• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
This really wants me to check out Divinity. Is it any good with console + controller or is it designed for PC + mouse + keyboard?
It's a great port and plays well on controller. The inventory and looting is very controller friendly. I think the only complaint was picking skills to use becomes cumbersome if you have too many, but I've never used more than 2 bars of skills so it shouldn't be a big deal. Game is also turn-based, so no kbm speed advantage. Definitely grab a friend and try the dynamic splitscreen co-op.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Can see Divinity on there, list redeemed!
It's a good list to be honest, I agree with more or less everything.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I can approve this list especially because of the love for hollow knight. I am experiencing that myself right now. Finally a list from someone who doesn't care about smash.
I really need to play monster boy.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
DQXI wasn't really that special. I enjoyed it, but I can see it just missing lists.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I somehow read the thread title as "Kotaku's Siren" and had a good laugh.

A Way Out showing up on so many lists really makes me want to try it, but I need to find a whole human to get through it with me...

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get through some of my backlog so I can play Spider-man and Hitman.

Did Forsaken really do that much to justify Destiny 2 being a GOTY contender?

Stray observation: it's strange how Monster Hunter was the hottest shit for a spell at all the major publications and yet it doesn't seem to be making anyone's year end lists.

Like Jason said in the article, Forsaken is easily the best iteration of Destiny yet and I totally agree with that. It revitalized the game in many ways. The story was actually pretty interesting, something that the series has previously had problems with. The raid was great, the endgame area (Dreaming City) is full of secrets to uncover and there's just a ton of content in general to play through. It's still just an expansion so I wouldn't put it up against any of the 2018 heavy hitters, but it's totally deserving of being somewhere on a top 10 list for the year IMO.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
I wonder if Astro Bot didn't rank because he didn't play it or because he didn't like it.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Feels good seeing Destiny 2: Forsaken on a GOTY list. And that from the MAN himself.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
D2 Forsaken with some much-deserved recognition.

Definitely in my top 5 GOTY list.

You will not find a better co-op shooting experiencing this generation and if I were a betting man, I would say next generation as well.

Good shout, Jason

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Apparently, PS4 doesn't have orchestral mod's (cause platform doesn't let you) so we can't talk about how good the soundtrack is with it cause it's only available on PC and those who have experienced it on PC opinion is null and void cause we are being "drama queen and overreacting".

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Like Jason said in the article, Forsaken is easily the best iteration of Destiny yet and I totally agree with that. It revitalized the game in many ways. The story was actually pretty interesting, something that the series has previously had problems with. The raid was great, the endgame area (Dreaming City) is full of secrets to uncover and there's just a ton of content in general to play through. It's still just an expansion so I wouldn't put it up against any of the 2018 heavy hitters, but it's totally deserving of being somewhere on a top 10 list for the year IMO.
Agreed. I can't stop playing Forsaken. It's perfect Destiny.

Almost. I never get any exotics.
And there's so much to do, I can only keep up with one character. My Warlock and Hunter are being neglected.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing JRPG fans snub Octopath gives me hope. Hate the trend of budget attempts at nostalgia get overhyped by publishers.

I think the success of Octopath was a perfect storm of publisher, system, and lineup at the time. I just don't hope OPT becomes some sort of defacto template for "good enough" JRPGs going forward.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm going to have to jump into Monster Boy sometime soon, I keep seeing it recommended by lots of people.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I'm three quarters of the way through a way out, playing online with a friend and I can't fathom how it's anywhere near anyone's top ten. I loved brothers but this game seems terrible in every way, the writing is abysmal and the gameplay just amounts to holding buttons in sync with the other person.

Am I missing what's amazing about it?

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
True that, nothing I dislike more than JRPGs
giphy.gif

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I guess that was sarcasm but Dq11 is really an amazing game with good production values.

It's definitely sarcasm. That being said Jason have an article discussing all the JRPG he played in 2018. For DQXI :

I'm not sure why. Perhaps it was the grating, repetitive soundtrack, or perhaps it was the fact that I'd spent the past 30-40 hours mashing the A button without making a single interesting decision or fighting a single challenging boss. One day maybe I'll come back. Maybe.

I wonder what Tim Rogers think about Jason's experience with DQXI lol.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I guess that was sarcasm but Dq11 is really an amazing game with good production values.
I value a lot of elements in a video game more than production values, and many of them are lacking in DQXI: strategy, interesting decision-making, an emotionally engaging story, and, perhaps most important in a JRPG, good music.