• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you hear Retard why would you think its retarded and not retard it which would atleast fit somewhat

"Are you ready

Ready to pick up the Pieces

Let's Go, Let's Play, Retard it

I Say, Let's Go uh uh

..."

But considering some of the lyrics, Retort it seems like the most fitting

"Look the Fakers, Binding us with lies, the breakers of us all

Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There

Raise your voice against liars"

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
1) It's my understanding the author is actually a fan of Persona 5 based on twitter threads posted earlier.
2) Why would that even matter in regards to this particular topic?
Not only is LKD a fan of P5, she reviewed P5 (I think for Jim Sterling) and gave it high marks.

She even got in a bit of hot water for saying she would've preferred in the Vita because that's how she played P4.

So anyone saying she's not a "true fan" is uninformed.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lyrics are available officially for the song, but they don't include the spoken part, for reasons I don't know, maybe they were improvised when the recorded it or they decided not to include spoken stuff on them.
probably would have been a good idea to wait for a response before publishing then

or you could ask around, I think most people would be able to address the issue.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That's fucking shitty. Because fucking "gamers", who're already well adjusted individuals, definitely understand proportionate responses.

I haven't seen much that was of the level you expect from Twitter comments from "gamers" just mainly people calling her bad. And even then the majority of the comments were supporting her.

Either way, shouldn't the main editor from Kotaku UK come out and take responsibility if they forced her to publish it?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't the title be updated to say it isn't clear right now?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you hear Retard why would you think its retarded and not retard it. Which would atleast fit somewhat

"Are you ready

Ready to pick up the Pieces

Let's Go, Let's Play, Retard it

I Say, Let's Go uh uh

..."

But considering some of the lyrics, Retort it seems like the most fitting

"Look the Fakers, Binding us with lies, the breakers of us all

Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There

Raise your voice against liars"
retort would be stupid it's probably restart it

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about the level of vitriol that would be directed at the individual you used your journalistic podium to accuse of hate speech without verification? Let's not forget the actual victim here if in fact she did not say what she's accused of saying. And by the way here's a hint, the actual victim isn't a journalist who didn't do her homework.
well said

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My comment wasn't directed at you specifically. I am generally pretty grouchy at how the industry in general has moved on over the THQ 8chan affair and have taken lumps in the process here for what it is worth; I wish the forum here was taking a harder stance on that issue and have been, ah, moderated for my reaction to it. It represents a way more noteworthy argument to the site's credibility than the subject of this thread and should have been an easy thing to cite for drive-by posters. I don't read the site in general.
In a larger sense I absolutely agree that Gamers™️ Only care about poor journalism when it conflicts with their own extremely narrow interests.

Maybe we should close the thread now? She has signed off Twitter and is writing pretty cryptically and is obviously upset. No need to further stir the pot.
Yeah, I agree. She's obviously being harassed and we shouldn't enable that further. Era threads raise the profile of things like this.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Any idea why she is constrained? Kotaku EU not letting her talk or take down the article?

Taking the article down is likely not her call, but that of the editorial head at Kotaku UK. Even if she has requested the article's retraction, it could have been denied. We just don't know.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's not true. There is a slur if there is a slur.
Is there a slur?

I haven't seen much that was of the level you expect from Twitter comments from "gamers" just mainly people calling her bad. And even then the majority of the comments were supporting her.

Either way, shouldn't the main editor from Kotaku UK come out and take responsibility if they forced her to publish it?
It seems like this is weird behind the scenes, and larger than just this one article.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll just leave you both with a response i gave Phantom Thief, this should clarify why this is problematic way beyond if what she's doing was 100% professional or not (given this specific course of action, which is kinda normal in journalism itself and it baffles me to see people calling it "unprofessional" here, people ask for clarification and correct info even after the actual post was made):
sorry but no. what happened here is not normal in journalism. saying there may be a slur? sure. but claiming matter of factly that there is indeed a slur? nope.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
1) It's my understanding the author is actually a fan of Persona 5 based on twitter threads posted earlier.
2) Why would that even matter in regards to this particular topic?

If she is a fan of Persona, she would have heard the song before and noticed. Not after Smash came out, and go "Family friendly Nintendo what's going on?!"

Either way, this article comes off as irresponsible and arrogant while assuming people are at their worst. Published without any sort of research besides "I heard it!".

This level of journalism is embarrassing and frankly a joke. It's clickbait while exploiting a sensitive subject.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Taking the article down is likely not her call, but that of the editorial head at Kotaku UK. Even if she has requested the article's retraction, it could have been denied. We just don't know.

It's one thing that she can't take the article down. It's a very different thing that she's not allowed to comment on it. What the hell is this?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
So, the long version of "Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There" doesn't in the game at all? Just the opening version?

Correct. I'm not sure which version long or short, but the version with the spoken section, which is what's being discussed here, is not in Persona 5 its its something for the Joker DLC in Smash. Not familiar with all the details but they just didn't grab all the songs straight from the OST they actually added some new arrangements or versions so I suppose that's what you're hearing and that's why this is coming out now instead of 2 years ago. There's no Switch/PS4 conspiracy. Also btw I'm in the camp of believing this should have been verified before you accuse this woman of such a thing.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
She/Kotaku should've gotten confirmation first, and done their research first. They didn't. They should/will apologize. A lot of the anger I see online seems a bit too much tbh :/. People make mistakes, if they acknowledge and take the proper steps that's a good thing.

Kotaku has written a lot of good/great articles before.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think anything sending threatening or hateful messages to LKD should absolutely be condemned, obviously. Gamers love to harass anyone that threatens the status quo, even in an insignificant way. But I'm honestly not sure what she expected writing this article (even if she didn't plan to publish it, sounds like it was in the queue) without reaching out to Atlus for clarification. It's a shitty situation overall. Maybe Kotaku editors will enforce higher standards now, but I doubt it. The need to generate content constantly, meaningful or otherwise, is what causes clickbait like this.

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
What a pointless hot take.

I have some thoughts but I'm sure they've been echoed before.

I'll just re-iterate how weird it is that Kotaku can produce amazing pieces of journalism like Jason Schreier's work and then utter fucking bullshit like this.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It seems like this is weird behind the scenes, and larger than just this one article.

Which is terrible. I would want my boss to back me up in these situations, especially when it's someone who has been harassed online many, many times before (and is probably the reason why some in this thread are defending her and her article I guess, because they don't want to see her get abuse).

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it probably isn't what Kotaku says, but I can definitely hear how they'd think that's what it says.

Still a hilariously dumbass move not checking with Atlus first though.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad that she's in such a bad spot - Kotaku should never have forced her to post the article before she had a chance to verify what she heard with the creators.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Official Staff Communication
This thread has veered into discussing the author rather than the article and does not seem to be producing good discussion. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.