an SE if it is going to be as big as the 8? Dont' they already have the 8 for people who want a cheap phone and 8 form?
Cheap phone with updated internals that will be supported for a while I guess.

SE meant special edition not "small edition". Was basically just a 5s 2

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I mean they still currently sell the 8? So they will basically take the 8, remove some features like 3D touch, call it SE2 and sell it for $100 cheaper?

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'll wait for 12/11S or whatever they call it. I will have paid off my Xr by then so I could trade in for a discount by next September

rumors say the2020 model will be a big change and have 5.4, 6.1, and 6.7 inch screens. My guess would be 5.4 becomes the $700 11/Xr replacement and 6.1/6.7 are Pro.

would be weird to have 5.4 and 6.7 be Pro, the gap between 11 and 11 Pro screen is only .2 inches, .6 inches would be a lot

no notch may happen too. Idk a 5.4 inch all screen phone may end up being as small as a 4.7 inch iPhone 8 style phone

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
So they still sell the 8 and 8 Plus for $449 and $549 respectively. Does this kill off the 8? Is there an SE Plus available? I'm for this, I like the idea of new cheap iPhones that will get solid support vs buying devices that are already 2+ years old already spec wise.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I was very happy about this headline until I got to the part about it being inheriting the iPhone 8's design.

The 6S is around the size of the 8, and it was around back then with the same internals as the original SE. This new SE does nothing for the people who liked the original for its size.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Cheap phone with updated internals that will be supported for a while I guess.

SE meant special edition not "small edition". Was basically just a 5s 2

That's what the 8 is honestly. And all of their older phones (For my 6 any of the new phones would be an upgrade).

It just seems most people who bought the SE did so cause of form, not updated internals (I have toc onstantly remind my husband his SE is better than my 6 was). My husband was extremely disappointed when I told him the new SE will probably be iphone 6-8 sized. He already thought my 6 was way too big (personallY I like the format of the SE but I'm not as stubbern as he is about it and tolerated a bigger phone for new internals. The 11 pro I have has a big enough screen with it's full screen to make up for the size but the 6 I had I woudl have preferred a smaller phone. Bought it cause it was the last iphone AT&T would subsidize and i didn't want to be stuck with a 5 for years and years (no idea that they'd put out an SE).

signal

Oct 28, 2017
That's what the 8 is honestly. And all of their older phones (For my 6 any of the new phones would be an upgrade).

It just seems most people who bought the SE did so cause of form, not updated internals (I have toc onstantly remind my husband his SE is better than my 6 was). My husband was extremely disappointed when I told him the new SE will probably be iphone 6-8 sized. He already thought my 6 was way too big (personallY I like the format of the SE but I'm not as stubbern as he is about it and tolerated a bigger phone for new internals. The 11 pro I have has a big enough screen with it's full screen to make up for the size but the 6 I had I woudl have preferred a smaller phone. Bought it cause it was the last iphone AT&T would subsidize and i didn't want to be stuck with a 5 for years and years (no idea that they'd put out an SE).
I don't know if they had a ton of choice in the form factor at the time but I agree that the overwhelming majority of people who are asking for a modern SE want basically an SE shell with a full(er) screen phone. Apple will just annoy people with an iPhone 8 called the SE 2 lol.

Oct 25, 2017

#TeamSmallPhone
Best you're likely gonna' get, since this means Apple gets to save money.

Doesn't seem like they're interested in making high-end small phones, even though there are people who would buy them (myself included.)

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Being the same size as the iPhone 8 isn't something I'm crazy about, but I'll take it.

Assuming it drops March 2020 it'll be exactly three years since I bought my iPhone SE.

Edit: Or maybe I'll wait for September 2020 and see if a smaller device shows its face.

Edit 2: Actually fuck it, the iPhone 8 is too big. If I was fine with that size I would have bought one a long time ago. Current iPhone SE dimensions or bust.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
This is gonna piss off the forum-going SE diehards but probably sell very well on the lower end carriers. I know a lot of people who have/had SE's because they were cheap as dirt(for an iPhone, anyway) and didnt give a single crap about it being a small phone. This would be a perfect upgrade for most of them.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I own a 7 still and find it small enough. It's not too large to use one handed or be pocketable or whatever.

The people who want an SE1 size device are probably just a very vocal minority. Would look cool but a bezelless 7 or 8 size device is small enough while providing a better experience for content.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Someone needs to have a sitdown with Tim Apple and tell him it's not the price, it's the size.

If Apple released the iPhone 11 Pro in a size that matched the physical dimensions of the iPhone SE I'd buy one this instant even at $999.

It's always been about the size for me and nothing else.