• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
wK40EH5.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC, Switch
Release Date:
PC, Switch - February 6th, 2020​
Genre: Exploratory Platformer (Metroidvania)
Price: 16.99 $/€
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
Developer: TurtleBlaze
Publisher: The Arcade Crew, Gamera Games
Size: ~1 GB

gif1.gif

erbtgUq.png

What is Kunai?
KUNAI is a quirky, fast-paced action adventure / metroidvania. You play as Tabby, a tablet who joins the fight against a robot uprising. Use your kunai and ninja parkour skills to stop Lemonkus, the A.I.-gone-evil that almost wiped out all human life.

How long is the game?
First playthrough has an estimated 8-10 hour length but that will vary depending on your playstyle.

Procedurally generated world or is it a handcrafted one?
The latter. Kunai has a static, universal, map.

Difficulty options?
There's just one standard difficulty in the game.

How does character progression work?
You'll find ability granting items throughout the story and be able to purchase character upgrades with the currency you collect in the game.

Is there an in-game map?
Yes.

HD Rumble on Switch?
Yes.

Ultrawide support on PC?
No, the game forces a 16x9 aspect ratio.

What time does the game launch?
3PM CET.

PS4/XB1 port?
There was talk of them early on, but it depends on how successful the initial launch on PC/Switch is.

Physical release?

KvjzFMQ.png

ss_edf3e5ee858bb971c62b57611dc096ff19063834.600x338.jpg
ss_1b737166b94060e71556f25123601a12a1179025.600x338.jpg

ss_9825b10a0a539bfa4c54f254dfd2bf74c1bc33e3.600x338.jpg
ss_a2011a5751151a766be1dd4c1ec6f215a50aac63.600x338.jpg

KUNAI_KUNAI_GIF.gif

2BRjbdw.png

Metacritic
PC | Switch
Opencritic

COGCONNECTED 81/100
While the act of having a fast-paced platformer where you're jumping off walls and going through enemies isn't at all a new experience, Kunai really makes a name for itself. If you're looking for a fast-paced, action-packed adventure where you can pull off some sweet parkour moves all the while wielding Ninja weapons, I highly recommend checking out Kunai. The controls are incredibly easy to learn but not easy to master, making this a superb game for beginners in the genre to our hardcore speedrunning fans. Not to mention paired with a unique if, albeit simple story, interesting story design and wonderful art design, you really can't go wrong with this title.

TheSixthAxis 7/10
Kunai is an expressive, stylish and retro-tinged metroidvania that kept me engaged the entire time I played it. The feeling of slowly mastering the rope-kunai and being able to flawlessly swing around environments and flank enemies was incredibly satisfying. I only wish the rest of your abilities in the game had the same kind of skill ceiling to reach, because without any cool reasons to deflect bullets, why bother having the ability to do so in the first place?

SavingContent 4/5
TurtleBlaze and The Arcade Crew have something special in KUNAI. It's what they call a "techroidvania" which, you know what means, and you know what kind of game this is. KUNAI is full of style and self-aware humor that blends so well. KUNAI has zippy traversal, swift combat, and satisfying progression that makes it an early must-play for the year.

Noisy Pixel 9/10
Kunai is a thoroughly fantastic game, taking some of the best elements of the genre and putting them into one parkouring package. It's apparent that a lot of care went into fine-tuning weapons and Kunai to make your actions feel as instinctual as they are fun. Kunai is one of the most unexpected and delightful gaming experiences I've had in a long time. Noisy Pixel gives Kunai a 9 out of 10.

VLg53xM.png

Official Site
Soundtrack

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming you can turn the awful screen-shake off I might give it a go. Looks good.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
this game looks awesome as hell! love the animation and from what I see the gameplay! hope this reviews well!

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand whats going on in that GIF. Does your sword slash cover like half the screen or something?

ginnokane

Oct 28, 2017
Ooh, I see projectiles being reflected back similar to Katana Zero. That, and the art style have placed this firmly on my radar. Looking forward to impressions.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Always down for more metroidvanias. Wishlisted and will wait for some impressions.

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, looks sick. I have seen this game before on several indie games focused YT channels I follow, but I didn't know this was supposed to be a Metroidvania.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot about this game! Looking forward to seeing some reviews, I'm in the mood for a metroidvania.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Seems that there's going to be more indie metroidvanias than you can shake a stick at this year.
Wasn't another indie metroidvania meant to be releasing today? Or yesterday?
This one looks good though, but I'll wait on reviews.

Tabby is a cute name. I often use Tabitha as a name if I play as a girl in some games, I like it that much.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Seems that there's going to be more indie metroidvanias than you can shake a stick at this year.
Wasn't another indie metroidvania meant to be releasing today? Or yesterday?
This one looks good though, but I'll wait on reviews.

Tabby is a cute name. I often use Tabitha as a name if I play as a girl in some games, I like it that much.

Yeah, Mindseize was supposed to release yesterday.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Anyone else having issues downloading the game? I went to Nintendo E-shop and all it says is that the anticipated release date is Feb 6. but theres no option to download yet.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Hype, shame it came a day late as I thought it was the 6th yesterday up until around 20 minutes ago even though I wrote the date today and yesterday about 50 times each haha, god damn it!

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I was pretty sold already but the QuickLook just cemented that motherfucker into the BUY BUY BUY category.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
About an hour in so far! Pretty good from what I've played of it. Tabby's movements feel great and fluid. I really dig the art style too.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
I bit on this one last night, played for an hour or so and it feels great so far. I really love how Tabby's facial expressions change depending on what you're doing, it's a minor detail that really puts a smile on my face.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Put it on the wish list. Maybe I'll bite later. Got Timespinner when it was on sale and haven't even started it yet. Also eyeing Blasphemous, but the difficulty reports are making me think twice.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Another very very very small gripe. When wearing hats, and using the grapple, jumping off walls or flipping causes the hat to disappear for a fraction of a second, it happens consistently. Check the GB Quick look, around 2:58 every time Ben jumps the equipped hat goes away until he lands. I haven't seen it yet for myself in my game, didn't get far enough last night, but that's going to annoy the hell out of me.