• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
While Geralt spends days hunting down a single monster and then often has to prep to even be able to win, Kratos can tear through three of the same monsters in minutes. There's no contest here.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Kratos would win.

However let me make a case for Geralt: the only chance he has would be if he manages to hit Kratos with Axii.

For those not in the know Axii is a hypnotic spell which can calm enemies, or more generally effect their mind.

For the sake of argument let's say Kratos' godhood does not give him a blanket immunity to this power. This is plausible - as mind tricks have been employed against Kratos to great effect.

Kratos' power is greatly enhanced by anger so this calming spell is going to limit him greatly. We see in gameplay at this level Kratos still requires numerous hits to defeat lessser Greek monsters which Geralt is probably comparable to in terms of endurance.

It's worth noting Kratos' combat style is based on using this raw strength. He whips chains around and savagely swings his axe. If the spell effects him enough he has to switch to a more skill based combat style - Geralt may stand a small chance.

Even without his strength Kratos is a skilled technical fighter - but as we see in God of War's stranger boss fight when taken by surprise he quickly ends up on the back foot as the quicker opponent gets the best of him.

Geralt and Kratos are relatively equally trained at technical fighting - but Geralt might have a slight edge with his Witcher reactions. Geralt might get one shot, and assuming he has a weapon that can do the deed, could potentially take Kratos by surprise and decapitate his head. Anything less would mean a quick death for Geralt.

At the point IF Geralt already knew what he was dealing with he might be able to perform a ritual to lay Kratos body to final rest, to stop him climbing out of hell for revenge.

There are a lot of ifs, buts and maybes there - but that's the one shot Geralt has.

I like this answer because it's more of a "Could Batman beat Goku with a week's prep?" and not "Who would win: Batman or Goku?"

I think you genuinely illustrate a rare but possible situation in which Geralt could win, which is impressive because before I thought there was no way in hell.

Oct 28, 2017
I came in on page 5 and just wanted to see if everyone here played GoW3

In that, it's said that the Titans fighting was what created the universe. Not the realm, the universe.

That has to factor in the Kratos vs Dante discussion. I mean, i love Dante, but I'm of the opinion that Kratos would win because of experience, strength of past opposition, and pure willpower.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
You're not serious are you? I think Dante may be the only Video Game Protag that could stand a chance against Kratos.....Poor Gearlt with his bad gameplay mechanics.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
But like I said, I do think Kratos is one of the top 10 most powerful game characters. But I don't think he'd make the top 5.

Are we counting Jrpgs? I mean, he average post game FF party kill galactic gods/entities easily.

And if we count more niche titles like Disgaea (which is DBZ levels of power)... I don't think Kratos would be in a top 100.

Mar 18, 2019
Are we counting Jrpgs? I mean, he average post game FF party kill galactic gods/entities easily.

And if we count more niche titles like Disgaea (which is DBZ levels of power)... I don't think Kratos would be in a top 100.
I wasn't thinking of JRPGs, but was just thinking of action games. But if we include JRPGs, then I don't think Kratos would make the top 10, though I think he would still make the top 50.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't thinking of JRPGs, but was just thinking of action games. But if we include JRPGs, then I don't think Kratos would make the top 10, though I think he would still make the top 50.

Yeah talking about Action Games Kratos is one of the best. And I think when the new trilogy(?) is finished he will be even stronger. Bet he will be in top 5.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
Geralt wins by not being stupid enough to take on a literal god.

If you're going to play "who wins in a fight" the characters in question have to at least be roughly the same level.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Kratos would barely need to fight and could win this easily. Like... in the opening fight of GoW he pulls a tree out of the ground and home runs a motherfucker with it.

Geralt is just like... woefully, horribly outclassed here.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
The question should have been : who can wins in a fight against Kratos
15 pages laters, we would have a thread closed with the only answer possible : Kirby.

Demonbane would body both tho, with rest of their universes at the same time.

Fuck, a full sized Demonbane wouldn't even make it a fight. I don't think Kratos or Kirby can even look at something so large and be able to comprehend it. Remember... so large, it ascended beyond multiverse... imagine being bigger than infinite universes stacked together.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Honestly We need to establish a rule, where, unless character you propose can destroy at least a couple universes just by turning their shoulder a little too fast, tehy don't belong anywhere near top50 strongest characters in video games, let alone top 10 or top 5. Like come on, the actual scale is so incomprehensibly above norse or olympian gods powerlevel, they don't belong in top 100.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
The two of them would need to battle in neutral territory for this to be a contest.

I'm speaking, of course, of the board game Mousetrap.

And Geralt would fucking own Kratos there, because Kratos would get so goddamn frustrated trying to set the goddamn thing up he'd just snap and murder the board game and Geralt, which is very much against the rules.

Geralt wins via rules.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I know exactly which points you are refering too because I know enough of Norse mythology too, but I think what GOW is doing is kinda great tbh, they are not replicating the exact events which will make the whole GOW plot literraly expectable and not surprising at all. Greek folks said the same about GOW Greece but I thnik what they are doing with Norse settings is much much betetr, in fact they are creating their own timeline and events based on the Norse events which is very interesting tbh.
Anyway, we don't rule out that GOW is the closest and most grounded depecition of real norse mythlogy compared to any otehr game or media.

I completely agree

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly We need to establish a rule, where, unless character you propose can destroy at least a couple universes just by turning their shoulder a little too fast, tehy don't belong anywhere near top50 strongest characters in video games, let alone top 10 or top 5. Like come on, the actual scale is so incomprehensibly above norse or olympian gods powerlevel, they don't belong in top 100.

I completely agree. They are just meddling in an insanely powerful comparison by throwing anime ridiculously ultimately no limit whatever things in this

Feb 21, 2019
I will give witcher 3 the story and overall world being more interesting. But seriously Geralt being more fun to play with those controls and combat mechanics is highly questionable and arguable vs 2018 God of War.
(Not my point, but yeah, from a pure gameplay perspective, yes, this is correct).

But the question really isn't about from a pure gameplay perspective, is it? There is nothing Kratos does that is somehow greater than Geralt really. Its just that the game asks the player to take down a god rather than a vampire.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
But the question really isn't about from a pure gameplay perspective, is it? There is nothing Kratos does that is somehow greater than Geralt really. Its just that the game asks the player to take down a god rather than a vampire.

He pushes a bridge that weights as much as multiple skyrscrapers with his bare hands? I'd say that counts as greater than anything Geralt did. Like you can argue comparative scale of enemies they fight is not that different outside of informed attributes, but that bridge I'd say is impossibly large even on intuitive level.

Feb 21, 2019
He pushes a bridge that weights as much as multiple skyrscrapers with his bare hands? I'd say that counts as greater than anything Geralt did. Like you can argue comparative scale of enemies they fight is not that different outside of informed attributes, but that bridge I'd say is impossibly large even on intuitive level.
I know what you are saying. Im just saying from an overall gameplay perspective, the two aren't that different. (As in many other characters).

The better question is whether Ciri is more powerful than Kratos. Or is Kirby more powerful than Kratos.

Ultimately, the question is pure fiction because the works they come from is fiction. Its just fun fodder to discuss on the internet.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Kirby is an eldritch abomination with the power of friendship, you cant defeat that

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Geralt gets beat up by regular humans on the street. Not even sure how this thread makes any sense to make. Kratos kills Gods and Titans, even in his old age. It's not fair to compare at all.

One on One? How many FF Protags have actually Solo'd Gods before? Multiple ones at that?

A good amount of them?

Kratos tops out at Continent level of strength and destructive capability, durability and sub relativistic in speed.

Noctis one of the weaker ends of protags: Multi-Continent to life wiper with durability in the same range and can match Kratos's speed along with having much better tools thanks to his ring including Diminsinal BFR, Intangability, etc.

Squall: Galaxy level destructive capability and durability along with massively faster then light along with better tools including pretty good time manipulation.

Cloud: Solar System levels of destruction and durability again massively faster then light and tools like: Super strength, speed, durability, magic, master swordsman, summoning, flight and levitation, potentially possesses the likes of elemental manipulation (of the fire, lightning, ice, water, wind, and earth variety), healing and regeneration (mid-low), poison manipulation (in the form of Bad Breath and Bio), time manipulation (in the forms of Haste, Slow, and Stop), barrier creation (in the form of Barrier, Big Guard, MBarrier, Reflect, Shield, and Wall), shapeshifting (in the form of Bad Breath, Frog Song, Mini, and Toad), petrification (in the form of Break), absorption (in the form of Magic Hammer), gravity manipulation (in the form of Demi and Laser), soul manipulation (in the form of Death), energy blasts (in the form of Flare, Matra Magic, Shadow Flare, and Ultima), telekinesis (in the form of Comet), mind manipulation (in the form of Berserk and Confuse), teleportation (in the form of the Escape and Remove), able to induce silence, able to induce sleep.

Tidus: Moon level durability and destructive power along with being able to move faster then light

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

Fuck, a full sized Demonbane wouldn't even make it a fight. I don't think Kratos or Kirby can even look at something so large and be able to comprehend it. Remember... so large, it ascended beyond multiverse... imagine being bigger than infinite universes stacked together.

Kirby has the potential to beat Demonbane since he has unlimited potential. So it really depends on how broken Nintendo wants to make him. They are going full dive into the Kirby Lore its pretty crazy. The new Return to Dreamland Lore Guide now makes Kirby a multi-universal threat.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
A good amount of them?

Kratos tops out at Continent level of strength and destructive capability, durability and sub relativistic in speed.

Noctis one of the weaker ends of protags: Multi-Continent to life wiper with durability in the same range and can match Kratos's speed along with having much better tools thanks to his ring including Diminsinal BFR, Intangability, etc.

Squall: Galaxy level destructive capability and durability along with massively faster then light along with better tools including pretty good time manipulation.

Cloud: Solar System levels of destruction and durability again massively faster then light and tools like: Super strength, speed, durability, magic, master swordsman, summoning, flight and levitation, potentially possesses the likes of elemental manipulation (of the fire, lightning, ice, water, wind, and earth variety), healing and regeneration (mid-low), poison manipulation (in the form of Bad Breath and Bio), time manipulation (in the forms of Haste, Slow, and Stop), barrier creation (in the form of Barrier, Big Guard, MBarrier, Reflect, Shield, and Wall), shapeshifting (in the form of Bad Breath, Frog Song, Mini, and Toad), petrification (in the form of Break), absorption (in the form of Magic Hammer), gravity manipulation (in the form of Demi and Laser), soul manipulation (in the form of Death), energy blasts (in the form of Flare, Matra Magic, Shadow Flare, and Ultima), telekinesis (in the form of Comet), mind manipulation (in the form of Berserk and Confuse), teleportation (in the form of the Escape and Remove), able to induce silence, able to induce sleep.

Tidus: Moon level durability and destructive power along with being able to move faster then light

Wow and I thought this thread couldn't get more insane and entertaining.
Cloud Noctis and stuff solar system, galaaxy. XD
NVM..

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Should you ever bring a character into a "what if" fight whose entire writing is literally the "infinity + 2" everyone used to say a kid when they lost to someone who said infinity?

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A good amount of them?

Is this a parody post? I could never tell with this forum. I feel like I should go buy some rare Yugioh cards or something after reading this.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How is this thread 16 pages long? This is like going who's stronger your fiend Joe or hercules

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kratos hands down.

This feels like a Superman vs Batman statement of if Batman had time to prepare. But even then Geralt is excellent of what he does best, being a Witcher. As Kratos is excellent at being a God Slayer.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Kratos hands down.

This feels like a Superman vs Batman statement of if Batman had time to prepare. But even then Geralt is excellent of what he does best, being a Witcher. As Kratos is excellent at being a God Slayer.
There's also only 1 conclusion Geralt would come to with prep time too and it'd be not to fight him at all. Like he does with higher Vampires, because they are just a too powerful for a single Witcher and unkillable by them on top.

Crushed his organs how?

Doom Guy can outrun him pretty easily. Anything MC does can be dodged. Doom guy can run as fast as a car.
Really? Doom Guy can out run lasers now?

And running as fast as a car means nothing because most of Master Chief's weapons are so much faster.
Can Dante do this though..

giphy.gif
No, but Kratos certainly doesn't have any speed feats comparable to fighting an actual lightning god.
On the contrary, "he literally clawed his way out of the afterlife" is a damn good feat.
No, it isn't. It's literally to vague to calculate. It might sound cool and all, and even gives him some really good determination and endurance. But it's Greek Mythology. There are tons of people who've escaped the afterlife in badass ways.
You are kinda leaving stuff out bud. So.. mundus can create a whole universe (a testament to his strength, right?) But goes on to get beat by Dante in smup battle? Yo.. didn't mundus get beat twice in the same game?

But this what people don't understand. Kratos is smart and excel's in the arts of war and his execution in battle strategies. And he doesn't get tired.. at all. And your boy Dante is not up for fighting at full strength for an eternity.
So what if Dante beat Mundus? That doesn't mean Mundus can't create a universe. If anything, Dante beating him shows that Dante is stronger than universe making.

But that's just assuming that universe making power scales to Mundus' offensive powers.

Kratos has absolutely no smarts if we go by any game in the God of War series. If anything, he's an idiot.
Except Doom guy runs much faster than 28. He can run over 50 mph without the armor he got in the new Doom and without pushing himsel, as he can even rub forever. Not only that, he can survive multiple rockets and plenty of punishment without dying. He kicked hells ass so many times that they even opened a door out of hell just so he could leave them alone. Then he returned to hell and spent ages without rest killing them over and over. All thst without the armor he got later on.

Then when you factor in the praetor suit and the orbs he gets much more powerful. Haste for example can double his speed (not just running but even his actions like reloading and shooting).

In the next game he will even face godss so it is safe to say Master Cheif would get his ass kicked pretty badly by Doom Guy.
1. That's Doom Slayer.

2. This is what I mean by using hype to compare characters. Yes, Doom Slayer can beat demons and might even kill gods. But the fact that these demons and gods can be beat by someone with a shotgun shows they're actually quite weak, even comparable to the Covenant.
Kratos beat god who can almost move at speed of light. Dante can also move almost at speed of light.
Lol no, Hermes was not even close to the speed of light. He got hit by a catapult once if I remember correctly.
A good amount of them?

Is this a parody post? I could never tell with this forum. I feel like I should go buy some rare Yugioh cards or something after reading this.
It's pretty much just a copy paste from Vs. Battles Wiki.

Most of which use hype to compare characters. For example, Cloud being Solar System Level makes no sense, because he was visibly struggling against something like Bahamut Sin, which at most is Planet Level.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
No, but Kratos certainly doesn't have any speed feats comparable to fighting an actual lightning god.
This sentence confuses me. Do you mean he doesn't have speed feats beyond those he had while fighting a lightning god? Because he's done that quite a bit. He can dodge and parry lightning, not to mention he killed Zeus, an actual lightning god.
No, it isn't. It's literally to vague to calculate. It might sound cool and all, and even gives him some really good determination and endurance. But it's Greek Mythology. There are tons of people who've escaped the afterlife in badass ways.
It's a running theme of his character, with it happening at least three times in the original games, if not more. It actually got to the point that he's done it in other afterlives as well. He willingly entered and fought out of Hel twice in the same day. "Repeatedly fought his way out of afterlives" is an incalculable feat, for certain, but it is a feat.

The tricky part is determining how it'd factor in to his ability to recover in a fight were he to be killed. He wasn't dead either time he went to Hel, but its rules still affected him (which is why he had to bring the Blades of Chaos, a foreign element that didn't play by the rules of Hel). If he died in the north, would he go to Hel, or Hades? Does Hades still exist after he destroyed Olympus? Probably not.
Not really an equal fight. Kratos for sure. Goku would take them both, though.
Yeah, but what about Superman?