• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
That might have something to do with Mercury Steam releasing a technically solid product, competitive within its respective genre, and doing it with much less budget presumably than GameFreak has.

You might be right. And as two self-respecting connoisseurs of adequate gaming software that wouldn't be seen dead arguing about an un-released game which we both haven't played yet surely we should be joining them.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
I have very little interest in this game but the statement in the Kotaku's article implies more about the mission flow than the map design. It could still be one or multiple large open areas. Maybe I'm not acquainted enough with MH though.

Exploration looks absolutely dreadful in the trailers anyway.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
Some people here are so funny. The format of a game does not make it good or bad.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
You might be right. And as two self-respecting connoisseurs of adequate gaming software that wouldn't be seen dead arguing about an un-released game which we both haven't played yet surely we should be joining them.
Maybe a person shouldn't be downplaying another game if that's the case which the person that you spoke about earlier did.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Some people here are so funny. The format of a game does not make it good or bad.
People can still discuss what they'd hope the game would be, and contextualize the technical aspects with this new info.

Like "why do MHR look ten times better than the biggest game on the platform if they have similar scope"?

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
I personally don't have any issues with the structure of the game, open world or more monster hunter like, and I applaud Gamefreak for trying something new. I'm genuinely excited to see how this shake up pans out.

But I'm still really put off by the games visuals, it's just so damn ugly and I don't understand why. Textures, animation, frame rate and just general style. Nothing is aesthetically pleasing.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
this was painfully obvious if you watched any footage.
i don't care, i like how monster hunter handles it.

So why did you not point it out earlier.

It's just incredible how "painfully obvious" it is, yet none of the people espousing that thought to point it out.

Are you all just lying about it being obvious, or do you enjoy seeing people disappointed later?

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
But I'm still really put off by the games visuals, it's just so damn ugly and I don't understand why. Textures, animation, frame rate and just general style. Nothing is aesthetically pleasing.
With you on that. Feels like an unfinished project when you look at the visuals. Hoping they make more changes before the release.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
People can still discuss what they'd hope the game would be, and contextualize the technical aspects with this new info.

Like "why do MHR look ten times better than the biggest game on the platform if they have similar scope"?
But we don't really know yet the size of the Pokemon zones compared to MHR. We don't have context to contextualize.

Tailesque

Sep 28, 2021
Chicago
I personally don't have any issues with the structure of the game, open world or more monster hunter like, and I applaud Gamefreak for trying something new. I'm genuinely excited to see how this shake up pans out.

This is basically where I'm at too. I don't mind what kind of open world (or not) format it's going with by this point. But I don't think it looks too great and it doesn't seem to be running well. And none of the trailers have made a good case for the exploration looking worthwhile or interesting at all beyond scouting for Pokemon spawns. I'd obviously love to be proven wrong and have these aspects come together, though. Still a few months left, I suppose.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a person shouldn't be downplaying another game if that's the case which the person that you spoke about earlier did.

I know right .

"Here's Gamespot's final verdict on Metroid Dread….

+ Atmospheric and moody environment
+ Samus is back! Girl power!
- Did you know Pokémon is the largest most successful media franchise in the world? There isn't really any other excuse the next game in that series doesn't have a budget that the dev team of this game would kill for. They could have used it for some final polish"

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised tbh, the last trailer gave me a bit of hope but this already is starting to feel like the usual pokemon announcement cycle of 2 steps forward one back.

At least they are trying something new, let's see how it pans out.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
it's definitely a bummer that this isn't gonna be botw Pokémon like so many of us hoped, but I do think the areas we can explore are likely to be fairly large - I mean, it certainly looks like there's quite some distance you can travel in the environments we see in the trailers. hopefully the barriers are environmental and not just some random invisible wall

I still stand by this being a massive leap forward for the franchise, and admittedly am not sold on the graphical complaints. IMO, they're perfectly poised to make the full open world game we wanted next time

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
Honestly, I don't get what they're doing.

At this point in time I would be okay if they licensed the pokemon brand to any developer to make a game.

Any developer.

Just not gamefreak.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This was obvious from marketing. Open worlds are shit anyway. Give me an open world pokemon game in like 10 years when game freak decides to put some actual budget into their money maker

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak made a one hit wonder kinda like Mojang with minecraft, that's about it.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see how this pans out. MonHun works for me because the combat is sublime and the co-op aspect. At least the map looks huge and traversal seems fun.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
This is disappointing. Also people saying how it was so obvious its not open world the original era thread reveal of 69 pages- https://www.resetera.com/threads/po...itch-early-2022-open-world-turn-based.385400/

Everybody thought it was open world. Their marketing was such.

Wow I never realised how much people equated an open world to quality

I disagree there, that's an incredibly disingenuous statement to make
You basically went pokemon games has a bunch of them so dont forget the scope and complexity.

Poster -but mon hun game even after having lesser monsters has got a lot more going on with each of them whether it be animations, movement, environment interaction yet see the result.

You- no.

Lol whats the point of arguing then when thats all you can offer? In no world do pokemon games are more complex than mon hun. The difference is huge and shows capcoms technical prowess.

Adum

May 30, 2019
That's not it. I think Nintendo made an implied promise about the game being similar to Breath of the Wild with that first trailer. People are just disappointed that the game isn't going to be that. I'm disappointed too. That very first trailer looked awesome, but the more I learn about the game the more I feel I probably won't play it.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Doesn't make a difference to me, still getting it day one since it's the first time they've put any effort in since B2W2

Plum

May 31, 2018
pokemon_legends_arceus_box_art.jpg
3181114-europe.jpeg

Looking at these box arts alone I'm baffled as to how anyone could possibly think these two games had the same structure. I mean, is it not clear that one has relatively small segmented levels and the other is a complete open world? No, I won't say which one is which because it should be blindingly obvious to anyone.

Nah, but seriously. It should have been as clear as day that this wasn't an open world when Game Freak started sharing screenshots like this:

pokemon-legends-arceus.original.jpg

...which are 100%, entirely different to screenshots like this:

zelda_breath_of_the_wild_screenshot_facebook.jpg

To me it's like seeing a screenshot for New Super Mario Bros. and being disappointed when it turns out that it's not actually a 3D Mario game. Entirely your fault tbh.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is disappointing. Also people saying how it was so obvious its not open world the original era thread reveal of 69 pages- https://www.resetera.com/threads/pokémon-legends-arceus-announced-for-switch-early-2022-open-world-turn-based.385400/

Everybody thought it was open world. Their marketing was such.
Yeah, kinda strange to see a lot of people here acting like they knew it wasn't open world when you have a 69 pages reveal thread full of "OMG OPEN WORLD POKEMON , BREATH OF THE POKEMON"

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
3181114-europe.jpeg

Looking at these box arts alone I'm baffled as to how anyone could possibly think these two games had the same structure. I mean, is it not clear that one has relatively small segmented levels and the other is a complete open world? No, I won't say which one is which because it should be blindingly obvious to anyone.
But we don't know the size of the zones.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
3181114-europe.jpeg

It's almost as if people realized once they showed the in-game map and not from the boxart.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
The structure of the game was clear when they did their last big trailer and infodump on the website. I tried telling people it was clearly akin to monster hunter but a lot didn't want to hear it lol. In fairness, the marketing sure was trying to cover it up as much as possible and make it look open world unless you really looked close at what the website was saying.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
It's probably for the better that it's not open world. But yeah, they played a lot with the expectations of their fans by showing the first trailer the way they did.

I hope it turns out fine in the end.

I disagree there, that's an incredibly disingenuous statement to make

You made a disingenuous statement and then called it incredibly disingenuous when a poster politely pointed out that there is a big delta between the complexity and work that goes into MonHun monsters and Pokemon.

Maybe you should cool down a bit.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it, they should hire MiHoYo (Genshin Impact) to make a Pokemon open-world.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Strange, but whatever. My biggest turn-off is still how barren and dull the environments seem to be. I'm all for smaller environments if the size isn't justified.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
As long as the individual areas are big, open, and interconnected, I'm fine with this. Whatever helps them get their foot wet in that kind of design, it's the right direction.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
So let me get this straight, this game and MonHun are both on the same system, neither are fully open world, one was developed in the past, and yet MonHun still looks objectively better visually. What is the excuse for Gamefreak when MonHun exist on switch and looks visually superior?