• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximus2560

Banned
Sep 28, 2020
Honestly in my circle not one person wants the S or plans to buy one. And what I seen online there's not that much hype for the S. Soooooo I can't really agree with Phil here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm split on this.

On the one hand, I think that if your casual consumer was informed about both units and their differences, there would likely be no shortage of casual gamers picking up a Series S over a Series X. On the other hand, the marketing for these consoles so far has showcased the Series X far more than the Series S and I imagine that for most people who don't have any interest in going out of their way and researching these products on their own, they'll likely see the Series X and think "oh, that's the new Xbox" and just go for that.

If Microsoft can figure out a way to offer easily understood marketing for the Series S and they advertise it as prominently as the Series X, I think there's a good chance that it'll be a smash hit for the casual crowd.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder.

On paper, it makes perfect sense. Most people will be looking to save a buck. But on the other hand, I think the constant headlines for the first year or two of the system's lifespan talking about how much worse games run on it, it's possible the Series X ends up selling more through osmosis. I don't think it's the most likely scenario by any measure, but the other thing that makes me think it's possible is that if you don't care about having a top of the line experience, why would you not get a One S, which will continue to run the giant majority of Xbox games for the next two years, and likely will allow playing next-gen games via XCloud following that?

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
Series S should have been $249. Judging how fast XBox One systems had price drops I'm betting it will be in about 6 months.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because the Series S will last the entire generation, and the X will likely be replaced by some new high-end model.

Similar to how the iPhone XR has been a steadfast bestseller for Apple, while the expensive models come and go within the span of a year.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I would like to ask phil at what point he expects S to start outselling X. Put a real time on it.

Because to have any validity it probably has to be within ~3 yrs, given a 7 year console cycle.

Clock is ticking.

once x gets a single price cut to 399, then the case for s starts getting really brutal. since it already starts at 299, it's going to be like blood from a turnip trying to cut that price. i cant see less than 249 anytime within 3 years. and then we have reports ms loses more on the S currently.

the 512 GB alone makes it a non starter, They HAVE to fix that to 1TB if they expect any traction, for starters. But that will cost. Probably not much TBH.

i just hate that XSS cost us a xsx de we should have right now.

The danger with XSS is how far is MS going to go putting lipstick on it? We already dont have (probably $399) XSX DE in order to protect XSS, because XSS can't stand on it's own. Will they refuse to cut the XSX price for a long time to protect XSS?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Series S will probably hit $199 or something crazy next holiday

It's close enough to the Series X at that price and will probably get upgrades throughout the generation without raising the price, seems like a no brainer.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Yeah I'm not surprised about this at all. We're at the point of diminishing returns on consoles. If a system is 1440p but runs as well as a 4k game on a 4 or 5 year old TV that may or may not be 4k, doesn't support HDR, isn't a 120hz panel etc. What value does spending almost twice the price give you?

The Series S is a compelling device for anyone who isn't a technophile. Your average gamer cares about the annual COD, Madden, FIFA and Fortnite, does the Series X blow those experiences out of the park? Nope. Do you still get access to every game through gamepass? Yep.

Microsoft were very smart this gen IMO. They may not take a piece of the pie from Sony but they'll end up sharing it. Last gen I think the decision was easier initially, launch was terrible for MS and they lost a lot of 360 devotees. This gen, they may not convince people to give up Playstation but they've created a market where people will buy a playstation then say "the Series S is cheap and gamepass is compelling, I'll get that as well".

For casual gamers or parents the ability to say here is a cheap console for a low monthly fee over two years with unlimited games will sway a lot of people. The series X requires far more financial consideration. I'm getting a PS5 and a Series S, Series X I couldn't care less about because I'm less invested in Microsoft IP but at the price point it's kind of throwaway money.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I'm getting one at launch, and a PS5. I get a lot out of Gamepass, my kid prefers Xbox, and it sets me up to be able to play a number of future exclusives when they arrive.

I would not be getting a Series X and a PS5, at least not both at launch. I'd wait several years for the X to drop in price significantly.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He'd have a point if the Series S had a disk drive. As it is it'll just be another Xbone SAD but not as embarrassing of a flop.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Not available at Target, Best Buy, Walmart, GameStop or Amazon. What do you mean by "most retailers"?

I believe it was a Europe thing. XSS was available for preorder for DAYS on end at Amazon UK I know for a fact because I kept checking. Despite reports of it being 20% of launch shipments. And pretty much everything video games hardware related selling out easily in covid time.

Softer demand will show up first at the edges. Xbox demand is less in Europe, so we saw what will happen in the USA first there. 1000% guarantee the S will be the SKU first readily available in January when demand slows in the USA. Despite still probably being only 20% of shipments.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't the cheapest console typically sell the most units? Not that big of a leap. Most people will be quite pleased with the S. It's a perfect next gen device for those who have yet to move to 4K, and even for those that have it's still gonna be a great little machine for some time. Nothing like the OG Xbox One.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not happening. It's going to make even less sense once Switch 4K hits and the PS5 drops in price a couple of years from now.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
He'd have a point if the Series S had a disk drive. As it is it'll just be another Xbone SAD but not as embarrassing of a flop.
Does your netflix box have a disk drive?

The Series S is a gamepass subscription box with the occasional on demand purchase. Xbox One only sold 6 games per console, I think people put too much faith in how much console owners actually buy. The big question will be whether many people maintain a subscription beyond 2 years, which is when those profits really start outweighing historical game software models.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
This makes a ton of sense. As long as it has the same games as the Series X/PS5, it'll be an easy sell for the majority of consumers.

I plan to get a Series X, but I feel like I'll only benefit from the S being the "more popular" system. It should mean that first party devs in particular can really crank things up to 11 on the X.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
No shit. It'll be the first next-gen console to hit $200 and $150, and it'll do it way earlier in the gen than past consoles (except 360 Core/Arcade, maybe). It will fly off shelves.

I can't remember the last time a Sony or Microsoft home console actually dropped to a MSRP of $150. I know the Xbox One S was sold for that price on sale, but never a permanent price drop. Did the Xbox 360 ever officially have a $150 version? Hmm. Just looked it up. Looks like the Xbox 360 Arcade dropped to $150 in 2010 when they were clearing out stock. I feel like $199 has been the cheapest Sony & Microsoft have been willing to go.

Note: Nintendo did drop the Wii to $150 in 2011. Down to $130 in 2012. And then sold the Wii mini for $99 in 2013.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it was a Europe thing. XSS was available for preorder for DAYS on end at Amazon UK I know for a fact because I kept checking. Despite reports of it being 20% of launch shipments. And pretty much everything video games hardware related selling out easily in covid time.

And it's still available for preorder right this moment on Amazon DE as well as otheer major retailers for 290,99 Euros.

Granted, this might be in part due to the general situation for Xbox here (i.e. way, WAY behind in popularity), but I'd still have expected it to sell out eventually before now.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I think there's definitely a market for it.

I agree with Phil here that it could appeal to some as a secondary console too, especially later on when they have a bunch of next gen Xbox games on Game Pass from their new studios:

I'm up for it. if the machine matches the x feature for feature but at 2.5k, it sounds great.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would buy an S if it had more Velocity storage in the box. As it is, I wanted more so I'm going for an X, I figured S + Expansion Card > X financially and I think I can live with the storage on the X for a while, but couldn't on the S, plus better performance/graphics is nicely future-proofed.

If they had a 1TB S at £300 or an all-digital X at £400 I've have bought both of those over the X.

The above discussions just do not exist for the average consumer, and so for that reason the S will sell way more in a scenario where they are both sitting on a shelf at RRP.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I can't remember the last time a Sony or Microsoft home console actually dropped to a MSRP of $150. I know the Xbox One S was sold for that price on sale, but never a permanent price drop. Did the Xbox 360 ever officially have a $150 version? Hmm. Just looked it up. Looks like the Xbox 360 Arcade dropped to $150 in 2010 when they were clearing out stock. I feel like $199 has been the cheapest Sony & Microsoft have been willing to go.

Note: Nintendo did drop the Wii to $150 in 2011. Down to $130 in 2012. And then sold the Wii mini for $99 in 2013.
Difference being that those systems weren't there to sell recurring revenue. If gamepass proves to be viable, it wouldn't surprise me if MS sells these things at a $50 loss throughout the entire gen if it means they'll recover that revenue in a year.

With that said, I just can't see people willingly subscribing to gamepass for 5 or 6 years. Consoles are not like TV watching, they sit dormant regularly in your average home.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I think it will overall outsell the X because of the price, but I also don't think it's going to be some massive sales monster some people think it will be. We shall see though.

Jul 25, 2020
Of course it will but they have been all about Series X. Be it's clever how Microsoft have created a bit of confusion with consumers.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking to a buddy who's never made the jump to the current gen (just has a 360 he never really plays, super casual gamer) and I was telling him I'd give him my One X for a hundred bucks. His response was "I heard the new Xbox is only like $300, I'm thinking about getting that." This is obviously not the console of choice for die-hard gamers (although we might be surprised how many it does end up being the case for), but for those more casual or tertiary gamers who would just want to be able to play Fortnite, Sea of Thieves, Madden, Rocket League with their friends, XSS is gonna clean up.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand, the marketing for these consoles so far has showcased the Series X far more than the Series S and I imagine that for most people who don't have any interest in going out of their way and researching these products on their own, they'll likely see the Series X and think "oh, that's the new Xbox" and just go for that.
So far it's been that way because it's mostly the enthusiasts who buy a console at launch, which is exactly what he says. It makes sense to push the "enthusiast console" during this time.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Personally, I'm more interested in XSS than XSX.

Tbh, it has everything to do with money ( can't afford both ), as the PS5 will be my main console and will buy the XSS for Gamepass

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I would have invited people to make bets on this, but we will never know the sales figures.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Of course

Early adopters are enthusiasts. Over time as the S distinguishes itself as a solid next Gen performer it will most likely be the number one seller for them with the masses

genericbrand

Oct 28, 2017
If it eventually goes to sub $200 it goes towards premium Android TV boxes like Nvidia Shield. Go lower and it's closing in on Roku type devices. When I wanted a blu-ray player I bought a PS4 so I could premium games occasionally. I can imagine Series S becoming future default for set top streaming box over Roku if it get's cheap enough years out for me. Probably still buy parents Roku. They're used to those. I've already considered Nvidia Shield numerous times. If Series S and Shield ever intersect in price I wouldn't buy a Shield

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm split on this.

On the one hand, I think that if your casual consumer was informed about both units and their differences, there would likely be no shortage of casual gamers picking up a Series S over a Series X. On the other hand, the marketing for these consoles so far has showcased the Series X far more than the Series S and I imagine that for most people who don't have any interest in going out of their way and researching these products on their own, they'll likely see the Series X and think "oh, that's the new Xbox" and just go for that.

If Microsoft can figure out a way to offer easily understood marketing for the Series S and they advertise it as prominently as the Series X, I think there's a good chance that it'll be a smash hit for the casual crowd.
Agree.

At the same time...its this weird duality in the forums....

Some say power is why the XBO didn't sell well.

Now that MS have the most powerful console out the gate....the cheaper, weaker one is gonna sell like hotcakes.

It makes you wonder where some users really stand on all this.

Once again, like some of us have been saying, price is king. Price outweighs power.

I think we're gonna get a close up look at that this upcoming gen.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Series S in Walmart packaged with an exclusive Elder Scrolls for $299 will probably shift a couple units I'd think

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see if the no disc drive effects it's sales. I think the general consumer will have a harder time giving up used games than some would think, especially with $70 titles

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
He's absolutely right. By the end of generation more of the units sold will be Series S than X (assuming there aren't more SKUs).

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I kind of doubt it will right now. Yes the price is super compelling but I am not sure if the marketing is quite on point with it (perhaps it will ramp up). Even all the pre-release reviews are focussed on the X, there has been nothing on the S.

I have a 4K TV so it was an instant skip, I don't want to get a year in and wish I had gone with the more powerful of the two. I also have concerns about the storage available and when it comes down to it the S plus a storage card is more than the X.

It is undeniably interesting that it is also the one console that still has some degree of availability here in the UK in comparison to the X and PS5 which just insta-sell out.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I was planning on getting an X but I've changed my mind to the S.

Price is really good. I can play Halo and other exclusives with my pals.. Hard drive size could be a problem but I don't but too many games anyway.

As someone that only plays on Switch it being less powerful than X doesn't bother me as much after thinking about it.

I think the S is defo going to be a hit with people like myself.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna be crazy when we see it drop to $199 in a year or even something crazier like $149/$99 in a few years.

I fully expect MS to go hard in the paint to build up their ecosystem. Even at $300, the Series S brings a level of value we've straight up never seen with consoles before. If I didn't have a PC (or care way too much about resolutions), I'd be all over it.