• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This entire thing is the most ridiculous shitstorm ever and it would be nice if Era didn't devolve into those very same clickbait standards.

Also there's now twice as many articles on Kotaku about this urgent and pressing matter than there are about THQ 8chan's AMA.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Because I don't think Kotaku UK is all that important? I don't read the site except for the time everyone got really angry at them (yesterday)
And yet, you're willing to go to bat for them on an issue that they apologized for inproperly and incorrectly dredging up in the first place?

OP
OP

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This entire thing is the most ridiculous shitstorm ever and it would be nice if Era didn't devolve into those very same clickbait standards.

Also there's now twice as many articles on Kotaku about this urgent and pressing matter than there are about THQ 8chan's AMA.

I mean I sure as hell don't mind bringing up THQ again but I mean last time I did I caught a ban for it so *shrug*

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Very stupid. Like everyone knows the singers english isnt exactly perfect and certain pronunciations are going to be borked.

LKD is also at fault for even penning the article before reaching out to ninty/sega but at least she didnt want to publish it until hearing back. Big editor fool though thought it was ok to push out there.

Thanks for finally changing the title Mods

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
And yet, you're willing to go to bat for them on an issue that they apologized for inproperly and incorrectly dredging up in the first place?

I'm saying that I find Nintendo and Atlus's response to their request for contact unconvincing at best. My opinions on Kotaku have nothing to do on that. This ain't daddy's first press release.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I'm saying that I find Nintendo and Atlus's response to their request for contact unconvincing at best. My opinions on Kotaku have nothing to do on that. This ain't daddy's first press release.

What does "unconvincing" mean here? You really think the singer said the slur in question and Atlus is trying to cover it up?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
You really need learn to pick your battles, my dude. You're literally fighting for nothing and stirring shit for no purpose.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Laura wasn't the one who decided to publish the article without waiting for an official response. She said as much on Twitter.

Still decided to write the article in the first place based solely on someone thinking they heard something in a song sung by a non native speaker.

The abuse and harassment against LKD as a person are not ok but the article deserves to be called out and its intention questioned.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Really sad about the amount of shit Laura has gotten and will get because of this mistake. Yes, it was a mistake, but it also opens the gate for a lot of horrible comments.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
This article should never have been posted and it should have been taken down when they realized they were wrong. I don't understand how "We think we hear this word" warrants an article. I feel like that is extremely irresponsible. Obviously they apologized but really, I do not see why they needed to hear back from Nintendo before taking it down.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Very stupid. Like everyone knows the singers english isnt exactly perfect and certain pronunciations are going to be borked.

LKD is also at fault for even penning the article before reaching out to ninty/sega but at least she didnt want to publish it until hearing back. Big editor fool though thought it was ok to push out there.

Thanks for finally changing the title OP

It wasnt OP.

Ops literally cant change the thread title.

People reported the thread since it was misleading, so a Mod changed it.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Kotaku: The song contains a terrible slur
Atlus: Um actually no it doesn't
Kotaku: We apologize unequivocally
OP: WHAT IS ATLUS TRYING TO HIDE

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope people understand that this isn't "just a mistake", this is a mistake that comes from racism. Everyone knows Persona's lyrics can be hard to understand because the singer isn't a native english speaker and outright accusing her of saying a slur is so shitty.

Stuff like this is why non native english speakers like me are afraid/unconfident of speaking english, our accents already are mocked.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, they just share a name. Kotaku UK and Kotaku US are not owned by the same parent company.

Whoa, I didn't realize that. I guess I need to read into how/why they share a name. I noticed that Kotaku.com articles also show up on the UK site, so I'll need to look into what exactly their relationship is.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fair apology. Still, there are lessons for Kotaku UK and LKD to learn here and I hope they learn them.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
so you still think it is in the song?

I'm saying I don't know what the fuck is in there, and have not found any of the alternate suggestions to be more plausible. Considering how Persona consistently courts edgy concepts like sexuality and gender politics and completely mangles them, it feels entirely in keeping with the direction of the series for the lyric of this section to be what was claimed.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I'm saying I don't know what the fuck is in there, and have not found any of the alternate suggestions to be more plausible. Considering how Persona consistently courts edgy concepts like sexuality and gender politics and completely mangles them, it feels entirely in keeping with the direction of the series for the lyric of this section to be what was claimed.
So you are basically a truther.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
This thread title (edit: now former thread title, thanks mods) is appropriate considering it's just as bizarre as everything else to do with this story.

The original article was atrocious, a half baked accusation with zero effort made to actually do their due diligence despite the obviously pretty damaging accusation and subtle racism that comes along with not doing so, the reveal that the article seemed to have been published early against the will of the writer and that they didn't want to put it up before actually getting a response, the subsequent seeming gagging of the writer and finally this apology which comes along whilst the original article is still up, basically invalidating it completely.

Whilst I do think the writer just fucked up and wrote a dumb, low effort article, it feels like it's more the site itself that is trying to milk this for all its worth, getting all those controversy clicks while they can despite the harassment the writer is getting.

All in all this is kind of the encapsulation of the issues with games journalism. No, not that it's SJW propaganda or whatever bullshit the manbabies on Twitter are screaming today, but that it's often just blatantly unprofessional. This is an article throwing out accusations of ableism against people across the world based on a mishearing of someone singing in accented English. Hell, even if it's revealed in the coming days that she totally is using the slur, the articles jump to damaging, slanderous conclusions wouldn't be validated, since all that would prove is that they took what could have been a decent small article highlighting an issue with a known problematic company and instead churned out a clickbait nothing piece to capitalise on the hottest new Smash character.

I'd hope that people would learn from this, but they won't. The same way no one is going to really talk about the harassment because "hey, she deserved it, right?" as if the harassment is anything other than an outlet for horrible people to release their horrible feelings.

lemonade

May 8, 2018

LMAO. Dying on a hill that even Kotaku UK has abandoned. Way to double down on a mistake someone else created.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
why have kotaku apologised then?

They apologized almost as soon as the article went live on Twitter, or at least the author (Laura Kate Dale) did.
In the previous discussion of the article, I believed that the article should have at least gotten feedback from Atlus or Nintendo before going out.
I posted this update because the article included comment from Nintendo and Atlus.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Editor made the wrong call here.

All the hate towards LKD has been absolutely uncalled for. We should hold news sites to standards without resorting to attacks.

They never came back with the actual lyrics, just a "the thing you heard, yeah it's not that. We also don't know what it is."

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
You literally think it's more likely that the singer said "retarded" than any other phrasing based on...?

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019

So basically you desperately want that word retarded in the lyrics to have your views on Atlus and the Persona series confirmed once again.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you have an axe to grind with persona then, and are trying to legitimize it by making this into a controversy. Why not just criticize persona and it's place in smash directly with the more concrete issues instead of chasing this one?

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019

are you just askin' questions maaan

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I see the alt-right types have been hounding her online. But to be absolutely fair, I don't understand how this article went up in the first place.

Then the non apology and going away from Twitter and social media just looks bad. There's a lack of maturity by the author here. Journalists are allowed to make a mistake, but when you do, you apologize and make it right, not hide.

Edit: and the article is still up with the original title and apparently there's a updated version but some sort of technical glitch is preventing the page from being updated with the appended information clarifying that the slur is only one of many possible reads.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
So you want to it be true because you have a problem with atlus

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
"flat earthers reports that eggheads say no proof of the earth being flat exists, a glib non definitive answer who knows it may still be"

Status
Not open for further replies.