• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Source:

kotaku.com

Ubisoft Boss Tells Employees That NFTs Are Just The Beginning

CEO Yves Guillemot compared the backlash to microtransactions and loot boxes

Sigh.

You know, this got me thinking.

I was one of Lead Designers on Watch Dogs Legion - an openly anti-dystopian, anti-abusive leadership game (not at Ubi anymore).

If NFTs ever make their way to WD, that will be the literal peak of irony.

I wonder how much negative press it will take for the upper management to stop pushing this shit.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Yves is a trash human being so this does not surprise me whatsoever.

So disappointing to see this shit.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
An anti-dystopian anti-abusive leadership game being developed by Ubisoft is already pretty close to the peak of irony.

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
Not that I had too much faith in their upcoming Avatar and SW games, but I'm sure those two will be littered with NFTs? Shame.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like start of a really cheesy villain speech.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
they have zero problems with pushing anything to exploit people

this we know

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft just continues to be a fucking horrible company, few years ago I thought they were turning around, but it was just a small detour into something worse.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there will ever be those wow moments in gaming again like Mario 64, etc. It's all just depressing the way it's going with these NFTs etc.

*Old man rant over*

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much money is actually in NFT? Not money that's just being re-circulated between the same people?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Man so this is that secret speech the villain cuts at the end of a season huh? Like the one done behind doors that sets up darker seasons.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The title of this article sounds like it's from a supervillain speech.

edit: Half the posts on this page are reacting the same way as I did.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Umm those still still regular backlash lootboxes got the most backlash and this will be the same.
According to them, the Ubisoft co-founder said the backlash to the Quartz announcement was expected, and likened it to initial public outcry over previous new developments in the games industry like DLC, microtransactions, and loot boxes. The implication seemed to be that NFTs would become similarly accepted over time. Some employees were concerned by the comparison since even Ubisoft's own microtransactions, like XP boosters, still regularly draw scrutiny from players.
kotaku.com

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
The irony of Avatar being an immensely environmental and eco-friendly franchise, being supported by this shit?
I wonder if Cameron knows.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
I remember when the entire industry backed Ubisoft when the Vivendi takeover happened. Seems like all that goodwill was for nothing

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I haven't cared about anything they've put out in years but it's annoying that they're setting this precedent which will allow others to jump on this shit.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Source:

kotaku.com

Sigh.

I was one of Lead Designers on Watch Dogs Legion - an openly anti-dystopian, anti-abusive leadership game (not at Ubi anymore).

I wonder how much negative press it will take for the upper management to stop pushing this shit.

Just wanted to say I loved WD:L so thanks. And yeah NFT = No Fucking Thanks to that shit for me lol.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
kimberly-guilfoyle-the-best-is-yet-to-come.gif

rokninja

Oct 27, 2017
Tempe, AZ
\
Umm those still still regular backlash lootboxes got the most backlash and this will be the same.

kotaku.com

Yeah that's... like a very interesting peek at just how delusional he has to be to say that with a straight face. Like... MTs and lootboxes - especially lootboxes - are not exactly beloved lol.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
What will really be telling is the games that won't just have NFTs tacked on but will have this NFT push from the beginning of their design and development.... like the just announced Splinter Cell. Can guaran-fucking-tee you that NFTs are some kind of core pillar for that game if this is how Yves is talking today.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Rampant sexual harassment? I sleep.

NFT grift? Real shit?

Peak Ubisoft. Garbage ass company.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
These companies are always extremely thirsty. No amount of money will ever satisfy them. Always ready to move ahead with the next scam.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've officially written this company off and will not be purchasing any of their games. God damn trash ass company.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Fuck this guy and the rest of the leadership in France.

I know many that worked for Ubisoft and Gameloft in MTL for many years and none of em can stand these guys.

Without Ubi MTL that made their biggest IPs, theyd be still stuck with Raymans or wtv.

And now Yves is threatening them with NFTs lmao.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
i mean at least he officially acknowledges that the company will only get worse from here, even though there isn't much more room to go down at this point

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yves Guillemot and Peter Molyneux should just go off and make NFT shit on their own. Leave the actual game designers to make games.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
This company is so fucking garbage. I doubt even Splinter Cell will be enough to get me to give them my money again.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
When Guillemot was pressed for details about what new types of gameplay NFTs and blockchain technology would make possible, sources told Kotaku the CEO didn't really provide any. Instead he spoke more broadly about how concepts like the metaverse would allow players to build and sell virtual houses, and have agency in the game creation process itself.

Wonder how many ape jpegs he owns.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Source:

kotaku.com

Sigh.

I mean... We're talking about the company that released the game "Shaun White: Skateboarding" that was all about "fighting the system" and anti-establishment but was full of ads for Wendys and Stride Gum to the point that there was an achievement called "Ridiculously Long Lasting" that you got for finding 5 of the Stride Gum ad billboards lol.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I remember back when everyone was going nuts because EA was trying to buy UBI. And evil EA was going to destroy awesome UBI.

Good times. UBI is second fiddle to nobody now on the shitty meter.