• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Cliff Notes from the tweet:

New IP 1: Pioneer
Was a peaceful sci-fi game, was cancelled and turned into a co-op shooter EDIT: Schreier says nah
On the Rainbow Six engine
Revealed at E3

New IP 2: Orpheus
Action-adventure game
Similar to BOTW

Highly recommend listening to the podcast, it's real good stuff and they go into a bit more detail

Highly do not recommend following Nibel on Twitter, he is a demon spawned from hell to torment me

Edit:

Broken telephone up in here. I didn't say Pioneer was a new IP, I said it was on the Rainbow Six engine and probably was part of that series now. I wrote about this a few months ago: https://kotaku.com/the-real-story-behind-pioneer-the-troubled-sci-fi-game-1832137013

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pioneer looked like one of the most unique triple-A games out there. It turning into a co-op shooter is a slight disappointment, as much as I love shooters. We'll see how it goes but that's such a weird repurposing.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
"Was a peaceful sci-fi game, was cancelled and turned into a co-op shooter"

Sums up game development tbh

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Interested about that Orpheus game. I didn't like BoTW so much but I do enjoy Ubisoft games so will be nice to see if I enjoy their version more.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
Jason on WDL/Rollerball "they almost made it without a leak"
Also Jason: "let me tell you about everything I know"

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Orpheus sounds interesting. Especially if they somehow err more towards the RPG side of things.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
BOTW like game will always have my attention at the outset at least.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
tumblr_nf1gq3zAwW1qg8oodo1_1280.png

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did we ever see anything of it?

Not a whole lot, actually, but the concept of a completely peaceful space game with fairly abstract visuals is not something you see everyday from a major publisher. It could have been a turd, of course, but it was an intriguing project. It becoming co-op shooter #999999 is, on paper, a lot less interesting, though of course it's entirely possible they have the next hit phenomenon on their hands. Overwatch was also supposed to be an MMO, then quickly repurposed into an FPS, which then became a global phenomenon so... who knows?

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Jason is completely wrong about Pioneer.

It's not a new IP. It's not even based on what the old project was at all.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Just listened to the podcast. I hear Orpheus and BotW. No matter how hard I try, my mind just says it's another Ubi open world game.

Last edited:

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Interested in Orpheus. Hope it offers the same kind of freedom like BotW.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Ubisoft has been really elevating their open-world stuff since quite some time (Odyssey and FC5 was some of the most fun i had in years). They're really excelling as THE big one among the 3rds right now. I can't wait to see their take on some BotW-esque Action-Adventure, so i will look forward to whatever Orpheus is.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Respect to Ubi for bringing new IPs.

Please . . . don't be a driving game (they can't do vehicle handling for shit) and don't be a shooter (fucking enough of those.)

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Jason is completely wrong about Pioneer.

It's not a new IP. It's not even based on what the old project was at all.

Considering Ubisoft sent me a poll asking whether or not I would be interested in Rainbow Six co-op only (also asked if I liked the alien mode, wanted a post-apocalyptic setting, more aliens, or robots, or humans as enemies, etc etc etc), I'm not surprised.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I don't always like Ubi games.

But I have a ton of respect for them for always bringing at least 1 new IP entertainment to every E3.

New action/adventure is always exciting. Hopefully there's loads of environmental puzzles and we finally bring back to wall-running from Prince of Persia.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
That would mean Yves was misleading us on purpose when he said there would be two new things. We know about Watch_Dogs Legion and the rollerblading game, the latter is a new IP, the former isn't

Interesting!

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering Ubisoft sent me a poll asking whether or not I would be interested in Rainbow Six co-op only (also asked if I liked the alien mode, wanted a post-apocalyptic setting, more aliens, or robots, or humans as enemies, etc etc etc), I'm not surprised.

It always seemed odd to just throw such a fairly polished zombie mode in the game only for it to last like what, 2 weeks? Makes way too much sense for it to be an appetizer, see if people are interested in this sort of thing. Left 4 Dead is left for dead (heh), Evolve imploded spectacularly, there's COD Zombies but those are relatively low on content as it's just 1/3rd of the whole package, the existing co-op shooters in that style are mainly relatively smaller productions (Zombie Army Trilogy, Strange Brigade, etc.), so there's definitely room for a polished triple-A rendition of the concept.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I recommend y'all listen to the pod to hear what I actually said, plus some insight on Ubisoft's development practices, Splinter Cell, and lots of other good E3 buzz/predictions/rumors. Kotaku Splitscreen, your home for weather updates and video game scoops: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/kotaku-splitscreen/id1039413502?mt=2

I'm listening on Google Podcasts so i don't have to deal with Apple's silly limitations

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I guess Orpheus is the natural spin off of AC Odyssey. It's clear that studio doesn't really want to make an AC. And that's for the better.