• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To you maybe. I love it the way it is.
good for you then, clearly other people dont like that and clearly there was a need for an article because it was so bad
It appears Kotaku has never played the Witcher 3. How do you like that silver?
Geralt commentary is also not perfect, especially repeating lines, but if he was like Deacon, he would comment on every flower picked, on every chest looted , on every sign and sword used in combat . Majority of the time his commentary is relegated to unique quests and context sensitive triggers , so lines dont repeat as much

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Anyone who has, or has experienced PTSD, can relate to Deeks rants/ramblings.

The up/down volume of his delivery is spot on, for someone who has seen some bad shit (speaking from personal experience, I can very much relate to how he rambles out loud to himself).

Anyone saying it's unrealistic...let me tell you, it's not.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Pre 32-bit era (console) gaming knew it all along, you don't need characters talking at all! Hooray for the good ol' times.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I disagree, i love Deek's insane ramblings. because he is obviously not right in the head. dude has ptsd or something.
and the way he answers to radio free oregon is sometimes funny.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I havnt played Days Gone yet, but how does it compare to e.g Mario games? Is it talking basically every time that you press a button (like the jump button)?

Last edited:

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
They're absolutely wrong on this one. I am loving every single bit of dialogue in this game, whereas I skipped most of it in Horizon. GoW was also pretty good with all the tall tales on the boat.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Anyone who has, or has experienced PTSD, can relate to Deeks rants/ramblings.

The up/down volume of his delivery is spot on, for someone who has seen some bad shit (speaking from personal experience, I can very much relate to how he rambles out loud to himself).

Anyone saying it's unrealistic...let me tell you, it's not.

Is it actually intentional though? Cause it seems more like the audio scripting is off and that the dev team didnt record different lines for different situations.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
"I don't want characters to have a personality in gameplay".

Yeah no, screw that. I like the talking in gameplay. I don't understand how someone would prefer the opposite.

Now if the character was literally repeating the same 2 or 3 lines every single minute... sure. That's annoying as fuck but that's not Deacon.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Now if the character was literally repeating the same 2 or 3 lines every single minute... sure. That's annoying as fuck but that's not Deacon.
That's genuinely what's happening though, at least when I'm playing. Am I playing a different game lol? He repeats the same thing with almost everything he does, shoots, harvesting plants, picking up items, fuel, repairing the bike, etc.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he starts saying he's in the process of climbing a cliff or walking down a hill lol.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Either you're lucky or I'm unlucky because it has happened almost every time I've been sneaking. It's a good thing that Deacon's dialogue doesn't generate in-world sound or else this game would be impossible to play lol

Even when it does happen it's on the lowest end of the spectrum of complaints. People hated this about Aloy and I barely noticed it.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"I don't want characters to have a personality in gameplay".

Yeah no, screw that. I like the talking in gameplay. I don't understand how someone would prefer the opposite.

But thats what he does?? I cant walk for 5 min before he comments on something

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
But thats what he does?? I cant walk for 5 min before he comments on something

You want it at MORE than 5 minute intervals? Why? I have 10-15 minute periods where he says nothing unless I'm in a mission.

I actually think it's clever just HOW specific some of his ramblings get. To the point where my real world reaction to a random event was almost identical to what he was saying. Not just the generic "take that you piece of shit" but like "oops, missed that throw."

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Say what???? Deacon's unhinged dialogue is one of the game's highlights.

Sam Witwer is an easy nominee for best voice actor this year.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
That's genuinely what's happening though, at least when I'm playing. Am I playing a different game lol? He repeats the same thing with almost everything he does, shoots, harvesting plants, picking up items, fuel, repairing the bike, etc.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he starts saying he's in the process of climbing a cliff or walking down a hill lol.
Hmm interesting, yeah no, that has not been the case for me at all. Maybe I'm spending more time wandering between activities? But, I haven't had much repetition yet at all. And I'm maybe 15-20 hours in or so?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You want it at MORE than 5 minute intervals? Why? I have 10-15 minute periods where he says nothing unless I'm in a mission.

I actually think it's clever just HOW specific some of his ramblings get. To the point where my real world reaction to a random event was almost identical to what he was saying. Not just the generic "take that you piece of shit" but like "oops, missed that throw."
I dont want to hear his ramblings when im in combat situation and zombies are a meter from my character, i dont want to hear him for the 5th in a row because im near an outpost. Lots of his commentary feels like filler, i want more methodical more restrained approach when it makes sense , when it is appropriate. You can do a lot more with less and it would be far more impactful

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I must have a special version of Deacon because he hasn't talked much in 10 or so hours that I played. I'd love to meet this other Deacon that people claim to "never stop talking" or "never shuts up".

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I dont want to hear his ramblings when im in combat situation and zombies are a meter from my character, i dont want to hear him for the 5th in a row because im near an outpost. Lots of his commentary feels like filler, i want more methodical more restrained approach when it makes sense , when it is appropriate. You can do a lot more with less and it would be far more impactful
But what is "more appropriate"? That's such a relative thing to each person. Really this just about your preferences then.

Again, I'm 20 hours in and I haven't heard the exact same phrase repeated in succession even once.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Characters in games repeating lines over and over is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine but I have not found it to be a problem in this game.

It was much worse in Horizon, and, hell, even a bit worse in Witcher 3 ("wind's howling.")

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But what is "more appropriate"? That's such a relative thing to each person. Really this just about your preferences then.

Again, I'm 20 hours in and I haven't heard the exact same phrase repeated in succession even once.
not talking out loud when your near a fucking zombie, I would say thats approriate no matter the context.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
DO YOU REMEMBER
CARLOS
YOU FUCKS ! THAT WAS ME I KILLED HIM YOU FREAKS !

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I must have a special version of Deacon because he hasn't talked much in 10 or so hours that I played. I'd love to meet this other Deacon that people claim to "never stop talking" or "never shuts up".

Hello welcome to the internet, we exaggerate for effect. If you're very good at it you get lots of followers on twitter and maybe even a YouTube channel.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i get where they're coming from, i HATE super talkative MCs, even more so if they talk to themselves non-stop.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it is frequently annoying. Even more pronounced than Horizon Zero Dawn which I thought was irritating enough. Just one of the reasons why I don't like the character.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
There has to be a middle ground between a silent character and one that never stops talking no?
All the time? No, why? I still have to play Days Gone and it is on my list for sure, but I hate silent characters in most games where it doesn't make sense. It was one of my biggest gripes with BotW, everyone talked and had a personality (especially Urbosa and Revali), while Link just stood there nodding like an idiot and reacting like a robot, I really hope they have him talk in future entries, I'm already tired of him being basically mute.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All the time? No, why? I still have to play Days Gone and it is on my list for sure, but I hate silent characters in most games where it doesn't make sense. It was one of my biggest gripes with BotW, everyone talked and had a personality (especially Urbosa and Revali), while Link just stood there nodding like an idiot and reacting like a robot, I really hope they have him talk in future entries, I'm already tired of him being basically mute.

This doesn't make any sense to me. You've not addressed their point at all- the middle ground between characters like Link and chatterboxes.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Heh, he is not the only one...

LMAO! At the third or fourth loop there was a small pause and I was like "Oh ok, that's it"... "WHERE ARE WE HEADING!?".
This doesn't make any sense to me. You've not addressed their point at all- the middle ground between characters like Link and chatterboxes.
Doesn't make sense to you because you are not reading. Mute characters are a no-no for me, have them talk a little, only when necessary maybe, but mute characters are simply boring. BotW would still be a great game without Link, you could replace him with anyone else you could think of and the game wouldn't change because Link is a blank boring vehicle, I'd much have preferred to have Zelda as the MC. Characters who speak sparsely, characters who speak fairly often and characters who speak often. Don't give me mute characters if the NPCs will be talking like regular people.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I'm personally really enjoying Deacon talking to himself and reacting to things. I love when games do that

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
LMAO! At the third or fourth loop there was a small pause and I was like "Oh ok, that's it"... "WHERE ARE WE HEADING!?".

Doesn't make sense to you because you are not reading. Mute characters are a no-no for me, have them talk a little, only when necessary maybe, but mute characters are simply boring. BotW would still be a great game without Link, you could replace him with anyone else you could think of and the game wouldn't change because Link is a blank boring vehicle, I'd much have preferred to have Zelda as the MC. Characters who speak sparsely, characters who speak fairly often and characters who speak often. Don't give me mute characters if the NPCs will be talking like regular people.
Nobody talked about silent/mute protagonists though. You're the one not reading.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Days Gone yet, but Claire from Resident Evil 2 remake is probably my favourite character of the year so far, thanks to her quips.