• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
During an earnings call Thursday, Ubisoft gave investors a brutally frank appraisal of Ghost Recon Breakpoint, its latest release and vowed to implement "significant changes to our production processes" to fix the game.

In a prepared statement you can read online, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot laid out the reasons the publisher believes the open-world special ops shooter didn't sell as well as expected.
Guillemot noted that changes Breakpoint made to the Ghost Recon formula have "been strongly rejected by a significant portion of the community." Guillemot also noted the game's negative critical reception. Compounding that, somewhat paradoxically, is that he said Breakpoint wasn't different enough to really stand out.

Guillemot cites Breakpoint's underperformance (and The Division 2's less severe, but still disappointing, performance) as a primary reason for the company's just-announced delays of some of its most high-profile upcoming games.

In response to investor concern over live-service game fatigue and monetization, Ubisoft asserted that it is not interested in pay-to-win microtransactions, and instead will continue to focus on in-game events. (As recently as Breakpoint, however, Ubisoft has dabbled with microtransactions that do in fact have gameplay impact.)
I wonder what changes they're gonna make to the game besides the obvious bug fixes.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Seems to me they need some variety, nearly everything they make now follows the same "Live Service" Design. For me it's stale.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm not sure how Ubisoft thought it could not only release 2 gaas tom clancy game in the same calendar year, but continue to support the other gaas tom clancy games they're already supporting.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Ubi had been on quite a positive streak, but 2019 has truly been a disaster.

The problem is I'm not sure how they get out of this downward spiral. Everything they have coming out in 2020 seems niche (gods and monsters, that roller derby game) or too much of the same as other games in their library (Rainbow six quarantine, watchdogs 3).

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
The community were extremely vocal in their criticisms ever since the reveal.

People wanted Wildlands 2, not an always online loot shooter with drones everywhere and no squad AI.

Matador

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 12, 2019
Why can't these companies just take their time and make a good game that isn't a cash grab? Why would they willingly destroy their brand and reputation for short term profit?

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The next Ghost Recon should ditch the open world. Far Cry fills the role of open-world shooter quite nicely already. Ghost Recon could be Ubisoft's COD-like.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Why did they deviate from Wildlands? Not that it was great, but it was pretty much serviceable.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
One of the most baffling and unnecessary releases I've seen in a long time.

I would have paid for and maybe loved the original vision of breakpoint. Instead we got wildlands coop gungho mark 2 with more bugs and not the survival tactical game we were sold on. They could have built something unique off the original and sacrificed it to the alter of GaaS and coop.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is I'm not sure how they get out of this downward spiral. Everything they have coming out in 2020 seems niche (gods and monsters, that roller derby game) or too much of the same as other games in their library (Rainbow six quarantine, watchdogs 3).

I think WD3 will be fine. It's been moved to the second half of the year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they try to release it near or at the launch of the next-gen consoles in order to ensure extra hype. Plus they're doing enough new stuff with it to garner attention on those changes. The biggest problem they have is something they admitted in this report, which is that it's hard to build up hype for a sequel to a live service title. It seems like those are games where unless you'remaking substantial changes to the game, then it's best to just keep building on top of what you already have.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The biggest problem they have is something they admitted in this report, which is that it's hard to build up hype for a sequel to a live service title. It seems like those are games where unless you'remaking substantial changes to the game, then it's best to just keep building on top of what you already have.

That is exactly what they should do. Live service games should only be putting out a new entry when there is a generation shift to take advantage of the new hardware. Division 2 and Breakpoint should have been premium expansions for Division and Wildlands. If they had to have a retail release have it be like Iceborn or Destiny Taken King where it's the base game + all minor dlc + big expansion dlc on a disc for people who are lttp to jump in on, or as a deal to people who bought vanilla and none of the dlc up till now.

Status
Not open for further replies.