• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
No idea why there is a thread specific for this "Schreier" but I am going through the all other lists from Kotaku and making my wishlist bigger. One paragraph really is enough to make you interested in a game.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Jason has been pretty critical of DQ11, so I'm not surprised it's not on his list.

Anyone looking for his rundown of JRPGs in 2018 can find it here: https://kotaku.com/the-year-in-jrpgs-2018-1831298532

Should offer some insight as to why certain games didn't make his top 10.

With DQXI I suspect he did not have Draconian Quest on, that's a shame.

I value a lot of elements in a video game more than production values, and many of them are lacking in DQXI: strategy, interesting decision-making, an emotionally engaging story, and, perhaps most important in a JRPG, good music.

DQ has all of those IMO. Did you to have strong Enemies and maybe even lower exp from weaker enemies Draconian quest on? It makes the battles far more strategic, story also gets a lot more emotionally engaging in the second part. Also recommend PC version thanks to Orchestral soundtrack mod.

Last edited:

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No, I didn't have any of the Draconian settings on, and inexplicably, there's no way to toggle them once you've started playing. By the time I realized how easy the game was, it was way too late.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
No, I didn't have any of the Draconian settings on, and inexplicably, there's no way to toggle them once you've started playing. By the time I realized how easy the game was, it was way too late.

Yeah that sucks on PC version you can turn them on and off whenever you want thanks to cheat engine.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing JRPG fans snub Octopath gives me hope. Hate the trend of budget attempts at nostalgia get overhyped by publishers.

I think the success of Octopath was a perfect storm of publisher, system, and lineup at the time. I just don't hope OPT becomes some sort of defacto template for "good enough" JRPGs going forward.

I feel the game was pretty basic and cheap outside of the artstyle. It was a B or C tier game that was marketed extremely well to it's potential audience. It released one one platform during the summer where there wasn't much competition and it's unique look sure helped. Once you start to play it though it's really repetitive and formulaic. The facts all chapters play the same with the dungeon always being in town or the screen next to it and being made of 1-2 screens long with like 4 chests in it got old really fast. They have the possibility to put more efforts in a sequel which is a good thing.

DQXI was a much better game than this. And the honorable mentions in the list Original Sin 2 is in an entirely different league of it's own. It was frankly amazing.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Divinity Original Sin 2 has ruined other RPGs for me. It's that good.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Seeing JRPG fans snub Octopath gives me hope. Hate the trend of budget attempts at nostalgia get overhyped by publishers.

I think the success of Octopath was a perfect storm of publisher, system, and lineup at the time. I just don't hope OPT becomes some sort of defacto template for "good enough" JRPGs going forward.
Even as someone who doesn't yet own a Switch and was initially interested in Octopath, I'd like to agree with you.

The story presentation seems to among the worst I've ever seen for a RPG, and the core gameplay loop just seems dreadful.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Destiny 2 ? O..k...

Well lists ared subjective ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Different people have different tastes.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I love Fares but no, A Way Out is not Top10 material. Hell i would argue its not even top 50 material. It was a good year for games and the final third of way out is frankly abysmal

Good list otherwise

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic list IMO.

Edit: I am definitely getting the following now

1. Obra Dinn
2. Into the Breach
3. D: OS 2

This was just the final nudge I needed. These three games were on my radar but now it's time to get them.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
No Nintendo games and no jrpgs was my guess coming into this thread and I was right lol

No Celeste either tops it off. Especially when talking about Brain-challenging games??

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Good list and glad to see A Way Out on there, I really enjoyed that game.

5 of them were shared on my own list and reading it makes me want to try out Monster Boy and Obra Dinn as well.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solid list. Good to see Hollow Knight getting big love.

Will pick up Monster Boy as soon as that price drops a little.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
DQXI's music didn't hinder my experience quite as much, but I totally get it. Even if everything was orchestrated, the compositions are still laughably under par for a JRPG coming off Persona 5, Xenoblade 2 and Octopath's soundtracks.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can't remember the last time a single aspect of a good game was as universally reviled as Dragon Quest XI's music. Lucky for you that you are one of the few who enjoy it.
Well first you should check what "universally" means.

Second, you're wrong. It's the vocal minority. In fact, the first I heard of it being "reviled" and people overreacting and saying things like it's "hard to listen to" or the worst soundtrack ever, is here. Era is full of people who overreact to anything, so no surprise.