• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for who every is playing The Forgotten One

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
hey someone pay me huge amounts of money to get fit please

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be very fascinated to know what the Hollywood fitness regime is. That kind of progress in a year is something else

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
That's impressive but I wish Marvel would mix things up with how a superhero is supposed to look and not simply give us Fat Thor for the cheap laughs. We often talk about the objectification of women and the troubles actresses have to go through to "appeal" to the general audience (and that's all true and has to change), but here we have Kumail, a funny and intelligent guy, that stands out for his charisma and humor, that wasn't in extreme shape but wasn't that bad (he was "normal" I would say), that has to go through all this to fit into the role model. I'm not sure I'm onboard with this. And I know he feels proud, worked his ass off and deserves too look this good. But as he says, this transformation is almost impossible for someone living a normal life without the resources he mentioned.

Based on his wording, I'm not sure he was actually required to do this. He saw the opportunity for it with all the resources Marvel has to offer and went for it.

I hate to be like, I'm not like other girls about this but I've been watching gay Twitter have a horny meltdown about this for the last 45 minutes and I absolutely cannot understand. Nothing to do with Kumail specifically--he's cute. But the vascularity and the cutness here are actively a turnoff. And yet this is what our culture demands for movie stars now? I dunno, man. I dunno.

You're not alone.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
if he isn't competing and not abusing, would the use of PEDs be an issue? it's pretty much expected especially for a hollywood role

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I thought that sort of giant arm veins was the result of steroids. that's what my body building friend told me about Stallone's similarly huge veins. surely Kumail didn't roid up for this role?
1. Vascularity is part genetics, part low body fat, party dehydration, part pump.
2. He's getting a picture taken by a professional under optimal lighting. He's also oiled up.
3. It's probably digitally altered a bit.

His physique, including the vascularity, is completely achievable naturally if you work really hard, but it's probably not just on the basis of there being no reason whatsoever to do it naturally when you can take PEDs safely under the guidance and supervision of someone who knows what they're doing. Even with PEDs, he'd still have to work his ass off and eat clean, but he just doesn't have to work as hard or eat as clean.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
The guy is a super hero in spandex, Not sure exactly what you are looking for.

I mean, we've been doing superhero movies for a long time. Only recently has the expectation for what a superhero's body looks like in film shifted to become so extreme. But I'm less concerned here with questions of character and filmmaking and more concerned with standards of beauty.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
As I recall, Hugh Jackman explained what has to happen before you do your big "shirtless sweaty beefcake" scenes. You basically drink a ton of water for a week, and then consume *nothing* for a day so that you're retaining as little water weight as possible for maximum cut-ness. Kumail was probably dizzy as fuck right before this pic was taken.

This isn't downplaying what he accomplished at all - you only get to look like that if you work your ass off for a long time. Even with a team, it's ultimately still on you to be disciplined and stick to the plan. There's no one to pull the midnight pizza slice out of your hand. So props to him.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, photoshop is pretty powerful. Somehow got his head convincingly on my body.

Not sure how they got my photo though.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
He looks like an ironic photoshop that his Silicon Valley character would have on his desktop. Just goes to show you that even the "nerdy" characters in Hollywood productions are insanely good-looking by normal standards.

Congrats on his transformation, and on having the humility/common sense/experience to know that it's nearly impossible to achieve those kinds of results in such a timespan without professional assistance.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

Steroids wouldn't be all that useful unless he wanted long term huge muscle gains with limited downtime. HGH might help with the recovery, but judging by his vascularity and low body fat, this is probably just pinpoint dieting with a lot of plyometric and aerobic workouts.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Marvel will never do this. They are still very very much mired in the american standards of beauty and any other body type is, at best, normal and boring and, at worst, to be mocked.
Real talk though, how exactly is a "super-powered" individual supposed to look?

The body generally responds to vigorous activity like running, jumping, kicking, etc. by using body fat reserves as energy. As a result, muscles become more visible, vascularity more visible. This is to say nothing of the muscle growth from weightlifting or calisthenics that a "hero" would do as well.

The characters these people play are really just amped up athletes and athletes fall within a standard continuum ranging from toned to cut to swole, individual body morphology notwithstanding.

So I dunno about this idea that more body types should be represented in these movies because that ignores how the body responds to the kinds of physical activity these characters are performing.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I used to find Kumail one of the most relateable, nice and down to earth celebrities period, but I guess I'll have to drop relateable from that list and settle for the other two traits.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
And money. Mostly money.
Illegal and gray market PEDs are cheaper than legal supplements.
Sample breakdown of a cycle:
"Roids": $30-50, less if you buy in bulk
Post Cycle Therapy drugs: $10-20
Blood Test with insurance: ~$25 x 3 (pre-cycle, post-cycle, post-PCT)

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
SMH at all the people trying to downplay this. Yes, he ate money and took drugs and now he looks like that! Good job!

Even with drugs it takes a lot of hard work, a properly designed working regimen and eating right to achieve this look.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
He's going to play both parts in Stuber 2.
giphy.gif

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
WHAT THE FUCK lmao. This is without a doubt the most impressive celeb transformation I have ever seen

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's been working out for a year, so it's attainable without drugs. But it's constant working out. Not to diminish his achievements. It's awesome. He has solid muscles and a great physique but you don't need drugs to get to his size and shape.

You def need a team of nutritionist and trainers to do that in a year though.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Steroids wouldn't be all that useful unless he wanted long term huge muscle gains with limited downtime. HGH might help with the recovery, but judging by his vascularity and low body fat, this is probably just pinpoint dieting with a lot of plyometric and aerobic workouts.

what? How would they not be useful? He's taking a bunch of shit.