• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
We've been remarkably lucky to not have to navigate some of the really extreme pressures that independent game companies find themselves under because a game doesn't quite pan out how they thought, or development goes a little bit longer, or the market changes," said Rao. "We still exist in that space, but we've been fortunate to have our chemistry and bond get us through. And to have worked on games that we love that have found an audience, which enables us to sustain ourselves. We said our games, the concepts, are a reaction to the previous game, but they also are just funded by the previous game."

The glue that holds the company together, Kasavin thinks, is the collection of personalities on the team and Supergiant's ability to retain them. That's the real secret sauce between the buns of Supergiant's sustained success. Whether due to burnout, layoffs, or other equally pernicious factors, many video game studios have high turnover rates. Supergiant does not. Ten years later, all seven people from the company's Bastion days are still there, alongside ten others that have been hired during other projects. Kasavin chalks that up to a conscious focus on health and personal growth.
The studio has made changes over time to ensure that everybody takes care of themselves. For example, Supergiant began as a company with unlimited time off. But, Rao explained, this created an "invisible pressure" to never stop working, because developers always had endless vacation time in their back pockets. These days, Supergiant still offers unlimited time off, but employees are required to take at least 20 days off per year. "This is us saving us from ourselves," Rao said. "That changes our psychology to 'How do I spend this minimum? Where do I put it? Am I doing a summer break, or am I doing every Friday for a little while?'"

Rao repeatedly emphasized that, when it comes to company culture, little things add up. As another example, he pointed to Supergiant's approach to emails on the weekend—namely, that there shouldn't be any after 5 PM on Friday, even if somebody's really excited about a new feature or idea, because that risks roping other people into work on the weekend. "It doesn't mean someone can't get really excited about something and do something if they want to," said Rao. "It means the company is not going to ask you to, and you shouldn't accidentally pull more people into a process that they didn't necessarily intend to do."
Even in these moments, however, team members try to temper each others' more self-destructive impulses. "Not everyone hollers if they're overburdened by work," said Kasavin. "We try to look out for each other and say, 'Hey, is this too much? Can we alleviate some of the burden here?' Sometimes it's not even a question, right? It's like, 'No, you're doing too much.'"

It's been a learning process, Rao and Kasavin agreed—one that's resulted in a place where people can come into work whenever they want and make time to have friends and families outside it. It might not work for a more literally super-giant 5,000-person company, said Kasavin, but it works for Supergiant.

"It works because it's a bunch of individuals, so it doesn't have to scale," Kasavin said. "We talk about how our games are very much built around the idiosyncrasies of the people on the team. Music is a central point because of Darren, voiceover is there because of Logan [Cunningham], and so on. Instead of trying to force everyone into the same work pattern, it's recognizing that creative people—different stuff makes them tick. The way that Darren does his best work is different from how I might do my best work. Rather than just force us to meet in the middle, just let Darren do his thing because he's a genius. Let me do my thing because I happen to grind it out late at night sometimes as a writer. You know, I wish I could do my best work within the space of 9 to 5, but unfortunately it doesn't always happen that way."
kotaku.com

The Secret To The Success Of Bastion, Pyre, And Hades: No Forced Crunch, Yes Forced Vacations

It’s been ten years since Supergiant Games opened its doors. The team put all of their hopes into the studio’s debut game, Bastion, an action-RPG with a narrator. It succeeded with flying colors. Since then, the studio has released Transistor, Pyre, and Hades, every single one receiving critical...

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Crazy as someone in Scotland that 20 days PTO is seen as this insane thing when all jobs default to 25 minimum here. Either way Supergiant made the best game of the year and did it under an incredible working condition. Brilliant.

Oct 27, 2017
Unlimited PTO + enforced minimum sounds like a good way of getting over the "issues" with unlimited PTO

Crazy as someone in Scotland that 20 days PTO is seen as this insane thing when all jobs default to 25 minimum here. Either way Supergiant made the best game of the year and did it under an incredible working condition. Brilliant.
Well it's an enforced minimum...on average it's higher

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Wrote this as a reply to Jason's tweet, but I'll post it here too:

Absolutely sad that there is a need to glorify this in the US, seeing as this is basic work protection and plain legal rights in the majority of European countries. But good on them either way!

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Wrote this as a reply to Jason's tweet, but I'll post it here too:

Absolutely sad that there is a need to glorify this in the US, seeing as this is basic work protection and plain legal rights in the majority of European countries. But good on them either way!

The tone of this interview doesn't quite strike me as glorifying their work conditions, although some people and outlets will probably do so with an agenda.

It sounds more like a group of people trusting each other and doing what works for them, however it looks, because they have the rapport built over 10 years of sticking together and making games. They attribute that factor to their success rather than arbitrary PTO guidelines, which serve more as a incentivizing boundary than a punitive rule.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
My job has forced PTO. 10/10, would recommend. All developers deserve this rather than being forced into crunch.

EDIT: Just realized this article is a year old. This, this is a good read.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Even if I didn't click with their games until Hades, there's no denying their games are fantastically top to bottom. Other companies should be taking notes on these aspects of their work culture

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I love to see success stories like this where employees are actually treated well. It's a rare sight in this industry.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
very talented studio. really good to see a studio of this size manage to be so successful and deliver great games while remaining independent.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They're truly one of a kind. Large for an indie but tiny for a traditional company, each game is standalone, consistently releasing a new game every 3 years or so, consistently high review scores & amazing sales.

Oct 27, 2017
Greg Kasavin was my favorite video game reviewer and I was so sad when he left gamespot to join the game dev side but I am so happy at the amount of success he's had with Supergiant.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Deserves GOTY. Also shows that great games don't have to come at the expense of dev wellbeing. Enforced PTO is a great way to overcome the "don't want to be the only one taking optional leave" problem.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
And to think this small crew managed to release one of the best games of the gen in Hades. Incredible work.

Hades feels almost AAA in its level of polish and production values and amount of content. It's a damn near perfect title, and I encourage everyone who will listen to try it.

Really love the idea of required PTO. Even in a non-unlimited world (I get 20 days a year), there's this stupid pressure to waste them, or when you do take more than a day or two people ask "wow, what exciting things do you have going on?!" but on the flip side, take a day or two only and people jab, "oh, you can't just work around your personal life?"

Stupid.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
In any industry staying with a company for 5 years is the average. To stay together for a decade+ is a testament to how well they've figured out how to manage themselves. I have some differences of opinion on how work should be prioritized but I can understand the decisions they mentioned and it has worked out well for them.