• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
MCU is amazing

this is real positive representation

we used to have apu, now we have twitter thirsty over kumail

feige pushing the envelope

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have no idea if he's lifted before, had existing muscle mass covered in fat, or what his caloric surplus is. I don't think eating more than 500 calories surplus will make him fat, especially depending on the macronutrient breakdown of what he's eating (which again, we don't know)

If you're point was there's simply a limit to how quickly you can put on mass and it's possible to eat and exercise too much, then yes, I agree (although that should go without saying, as that's the case with anything done in excess, so I assumed there was more to your statement than that)
He specifically says in his post that he credits his old trainer for him having a strength/training base to work from. He doesn't look particularly huge, just super cut and vascular. Doesn't seem too outrageous for a year of work with perfect diet?

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Oh God this thread reminded me that people refer to steroids as "gear" and have conversations like normal people talk that way.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm reminded of Vitor Belfor once they started to introduce more stringent drug testing

yWwzksy.jpg
If only he had the Hollywood trainers that Kumail had, and time to actually work out every day!

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course you still have to put in the hard work, but people don't realize how much steroids help. I worked out 2 hours a day 6 days a week for a year. I looked great and was really proud of my progress.

Meanwhile, a person I knew worked out an hour a day, took steroids and had almost double my lifted in a years time and started almost 50lbs lighter than me.

Both of us worked hard. Both of us had great results. But the amount difference was staggering.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
So what exactly are the dangers of roids? Are there really any drawbacks if supervised by proffesionals? Like, I assume if all these mega A-list stars are doing it as everyone in here is saying it must be pretty damn safe?

As a little kid I used to hear all the time that steroids would shrink your dick and give you extreme roid rage. Was that just to scare people or is that true?
Everyone reacts differently to steroids, and different compounds have varying levels of effectiveness and side effects. Professional bodybuilders are on cocktails, while your average fitness Instagrammer is probably on trenbolone. A celebrity trainer would probably "prescribe" an anavar cycle (orally administrated and less hepatotoxic) or even SARMs like RAD-140 which are not as suppressive on your natural testosterone but less effective than real steroids.

The big risk to all of the above is that an improper cycle can lead to a shutdown of the HPTA, which results in permanently suppressed natural testosterone, at which point they will have to go on hormone replacement therapy (AKA doctor prescribed steroids) for the rest of their life. Smaller balls due to suppression is temporary if the cycle is done properly, so celebs are at little risk to this. Long term users like The Rock are at increased risk of heart and liver disease due to the toxicity of steroids (especially oral) and because their heart has to work extra hard to support all that muscle.

EDIT: Other common side effects -- gynecomastia if testosterone aromatization isn't kept under control, quickened hair loss if the user is genetically predisposed to balding, mood changes (both "roid rage" and depression), decreased libido, and more.

Last edited:

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone reacts differently to steroids, and different compounds have varying levels of effectiveness and side effects. Professional bodybuilders are on cocktails, while your average fitness Instagrammer is probably on trenbolone. A celebrity trainer would probably "prescribe" an anavar cycle (orally administrated and less hepatotoxic) or even SARMs like RAD-140 which are not as suppressive on your natural testosterone but less effective than real steroids.

The big risk to all of the above is that an improper cycle can lead to a shutdown of the HPTA, which results in permanently suppressed natural testosterone, at which point they will have to go on hormone replacement therapy (AKA doctor prescribed steroids) for the rest of their life. Smaller balls due to suppression is temporary if the cycle is done properly, so celebs are at little risk to this. Long term users like The Rock are at increased risk of heart and liver disease due to the toxicity of steroids (especially oral) and because their heart has to work extra hard to support all that muscle.

EDIT: Other common side effects -- gynecomastia if testosterone aromatization isn't kept under control, quickened hair loss if the user is genetically predisposed to balding, mood changes (both "roid rage" and depression), decreased libido, and more.
Man, this shit doesn't sound worth it at all!

Deleted member 62100

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2019
Man, this shit doesn't sound worth it at all!

The ironic thing is that from an aesthetic standpoint, naturals tend to look better because they look... more natural. They're adhering to correct physical proportions, something that steroids will often force you out of (i.e. oversized traps, delts, relative to the rest of the upper body). From what I've read (and once again I may be wrong), most women prefer male physiques that are tall and lean. Think your average Abercrombie & Fitch model with maybe some (naturally attainable) muscular definition.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Short amount of time to prepare for a role, they train a lot. Roids help with recovery. Considering studies show overtraining leads to decrease in strength, and even muscle loss, when it comes to weight training, less is more.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
The ironic thing is that from an aesthetic standpoint, naturals tend to look better because they look... more natural. They're adhering to correct physical proportions, something that steroids will often force you out of (i.e. oversized traps, delts, relative to the rest of the upper body). From what I've read (and once again I may be wrong), most women prefer male physiques that are tall and lean. Think your average Abercrombie & Fitch model with maybe some (naturally attainable) muscular definition.
So if someone wanted to take a small amount to just get shredded but not huge, is that safe?

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
As they say, you start lifting to impress the gals. You keep lifting to impress the guys.

Deleted member 62100

Banned
Dec 12, 2019
So if someone wanted to take a small amount to just get shredded but not huge, is that safe?

I would do my research. And I would think about whether or not I'm the sort of person who could overdo it or become addicted. But before that, I would just try to train naturally. Working out can be very rewarding, regardless of age or sex.

As they say, you start lifting to impress the gals. You keep lifting to impress the guys.

I remember a video of that one guy who had giant, malformed biceps. He probably injected himself with something. He'd say that when he walked into a room, the women would be disgusted, but the guys would want to give him props and take pictures with him.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
His vascularity is insane. Must've dehydrated himself for a couple days before that photo, like Hugh Jackman always talks about.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
No effective amount is safe from side effects, because everyone is affected differently. Not everyone is gonna do a cycle and come out looking like Arnold, or even Brad Pitt in Fight Club (which is totally obtainable naturally!). There are a few PEDs-related subreddits where people post their cycle logs with before and after pics and there's a vast amount of variance between results. Fact is, unless you've been working out seriously for at least 2 years, you're wasting your time on PEDs. On the other hand, research does show that even a single cycle will forever improve your muscularity and strength... but as they say, no one ever does a single cycle. Like pgrs84 says, it's addictive. I myself plan on eventually "hopping on" when I hit 40, but for now, my natural testosterone levels are still very good at 32.

I remember a video of that one guy who had giant biceps. He probably injected himself with something, he'd say that when he walked into a room, the women would be disgusted, but the guys would want to give him props and take pictures with him.
Yeah, he probably injected synthol or a similar substance. Pro bodybuilders use it filler to improve weak points, but there are some synthol addicts out there that look like human balloons.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
He specifically says in his post that he credits his old trainer for him having a strength/training base to work from. He doesn't look particularly huge, just super cut and vascular. Doesn't seem too outrageous for a year of work with perfect diet?
It's pretty impossible for someone of that age who doesn't really have a history of working out and doesn't seem to have a genetic pre-disposition to be lean and cut to look like that even after a year. It's steroids, guys. Like the rest of the MCU.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Some people here think vascularity means steroids. lmao
If he already had veiny arms at higher body fat percentage then his arms would look even more veiny at single digit body fat. I have a friend who has arms that are vascular af even when he's at higher BF, meanwhile I barely get any vascularity even at 10% BF.

Basically some people are just have more visible vascularity and nothing's disgusting about it. These pictures are also taken immediately after a pump and in flattering lighting conditions that make everything pop out more than they normally do under everyday condition. Check his picture of playing on PS4, his biceps don't look as vascular there.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty impossible for someone of that age who doesn't really have a history of working out and doesn't seem to have a genetic pre-disposition to be lean and cut to look like that even after a year. It's steroids, guys. Like the rest of the MCU.
But apparently he does have a history of working out?

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why are so many people so concerned to let everyone know that they know he's on steroids?

I mean sometimes people have the excuse of telling people that they want to fight unrealistic standards and expectations, but Kumail does that in the very same post that the picture is in, so that can't be it.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Why are so many people so concerned to let everyone know that they know he's on steroids?

I mean sometimes people have the excuse of telling people that they want to fight unrealistic standards and expectations, but Kumail does that in the very same post that the picture is in, so that can't be it.
They want people to know he's on steroids because then his accomplishments aren't his, which makes them feel better about themselves...and that's much, much sadder than taking PEDs for a job.

Deleted member 62100

Banned
Dec 12, 2019
I mean, it seems like he's worked out, but not at the level to have a base where this would be a transformation you could do in less than a year.

If he were 20 years younger, naturally from a dead start he'd be able to put on maybe 10-15lbs of lean body mass in a year. (It depends a lot on his frame size IIRC - a heavier frame correlates with higher growth potential. Older genetic muscular potential models would've pegged it closer to twice that amount but they've since been revised.)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Oh God this thread reminded me that people refer to steroids as "gear" and have conversations like normal people talk that way.
Are you implying normal people don't use "gear" in conversation?

Virtually anyone I've ever heard use it IRL has been a normal person, albeit either a gym bro or a tradesperson. And I heard it offline long before online.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

Excuse me if this has been posted, but you get a better idea of how Kumail's body normally looks.

My dude still looks built, but there is definitely a difference between the prepared pro-shot pics in the OP and this one

They want people to know he's on steroids because then his accomplishments aren't his, which makes them feel better about themselves...and that's much, much sadder than taking PEDs for a job.
Idk about that.

It seems some folks are still in denial about how effective juice is and how easy it is to obtain in the industry. That doesn't take away from the physique he crafted, but I always found it interesting how bodybuilding is the one profession where there actually is a clearly defined short cut, but no one ever really wants to accept or talk about it

My pop was a body builder back in his day, and when I started lifting myself, and he was very direct in letting me know there are hard limits when you're staying natural. More young dudes should be aware of that limitation and not go in thinking they're gonna as big and lean as Hemz and Kumail in a year's time.

Oct 28, 2017
I wish his Twilight Zone episode was only 30 minutes. I liked him in his dramatic story but the 45 mi ute runtime forced a lot of filler in. Hopefully his star continues to rise.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I thought that sort of giant arm veins was the result of steroids. that's what my body building friend told me about Stallone's similarly huge veins. surely Kumail didn't roid up for this role?

Nah it's related to your BF% and shedding water weight before a photo shoot. You don't stay that lean

My dude still looks built, but there is definitely a difference between the prepared pro-shot pics in the OP and this one

Idk about that.

It seems some folks are still in denial about how effective juice is and how easy it is to obtain in the industry. That doesn't take away from the physique he crafted, but I always found it interesting how bodybuilding is the one profession where there actually is a clearly defined short cut, but no one ever really wants to accept or talk about it

My pop was a body builder back in his day, and when I started lifting myself, and he was very direct in letting me know there are hard limits when you're staying natural. More young dudes should be aware of that limitation and not go in thinking they're gonna as big and lean as Hemz and Kumail in a year's time.

You can definitely hit that physique in a year non steroids but it's going to take a ton of energy and discipline. I'm not saying he didn't do roids which is still possible but I am saying his build is completely doable without the juice and in that time frame (wait did I just say the same thing twice...oh no my legs are numb I've been on the toilet too long)

His vascularity is insane. Must've dehydrated himself for a couple days before that photo, like Hugh Jackman always talks about.

Yup

Last edited:

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
That photo was probably taken after working out and a good loss of water weight to make him look more "shredded" than he's normally been walking around. Just like a lot of shirtless scenes with actors showing off a six pack and body builders. Great on him though, wish that got addressed in Silicon Valley. Back when I was in shape I'd have a good deal of vascular poppage too after a hard workout.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i knew there was all kinds of crazy going on in this thread

41 isn't geriatric, completely feasible to get that cut over 6-12 months assuming he was in reasonable shape from the start (haven't watched the last two seasons of SV, dunno what he was working with). not saying for sure he did it clean, but yeesh

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
If he were 20 years younger, naturally from a dead start he'd be able to put on maybe 10-15lbs of lean body mass in a year. (It depends a lot on his frame size IIRC - a heavier frame correlates with higher growth potential. Older genetic muscular potential models would've pegged it closer to twice that amount but they've since been revised.)

Yeah exactly. But 41? No way.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Why exactly do we care if movie stars are juicing to get those superhero bodies? It's for movies, not for sports >_>

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Bless up for giving a pakistani breh some shine and giving him the superhero workout plan

Im not a big fan of marvels output but this upcoming platform theyre giving brown ppl is dope as hell for sure.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm crying at the saying he's on PED's= body shaming, only on this site lmao.

Him going from someone that has never really worked out to looking like that in only a year… shifting from nada to the amount of complete stress on your body It would take to build that kind of muscle.. at FOURTY ONE years old... come on y'all don't be so naive . TRT stays winning ( and there's nothing a wrong with that)

If someone pops into the thread and their only comment is "he did lots of drugs" with nothing else (which is like 1/4 of the post in this thread it seems) then all they're doing is trying to minimize his accomplishment. So yes, I can see that as a sort of body shaming. At the very least it makes you look incredibly petty.

Even if he used PEDs it's still impressive and requires a lot of work and discipline.