• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
Unsolicited sexual advances and now unsolicited NFTs, what will this gem of a company think of next.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You code sixteen gigs, whattya get?
Another damn ape from another damn set
Whole battle's got me rattled, guess we lost the war;
I'm rich in gifs, but in dollars I'm poor

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that employers will give them away to staff is kind of another argument for them being worthless. Might as well be preaching about their value while giving them away at trade shows or in Happy Meals.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how long it will take for them to pay boni in NFTs to their Staff lol.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that employers will give them away to staff is kind of another argument for them being worthless. Might as well be preaching about their value while giving them away at trade shows or in Happy Meals.
These things will make you rich because they have digital scarcity and thus are really rare.

We just made a bunch of them on a whim in the hopes of shutting you up.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can someone just acquire this company already?

AC games to include a new release edition with NFTs, I'm sure. Get those spreadsheets ready.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be so mad if someone ever gave me anything crypto as a gift. It's such a blatant move to try and lure people into that ecosystem, which has a direct material benefit to people currently holding crypto. The gift is saying "please be a greater fool for me".

Oct 31, 2017
"In the meantime, the core use-case for Quartz NFTs remains in-game hats."

All this shit for this? It's not worth it, fam!

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

(Ubisoft's head of NFTs)

Seriously, fuck this guy. He's cancerous to Ubisoft (in addition to their numerous other cancers).

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This reminds me of the time my company made a partnership with some new app and gave all the employees free money to use in it and test it out. Only one of us did, the rest of us thought it was (and still is) a scam.

Auraboshi

Feb 4, 2022
Ireland

(Ubisoft's head of NFTs)

Seriously, fuck this guy. He's cancerous to Ubisoft (in addition to their numerous other cancers).

Like we all know they are scams and a cancer in this world but I keep seeing these assholes say "NFTs open possibilities for other kind of games that we do not see yet." Have they ever actually said what those possibilities are? Cause lmao it's comedic

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Could spend money to fix company culture. But naw, waste money to create these things and pass them to your employees where they will just sit on them and not do what you want them to....."sell them" to your playerbase. :|

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

(Ubisoft's head of NFTs)

Try to visualize space aliens having a discussion among themselves to figure out the reasoning behind human behaviour patterns, then take a look at this exchange.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
reminds me in the part of REAM.DE by neal stephenson where theyu make the GRRM standin mine something in game (there's an mmo as part of the plot) and then sell it on ebay or something and see real money appear in his bankaccount and then he gets it

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
I'd rather have the $200 you flushed paying the gas fees for the minting. If my employer ever gave me an NFT I'd immediately start looking for a new job.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft is probably in the worst position they've ever been in, so they are just grasping at straws. How about instead of NFT's, you just focus on making good games that people want to play and that your staff are proud to work on?
I mean we're talking about a company where 'christmas present' to employees was allowing said employees to BUY games from the company at a discount for holidays.
Yes - the christmas bonus was actually a net-cash benefit to the company.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
So the employees will be taxed on whatever Ubi says is the value of these NFTs regardless of how much then can end up selling them for? RSUs and Options are complicated enough from a tax perspective, what the hell do you use for the cost basis of an NFT as part of a compensation package. Are they even thinking about this?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This is such a horrible move. "Eeeh, we heard you don't fully support our move towards features that are nothing but predatory and literally gambling and also very likely legally questionable in many countries? How about here, take this, now you're actively forced to make use of it, too, regardless if you want to or not."
I have a feeling Ubisoft is gonna lose more people over this than keeping or making happy ones.

Really wonder if they also created wallets for everyone to have them immediately invested as well.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Well they are deposited to their wallets so they can do whatever they want with them and those hats are basically ultra rare item that only devs got. So they can sell them and technically they are worth a lot. And ubisoft found the way to raise prices of their NFTs if devs sell them.

So they are not buying them from themselves because that would put them in big legal issues but they can gift rarest items to employees who they underpay and nudge them to sell XD

But does Ubisoft still get a cut from the sell?

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
How do you even give someone a NFT who doesn't want it?

From what I understand that is something you can do with them. Just place them in someone's wallet. And the fun part is they could essentially be viruses that activate when you try and remove them.

NFTs are stupid.

Oct 27, 2017
Like we all know they are scams and a cancer in this world but I keep seeing these assholes say "NFTs open possibilities for other kind of games that we do not see yet." Have they ever actually said what those possibilities are? Cause lmao it's comedic
Did you even read the article??
Pouard and other blockchain proponents have pitched scenarios in which cosmetic items can follow players between games.

P.S
That's not something current Quartz NFTs are set up to do, however, and according to sources, Pouard admitted internally that the "interoperability" question remains unanswered. In the meantime, the core use-case for Quartz NFTs remains in-game hats.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
This is all in the middle of the biggest talent exodus/brain drain they've suffered in Ubi's history.

Absolute geniuses heading this company...

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
This is no different than the company i worked for (restaurants) giving me a 50 bucks coupon to spend in one of their restaurants. Not interested

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I was thinking that they could sell it to get rid of it, but I guess that would mean they'd have to willingly participate in this scam.
Yes, and that's exactly the thought behind "gifts" like these. The whole point is the employees will either sell it (thus implying "value") or keep it (thus implying "scarcity"). The employees really can't win, especially so if they just got the wallets forced onto them.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
"To celebrate you working with us for 15 years, here is a receipt of an image! Enjoy!"

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Management loves chasing the latest shiny buzzword to look like they're doing something. This is no different.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I guess Ubi can now say they are fully committed to Crypto/NFT's, ie "All our employees own NFT's, because they believe it's the future!".

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
How do you even give someone a NFT who doesn't want it?

I'm not 100% confident this is correct but as I understand it: if someone has a digital wallet, and you know the address for their wallet, you can place anything in it without the owners consent, including cryptocurrency and NFTs.

They won't necessarily do anything until the owner interacts with them, however, placing Trojan NFTs into people's wallets is supposedly one of the scams people run, and another glaring security issue that surrounds the whole thing.

Again, not 100% sure on the details, so anyone who knows better, feel free to correct me.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
The fucking nerve. Forget spot stock or a bonus as a thank you, you can't even spring for some team swag? The thanks you get is essentially digital toilet paper (that Ubisoft takes a cut of any profit from?)

THAT'S what Ubisoft decided to go with in THIS current job market? LMAO. Enjoy getting your talent poached. Fuck right off.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
And thus a mass exodus will further be accelerated at Ubisoft.

Fuck this nonsense. Those devs need to to bail; hopefully lots of places opening up to the talent being mismanaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.