• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nymag.com

Workers Are No Longer Heroes, Kroger Concludes

The grocery-store chain is ending “hero pay” nationwide.

What Kroger giveth, Kroger taketh away. The national grocery-store chain will end a $2 per hour "hero pay" bonus for workers on May 17, the United Food and Commercial Workers union announced on Thursday. Kroger only implemented the raise last month; the pandemic, meanwhile, shows no sign of ending, and the risks for essential workers remain very real.

So how is Kroger doing financially?

Press Release

Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2019 Results
- Fourth Quarter Identical Sales without fuel grew 2.0%, digital sales grew 22%
- Fourth Quarter EPS of $0.40; Adjusted EPS of $0.57, up 18.8%
- Fourth Quarter Operating Profit of $537 million; Adjusted FIFO Operating Profit of $758 million, up 20.7%
- Full Year Identical Sales without fuel grew 2.0%, digital sales grew 29%
- Full Year EPS of $2.04; Adjusted Full Year EPS of $2.19
- Full Year Operating Profit of $2.3 billion; Adjusted Full Year FIFO Operating Profit of $3 billion
- Full Year cost savings of over $1 billion
- Full Year alternative profit streams contribute over $100 million of incremental operating profit
- Confirms Identical Sales without fuel, Adjusted FIFO Operating Profit and Adjusted EPS guidance for 2020

...oh. Well at least the people at top are in this all the same, right?

Did you know CEO @kroger Rodney McMullen made $11,701,917 in total compensation. $1,311,984 received as a salary, $2,692,833 received as a bonus, $2,367,858 received in stock options, $4,999,996 awarded as stock and $329,246 came from other types of compensation

...OH.

At least they have their employees health at heart, right?

In late April, UFCW announced that at least 30 of the grocery-store workers it represents have died of COVID-19. Four Kroger employees died from the virus in Michigan alone.

Kroger waited until April to limit the number of customers allowed in stores at a time, and workers in regional chains that Kroger owns have complained that the company was slow to offer adequate COVID-19 testing and protective gear. Essential workers have said for months that they don't think of themselves as heroes, and aren't asking to be treated as such; they want living wages, protective gear, and safe workplaces. They want fair compensation for their labor, and that's further than Kroger is willing to go.

...OH.

Well, they're just some small time grocery store, right?

The Kroger Company, or simply Kroger, is an American retail company founded by Bernard Kroger in 1883 in Cincinnati, Ohio. It is the United States' largest supermarket by revenue, the second-largest general retailer.

...OH.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This is really disheartening. All the employees at my local Ralphs have been really nice and patient during this entire pandemic.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The King Soopers around here are unionized. Good time for a bit of action from them I imagine.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Real talk, all the people working fast food, at grocery stores, etc. are fucking heroes in the literal sense right now. Without them, the country would have crumbled. They deserve permanent raises, and a lot more respect.

I do curb-side delivery at Walmart these days because of Covid, and I give the people bringing me my food a $20 tip every time I go, because I know they're not being taken care of.

Oct 25, 2017
I do curb-side delivery at Walmart these days because of Covid, and I give the people bringing me my food a $20 tip every time I go, because I know they're not being taken care of.

I'm surprised they accepted that. I would have thought that there's a policy for not accepting tips. Curbside might be an exception though.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
My company ended our raise mid April...then the next week instead they had a "Thank You" week we're all the execs told has thanks for all our hard work...pissed me and others off. More share of the money is how you thank us. And they've been getting on us to cut hours now even though we are still destroying sales. Corporate greed sucks.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they accepted that. I would have thought that there's a policy for not accepting tips. Curbside might be an exception though.

There usually is. And customers get weirdly angry when you refuse tips. It's an awkward situation to be put in. I always accepted them when I worked grocery years and years and years and years ago. I wouldn't have cared that much about being canned though since it was high school.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. Walmart just gave us a $300 bonus, pushed up a quarterly bonus we normally get, and dragged their feet implementing PPE, and other measures for associates. These companies only care about those at the top.

but yea, we are happy to 'serve'. Load of bollocks.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You can only pay by card through curb side, so there's no risk of impropriety. The first time I did curb side delivery, I asked the young woman who brought my food, who looked like she was maybe 19, how she was doing and if she was ok. She mentioned that people were making the employees cry already, but eagerly said "but at least they're letting us keep tips." I told her right on, and I had come prepared to tip her.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was them keeping pace with Amazon and I'm pretty sure that's when their bonus pay ends too.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
yeah, i dont work for Kroger currently but im not looking forward to when my "hero pay" cuts out at the grocery store i work at. i havent heard anything about when it might be ending, but as crazy as it sounds that extra $2 goes a long way. without that, im barely making a wage thats worth it for the trouble of working two jobs, one of them being graveyard shift.

of course, the larger issue at play here is... if they can afford the extra two bucks now, why not, like, forever? its clearly not hitting their bottom line very badly right now, and once we're somewhat clear of all this chances are profits are only going to increase even further. the wages are at what they shouldve been at this entire time, if not more.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Kroger is evil. I get sick whenever I see their recent commercials thanking their employees. Like instead of spending millions on a commercial why not dump money into their accounts.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
not defending a greedy corporation but for some low earners like me 2 extra hourly dollars (or euros for me) would be a godsend :/ i've gotten nothing but a rent raise during this pandemic and i work in an ER, often right next to the COVID unit (thankfully not busy atm but i fear it will get worse again)..

selfish post sorry :D i just get pissed every time im reminded of the goddamn fucking useless landlord raising my rent and not getting any type of hazard pay extra at work. i'd honestly be happy with a few extra euros per day, so i could save a little in case food prices start going up.. i cant possibly be asking for too much right? ohh i forgot, we got candy bars from our boss last week, yay..

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Even if they're unionized it won't matter much in the scheme of things.

Chain I work overnights for is union, we also only got $2 extra an hour though they at least call it hazard pay. Was supposed to end May 2nd(though it started in March), was extended til the 15th, no idea afterwards, so imagine this is commonplace.

It is rather awesome working near 40 hours a week, not full time so no health care of any kind whatsoever, but hey if you want hours you can work as many as you want! Was also great when the CDC itself changed it's guidelines so if you were around someone that actually tested positive, as an "essential worker" you only have to self-quarantine for 48 hours, as if for "essential workers" the way the virus works is different.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not defending a greedy corporation but for some low earners like me 2 extra hourly dollars (or euros for me) would be a godsend :/ i've gotten nothing but a rent raise during this pandemic and i work in an ER, often right next to the COVID unit (thankfully not busy atm but i fear it will get worse again)..

selfish post sorry :D i just get pissed every time im reminded of the goddamn fucking useless landlord raising my rent and not getting any type of hazard pay extra at work. i'd honestly be happy with a few extra euros per day, so i could save a little in case food prices start going up.. i cant possibly be asking for too much right? ohh i forgot, we got candy bars from our boss last week, yay..
Anybody raising rent on good reliable tenants are out of their goddamn minds. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
I'm assuming it's because a lot of other businesses are opening back up then (at least in Ohio), but doesn't make it any less shitty.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We're only "heroes" for as long as it's politically viable. Not a second longer. Doesn't matter if the pandemic is going to get bad again in 2-3 weeks as the country reopens. Everyone seems to think everything is normal again so bye bye benefits. We'll see in a month how that will look.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You're european, so I'm sure you get health care and all that.

These people don't even get health insurance. They get paid minimum wage, like $7 an hour -- $9 with the "hero pay" -- which isn't enough to buy a meal at McDonalds, let alone cover any sort medical needs that might arise. Like, I get you're saying you'd kill for $2 an hour, but these people are getting way, way less than you get, even with the "hero" pay.

EDIT: In case this comes off wrong, I'm not chastising you or playing misery olympics. I'm very sorry your land lord is an asshole.

Last edited:

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if we could get all the workers in this shithole of a country to actually stand against these corporate pigs.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Unless you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and Kroger is your sole source for groceries and other goods, you should be actively going out of your way to take your business elsewhere.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and Kroger is your sole source for groceries and other goods, you should be actively going out of your way to take your business elsewhere.

Sure. But not shopping at kroger doesn't do anything to help the poor people working for them.

I already don't shop at kroger. This is still outrageous.

Oct 25, 2017
You can only pay by card through curb side, so there's no risk of impropriety. The first time I did curb side delivery, I asked the young woman who brought my food, who looked like she was maybe 19, how she was doing and if she was ok. She mentioned that people were making the employees cry already, but eagerly said "but at least they're letting us keep tips." I told her right on, and I had come prepared to tip her.

Cool. I'm glad your good intentions aren't going to put someone's job at risk.

And I'm being sincere when I say that. Not being an ass (it can probably be read that way).

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine if we could get all the workers in this shithole of a country to actually stand against these corporate pigs.

But you see, that's the rub.

If you keep pay low and costs high, people have to work two jobs just to have any kind of a living at all. Essentially you'd have to have enough saved up to even consider standing up for anything, and how can you save up living paycheck to paycheck because of the aforementioned low pay?

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry guys, you are no longer heroes. Go back to your regular slave wage and be thankful you have a job /s.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
It almost seems like relying on the "generosity" of corporations and billionaires isn't the most stable, humane or just manner of taking care of people.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I thought that was for health care workers, not krogers employees.
LIMIT 2.

www.resetera.com

Pepsi honors the inspiring, heroic grocery store workers of Kroger (A Twitter thread)

Time for a WeekendERA thread. "It's Thursday." You... shut your mouth. Kroger Associate Appreciation Program: Pepsi wants to support the hard work of the Kroger Associates by offering all Pepsi 20oz Soft Drink products for only $1 each Promotional plan: Pepsi 20oz Singles are $1.00 ea...

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Ya i think the current deadline for targets increase is around the same day

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Maybe they'll launch some shopping carts over the world trade memorial.

That will make up for it?

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The $1 Pepsi promotion for Kroger workers last month pretty much told me what to expect from the company. Nothing.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Kroger is evil. I get sick whenever I see their recent commercials thanking their employees. Like instead of spending millions on a commercial why not dump money into their accounts.

Because these people don't care about their employees,they only care about potential customers perception that Kroger cares about their employees.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
This is ultimately what all the "get back to work, we fixed it, things are normal" messaging is about. Creating the pretext to stop doing anything to help people, both by the government and these companies that briefly offered bonus pay.