• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
A thread to talk about Kung Fu & Asian Action Movies , The Actors and the Movies they inspire.

Whether it's Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, Chow Yun Fat, Michelle Yeoh, Tony Jaa & so on, feel free to discuss them all here. How about The Jason Statham Movies, John Wicks, The Matrix and the rest of the Hollywood films they influenced, do we talk about those too? especially since a lot of Asian Martial Artists made Hollywood Movies, so I say yes.

Some of my favourites of these Movies (some of these I love for nostalgic purposes when I saw them in the 90's on British TV, most likely edited to hell and very bad dubbing, but thats part of the charm) Not to make it simply a lists thread, I am going to describe briefly what I liked about each one.

In no a particular order

Wheels on Meals - Jackie Chan - some of the funniest scenes in a Jackie Movie I had seen up to that point, intenional because of course his films always had the comeic tone, but maybe the bad dubbing made it even more ridiculous, do not forget about the awesome fight scenes with Benny The Jet Urquidez that often gets shared even on this very board.

Enter The Dragon - Bruce Lee - To me he is the Goat Martial Artist Actor and of course it's his Major Hollywood Movie, despite it's flaws and regardless how you feel about it's story it has some of the best Martial Arts ever put on screen, especially for 1973. It also gave a solid plot outline to the Mortal Kombat Movie to "Borrow"

The Legend of Fong Sai-Yuk - Jet Li (known as Legend in usa) - this was the first Jet Li film I ever saw, so it holds a place in my heart, especially with the comedy bits in it, was it the first or second that his mum is pulling funny faces? I don't recall but it cracked me up for hours

Drunken Master - Jackie Chan - Kung Fu Tom Foolery by a Young Jackie but also a very valid form of Martial Arts and has awesome fight scenes that you would believe that even if Jackie was Drunk in real life, he could probably still pull of these moves.

Iron Monkey - Donnie Yen - The first time I saw Donnie Yen onscreen and I was kind of in a Wanting to see a Ninja movie, while everyone suggested American Ninja, I wanted something different, so I rented this on VHS instead.

Kiss of the Dragon - Jet Li - When I rented Romeo Must Die I have to Admit I didn't like it, so I wasn't convinced I would like it when I rented KOTD, well about halfway through I turned to my dad said "This film is awesome, it hasn't even finished but it doesn't matter it's already done it's job"

Way of the Dragon - Bruce Lee - Chuck Norris VS Bruce Lee, Double Nunchucks, ahh what more could you ask for?

Showdown in Little Tokyo - Brandon Lee/Dolph Lundgren - it's been a long while Since I saw this, but it's fair to say Brandon is more of a Action Guy really than his father, don't get me wrong his Martial Arts are good but I focus more on the rest of the film.

Hard Boiled - Chow Yun Fat - This film at the point of seeing it t time was the greatest action film I had ever watched, better than anything Hollywood had put out as far as I'm concerned, whilst it got a Videogame Sequel I still feel it deserved a Movie Sequel. I am sorry but I like this more than The Killer.

Twin Dragons - Jackie Chan - This one whilst the story is just okay, it's the fact that you got Twice The Jackie Chan who plays his own Twin in this and what is better than One Jackie Chan? Well Two of course.

Fists of Fury - Bruce Lee - I like all of Bruce Lee's Films (except Game of Death, but to be fair he did not finish it, so the 20 or was it 40? mins of footage that exists on Documentary DVD's far outweighed anything that was cobbled together by the Studio, with Cardboard Cutouts of Bruce Lees' face and Stuntment)

There are so many more I like but will bring them up when I remember them or if I get a chance to rewatch them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aftermath

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
If you are looking to buy these Movies, I hear Eureka are doing a great job of Remastering them and am looking into possibly collecting them myself eventually, Wheels on Meals just got announced for March this year

42-A3403-D-79-B9-4-B48-A054-0-B71-FF9-AC781.jpg

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Hard Boiled - so fucking dope. One of the best action movies of all time. Easily.

Police Story 2 - classic series. I love everything about part 1 but I saw part 2 first and enjoyed it so much. I like that it has a more serious tone than most Jackie films which suits my tastes.

Kung Fu Cult Master (also known as Legend Of The Wu Tang) - this was my intro to Jet Li and my intro to wuxia films. Its kind of an odd film and ends with a cliffhanger for a proposed sequel that never happens but this was such a great film. I loved how many different fighting styles were shown.

Oct 27, 2017
Ong Bak and the Protector are my all time faves. Saw Ong Bak three godamn times in theatre I was so floored. It's too bad Tony Jaa kinda fell off.

Can't stand "wire fu". Gimme gnarly ass real stunts all day please.

Also the Raid and the Raid 2 are simply incredible films from an action/hand to hand standpoint.

OP
OP
Aftermath

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Kung Fu Cult Master (also known as Legend Of The Wu Tang) - this was my intro to Jet Li and my intro to wuxia films. Its kind of an odd film and ends with a cliffhanger for a proposed sequel that never happens but this was such a great film. I loved how many different fighting styles were shown.

This is one I haven't heard of before, I'll try to check it out.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Once Upon a time in China starring Jet Li. Watch 1 - 3, skip the rest as they are not so good.

It's based off a novel, like most Wuxia in media. The movie also felt super rushed. I can only assume it didn't do very well, and there was never a sequel.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
OP, take Kiss of the Dragon off that list...

that was not an asian action movie...rather it was a hollywood movie starring Jet Li..

I hope i'm not nitpicking but it's a relevant distinction in my opinion.

Hollywood action movie starring asian movie star vis a vis a totally asian action movie are totally different in the pacing, action and the overall atmosphere.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Ong Bak and the Protector are my all time faves. Saw Ong Bak three godamn times in theatre I was so floored. It's too bad Tony Jaa kinda fell off.

Can't stand "wire fu". Gimme gnarly ass real stunts all day please.

Also the Raid and the Raid 2 are simply incredible films from an action/hand to hand standpoint.
Seriously. The Protector was 2006 and after my friends and got done watching it, we couldn't wait to see him blow up. I guess that contract he had really hindered him for a few years and slowed his momentum.

Then he gets cast in dreck like XXX 2 or getting his ass kicked by Paul Walker :(

It's really annoying with the lack of kung fu/asian action movies on streaming. All I want is to own a bunch of Jackie Chan and early John Woo movies digitally.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine a seven samurai like film with all the old school asian martial artists stars like Jackie Chan, jet li, sammo hung, chow yung phat and donnie yen working with the newer action stars like Tony ja and iko uwais. A three hour epic of martial art mayhem. That has always been my dream martial arts action movie. It'll be like the Expendables but good

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
is jet li even healthy enough to do any action nowadays?
his cancer situation seemed pretty bad

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Second the Fong Sai Yuk recommendation - awesome early Jet Li fighting.

A Touch of Zen followed by Crouching Tiger as a double bill.

Lady Snowblood - 1 especially - is awesome.

A Better Tomorrow, The Killer and Hard Boiled.

Jackie - yeah Drunken Master 2, Wheels on Meals, Project A, Police Story's and Armour of God - what a run of movies.

Heroic Trio - how can you go past Maggie Cheung, Anita Mui and Michelle Yeoh badassery?

Iron Monkey and Ip Man are top tier Donnie Yen.

Steven Chow movies are fun - God of Cookery, Shaolin Soccer & Kung Fu Hustle

Shaw Brothers - Five Deadly Venoms, 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Five Element Ninjas, Kid with the Golden Arm...but there's so much SBs stuff I have never seen.

Ong Bak is great. Haven't watched a lot of Thai stuff but I quite liked Chocolate too.

Really liked So Close back in the day - three HK women badasses mixed up in some martial arts and crime shenanigans. There's a good sword fight in it with Shu Qi and some Japanese guy, I think.

Depending on how far you want to go into crime movies for your action...

I am a big fan of Beat Takeshi's stuff - Violent Cop and Hana Bi in particular. They are more artsy mixed with a bit of the old ultraviolence, though.

Battles Without Honor and Humanity for some great Japanese Yakuza movies with plenty of violent action. Arrow has released a ton of great Japanese crime movies, which generally ride the border of action and crime - Stray Cat Rock, Female Prisoner Scorpion, Massacre Gun, Street Mobster, Doberman Cop are all a blast if you like 60s/70s exploitation/crime/action.

Zero Woman is a good 70s Japanese pinky revenge flick that's somewhat NSFW.

Looking forward to checking out the Street Fighter and Sister Street Fighter movies that are both coming out in bluray sets soon. Never seen them for some reason.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone saw the two Raids and wants more, I highly recommend Headshot and The Night Comes for Us. I believe they're both on Netflix, and they feature much of the same cast as the two Raid movies. I don't think they're quite as good, and they're definitely a little grungier and messier, but goddamn once they get going they GET GOING. Here's the post I made about The Night Comes for Us when I was still riding the high of having watched it:

Apologies for bumping this, but I just got around to watching this and FUCK ME how am I not going to talk about THAT!?

What an incredible fucking movie! I mean, I have some complaints about the early going, but I'll get to those later because oh my God does the final half-hour or so leave such an incredible impression. Joe Taslim vs. Julie Estelle was incredible. Julie Estelle vs. the "Lesbian weirdos" was pure art. Joe Taslim vs. Iko Uwais is an absolute masterpiece, all-time-great, Jackie-Chan-tier final fight. Fuckin' dude. I mean, in the same way that Jackie looked at that shopping mall in Hong Kong and figured out how to break every single pane of glass with someone's face, you can tell that Joe and Iko looked at every tool and piece of equipment in that warehouse and found something horrific to do with it. I don't think I've ever watched a movie that had me screaming and laughing and peeking out from between my fingers as much as this one did. Have I said oh my God yet? Because OH MY GOD! IT WENT THROUGH HIS MOUTH!

I'm going to go and track down Timo Tjahjanto's other movies, because between this and Headshot he's making an incredible career for himself. They're cheap and nasty and grimy, but when they hit they hit so hard and I fucking love it. I usually don't like it when movies get so brutal; mean for mean's sake is something I usually really dislike. But there's a mile-wide black comedy streak here that has me laughing along with them the whole time, and I can't get enough. Any time I start thinking that maybe I'm imagining things and maybe the movie does take itself seriously, there'll be some totally ridiculous scene like Joe Taslim's hysterical slapstick routine as he escapes from the blown-up police van, or the little girl stabbing a dude in the neck like ten times, and I'm back on board.

I'll watch Indonesian stuntmen scream and kill eachother all day long, but the thing that really disappointed me here is the really unforgivable use of the "let's all attack the hero one at a time" trope. Like, I know it's super hard to choreograph one vs. many fights. I totally get it, and I genuinely do sympathize. There's no way to realistically have one guy beat more than like two dudes who genuinely want to stop him; you always have to fudge it. But you really need to fudge it better than they do here. Stage the fights in narrow environments, have the hero run away and throw stuff at his pursuers to thin the herd, and if all else fails just hide the non-fighting players out of frame, but for the love of God don't stage a massive fight in a huge empty room and clearly film all the guys in the background not fighting. I'm not talking about things you only notice in cropped, slowed-down, looping gifs; when you're watching a scene for the first time and you can count the guys in frame who aren't doing anything, that's bad. Not as bad as recent Donnie Yen stuff, where every fight has twenty extra dudes just standing there mean-muggin' for no reason, but still pretty bad. This is where Headshot's ultra-tight, almost claustrophobic framing really helped. There's no room for non-fighting extras in frame when the entire fight takes place between the seats on a bus :P

And, yeah, the story is hard to follow and the structure is all weird and they spend way too much time with characters whose significance and motivations are only revealed much later after they've already been killed and you don't care any more, but, y'know, I'll forgive a lot when the action is this good. Honestly that one kill in the police van where Joe Taslim tases the one guy into blowing the other one's head off is worth the price of admission alone. It's messy and ugly and mean and maybe the most violent thing I've ever seen, and I absolutely adored it. Also yes please make a sequel with Julie Estelle in the lead (and Joe and Iko recast as new characters and left totally unexplained like Yayan Ruhian in Raid 2).

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I really love Fearless. It has great fighting scenes and a pretty well told story for a martial arts movie. Jet Li is a great Huo Yuanjia.
tumblr_p96jtrEehi1wstc5to1_400.gif

Shout-out OP for the mention of Kiss of the Dragon, definitely my favorite American Jet Li movie.

Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched 8 Diagram Pole Fighter for the hundredth time the other day.

I love the style of old Hong Kong martial arts films. The camera zooms, the exaggerated sound effects, the melodrama, the voice dubbing. The current films that use the same settings and themes and time periods never quite match that feeling. Newer movies have surpassed them in terms of action choreography though; the conveyance of speed, power, and technical ability is far more impressive today.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
This is a bit embarrassing but I'm gonna plug my podcast. I don't claim to know anything and it's really just an excuse to get together with friends and watch Asian action films.

Asian Action Cast

Last one was The Night Comes For Us. The one before was Come Drink With Me.

Last edited:

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Re: Born - My favourite movie from last year. The second half is basically 50 minutes of this non-stop.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Re: Born - My favourite movie from last year. The second half is basically 50 minutes of this non-stop.

This movie fucks. Honestly, if people can watch the first thirty seconds of this video and not want to watch it, I don't know what to say to them.

The whole concept is just 100% brilliant. Ex-special-forces guy is so highly trained that he instinctively knows when someone is going to pull the trigger, and he makes sure he isn't in the path of the bullet when they do. GO. I'm not a huge fan of some of the later scenes where he's killing dozens of guys at once and it gets a little silly, but I still can't recommend it enough.

Also for any Metal Gear fans, the villain is played by Akio Otsuka (Japanese voice of Snake/Big Boss), dressed just like old Big Boss:

hYeURoH.png

Last edited:

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
This movie fucks. Honestly, if people can watch the first thirty seconds of this video and not want to watch it, I don't know what to say to them.

The whole concept is just 100% brilliant. Ex-special-forces guy is so highly trained that he instinctively knows when someone is going to pull the trigger, and he makes sure he isn't in the path of the bullet when they do. GO. I'm not a huge fan of some of the later scenes where he's killing dozens of guys at once and it gets a little silly, but I still can't recommend it enough.

Oh this is on Prime video here in Japan. I know what I'm watching later tonight.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
One of my favorites, just so wacky and fun:

and for a classic:

Sammo Hung is one of the best, he gave many others a chance and their start in the industry, even outsiders like Cynthia Rothrock who ended up flourishing in Asian action movies, even moreso then over here in the states.

XpURmFB.gif
xx7Qf05.gif

9yqwIwJ.gif
Sts0kB6.gif
DzeNxoJ.gif

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
One of my favorites, just so wacky and fun:

and for a classic:

Sammo Hung is one of the best, he gave many others a chance and their start in the industry, even outsiders like Cynthia Rothrock who ended up flourishing in Asian action movies, even moreso then over here in the states.

XpURmFB.gif
xx7Qf05.gif

9yqwIwJ.gif
Sts0kB6.gif
DzeNxoJ.gif

I gotta watch these daaaaaang. Are the gifs from Yuen Biao?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I gotta watch these daaaaaang. Are the gifs from Yuen Biao?

No, Yuen Biao is an actor (he was the star of The Prodigal Son), he's in a lot of these movies, he's actually in every movie that those gif's are from, as well as almost any Sammo Hung/Jackie Chan movie (Meal on Wheels).

The Cynthia gifs are from:
Shanghai Express (aka The Millionaires Express)
Yes, Madam!
Above the Law (aka Righting Wrongs).

I'd also suggest Magic Crystal, the movie itself is a bit corny and over the top, the story is absurd and it's not really what I'd call "great" in that department, but what it has is some GREAT fighting scenes.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
No, Yuen Biao is an actor (he was the star of The Prodigal Son), he's in a lot of these movies, he's actually in every movie that those gif's are from, as well as almost any Sammo Hung/Jackie Chan movie (Meal on Wheels).

The Cynthia gifs are from:
Shanghai Express (aka The Millionaires Express)
Yes, Madam!
Above the Law (aka Righting Wrongs).

I'd also suggest Magic Crystal, the movie itself is a bit corny and over the top, the story is absurd and it's not really what I'd call "great" in that department, but what it has is some GREAT fighting scenes.
I watch these flicks for the fight scenes, so I can look past the plot if it's too silly or bad.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I always liked the weird stuff. Anyone interested in some totally bonkers stuff should try looking up these mind-benders:
Miracle Fighters
Drunken Wu-Tang
City Hunter
The Legend Of Wisely
Eternal Evil Of Asia
Holy Virgin vs Evil Dead

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
city hunter, as in an adaption of the manga?
have you seen the hong kong adaption of wicked city?
Yes, Jackie Chan did a City Hunter adaption. I understand it's not that faithful to the original but I don't know it.
And yes, I've got Wicked City on VHS somewhere. I can't remember a lot about it though.

I was MASSIVELY into this stuff in the early 2000s. Even wrote for a magazine at one point, but I kind of moved onto other things.

speedwagen

Oct 27, 2017
UK, London
He tried to direct ong bak 2 and 3, which didn't really work out for him. Then he became a priest for a bit iirc.
EDIT: He is also set to appear in the monster hunter movie, so there is that to look forward to ahah

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
city hunter, as in an adaption of the manga?
have you seen the hong kong adaption of wicked city?

City Hunter includes the classic Jackie Chan as Chun Li fight sequence.

It's directed by Wong Jing, which is either a big positive or negative, depending on your tolerance for slapstick and visual gags.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I really love Fearless. It has great fighting scenes and a pretty well told story for a martial arts movie. Jet Li is a great Huo Yuanjia.
tumblr_p96jtrEehi1wstc5to1_400.gif

Shout-out OP for the mention of Kiss of the Dragon, definitely my favorite American Jet Li movie.
Yeah Fearless is incredible. Probably my favorite martial arts film of all time, definitely my favourite Jet Li film. The story is really well told and Li really did his thing in regards to both fighting and acting.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched 8 Diagram Pole Fighter for the hundredth time the other day.

I love the style of old Hong Kong martial arts films. The camera zooms, the exaggerated sound effects, the melodrama, the voice dubbing. The current films that use the same settings and themes and time periods never quite match that feeling. Newer movies have surpassed them in terms of action choreography though; the conveyance of speed, power, and technical ability is far more impressive today.

The climax of Eight Diagram Pole Fighter is insane. The level of intricacy in choreography with the huge number of people involved blows my mind.

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
Yesterday I watched Kung Fu Hustle, I wasn't not expecting it to be so zany. It was fun.
One of my favorite fights comes from Dunken Master 2.

Anyone have any recommendations for something similar to Iron Monkey or Crouching tiger hidden dragon?