• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Put it on the wish list. Maybe I'll bite later. Got Timespinner when it was on sale and haven't even started it yet. Also eyeing Blasphemous, but the difficulty reports are making me think twice.

Blasphemous isn't that hard compared to a lot of metroidvania honestly. The spike area that was too frustrating at release was also updated. If the setting appeals to you, check it out. I personally loved it.

Kunai looks good and very fun to play. Launch trailer sold me on it.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Looks cool! I may have to snag it later on down the line. I have so many games on my plate at the moment.

Never heard of this one until today, which is always a pleasant surprise when you learn of a new game, and it's already available to purchase if you want! 😂

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Bought it today on PC, a bit less than 2h in, seems to be progressing relatively quickly.
A lot of charm, nice music and artstyle, plays well, but I don't always feel in control of the character. It also feels a lot more linear than I expected.
Reminds me more of something like Iconoclasts or Owlboy in the end.

Ghil

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly finished with the game, I had a blast. There's two fights I didn't like, and a couple of autoscroller sections I would banish, but apart from that, it was a great game. Highly recommend.

Edit: For those asking: the game is about 10 hours long. I would say if you beeline, you can get to the end in 6-8 hours.

Feb 4, 2018
I'm not usually into 2D platformers, but I'm a sucker for grappling hooks and hats sooo I guess I have to get it now. The art is really cute too.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone beaten it yet? How long is the playtime?
Yeah i beat it today after stopping exploring because i realized i had missed one of the chests forever (you can't go back to the stage later on).
Took me 6 hours it seems. I'd say 8-10 for 100% completion depending of your skill level, it's quite an easy game overall.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Just beat the game. Pretty solid Metroidvania. Sort of game me Gato Robato vibes a bit?

I breezed through the game pretty quickly with no troubles, but goddamn that final boss gave me some trouble. Took me over an hour to beat him.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Game now has an Opencritic page and is sitting at a "Strong" 77 score:
opencritic.com

Kunai Reviews

Kunai is rated 'Strong' after being reviewed by 48 critics, with an overall average score of 76. It's ranked in the top 37% of games and recommended by 63% of critics.

Haven't beaten it yet but the game is really good. Thanks for bringing it to my attention OP.

Good to hear!

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kunai Review:

Ever since the 1980s, when Ninjas became a staple of American pop culture, developers have been building video games around them. The ninjas are the "cool" characters; fast, agile combatants with a unique Japanese style. The power fantasy of the ninja is to quickly, confidently move through rooms, katana in hand, dispatching foes before they even know what hit them. Kunai, developed by TurtleBlaze, demonstrates this as well as any 2D game in recent memory.

You play at "Tabby", a Tablet with the inexplicable ninja skills. Set across a post-apocalyptic Metroid-style game, you set off to defeat the evil Robot overlord who has nearly wiped out all humanity on Earth. Its a pretty generic sci-fi plot, but its the kind of simple premise that anyone can grasp and carries us straight into the action.

What makes Kunai special, and what separates it from the million other Metrodvania-style indies out there, is hinted at right there in the title. Very shortly after you gain control of Tabby, you find a pair of Kunai. These are half Bionic Commando, half Ninja Five-O, controlled with their corresponding shoulder buttons, allowing you to zip and swing around the map. There's actually a decent skill ceiling to their usage, making traversal a very active element that's challenged over the course of the game. You gain new abilities that open even more movement options, such as the double jump and a dash that can go through enemies, that make you feel like a ninja badass.

Combat is similarly inspired. Your main weapon is a Katana, that starts with a Strider-style attack that can be mashed and deflect projectiles, but it can also be charged up for a homing attack on enemies and you zip across the screen slashing. Along with expanded movement options, you gain new sub-weapons like an electric shruiken that can stun enemies, or a pair of SMGs that can be used like a jetpack when fired down to cross otherwise uncrossable chasms. Enemy design is surprisingly varied, and grows in lethality as the adventure goes on. The game encourages mastery of utilizing your movement and combat abilities in tandem.

Progression is typical of Metroid-style games, with several distinct areas connected together. Every level is filled with unique combat or platforming challenges, and opens up when you earn new abilities. The Map and NPCs usually indicate where you're supposed to go next, but there's definitely some backtracking involved since there aren't any fast travel points. However, there are plenty of save stations, and just moving around the game is an absolute joy. Players can very quickly traverse areas with familiarity, katana bouncing off of enemies and kunai climbing around obstacles.

The world is drawn with a distinct, minimalist art style, reminiscent of the classic Game Boy, with smart color choices and detailed level design. While enemies are usually in dark, red hues, friendly NPCs litter the game in light, cool blue tones. These NPCs work both as navigation tools, but also add a bit of humor and character to the world. One cute touch is our protagonist, Tabby, is a Tablet, who's face is constantly making expressions depending on context. My favorite expression is the pure joy on his face when he finds one of the many Hats scattered through the game, a completely cosmetic addition that nonetheless is always exciting when you bump into one.

Kunai is as sharp and balanced as the blade Tabby wields. The team at Turtleblaze has taken that old school love for japanese action games and put them in a polished, modern package. It stands out from the crowd of indie platformers with a confident design and its slick ninja style.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
just got to the
zen mountain
, how far into the game am I? feels about 75% I think Ive played around 6ish hours? hard to tell with no timer.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
the last boss is a ridiculous difficulty spike jesus christ.

edit: as I say that of course I kill it lol :D

Last edited:

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well well well... this game seems to've come out of absolutely nowhere and is right up my alley. I've got some eShop credit and think I might take the plunge...

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Still got it on my wishlist. Funds are sitting at $65 and I'm debating about getting animal crossing digitally.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Anyone help me figure
Out how to get back to Haunted Factory? I have the core. The overworld map makes it look like Abandoned Subnet gets you there but it just takes me to Fallen City or Crypto Mines or whatever...

[edit]
of course I found it a half second later.

Last edited:

dred

Oct 27, 2017
The last boss frustrated me at times because it's so much harder than anything else in the game, but once I got in my Order of Ecclesia head-space I enjoyed it quite a bit. I actually liked it so much I loaded up my save and beat the boss 2 or 3 more times, and as with any well designed boss in this genre the repeat clears felt like a breeze compared to the path to clear number one. In hindsight I wish the game had more bosses on the same level!

Overall the game was a lot of fun and I hope we see a sequel someday.