• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
If she's wrong, you can talk about reactionary journalism.

This defensive reaction many seem to be adopting is premature and disconcerting.

I disagree. Because now the onus is on some (at the moment) innocent Japanese singer to prove she did not say an alleged slur, which many people are definitively saying they hear. Probably due to her thick accent, which she might find incredibly embarrassing (and will, now that this article has been published).

And it all could have been avoided if this wasn't a race to be first.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
How is it bad to be defensive when the original article is equally accusatory and based in the same non-information?

She was told it said that word, mentally processed that word due to the expectation of it, and wrote the article accusing the game of using that word without verification of any sort.

The accusation was premature and disconcerting and its hypocritical to not see that.
Frankly, I find this information worth getting out sooner rather than later so that people who have a problem with it don't purchase the DLC.

She asked for comment, if she's wrong she can retract.

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
welp, it seems this was her only research
Well, she seemed based on the article to check the actual lyrics for the track, which btw. don't have the spoken section at all on it. At least the booklet for the soundtrack doesn't have the spoken section of of Get Up, Wake Up, Get Out There at all. As people can see here:
Hr6mZIy.jpg

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
The reaction to this article could have been avoided in twenty different ways. Kind of crazy that this actually got published.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In today's lesson, we learn that misheard lyrics are....misheard lyrics?

I don't get the point of that article, it's not because you hear a slur that it's a slur. This is pure unadulterated clickbait.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Frankly, I find this information worth getting out sooner rather than later so that people who have a problem with it don't purchase the DLC.

Yeah honestly the weirdest takes in here would be the "Wow, absolute slander from Kotaku" in here since it's not like this is particularly character-defamatory and, honestly, isn't even up there for worst persona 5 moments either

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

That's how you put out a whole bunch of wrong information and hopefully isn't how games journalism works...

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

That is the opposite of how any journalist with a shred of integrity should act. That's exactly how and why everyone steps over themselves to be first and spread nonsense; taking something down later for being wrong still spreads a wrong message that won't be corrected for a lot of readers who don't return to hear the update.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

That's the thing.

It's not information.

It's an accusation based on something spoken by a non English speaker likely written by non English writers and not confirmed with anyone at all.

It should not have been posted in the first place.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah honestly the weirdest takes in here would be the "Wow, absolute slander from Kotaku" in here since it's not like this is particularly character-defamatory and, honestly, isn't even up there for worst persona 5 moments either
My outrage is stoked in the fact that this is a poorly researched article making an inflammatory definitive accusation that also got published before any clarifications were received.

And that people will use it to further pounce on kotaku and "fake news" and the like.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread has now devolved into the ethics and process of games journalism.

I love it. You're all *checks notes* professionals.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely sounds like "retarded" to me but it could also be "retard it" as others have mentioned. The kind of thing that they should get clarification on before making an article imo.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
This feels like that video someone posted a few months ago where if you listened for "cause I'm a big fucking slut" or "cause I'm a paper chaser" you could hear either or.

https://youtu.be/22rNkXpizNc

I can see how someone listening for the word in question could hear it. I feel 90% of the lyrics in any persona song can be easily misheard because the english diction of these Japanese singers is generally pretty terrible. I feel all around LKD made a mistake writing the article early without doing more research or getting comment from nintendo/atlus, kotaku uk made a mistake for publishing the article despite knowing LKD was waiting for more sources to verify it.

It's truly unfortunate since LKD does so much good for games journalism and transgender people but situations like this get boosted for "look how much she messed up" and 95% of the good articles and reporting get completely ignored. Course it's not just a LKD problem it's a gamer problem as a whole. The only time games journalism is discussed on a site like era is when a magnum opus piece comes out like Jason's anthem autopsy, or a mistake happens like this.

Ultimately this is my take. She was told by someone it says 'retarded.' We read the headline that told us the lyric was 'retarded' We hear some weird accent singing some sounds that vaguely sound like what we're expecting to hear and our brain fills in the rest.

When I listen to it without thinking of anything I can't really discern clearly what she is saying. I just hear gibberish.When I listen to it while thinking she says "retarded" that's what I hear. When I listen to that soundcloud without the background music I hear "retard it" (which is more to say I hear a pause between retard and the "it/ed" sound at the end; could still be 'retarded' just with an unusual accent creating the pause).

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I've heard this in wake up get up get out there forever but never followed it up

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It is kind of a weird undercurrent here that even if this is a crappy article, we're sliding back from Persona 5's representation in another game being ableist to just Persona 5 itself being homophobic.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
that's not how journalism works, you can't put out anything you want, with barely any research, and then wait for comments after you've done the damage. that's incredibly irresponsible and unprofessional.
She didn't put out "anything," she published this story. If she's wrong, she'll be embarrassed and it will effect her credibility. If she's right (and I believe she is), she acted swiftly to inform potential buyers of what they would be supporting by purchasing the DLC.

I know which of those two options I value more.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
If this gets Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There replaced with Life Will Change then I'm all for people thinking that's what she's saying.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
My outrage is stoked in the fact that this is a poorly researched article making an inflammatory definitive accusation that also got published before any clarifications were received.

And that people will use it to further pounce on kotaku and "fake news" and the like.

There isn't much research to do. All you have to do is listen to the song.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's gotten into discussing the basics of any form of journalism that even a non-professional knows. That's the whole point.

Clearly the people in here quoting a tweet that says "I looked into it" and then assuming the level of research to be extremely shallow are people who can properly discuss the basics of journalism.

Which ironically is to not assume things.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I really would like to hear Nintendo's response to this in any case. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they edit out the section just because it's not clear what's actually being said and sounds too close to what's being reported to leave in without someone at Atlus being explicit to the contrary.

Status
Not open for further replies.