• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Thought this was interesting, considering Kotaku still gets good scopes nowadays. Hope they can sort this out.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku does not deserver Jason.

With his scoops the dude could be operating his own site

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Jason should jump the sinking ship and start a Patreon. He's honestly the only reason I still follow Kotaku.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
G/O Media is on a streak.
Telling Deadspin to not write about politics and media anymore and now this.
What a shithole

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling
Does this mean Era will boycot Kotaku because their owners are infringing on their employees right to free speech?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Does this mean Era will boycot Kotaku because their owners are infringing on their employees right to free speech?
This is an (in my view very bad) editorial stance, but clearly their staff have not had their free speech curtailed.

We have heard about this story because one of their staff exercised their right to free speech, and posted tweets publicly discussing it from his perspective.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was wondering why AV club was autoplaying shit suddenly, thought I hit a setting or something.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have a great team over there, who im sad to say should just jump ship from their awful owners and do their own thing. Id support a site devoted to the kind of investigative journalism they do so well

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being the person at G/O who made this decision to pull the article and forgetting what the Streisand effect is.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
G/O Media is on a streak.
Telling Deadspin to not write about politics and media anymore and now this.
What a shithole

Ah yes. Deadspin, the notoriously straightforward sticking to sports site since its inception. Not like criticizing media was a huge part of WHY THEY EXISTED IN THE FIRST PLACE

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Y
This is an (in my view very bad) editorial stance, but clearly their staff have not had their free speech curtailed.

We have heard about this story because one of their staff exercised their right to free speech, and posted tweets publicly discussing it from his perspective.

Its deeper than that. The owners pulling the articles from all their websites is censoring the staff and ALL OF US as consumers. The article was promoting and encouraging the use of free speech to opine on what we the consumers would like to see. By pulling these articles they are censoring us the readers of Video Game Journalism.

grassblade

Oct 27, 2017
Best case scenario would be selling GMG to the union members. Run it like a co-op. They probably don't have the funds for it though... 😕

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

As someone who works in marketing...

source.gif

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Geez, dude just had a baby and just returned to work and it's just the worst kind of drama to come back to. That sucks. I'll support him whenever he ends up going (if he goes anywhere)

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of loud autoplay fuckery is one of the reasons adblockers were created in the first place.

real good way to get people to stop looking at all advertising on your site, in exchange for a few short-term views of these obnoxious ads

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Kotaku went down anyway, many recent article are as bad as clickbait article can get.

The few people at Kotaku that write the good stuff should leave the sinking ship.

Such ads are often the last desperate attempt to get some money in before a site close.

Teasing_Pink

Oct 25, 2017
No one's free speech is being violated. All of these groups are private entities. When the US government steps in to charge and imprison Kotaku editors for what they have written, then their free speech will have been infringed.

That said, this is a dick move by Kotaku's ownership.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While you're at it, get rid of the horrible autoplaying of video.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
When will companies learn that trying to erase what's already made it to the internet will only amplify whatever it is you're hiding.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the writers, editors and other producers of content need to bail. Gizmodo Media Group is awful and needs to burn.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I stopped reading kotaku - not because of any needy gamer shit but because they'd post links or collections of Japanese tweets and call that an article - but the parent company is being a real nightmare. I really like deadspin's coverage of the nba and our very garbage-y world.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Don't kotaku always say they don't remove articles? Or is that Polygon?

they forced LKD to go through some shit because she got something wrong in an article and refused to take it down or something right?

i guess the rules don't apply when it's corporate

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Sent the email. Would love it if the Kotaku team collectively jumped ship and started their own company, but that's an expensive endeavor so I don't expect that. Maybe get some of the AV Club team and Deadspin in there too. Keep it focused on media, and do the same thing for politics with The Root, Splinter, and whatever else has proactive leftist politics.

Send your own email at
[email protected]

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Someone just fucking poach the Kotaku staff and let that god awful website die.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Don't kotaku always say they don't remove articles? Or is that Polygon?

they forced LKD to go through some shit because she got something wrong in an article and refused to take it down or something right?

i guess the rules don't apply when it's corporate
Kotaku has always proudly and publically talked about the wall between editorial and business decisions. Yeah. Not so much anymore. This is going to have longterm consequences.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I get the bad feeling shits gonna go down next year and this is just the sampler.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jason, please leave this shithole. I promise I will give money to your patreon.