• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
J2oGpiN.gif

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
This motherfucker. I can't help but think their sudden interest in remake is just a ploy to popularize said IP to sell NFT.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I've been avoinding Ubisoft for years, even forgot why (although they keep tempting me with Anno and Rayman and I did buy the Switch Rabbids game). Easy pass. Will stick to Nintendo and indies, should be fine.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they're entirely cosmetic and there's some kind of way to just turn that content off if you don't want to be exposed to it or know about it (seriously, there should just be a normalized check box in the options, default it to on if you want, but let me turn it off), I don't really care that much as it seems the writing is on the wall w/r/t NFTs being forced as "the next big thing". I think it'll die as a fad, and outside of a few collectors NFTs that manage to actually gain value, most of this stuff will be ignored or forgotten.

The problem is, I don't trust them to do that, to keep the gameplay and experience sacred. There is eventually going to be some kind of NFT you have to have to buy in order to get story content or an extra mission that should just be in the game regardless, or whatever, and that, to me, is significant, and I'm going to be very, very upset. It's only a matter of time.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This cements that I wont buy any Ubisoft titles anymore. Company is dead to me.

The only benefit NFT could ever bring to gaming would be able to sell your used digital game that you have no interest in playing anymore, but no publisher is ever going to do that. They spent so much effort trying to kill the used game market, they would never let an used digital game market exist.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I guess he heard that NFTs are an assault on the environment and got hard at the idea of assaulting something.

Fuck this prick and his fucking company.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Just the beginning...

It's bad enough already. Imagine how fully integrated this shit will be in games that are at the start of their dev cycle right now. Assassin's Creed Infinite NFTs.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe you should do your own research? Because a lot of "NFTs are bad..." arguements are not compelling and get debunked shortly after they are posted.

You have yet to provide any meaningful argument why NFTs are necessary and what they bring to the table. And you got a lot of arguments against them that you chose to ignore.

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
You have yet to provide any meaningful argument why NFTs are necessary and what they bring to the table. And you got a lot of arguments against them that you chose to ignore.

That's because there aren't any.

Even Ubisoft's Quartz FAQ had a question "Isn't it possible to do all this without NFTs?" and the answer was a simple "Yes."

Don't know why that question was there though, maybe legally required.

The point is that there's literally nothing that NFTs can do for games that we weren't already be able to do, there is absolutely no reason to use the technology.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I told him to actively seek information not just to form an opinion based on comments, problem?

There's too much fud on this subject right now. I read through this forum occasionally and when it comes to NFTs and blockchain there's a lot of misinformation. Like this post for example:

The value add proposition from NFTs is dubious; they don't add anything new that games haven't done before (Valve's inventory system for Team Fortress 2 is basically an NFT)

Publishers are getting hyped because they're looking at it like their own Valve style inventory, where they get to take royalties on each transaction, without having to build any of the infrastructure themselves. To them it's free money

What they aren't thinking about are the gas fees to make this possible. You could spend $100 per transaction on an Ethereum NFT because the network is congested (think like all of the people trying to log onto FF14 all at once; you pay "surge pricing" to get your transaction through and "log on")

Those gas fees will heavily disincentive people from actually trading these things. They aren't going to have speculative value like the "funny monkey jpg" because there's no meme status to be had with a corporate picture of a mask in a video game. The cosmetics themselves are uninspired and just numbers on armor.

Then you have the ethical issues with the potential damage to the environment by incentivizing this technology to be used when there's a clear alternative (have Ubisoft set up their own databases for their cosmetics and their own marketplace) that could be a lot more environmentally friendly. These exclusive cosmetics could be taken to a ridiculous extreme too, I.E. you have to own the Mario Amiibo NFT in the first edition set to play as Mario in Mario Odyssey 2 or something.

All of those drawbacks to the customer, just because they think they'll get some easy money. It's not hard to see why this might not end well for Ubisoft.

Parrots the environmental arguement (which has already had it's irony highlighted) when NFTs or blockchain aren't inherently environmentally unfriendly. In fact UBISOFT is using a proof of stake system so the arguement doesn't work here.

This benign tech will be used for what people want it to be used for, just like AI or robotics. Can be good or bad. If posters want to get up in arms every time it gets mentioned then let's at least try to make the arguements factual...

For example, NFTs and blockchain aren't inherently a grift, Ponzi, or laundering scheme either, it's just tech that will be used by whoever to do what they wish to do with it. If and when you find some that are bad and do those things, by all means, direct your ire there. I wont stop you, I'll probably join in...

I ignored them because they amounted to "let's just keep the status quo because I fear what will happen" based on the same mentioned arguements. I'm not as invested as some of you seem to be...

I don't need to make a case for these technologies btw, all these threads are doing it for me. This tech is in use and posters are still here asking 'tell me what uses their are!' ... 'why would any company ever use it?'

We are not doomed, the world is not ending, this tech will not bring about the end of gaming or life as we know it. It will be here in 5 years and barely anyone will recall the initial friction in places like these...

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Even Ubisoft's Quartz FAQ had a question "Isn't it possible to do all this without NFTs?" and the answer was a simple "Yes."

The point is that there's literally nothing that NFTs can do for games that we weren't already be able to do, there is absolutely no reason to use the technology.

Ubisoft ToS for Quartz is kinda crazy. They literally say in ToS that NFTs are for consumption only and that they shouldn't be used for speculative trades and generating profit. And then they go and use "you can sell them" as one of the marketing points.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
absolutely awful. def seems like the people who are in position to actively take advantage of this shit are in positions where they can push this on to the rest of us, unfortunately.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am so glad my company is firmly against this speculative NFT nonsense that Ubisoft seemingly is diving headfirst into.

Feb 24, 2018
I feel at this point we've had enough people explain NFTs in Era for me to get the idea... But is the "metaverse" exactly supposed to be?

Because the only things it makes me think of is Seto Kaiba and Digimon and if I don't get a Palmon out of it, I couldn't give a damn.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when people were hoping the Yves family held on to the company since the "evil corporate overlords" were going to take over years ago. Such irony.
I won't defend Yves, but Vivendi would have been infinitely worse, I have no proofs but I have no doubts either. Ubisoft was in a good position back then.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I feel at this point we've had enough people explain NFTs in Era for me to get the idea... But is the "metaverse" exactly supposed to be?

Because the only things it makes me think of is Seto Kaiba and Digimon and if I don't get a Palmon out of it, I couldn't give a damn.
It's basically Second Life, Matrix, Ready Player One etc. Not a new concept but companies are heavily investing in it because of the rise of VR/AR and other stuff, it's creepy af but what you can do.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
As if Ubisoft needed even more reasons for me to hate them. Ignoring their games has become real easy between the shit company itself, the Factory like game designs and now the inclusion of NFTs.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I told him to actively seek information not just to form an opinion based on comments, problem?

There's too much fud on this subject right now. I read through this forum occasionally and when it comes to NFTs and blockchain there's a lot of misinformation. Like this post for example:

Parrots the environmental arguement (which has already had it's irony highlighted) when NFTs or blockchain aren't inherently environmentally unfriendly. In fact UBISOFT is using a proof of stake system so the arguement doesn't work here.

This benign tech will be used for what people want it to be used for, just like AI or robotics. Can be good or bad. If posters want to get up in arms every time it gets mentioned then let's at least try to make the arguements factual...

For example, NFTs and blockchain aren't inherently a grift, Ponzi, or laundering scheme either, it's just tech that will be used by whoever to do what they wish to do with it. If and when you find some that are bad and do those things, by all means, direct your ire there. I wont stop you, I'll probably join in...

I ignored them because they amounted to "let's just keep the status quo because I fear what will happen" based on the same mentioned arguements. I'm not as invested as some of you seem to be...

I don't need to make a case for these technologies btw, all these threads are doing it for me. This tech is in use and posters are still here asking 'tell me what uses their are!' ... 'why would any company ever use it?'

We are not doomed, the world is not ending, this tech will not bring about the end of gaming or life as we know it. It will be here in 5 years and barely anyone will recall the initial friction in places like these...

For not needing to make a case you try to make one pretty hard tbh.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017

aight I believe you now shill your monkey jpg

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Royalties. Companies like NFTs because they get a slice of profits from all sales volume.

When you sell me your shitty DLC skin for $1000 to me, Ubisoft will receive $100 of that through the royalties address assigned in the metadata of the NFT.

In perpetuity.

A new revenue stream.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
The irony of Avatar being an immensely environmental and eco-friendly franchise, being supported by this shit?
I wonder if Cameron knows.
Ubisoft is using the tezos blockchain, not Ethereum. Its carbon footprint is tiny. It doesnt use any more energy than a regular server room of the same scale would.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good for them I guess. I'll never buy their shit again. Another pub off the list. Although amusingly I wouldn't have considered them a big pub for a few years now either. Eternally slipping anyway.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's... like a very interesting peek at just how delusional he has to be to say that with a straight face. Like... MTs and lootboxes - especially lootboxes - are not exactly beloved lol.

But games filled with that shit still sell gangbusters, AND make bonus money with it. Going by his logic, you'll still buy the next Ghost Recon, AC or whatever, and if 5% of players buy some NFTs, that's just free money on top.

NFT for them is actually genius. They do nothing and take a cut on every transaction, every time the same object gets sold over and over again. It's literally free money to them, how can we expect them to not do it.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
The future of not buying Ubisoft games ever for me

Facebook thinks middle aged parents and racist grandparents will buy Oculus products if it had just one realistic Roblox they own, when the reality is every big company will have their own realistic Roblox if there's any money from it. And considering how sanitized all these big money projects would be, all you're getting is a palmon shirt that costs $30 in real life and can't resell.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can imagine "Blumenkranz" from Kill La Kill swelling in the background during the announcement.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
You make it sound like PoS is somehow completely carbon neutral, rather that it being an utterly frivolous addition to our energy consumption.
moving-the-goalposts.gif

Move them goalposts...

But seriously, as someone already alluded to, mostly none of us on this gaming forum are carbon neutral if you wanna go down that route. Listen, if being carbon neutral is your metric then fine, it isn't neutral. Wasn't the point I was making though. PoS is clearly not an environmental concern anymore.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
But games filled with that shit still sell gangbusters, AND make bonus money with it. Going by his logic, you'll still buy the next Ghost Recon, AC or whatever, and if 5% of players buy some NFTs, that's just free money on top.

NFT for them is actually genius. They do nothing and take a cut on every transaction, every time the same object gets sold over and over again. It's literally free money to them, how can we expect them to not do it.
The same object won't get sold over and over again, they make more money selling new objects and forbidding reselling.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
What will really be telling is the games that won't just have NFTs tacked on but will have this NFT push from the beginning of their design and development.... like the just announced Splinter Cell. Can guaran-fucking-tee you that NFTs are some kind of core pillar for that game if this is how Yves is talking today.
I would assume games like this are required to be "always online" too since they'd need connections to whatever marketplace is selling the tokens, right?