• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/04/19/we-screwed-up-with-that-persona-lyric

The salient quote:
We asked Nintendo both for an official transcription of the lyric, and for an explanation as to why this section of the song is omitted from the official lyric transcription. We've now received the following reply:

We checked with Atlus who confirmed that the actual lyrics of the song do not include the word "retarded".
Frustratingly, this does not clear up the confusion over what the singer is actually saying.

But we accept that this article was a mistake. Publish in haste, as they say, and repent at leisure. We would like to apologise to Atlus, Nintendo, and the many Persona fans who were angry about this piece. It looks like we got it wrong. We screwed up: sorry.

My biggest concern remains that if you go by the official lyrics sheets, yeah, the entire section that was under discussion in the previous article wasn't anywhere. Saying that the "actual lyrics of the song" do not include the word could even be technically true at the same time that it could be what the singer is saying. EDIT: This is why the previous version of this post's title included the comment that it was a "glib non-answer" which has since been edited by mods.

Anyway go ahead and dismissively flame me for my faulty ears if old

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like your thread title should have been "Kotaku UK confirms they screwed up with that persona lyric".

data

Oct 25, 2017
I felt they really should've done more research before publishing with he clickbait title.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naw, I'd rather actually detail an article's contents than regurgitate a headline

More like you'd rather frame your thread on the one sentence in order to spin fault away from Kotaku rather than what the article is about - that they screwed up badly. It's a very misleading thread title.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
While I knew it wasn't part of the official lyrics, I always misheard it as that too when I listened to the song. Straight up misfire by Kotaku to jump the gun on this though since it's just a mispronunciation on the singer's part, something you can't really frame as intentionally dropping a slur in this situation.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe press them for their homophobia and transphobia, which there is more than enough proof of instead.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
Feels like your thread title should have been "Kotaku UK confirms they screwed up with that persona lyric".

It should have. This one definitely feels like a weird attempt to excuse Kotaku.

Incidentally, that's literally the only response they could have gotten. That's an improvisational part by a Japanese artist, and it was reckless to begin with to assume that there was any ill intent on her part.

Incidentally, this "apology" feels way too flippant to be sincere.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Saying that the "actual lyrics of the song" do not include the word could even be technically true at the same time that it could be what the singer is saying.
Or she's singing "retard it", which is a pretty harmless musical term for, iirc, speeding/slowing down the song or volume, similar to a "break it down!" in other music, which perfectly makes sense in the context. Surely more than a random "retarded".

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We contacted Atlus and Nintendo for comment before publication. But we published the article before a response was received and, as the subsequent fallout has shown, that was a mistake. I'm the editor of the site and, ultimately, that means this error was down to me and me alone.

No explanation for why they'd actually do that? This wasn't some terribly time pressing concern

Naw, I'd rather actually detail an article's contents than regurgitate a headline
One could say that Kotaku saying that they screwed up is a huge part of the content

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
The moment I saw this and read that they had asked for comment and would update later, I had a feeling it's be a shitstorm. Not gonna lie, I've thought that it said that before too, but with the amount of lyrics on the OST (and in that very song) that I've misheard, I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Should've just done a little due diligence and waited for comment. It's not exactly a time-sensitive matter, since the song's been out for 2+ years.

That said, I think the backlash LKD has faced is uncalled for. She messed up, they apologized and tried to make it right, but I've seen some downright nasty shit thrown at her. A conversation can be had about journalistic duty and due diligence without personal attacks, so here's hoping none of that ends up in this thread

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nintendo would have let that slide, I mean they changed Bayonetta's quote "Don't mess (instead of f*ck) with a Witch"

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I understand why it's frustrating to not get a specific explanation for exactly what the words here are, since it's so difficult to tell, but it's real wild to try and still turn this around on Atlus. It's pretty obvious this is a deeply embarrassing incident for Kotaku UK and shouldn't have been published from the get-go until there was more information. Any other framing of this story is bizarre.

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
It's too bad they didn't acknowledge or apologize for the low-key racism of the article accusing an ESL singer of dropping random slurs in a song for no reason

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry OP, but that headline is 20% of the article, and the response hardly seems 'glib', while you ignore the copious mea culpa that Kotaku is doing here..

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku should have never allowed them to publish this article without doing their due diligence first.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Nintendo's answer doesn't actually tell us anything we didn't already know. The official lyrics don't contain the slur, but also they don't contain the whole freestyle bit where it is possibly said. The original article mentioned this already too.

Anyway, I mostly hope the article's writer will be alright. She already got a lot of people harassing her because of this and this article isn't exactly helping with that.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thread title is misleading, it makes it sound like Kotaku is doubtful of the answer Atlus gave when it's just been editorialized by the OP. The actual contents of the article is mostly apologetic and owning up to their mistake.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
OP, there's no point in calling the answer glib and non-enlightening.

The only issue here is that Kotaku fucked up by rushing out an article based on a misheard lyric. Nothing more.

Deleted member 54320

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I was going to mention this as well. Laura has usually been pretty good and this was a mistake, no doubt, but I don't think she deserved the abuse she got on Twitter about it.
It sounds cliche to mention this but people often forget that there is a person behind every article and such.

Mistakes were made but people need to relax a little.

warp_

Banned
Mar 23, 2019
seems like a perfectly reasonable answer and about as much attention as the original article deserves

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to mention this as well. Laura has usually been pretty good and this was a mistake, no doubt, but I don't think she deserved the abuse she got on Twitter about it.
Nobody deserves twitter abuse but she should know better than to publish an article like this without doing her due diligence beforehand and imo that merits her being called out. Just like her bizarre comments in past reviews also deserve to be pointed out and called out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.