• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku just posted this on their podcast feed. Podcast at Link. Podcast is 52 minutes long. (interview is about 21 min long)

https://kotaku.com/google-stadia-boss-answers-and-dodges-our-questions-1833422137

This afternoon at GDC 2019, Google Stadia boss Phil Harrison announced the tech company's plans to launch a game streaming service that will stream high-end games in a Chrome browser. But how good, exactly, does your internet have to be in order for Stadia to work? And do you need one of Google's new Stadia controllers? Jason and I sat down with Phil for an interview on Kotaku Splitscreen where he answered some of our questions and dodged a few others.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Oh no. Agent Phil reporting for duty. Love this guy when he is allowed to take risks.

Edit: BronsonLee :

"To get 1080p, 60 frames per second, required approximately 25 megabits per second. In fact, we use less than that, but that's where we put our recommended limit at. But with innovations that we've made on the streamer side and on the compression side since then, when we launch, we will be able to get to 4K but only raise that bandwidth to about 30 megabits per second."

So that's 11.2GB/hr for 2K and 13.5GB/hr for 4K. Now what?

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Not that bad!

• What internet speed do you need to run Stadia?
"We were able to test a lot of this with our Project Stream test late last year, starting back in October. To get 1080p, 60 frames per second, required approximately 25 megabits per second. In fact, we use less than that, but that's where we put our recommended limit at. But with innovations that we've made on the streamer side and on the compression side since then, when we launch, we will be able to get to 4K but only raise that bandwidth to about 30 megabits per second. So if you have less bandwidth, we'll give you a lower resolution… We do a lot of that for you in the background, and we will only offer up the appropriate bandwidth for the infrastructure that you have."​

Also:
  • What hardware do you need to get Stadia on your TV?
"Chromecast is the way that you reach TV at launch." And, by the way, an Xbox controller won't do the trick: "In order to reach our Chromecast, you need the Stadia controller." You can use whatever USB controller you want on PC, though.​

So that's 11.2GB/hr for 2K and 13.5GB/hr for 4K. Now what?

Yeah... this will definitely not work with any kind of data cap though...

Last edited:

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I could play something from ubisoft for approximately 5 hours, once a month.

To be honest that still seems quite a lot, so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
That's too much data an hour for this whole project to be feasible and mass adopted.

As I said, Sony and Microsoft have nothing to worry about.

Consoles are here to stay. Game streaming will only be utilized as a game enhancer, as opposed to a hardware replacer.

Game streaming won't become the norm until they can get those insane data requirements down several notches.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
onsoles are here to stay. Game streaming will only be utilized as a game enhancer, as opposed to a hardware replacer.

console is here to stay because of the fact that there's a bazillion people living in less location with less than ideal internet connections and latency, not to mention professions like sailors and navy personnels that played games during their downtime.

unless the world's internet can be consolidated (though even US can't sort out their internet), a box that run games natively will always be needed.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's too much data an hour for this whole project to be feasible and mass adopted.

As I said, Sony and Microsoft have nothing to worry about.

Consoles are here to stay. Game streaming will only be utilized as a game enhancer, as opposed to a hardware replacer.

Game streaming won't become the norm until they can get those insane data requirements down several notches.
Well, if we don't keep trying we'll never get there.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Great interview, 25 mbps would be fantastic for me.

I was worried cause my connection should be up to 100 mbps (no data cap) but it never reaches it.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do they talk about bitrate at all? It's one thing to crow about compression algorithms and internet speed but I have a hard time when they don't talk about bitrate. Netflix's bitrate for 4K movies is less than 1080p Blu-rays last I checked.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Won't confirm or deny whether at E3 2019 = Google will be at E3 2019
Google seems to kind of have their heads up their butt on this. I wouldn't be surprised if they did their own thing at an event somewhere completely removed a week or two before it after and completely miss a chance to speak directly to the people they need to be speaking to and allow them a chance to try it for themselves.... It just seems like a mistake I could totally see them doing.