• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Serious Sam 4 is coming to PC and Stadia in August 2020. Yes, you read that right… Stadia. While previous previews of the game indicated it would also appear on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, Google's cloud gaming service will get Serious Sam 4 long before any traditional consoles.

"The game is still coming to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 after its period of exclusivity is over with Stadia," a rep for publisher Devolver Digital told Kotaku over email, adding that those consoles won't receive Serious Sam 4 until 2021 after further inquiry.

kotaku.com

Stadia Exclusivity Will Keep Serious Sam 4 Off PS4 And Xbox Until 2021

Serious Sam 4 is coming to PC and Stadia in August 2020. Yes, you read that right… Stadia. While previous previews of the game indicated it would also appear on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, Google’s cloud gaming service will get Serious Sam 4 long before any traditional consoles.

This is really sh*tty move for end of the generation.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Unless the PS5 and Series X have a really weak start, what's even the point of launching on PS4 and Xbox One in 2021?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
As someone who is almost exclusively a PC Gamer, this is a really fucking shitty move. Fuck exclusivity.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Serious Sam on Stadia was a terrible experience. Fuck off, Google.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hasn't every game in the series come to PC first? If anything it being on Stadia provides more options to play Croteam's games than ever.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
But I'm sure those defending EGS practices will chime in and say that this is good for the developer since they are getting paid by Google extra money and folks can easily play it on Stadia cuz Google is giving out Stadia Pro for free as of recent.

Right????

Deleted member 34714

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
If they're doing this for Serious Sam, expect more exclusive titles. It's unfortunately how the game is played for new services or new players in the industry.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I can kind of see the business sense in taking the money from google now instead of launching a AA game to platforms that aren't kind to a game of that scope at the end of a gen, sales wise. They then can launch for next gen with less competition.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Google had to pay a decent amount to offset PS4/Xbox considering they will sell like 30k lifetime copies on Stadia.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It won't bomb, SS is PC franchise and sells a lot on PC. This is just sh*tty move to do at the end of generation.

I agree it'll do well on PC - I meant it will bomb on console. I can't see many people who have entered next gen spending their money on a previous gen title that was never huge on consoles to begin with.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see: supply of the new consoles is gonna be somewhat limited due to Covid-19, they're gonna be expensive, huge existing install bases on PS4/X1X...
Also both PS5 and Series X will have much more fluid back compat strategies next gen. It won't be like previous gens where there's a distinct line. Customers won't have to worry about playing Xbone games on Series X

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Stadia?!

floEANf.gif

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda hilarious to see Stadia wading into the console exclusivity battles, and yet letting a Steam release go ahead. The overwhelming majority of purchases was going to be on Steam anyway, so it's wild seeing Stadia miss this extremely obvious trick in favour of burning money in the most pointless moneyhat I've seen in a while.

May 17, 2018
I can kind of see the business sense in taking the money from google now instead of launching a AA game to platforms that aren't kind to a game of that scope at the end of a gen, sales wise. They then can launch for next gen with less competition.

"The game is still coming to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 after its period of exclusivity is over with Stadia"

Unless you're saying they cancel those versions and go next gen only?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That seems like a horrible business move. Who the hell's going to care about Serious Sam 4 coming to PS4 and Xbox One in 2021 when everyone is already playing next-gen games on their PS5's and Series X's? Google better have paid them a shit-ton of money for this deal.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's just stupid. Maybe make new games instead of taking it away from others?

This all but ensures it will bomb. Bummer.

Nah, Serious Sam has always sold the most on PC. It's probably why it's still coming to PC in the first place, Croteam knew better than to take away that audience. Google would have made it full Stadia exclusive if they could.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Wait wait wait

So like PC (steam or whatever) AND STADIA ?

Or just ...Stadia through PC ?

Idk why this is confusing me

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For people in places with access to Stadia it's technically just another joystick though, right? (Stadia isn't available here so forgive me if my vision of the situation is incorrect)

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
+2 Passive hostility to Stadia, even as a subscriber.

For all the ways it does work, it's such a secondary platform that this feels worse than traditional timed exclusive trade-offs in the console space. Though to be fair, console releases for these games haven't been "central" to each release, as far as I'm concerned.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What's the problem here? PlayStation, Xbox & Nintendo do this all of the time. Take your personal bias out of this.

Last edited:

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Serious Sam 4's been in development for so long that I wonder if Google's outright helping fund it at this point. Seems like about the right kind of indie B-tier franchise they're interested in backing.

Hasn't every game in the series come to PC first? If anything it being on Stadia provides more options to play Croteam's games than ever.
Yeah, aside from Sam 2 back in 2005, console ports have always happened after the fact once they've got the programmer time available to do it.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Weren't people saying that Stadia needed more games and exclusives titles for it to be attractive? Here you go.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
But I'm sure those defending EGS practices will chime in and say that this is good for the developer since they are getting paid by Google extra money and folks can easily play it on Stadia cuz Google is giving out Stadia Pro for free as of recent.

Right????
As far as I can tell, Serious Sam 4 will still be available for purchase on a wide variety of PC storefronts on release.