• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
This thread highlights a lot of issues:

1) Immediate defense of a person you know nothing about by claiming their words were obviously a joke.

2) Immediate acceptance of the first tweet you read from a very small Twitter account solely based on the accusations made. It should be noted that person tweeting, nor anyone in this thread, has provided proof that this women said anything of the sort and yet it didn't matter.

3) Immediate edits because you know the shit storm that will come for you when it could have been avoided by simply not commenting on a situation you know nothing about.

Oct 28, 2017
short jokes, as evidenced by this very thread, are something that is just wild to me that it's accepted by a lot of people

And other people doing short people jokes in respond to this thread or posting smirking gifs...

Era being Era.

yeup. the stigma behind being short is something that most people just readily mock and generally don't give a fuck about. add to that the fact it's been proven in studies that taller people are more respected, seen as more authoritative, make more money, etc. there's a psychological effect on short children on into adulthood, especially young men is immeasurable (it's generally the opposite for women, where unfortunately tall women suffer similar stigmas). and even on a very, very progressive forum like Era, we have people cracking jokes and mocking and downplaying it. replace that statement with any other feature of a person that is congenital. it's wild to me that it's acceptable to mock someone for their height

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
why are people accepting the tweet at face value, it's a STREAMER, there should be evidence of racist remarks immediately clipped right this second.

i'm not discounting it but you can't just say that about someone who streams as a job and not have video clips...

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well this thread ended up being a shit show from a lot of different angles so the end result should be interesting

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
"It's just a joke about a specific group of people not deserving human rights! Why are people so angry?"

Smh Era
Yup. I've been taking short person jokes basically all my life, I live with them, I laugh at them if they're good and hell, I joke about it myself sometimes even, but saying basically "you deserve no rights because you're short" isn't funny, what is the clever joke behind that?

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Absolutely fascinating that Era was adament about jumping to her defense immediately. I'm trying to figure out why.
I could go either way on her actual consequences, but I do think "just shitposting" is an extremely weird defense.

Shitposting has never been an inherent defense of anything. If anything it usually indicates the person is a bad actor more often than not (as turned out to be the case here).

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
That's shitty, you don't "express your love" for something by shitting on people. Her history really show who she is.

I also find it weird why some posts correlates "being short" with "gamers". She just offended a bunch of people that follow her, gamers or not, they should be pissed.

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
The body shaming and casting of people as subhuman was A-OK before you saw the tweet though, right?

i mean i'm not a man but i'm short af and just took it as an outlandish jokey kinda thing for a woman to say in a traditionally masc space tbh

the other info def reframes it as malicious and more in line with what you're saying, yeh

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017

1) Immediate defense of a person you know nothing about by claiming their words were obviously a joke.

2) Immediate acceptance of the first tweet you read from a very small Twitter account solely based on the accusations made. It should be noted that person tweeting, nor anyone in this thread, has provided proof that this women said anything of the sort and yet it didn't matter.

3) Immediate edits because you know the shit storm that will come for you when it could have been avoided by simply not commenting on a situation you know nothing about.

Points 1 and 3 I agree with. Point 2 is also noteworthy, but I think the incident in question is a case of bodyshaming completely valid to be judged on its own. So many changing their view after reading she's problematic further (from an unproven source) tells you a lot, though.

Last edited:

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Well this thread ended up being a shit show from a lot of different angles so the end result should be interesting
eyebrow-raise.gif

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Call me crazy, but any "joke" about how a specific group of people don't deserve human rights is completely fucked.

Blomkvist

Aug 1, 2020
User Banned (2 weeks): trolling, justifying toxic masculinity
Her defenders are 171+ cm tall neckbeards.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
That's a totally different scenario that people would, appropriately, have a totally different response to. What a weird comparison.
I don't know why he felt the need to do that. He should have just used the same scenario.

If a guy were to say, girls under such height don' have human rights and should go do surgery..... I bet you no one would take it as a joke.

Oh... I am 6'1" btw... thankfully, I still have rights.

if this is tre, its not funny.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I've been taking short person jokes basically all my life, I live with them, I laugh at them if they're good and hell, I joke about it myself sometimes even, but saying basically "you deserve no rights because you're short" isn't funny, what is the clever joke behind that?

Let's see what the mods do.

This will be an interesting thread to look back on.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
sometimes, this place really feels fake as hell to me. You can have people falling over eachother getting upset a thing in one thread, then just play body shaming off as a joke in another.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX

The third problem is part of Era's culture. People fear the mods, because everyone knows that going against the grain can sometimes be a bannable offense. I would like to see a more robust appeal system in the future, it would make these kind of threads less likely to turn out the way they do.

Having said that, I don't have any opinion on the person in the OP. There's too much that can be lost in translation, and I don't know enough about the FGC to make anywhere near a fair assessment.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
Thanks for hunting that down! Yeah, I can't tell if she's "joking" around there or not either, so I guess if this is going to upset a lot of people, the team had no choice but to shut it down.

Yeah, exactly my point. It would be totally different.
You said the following:
That's a totally different scenario that people would, appropriately, have a totally different response to. What a weird comparison.
Why are you lying lol

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Jokes against "short men" (definition of "short" may vary, some people even go up to 5'11) have become very common in the last two decades, pretty much going along with the diffusion of the internet.

Most of the time it goes over people's head, the same way of "male getting raped" is, but it's actually a not so subtle psychological factor affecting many (mostly young) males these days, probably going in tandem with the popularity of dating apps which are ruthless against short men since "perfect look" is all that matters (most of the time) over those.
This creates a good amount of self esteem problems which result in many affected people becoming either hikikomori-like or total spiteful jerks, the whole "incel" argument also has a good amount of roots deep into self-esteem problems, along other factors.

Body shaming is never good, especially with conditions that aren't the fault of anyone, height is almost entirely genetic and can't be controlled or "fixed" like being overweight is, "bone-lengthening", like this person is suggesting, is horrible and shouldn't ever being considered, it's nothing like any routine surgery.

Psychological suffering is very subtle and slowly, silently takes roots with things that some people may think are "normal jokes", even a shred of empathy would, most the times, avoid so many hidden problems.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Locking while we review many reports. Let me take a moment to remind everyone that body shaming is against the rules and will be actioned accordingly, just like it always has.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
As the reports have been processed, the thread has been reopened. Please be mindful and considerate when posting.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
Wow seeing a lot of these responses legitimately lowered my opinion of a lot of the user base here. Heads up, being a man doesn't mean cishet white without any medical disease, you're really not punching up or sticking it to anyone as much as you think. I'm really happy to see that mods aren't putting up with this garbage

OP
OP
sibarraz

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

This is another source claiming that the player said some problematic stuff

・A-cup women are not qualified to live
・The amniotic fluid of women over 30 is rotten/useless/spoiled
・She can't see a man who lives at home with parents in the same light as herself
・Balding's caused by bad karma from a past life catching up
・LGBT community is just a bunch of psychotic people with loud voices (meaning their metaphorical voices on issues)
・People who are depressed or working red light jobs would see their circumstances improve if they cast away their reliance on others.
・Depression and black people can be cured if they give up being naive. (I have heard people claiming that the black people kanji doesnt mean the race, but at this point wouldnt be shocked if it did)

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Cool to see Era still thinks it's cool to short shame men and continue to defend those who do.

The suicide rate is more than double with shorter men but lol manlets amiright? *highfive*

Last edited:

boogerbrain51

Nov 3, 2020
User Banned (2 weeks): justifying toxic masculinity
Bruh females get shitted on everyday in the gaming community I don't see the problem of cracking a joke on some men

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany

・She can't see a man who lives at home with parents in the same light as herself
・LGBT community is just a bunch of psychotic people with loud voices (meaning their metaphorical voices on issues)
・People who are depressed or working red light jobs would see their circumstances improve if they cast away their reliance on others.
・Depression and black people can be cured if they give up being naive. (I have heard people claiming that the black people kanji doesnt mean the race, but at this point wouldnt be shocked if it did)

That's some vile shit if true.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Ok initially I thought this was a shitpost since I've met Tanukana on multiple occasions at events.

Upon later reveals, I'm going to walk this one back. Yeesh.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
User Banned (2 weeks): trolling, justifying toxic masculinity
This will not stand.

Short Kings, RISE UP!!!

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017

If all that checks out and she's said these things...

holy shit she's vile

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
The reveal that she's an actual POS (racist, homophobic, etc) isn't surprising... but also is? Like, this is what gets her the boot? I'm sorry, but I just don't buy into the narrative that this was "the final straw". It seems like this is the only thing to strike a nerve and she should've been dropped long before. Pretty gross how her team seemingly excused everything else she said till now.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Yah sounds like some 4chan shitlord whose dumbass mindset/brain finally got them in some hot water. Hope your career is torpedoed, ya hateful fuck.

And that apology after all this other shit she's said too... fuckin oof. What a lame ass person.

Oct 28, 2017

So was this all said off stream or something? This is awful stuff.
Edit: nvm I see with the threadmark some has been on stream

JoelShmoe

Jun 12, 2020
Happy the mods acted accordingly to the "oh it's a joke posts" in here. The hypocrisy with these reactions knowing that if the shoe was on the other foot...that's the real joke here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Happy the mods acted accordingly to the "oh it's a joke posts" in here. The hypocrisy with these reactions knowing that if the shoe was on the other foot...that's the real joke here.

I'm not short, but I am disgusted by the behavior here. Saying they feel "emasculated" by being offended is the very definition of toxic masculinity. Are men not allowed to have insecurities or have their feelings hurt? True bullshit from this community, and it has the same attitudes towards men's mental health as any other brocentric forum

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
As a person that is 169cm, I am incredibly self-conscious of my short height (keep in mind I live in a country where the average height of a man is around 179-180cm), and while I wouldn't have dropped her for that statement, it does seem she has a history of saying a bunch of offensive things, which isn't cool regardless of gender.

Not saying women don't have things rough in a lot of places, they do, they 100% do, but this wasn't really funny either.

can't wait for people to call me an incel cucklord 4channer because I feel bad but don't really wanna say anything because it would be seen as whining.

Last edited:

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
I'm not short, but I am disgusted by the behavior here. Saying they feel "emasculated" by being offended is the very definition of toxic masculinity. Are men not allowed to have insecurities or have their feelings hurt? True bullshit from this community, and it has the same attitudes towards men's mental health as any other brocentric forum

Seriously, fuck all these assholes. Idk if it's a function of time or what, but the people on this forum are no better than other websites, it's just a different brand of garbage

Nov 28, 2017
Why did I think of Tanukana before coming into this thread? LMAO.

If you guys think shortshaming is the only thing she's done, I'd advice you to not watch her streams, like at all. Some abhorrent shit there. CAG has done the right thing by booting her.

Also, what's with the shortshaming in this thread, too? What gives you and me the right to shame people with their height? It's the same as fatshaming, and none of it should be practiced, even as a joke.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
It's shit "jokes" like this that make me seriously consider bone-lengthening surgery. Fucking hate my height.

Some cosmetic procedures may be worth it (Botox, hair implants, laser treatments) but others are not and bone lengthening should only be used if one of your legs is longer than the other. It's also probably something you have to do when you're relatively young. Healing powers go gradually away during your 30s. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.