• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Currently a developing story. Riot themselves have not yet commented.
The California Department of Fair Employment and Housing said today that it is filing an investigation enforcement suit against League of Legends publisher Riot Games, as part of an investigation into gender discrimination at the company.

The DFEH is asking the courts to compel Riot to provide employees' pay information for "an ongoing investigation into alleged gender discrimination," according to a press release issued on Wednesday afternoon by the department. It said that it is looking into "alleged unequal pay, sexual harassment, sexual assault, retaliation, and gender discrimination in selection and promotion."

While the investigation began in October 2018, the DFEH said that Riot has so far "refused to provide the Department with adequate information for DFEH to analyze whether women are paid less than men at the company," which is why it is now filing the suit. In the suit, the DFEH says that Riot has "impeded" the investigation by withholding "basic employment data that... employment laws require employers to maintain." The DFEH said it has met with Riot numerous times but has been unable to reach a solution without involving the courts.

UPDATE: Riot has responded
We've been in active conversations with the DFEH since its inquiry began. Investigations like this can arise when there have been allegations of workplace disparity and we've been cooperating in good faith with the DFEH to address its concerns. During this time, we've promptly responded to the DFEH's requests, and have produced over 2,500 pages of documents and several thousand lines of pay data so far. We've also made several recent requests that the DFEH participate in a call with us to address their requests. To date, these requests have been unanswered, so we're frankly disappointed to see the DFEH issue a press release alleging that we've been non-cooperative. We're confident that we've made substantial progress on diversity, inclusion, and company culture, and look forward to continue demonstrating this to the DFEH.

Last edited:

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cheers to the new sites that broke the news at first, was it Kotaku?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Having heard stories from a female friend who used to work at riot games, I'm glad this is happening. There's absolutely a frat mentality there.

OP
OP
MMarston

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks that way. It popped up on my news feed and nowhere else yet.

EDIT: Oh, I think you meant the original story from last year. Then yes, it was them too.

Last edited:

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
For anyone familiar with CA state law will the results of their investigation be made for public knowledge?

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Good.
Pretty sure this was it

kotaku.com

Inside The Culture Of Sexism At Riot Games

Throughout her three years at Riot Games, the company behind League of Legends, Lacy made it her mission to hire a woman into a leadership role. Lacy had heard plenty of excuses for why her female job candidates weren’t Riot material. Some were “ladder climbers.” Others had “too much ego.” Most...

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
They 100% deserve this for refusing to address and solve these issues internally and instead decied to sweep them all under the rug.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Riot's shitty sexist culture is not that surprising for a specific reason: they made it a point to heavily prioritize hiring people who played the game a lot, without filtering for other things that are just as if not more important. Given how sexist and toxic the playerbase can be, it's not surprising that hiring from that pool would result in this kind of environment.

The one anecdote that stuck out to me is one of the interview questions for job apps being how much they played League. Not a bad question in and of itself but where it got ridiculous was the expectation that you would play for absurd hours a day (like 10 or so), when that's neither viable nor responsible for anyone who isn't a pro player or streamer. Most people don't have that kind of time to play games. The whole place sounds like a toxic "gamerbro" environment even compared to other studios with bad corporate cultures.

Last edited:

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Completely deserved, the company's made multiple promises to improve things and they haven't done shit. No results.

Jun 12, 2019
Riot's shitty sexist culture is not that surprising for a specific reason: they made it a point to heavily prioritize hiring people who played the game a lot, without filtering for other things that are just as if not more important. Given how sexist and toxic the playerbase can be, it's not surprised that hiring from that pool would result in this kind of environment.

The one anecdote that stuck out to me is one of the interview questions for job apps being how much they played League. Not a bad question in and of itself but where it got ridiculous was the expectation that you would play for absurd hours (like 10 or so), when that's neither viable nor responsible for anyone who isn't a pro player or streamer. Most people don't have that kind of time to play games.
This is exactly the issue: building a company of people who worship the product will necessarily create a fratty and abusive culture, especially if the product's fanbase is deeply and famously toxic.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Riot's shitty sexist culture is not that surprising for a specific reason: they made it a point to heavily prioritize hiring people who played the game a lot, without filtering for other things that are just as if not more important. Given how sexist and toxic the playerbase can be, it's not surprising that hiring from that pool would result in this kind of environment.

The one anecdote that stuck out to me is one of the interview questions for job apps being how much they played League. Not a bad question in and of itself but where it got ridiculous was the expectation that you would play for absurd hours (like 10 or so), when that's neither viable nor responsible for anyone who isn't a pro player or streamer. Most people don't have that kind of time to play games. The whole place sounds like a toxic "gamerbro" environment even compared to other studios with bad corporate cultures.
10 hours a week? Wow. What professional has that kind of time. Must be nice lol

lake

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
That's 20 games based on averages and even then that is roughly 8% of your entire week including 8 hours of sleep and 8 hours of work (correct my math if wrong)

So I'm not sure why that's a shock... are people usually busier?
I recall it being "10 hours a day" which is why I found it so absurd, but I admit I could be misremembering. I thought it was present in the original expose by Kotaku which already got posted, but I'm reading it over again now and can't find it, so I'm not sure where I heard it from now.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Riot responds.
We've been in active conversations with the DFEH since its inquiry began. Investigations like this can arise when there have been allegations of workplace disparity and we've been cooperating in good faith with the DFEH to address its concerns. During this time, we've promptly responded to the DFEH's requests, and have produced over 2,500 pages of documents and several thousand lines of pay data so far. We've also made several recent requests that the DFEH participate in a call with us to address their requests. To date, these requests have been unanswered, so we're frankly disappointed to see the DFEH issue a press release alleging that we've been non-cooperative. We're confident that we've made substantial progress on diversity, inclusion, and company culture, and look forward to continue demonstrating this to the DFEH.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Riot shared a response to Kotaku:

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recall it being "10 hours a day" which is why I found it so absurd, but I admit I could be misremembering. I thought it was present in the original expose by Kotaku which already got posted, but I'm reading it over again now and can't find it, so I'm not sure where I heard it from now.

It is probably an anecdote from QA at Riot. I have heard some wild shit from that department in the early days but I'd have to ask around for current work hours most people do.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
We've also made several recent requests that the DFEH participate in a call with us to address their requests. To date, these requests have been unanswered, so we're frankly disappointed to see the DFEH issue a press release alleging that we've been non-cooperative.

I'm calling bullshit on this - no way Riot did this and produced satisfactory documents

Aug 29, 2018
everything about this company just irrittates the piss out of me, from their weird self deprecating stick figure youtube commercials to their oh yeah apparently super blatant and infantile culture of sexism get bodied RIOT

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

The one anecdote that stuck out to me is one of the interview questions for job apps being how much they played League. Not a bad question in and of itself but where it got ridiculous was the expectation that you would play for absurd hours a day (like 10 or so), when that's neither viable nor responsible for anyone who isn't a pro player or streamer. Most people don't have that kind of time to play games. The whole place sounds like a toxic "gamerbro" environment even compared to other studios with bad corporate cultures.
Unless they've changed their policies in recent years, this seems like an exaggeration.
Being familiar with their product is obviously a plus, but when I was there, you were never expected to have played the game prior to being hired, and never expected to play the game after being hired. There were optional programs to teach you the game if you wanted to learn. There were plenty of game designers and engineers who basically never touched League of Legends, or had the proficiency and game knowledge of a low Bronze player.

Nov 2, 2017
Unless they've changed their policies in recent years, this seems like an exaggeration.
Being familiar with their product is obviously a plus, but when I was there, you were never expected to have played the game prior to being hired, and never expected to play the game after being hired. There were optional programs to teach you the game if you wanted to learn. There were plenty of game designers and engineers who basically never touched League of Legends, or had the proficiency and game knowledge of a low Bronze player.

If you've got some good evidence to contribute, I'd love to hear it, but the reporting indicates otherwise. There's honestly too much of it to quote here, so my suggestion would be to go look at Cecila's earlier story about Riot (https://kotaku.com/inside-the-culture-of-sexism-at-riot-games-1828165483) and start from the subheading "Gamers First".

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
It is probably an anecdote from QA at Riot. I have heard some wild shit from that department in the early days but I'd have to ask around for current work hours most people do.
QA were treated well at Riot when I was there (2011-2014). There's room for career growth as well as opportunity to transition to other departments if they wish. A lot of their current design team started as QA or playtesters with limited or no industry experience beforehand. All of the QA I worked with gushed about how much better Riot was compared to other developers they've worked with, so unless there's been a major culture shift in the past few years, I don't think this is a departmental issue. Riot also makes ample use of external QA vendors to lighten the load.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
If you've got some good evidence to contribute, I'd love to hear it, but the reporting indicates otherwise. There's honestly too much of it to quote here, so my suggestion would be to go look at Cecila's earlier story about Riot (https://kotaku.com/inside-the-culture-of-sexism-at-riot-games-1828165483) and start from the subheading "Gamers First".
I've read this article. I also know some of the referenced folks in the article, although most were hired after I'd left.
Riot has always had a "players first" directive as part of their culture, but it's always meant to be in promotion of user empathy. I'm not going to be able to disprove any particular anecdote, especially as Riot is a massive company and it's also evolved over the years, but I will say that the accusation of "players first" being a contributor to toxicity was absolutely not the case while I was there.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see this finally I've heard a lot of horror stories about Riot Games. Hopefully leads to actually change.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yes, burn it down.

And screw some of my friends who work at Riot to refuse to acknowledge the shit going on in their company.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Everything I've heard about the culture inside the company is utterly disgusting.

I hope they are dragged through the mud and churned out at the highest level, making way for an executive Exodus, be accompanied with criminal charges that stick.