• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, the latest game from the company behind Pokémon Go, lets players harness the magic of their childhood to combat monsters and collect shimmering digital artifacts across their local neighborhoods. Niantic's apps certainly encourage gamers to get outdoors and get active, but behind the scenes, Wizards Unite is quietly casting another spell: collecting a surprising amount of data about where you go.

Today, when you use Wizards Unite or Pokémon Go or any of Niantic's other apps, your every move is getting documented and stored—up to 13 times a minute, according to the results of a Kotaku investigation. Even players who know that the apps record their location data are usually astonished once they look at just how much they've told Niantic about their lives through their footsteps.

From the player's perspective, the Wizarding World is manifesting itself into their real one. But what's happening behind the scenes, and what does Niantic see? Players give Wizards Unite permission to track their movement using a combination of GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile cell tower triangulation. To understand the extent of this location data, Kotaku asked for data from European players who had all filed personal information requests to Niantic under the GDPR, the European digital privacy legislation designed to give EU citizens more control over their personal data. Niantic sent these players all the data it had on them, which the players then shared with Kotaku.

The files we received contained detailed information about the lives of these players: the number of calories they likely burned during a given session, the distance they traveled, the promotions they engaged with. Crucially, each request also contained a large file of timestamped location data, as latitudes and longitudes.

In total, Kotaku analyzed more than 25,000 location records voluntarily shared with us by 10 players of Niantic games. On average, we found that Niantic kept about three location records per minute of gameplay of Wizards Unite, nearly twice as many as it did with Pokémon Go. For one player, Niantic had at least one location record taken during nearly every hour of the day, suggesting that the game was collecting data and sharing it with Niantic even when the player was not playing.

In five days of gameplay, Niantic kept 2304 location records for one player. By looking at the timestamps and frequency with which this user would return to particular areas, we were able to correctly identify their employer and address of residence. Furthermore, by plotting these data points on a map we could correctly discern the routes the user took from work to home, their daily schedule, and even their eating habits. When we asked them about their propensity to eat Burger King for lunch, they were surprised that we knew that, saying afterwards that they were "addicted to fast food."

It's important to note that the personal data that players requested from Niantic and voluntarily shared with Kotaku is, according to Niantic, not something that a third party could buy from them, or otherwise be allowed to see. "Niantic does not share individual player data with third party sponsored location partners," a representative said, adding that it uses "additional mechanisms to process the data so that it cannot be connected to an individual."

Niantic's Kawai told Kotaku that the anonymized data that Niantic shares with third parties is only in the form of "aggregated stats," such as "how many people have had access or went to those in-game locations and how many actions people take in those in-game locations, how many PokeStop spins to get items happened on that day and… what unique number of people went to that location."

"We don't go any further than that," he said.

There is a lot more there, from history of Niantic and people involved in creation of many of the things tied to those games.

Last edited:

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like every two years we get the story about how location data companies are keeping location data.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
MappingYou sounds like Mewtwo's next evolution

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I bet they have a way of tracking you even when you block tracking just like everyone else.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Please don't tell me anyone is actually surprised by any of this? What on earth did you think was going on behind the scenes?

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I don't care.
It's 2019. Every major company in the world already knows everything about us

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of info people voluntarily provide on social media these days too. And a lot easier to find than using location data.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
You don't say! It's a location based game, this should have been apparent before even downloading it.

iOS now notifies you when, and how many times, apps have been using your location in the background, with the option to disable the functionality. The days of not knowing this information are pretty much in the past.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
We all know that they use location data, but why would Niantic needs to store it? I've only played Pokemon Go briefly so I'm not sure why the game needs location history.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
You're telling us there is nothing to discuss here because 'location tracking companies track your location'.
My comparison is sound.
You're also welcome to offer what you think there is to discuss here rather than making gross comparisons. No one plays Pokemon Go by force.

Aug 31, 2019
Nah, they are just storing location data more frequently than Pokemon Go. That is far from "mapping me".

Google does a much better job at that. They know my contacts, my tastes, my searches, profession, etc.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I'm assuming this wasn't known? Because in that case I just assumed it.

I can't see why anyone would think otherwise.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care.
It's 2019. Every major company in the world already knows everything about us
This is my sentiment as well. I understand privacy concerns, but you have to be pretty naive to think that your personal info isn't already on hundreds, if not thousands of databases that get shared and/or bought between big companies at this point. The price of free services is your personal data after all.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
I mean yeah

But I'm also not really bothered, as others have stated companies already know much about my personal movement

Google keeps track of it in fact, but the way I see it that's more useful info for me to be able to access and harmless if known by an AI in another country (its unlikely humans are sifting through all that data, and even if so...it still doesn't mean much)

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The extent to which they are tracking and storing data is absurd. Yes, these games will store location data but the examples in the article are beyond reason. Tracking a person very hour of every day even when the app is not actively being used is too much. It takes very little work to piece together an idea of that person's life which is very scary.

Niantic says they don't sell individualized data; that's great... But what if they experience a security breach? Then it won't matter because that data - and the users' privacy - will be up for grabs.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
maps already knows where I'm going the second I sit in my car. This doesn't shock me

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
They are mapping you! And then they're going to map me!

2xJaQEG.gif

(First thing that came to mind when reading the title)

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all should read the article. It's not just "HOLY SHIT POKEMON GO TRACKS YOUR LOCATION." If anything, it concedes early on that people are generally aware that these apps record their location, but that people often don't take the next step to imagining what can be done with that information. It's of a similar tenor to the New York Times feature about other smartphone apps that track your location and how that information can be used to make inferences about your lives. (The Kotaku piece links to this article, in case anyone was wondering.)

It also talks about geolocation as a personal fingerprint of sorts, the idea being that even anonymized geolocation data is relatively easy to de-anonymize because it turns out the list of places people tend to go are fairly unique, and all it takes is the ability to cross-reference anonymized data with some other source of data that is personalized. Crucially, this is something that doesn't require the transfer or sale of personally identifying information; it just requires a company that already has its own personalized dataset to buy an anonymized data set and make connections.

None of this is necessarily a revelation to people who are really in the know on this stuff. But there are likely a lot of people just like the people interviewed in the article that understand that their locations are being tracked, but not necessarily that patterns in that data (and deviations from those patterns) are easy to read and make inferences from. Even with that understanding, it can be difficult to make the further leap to "okay, so how does a company knowing that I was sick two days ago or that I like Burger King hurt me in the long run?"

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope they enjoy my boring life.
Problem is that companies are developing algorhythms to profile you and use that information for things like election rigging. I don't mind location tracking in principal, but it's totally unregulated so companies are gradually stepping out and seeing what they can get away with doing with the info. That's the scary shit.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
It's not even close to what Google Maps collects. Their monthly timeline tells me every store, building, and drive I've taken.