• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty crappy. Timed exclusivity sucks.

Google: if your service actually provided value people would use it.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
it's just another service
It's cool, you can still play it on your TV.
Have fun with "just another launcher", console players.
oh_well.gif

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what took them so long to start doing this?

This has pretty much been the basic industry practice for the last 15+ years, and probably longer.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Have fun with "just another launcher", console players.

I've seen a few of these comments and they're pretty dumb. Not really comparable to the Epic vs. Steam situation but clearly some of you are still hurting and are looking for a 'gotcha' moment.

OT: Interesting move. The fact that it's still launching on 'PC' (I assume Steam) means that DD likely doesn't see the lack of current gen system SKUs for the first year to be that impactful on their targets/bottom line. These decisions aren't made on a whim, after all.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I think it's good that Google is lining up exclusives, but Serious Sam is probably not a game that highlights the strengths of the platform. Unless it's going big on coop, or huge streaming worlds, or interesting multi-interface mechanics, I don't see the tactical value of Serious Sam as a tentpole game for Stadia.

This was probably a convenience thing since Croteam is one of the most proactive Linux supporters in the industry.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Third party console exclusives already exist though.

Don't think that was the person's point, as demonstrated by some of the different arguments shown here vs an EGS exclusive, when functionally it's a similar issue.

Well this is a disappointing way of learning that Serious Sam 4 exists

Also yeah. Same for any of this exclusive stuff, as it is usually a signal not to investigate further if you know you can't get it anytime soon,

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Thats not the same. Epic game store is not any different when it comes to playing the games then Steam store. Stadia is different from PS4/Xbox. Not everyone can stream.. some have slow internet or spotty internet. Its not the same.
Did Epic add in the ability to remap any arbitrary controller to play any game through their platform?

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That's a pretty loaded title by Kotaku.

Where was the "Sony Exclusivity will keep Final Fantasy VII Remake off Xbox and PC until 2021" article, or did I miss that?

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Great for the devs, get that bread.

You can just play it on your smartphone, what's the big deal, do you not have phones?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This all but ensures it will bomb. Bummer.

Serious Sam was never gonna shift tons of copies and become a huge success on PS4 and Xbox. It's a PC franchise and it'll sell plenty on PC. Guarantee it would've limped along on console and Digital Devolver probably took this as a calculated decision that probably didn't take much calculation.

May 18, 2018
Devolver Digital really be out here shopping their games to the highest bidder.

Anyway, we really need to go back to when exclusive meant "to one particular thing" instead of the "everything but this" it is now.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see Stadia bringing the heat and driving up the Competition(tm). Can we start attributing Microsoft's and Sony's next moves to Google already?

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Although I'll be buying on Steam, I do hope Croteam got enough $$$ from Google to offset any losses they would've had launching on PS4/XB1. Console gamers have been hungry for different FPS experiences. I would've dipped on one of the consoles to play with friends also if it was an option.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Don't think that was the person's point, as demonstrated by some of the different arguments shown here vs an EGS exclusive, when functionally it's a similar issue.

There's far more PC peeps in here trying to turn this into a gotcha moment over EGS stuff when It's not really an apt comparison though. Like one of the common things said when EGS started was that Epic was bringing "Console-style exclusivity" to the PC space. For consoles this is nothing new, FFVIIR just released what, last month?

If someone on Xbox wants to play FFVII-R they have to either subscribe to PSNow (if it's available on there) or buy a whole PS4. For Stadia they'd have to sub to Stadia Pro to play this (I think?). For EGS they have to use a storefront with less features - but the price to access the store is still 0. I think that's really what people are getting at when they say shit like "it's just another launcher" - location stuff aside.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Fine by me. I enjoy the Serious Sam games but it isn't a top-tier must-play franchise or anything.

Besides, Doom has pretty much aped its style of balls-to-the-wall 60 FPS...FPS and made it much more satisfying.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Kinda hilarious to see Stadia wading into the console exclusivity battles, and yet letting a Steam release go ahead. The overwhelming majority of purchases was going to be on Steam anyway, so it's wild seeing Stadia miss this extremely obvious trick in favour of burning money in the most pointless moneyhat I've seen in a while.

I have no doubt they tried to buy full exclusivity, but DD didn't feel the offer was high enough and negotiated a console only compromise.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Awesome for the 5 people that give a fuck about stadia
Not that Serious Sam is a franchise that people on consoles really care about in the first place. It's still on steam so I expect 95% of sales to be there.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I've seen a few of these comments and they're pretty dumb. Not really comparable to the Epic vs. Steam situation but clearly some of you are still hurting and are looking for a 'gotcha' moment.

OT: Interesting move. The fact that it's still launching on 'PC' (I assume Steam) means that DD likely doesn't see the lack of current gen system SKUs for the first year to be that impactful on their targets/bottom line. These decisions aren't made on a whim, after all.

It's literally a same shtick.

Google is paying for a one year time-exclusivity and offers bags of money in order to make a game unavailable on certain platforms (PS4, Xbox).

Epic is paying for a one year time-exclusivity and offers bags of money in order to make a game unavailable on certain platforms (Steam, GOG, etc.).

Do you see a certain pattern here? Or you just want to call people dumb because you can't get the irony of this situation.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Serious Sam was never gonna shift tons of copies and become a huge success on PS4 and Xbox. It's a PC franchise and it'll sell plenty on PC. Guarantee it would've limped along on console and Digital Devolver probably took this as a calculated decision that probably didn't take much calculation.

Why would they spend money on console releases in the first place then? And why would Google pay for exclusivity to prevent the game from going to platforms which aren't interested in the game?

Surely each saw an opportunity to make money.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Although I'll be buying on Steam, I do hope Croteam got enough $$$ from Google to offset any losses they would've had launching on PS4/XB1. Console gamers have been hungry for different FPS experiences. I would've dipped on one of the consoles to play with friends also if it was an option.

Our thread here about it being announced for PS4 and Xbox got all of 19 replies.

I'm sure they'll be fine.

malcolmx

Banned
May 20, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Advocating piracy
Digital Devolver is a joke now. I think it best ppl buy this game only once it gets real cheap. Don't encourage this and hopefully it gets cracked on pc.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds odd when you read the title but has Croteam ever said the console versions would even be coming out at the same time as the PC version? I know they said it would be on PS4/Xbox but I don't think they ever said they would be coming at the same time. Going by their past output they are mainly PC only with console versions coming close to a year later.

Serious Sam 3 BFE: Windows - 22 Nov 2011, Xbox 360 - 17 Oct 2012, PS3 - 13 May 2014.
The Talos Principle: Windows - 11 Dec 2014, PS4 - 13 Oct 2015, Xbox One - 31 Aug 2018

Being on Stadia is weird but this seems to be in-line with how they've released games in the past except this time it's coming to Stadia alongside PC. Their main releases have always come almost a year later on console.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing they aren't that big of a team and more than likely Google wants something over consoles and Google realizes that it's basically just the PC version on their platform, I'm sure it was an easy yes for Croteam. Seriously, this is Google throwing you money. I know it sucks for console players, but if I was Croteam, I'd say yes to it too, because you'd have to think that keeping it a timed exclusive means more money was put into it. If Croteam was smart, the check they got from Google would cover at least 6+ months worth of sales that would of been gotten from console versions.

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm assuming if it was PC only like most of the previous games in the series it would have been a minor annoyance, but PC+Stadia is an affront to humanity. Is that where we are now in terms of the community position on Stadia?

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
If no one wants to use your service out of their own volition, I don't think this will help in the long run.

I doubt many people will "convert" over temporary exclusives.