• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
If someone is playing i.e Warzone 12 hours per day since launch then yes.

What? No way. My DS3 was still working and I've put thousands if not tens of thousand of hours onto it. Defective controllers might have issues faster, but the average controller should be lasting thousands of hours of use.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This could happen to any controller, after any amount of time. I've had controllers drift after a week and some that haven't drifted yet.

Sorry it's happening to folks.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Drifting too on top of the well known trigger problems? Jesus.

You say "well known" like it's some widespread issue, which we don't know it is. Even on this forum, most users report they have no issues with their DS. On the other hand, for every product out there you can find a bunch of people "reporting that they have a specific issue".

Anyway, back to your comment, it seems DualSenses are fine and well made for the most part, so no need for alarm, yet.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
someone, somewhere, has though. That's the point. Maybe there is a larger scale issue at play here (like with joycon drift), or maybe these are outliers. We don't really have any indication either way and this article doesn't really support that idea.

sony should however get their shit together re:the repair process though, whether these are one off issues or not.
Oh I'm sure someone has with the dualsense, I'm not denying that.

PLease read the post I quoted, and consider my response. It's not to dismiss this issue, I'm criticizing others for dismissing the issue.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Lol been real interesting seeing console makers reinvent the wheel each time.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You say "well known" like it's some widespread issue, which we don't know it is. Even on this forum, most users report they have no issues with their DS. On the other hand, for every product out there you can find a bunch of people "reporting that they have a specific issue".

Anyway, back to your comment, it seems DualSenses are fine and well made for the most part, so no need for alarm, yet.
Multiple people have reported it. So going with "most users" have no issues after only three months is pretty disingenious.

Maybe there isn't an issue.....but maybe....just maybe....there is. It's waaaaay too early to tell if "Dual Senses are fine and well made for the most part"

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Firmware update to increase deadzone size in 3.....2......1.....

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
And my Dualshock 4 is still fine after 5 years of heavy usage. It's easily my most durable controller ever.
Yikes. I didn't expect to come back to 11 responses.

I admit some controllers of mine haven't drifted. But those are the controllers I don't use constantly. For example, my Xbox one x controller I've used only for Netflix doesn't have drift. My Xbox series x controller doesn't have drift but I only have had that since nov. my PS5 controller doesn't have drift but I've had that since November. My DualShock 4 doesn't have drift and I have had that since Xmas 2016 but ps4 is an exclusive machine. I've probably only put 100-200 hours a year on it total since 2016. I own maybe 10-15 ps games total across ps4 and PS5.

My day one Xbox day one controller had drift within 2-3 years of daily use and fighting games. My follow up controller that I used daily with mk11 and ki also had drift within a few years.

NONE of what I said takes away from my point. After a period of time and use, any controller will contract drift. It's just physics

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
one of my controllers started drifting yesterday while i was playing control. pray for my other controllers

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
thats not hand waving. That's simply the level of discussion this sort of thing merits because we have nothing else to go on. Some people's controllers are fucking up. Others aren't/. What do you want this thread to be?
Having dismissive posts stating "all controllers eventually drift" is handwaving.........

IF we were talking about DS4's having an issues that would be a different story at this point in their lifecycle.

Oct 27, 2017
Literally any controller can develop drift after any usage of time, is this actually a widespread issue or a slow news day?

That said, people should not be charged for shipping.
Eh.....we're in the beginning of the generation so I doubt any independent source has collected enough data to figure out if it's a design fault or a "normal" failure rate. I guess Sony might have an inkling based on the number of warranty claims but of course mostly it's just the hardcore that buy a console in the first few months and maybe that tilts the data one way or another.

Maybe in a year or two we'll have a better picture?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Why does it feel like every console manufacturer can't get joysticks right? Are they doing it on purpose so people buy more controllers? What is going on?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Having dismissive posts stating "all controllers eventually drift" is handwaving.........

is that hand waving or is it factual? Considering again, we don't know the extent to whatlevel of an issue this is (is it simply a vocal minority or is it something more widespread akin to Joy Con drift), if the fact that all controllers can develop drift eventually is true, I don't see how that's not relevant. Are yousaying that statement is false?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had any issues with mine yet. Kinda wild we've had how many generations with analog sticks and I've only heard of or encountered drift in the past couple of years. Parts just getting cheaper/smaller I guess.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is that hand waving or is it factual? Considering again, we don't know the extent to whatlevel of an issue this is (is it simply a vocal minority or is it something more widespread akin to Joy Con drift), if the fact that all controllers can develop drift eventually is true, I don't see how that's not relevant. Are yousaying that statement is false?
DO all controllers eventually drift after 3 months? Yes or No.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Ithis topic has made me realize how lucky I've been outside of my joycons the past 2 gens. My DS4s must have thousands of hours on them and are falling apart, but the sticks held strong. Same with my OG 360 controller. Didn't have my Xbox One long enough to wear but I'm praying the SeriesX controller holds strong.

I would honestly consider paying 99 bucks for a controller if it came with an exchange program I could cash in on within 2 years no questions asked.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Every controller drifts eventually
I STILL USE 18 year old (dec 2002) gamecube controllers for smash bros, zero drift (one controllers stick was broken and wouldnt spring back to neutral from up due to damage, but not drift)
zero drift on my n64 controllers
zero drift on my 360 controllers (one died to frayed cable, one was stepped on upside down, crushing the stick)
zero drift on my dualshock 2 controllers, with hundreds of hours in GT4 and grinding out KH2 alone
Now I suddenly have problems with a switch joycon and a ps4 controller with a TENTH the gametime on them (my ps4 was bought brand new in 2018 and only used this last year on and off, and the joycon has similar use profile) and now supposedly all controllers are like this and were always like this?

Nah something changed or it turns out leaving controllers laying around on the basement floor is the only way to PREVENT drift while putting them up hurts them. This wasnt't and issue for me or any of my friends houses i went to back in the day, the bum nyko controller little siblings were forced to use had a stiff stick and bad buttons/ergonomics, not drift.
I haven't had any issues with mine yet. Kinda wild we've had how many generations with analog sticks and I've only heard of or encountered drift in the past couple of years. Parts just getting cheaper/smaller I guess.
Exactly, you know how many $20 mad catz i had out of being a broke kid with low allowance, none of those drifted, they were garbage for other reasons.

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
Please stop cutting corners on the damn controllers.

Starting to really be an issue in the industry

KlytusImBored

Oct 30, 2017
New Jersey
Sure is a lot easier to just go out and buy a new one eh? Not a fan of this practice to create friction to send in for repairs and block working controllers when they know most people will probably just say "F it" and buy a new DualSense since it's less hassle and don't have to wait.

"Good" business move but bad for the consumer.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Multiple people have reported it. So going with "most users" have no issues after only three months is pretty disingenious.

It's a fact. Currently, the vast majority of users don't have issues. Sure, it's been only three months, but by that logic you can assume anything. "Sony really messed up considering PlayStation 5s break after a year. They don't, you say? How can you tell - it's only been three months. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. But there were multiple reports of broken units. Out of 4.5 million. Multiple!".

Maybe there isn't an issue.....but maybe....just maybe....there is.

Sure. Also maybe there is a winning lotery ticket inside some of them worth millions. It's highly unlikely but.... maybe.... just maybe.... there is.

You can really assume anything, if you want to do it without any relevant data. Do you know that a large number of Scandinavian people that love tea have a black belt in Karate? Maybe.

It's waaaaay too early to tell if "Dual Senses are fine and well made for the most part"
Maybe there isn't an issue.....but maybe....just maybe....there is. It's waaaaay too early to tell if "Dual Senses are fine and well made for the most part"

You do realize this is a logical fallacy? You make claims based on data and proof, not make them and ask to be proven wrong.

Since there is no data to indicate otherwise ("multiple people reporting" is anecdotal evidence at worst, statistical error at best), there is no reason to assume there's an issue. Generally speaking, when a product is out and it's "waaaaaay too early to tell", the logical thing is to assume the product works as advertised until proven otherwise. Why would you assume there is an issue without any relevant data? Unless it's like, something you want to believe.

Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
DO all controllers eventually drift after 3 months? Yes or No.

All? No. But every single DualSense isn't experiencing drift so I'm not sure what your point is. Saying "all controllers eventually drift" (which again, im not even agreeing with, I genuinely don't know if it's true, do you?) doesn't imply they all develop drift at the exact same time, no more than every Xbox 360 red ring'd or did so after a certain number of hours.

the failure rate of consumer electronics would lead me to assume that there's been at least someone for whom a controller or console has been a lemon right out of the box or after a few weeks. This doesn't mean it's a "common" issue, but it also could be. Again, we don't know. But bringing up that aspect of the discussion isn't "hand waving".

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
What conclusions are we supposed to draw from a few reported faulty controllers out of the millions in existence?
Apparently that it's enough for someone in the press to write an article about it. Fact of the matter is, it's happening to people even if it isn't you. My joycons didn't drift either, until one day they did. Whatever the percentage, controllers shouldn't drift after such a short period of time, and Sony shouldn't be requiring you to call someone on the phone and pay for shipping to get it fixed.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please stop cutting corners on the damn controllers.

Starting to really be an issue in the industry
Yes it has

I've been gaming since Atari 2600 and never had a controller break until last gen- since then I had to replace one DS4, two Xbox one controllers and had three Joycons with drift issues. And another Joycon where the L1 no longer works

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the guy you're asking but why is the 3 month thing so big a deal when drifting can happen a month in as to your specific question being 3 months?
How long has PS5s been out?

Drifting in that timeframe is an issue and if it's happening to multiple users already it's just going to get worse

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Firmware update to increase deadzone size in 3.....2......1.....
They need to copy steam and add some kind of utility in the OS so you can adjust it yourself.

Everyone should.

Also, yeah... I was under the impression that this will happen to basically every controller eventually because the way the analog stick mechanisms are made (like how Nintendo made them differently for the Switch and it seems to fail sooner). Sucks it's happening so quickly, though. Are the Dual Sense's analog sticks the standard ones you see in your controllers when you open them up (I haven't popped open any of my next gen controllers yet).

Oct 27, 2017
tEtgsxj.gif

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All? No. But every single DualSense isn't experiencing drift so I'm not sure what your point is. Saying "all controllers eventually drift" (which again, im not even agreeing with, I genuinely don't know if it's true, do you?) doesn't imply they all develop drift at the exact same time, no more than every Xbox 360 red ring'd or did so after a certain number of hours.

the failure rate of consumer electronics would lead me to assume that there's been at least someone for whom a controller or console has been a lemon right out of the box or after a few weeks. This doesn't mean it's a "common" issue, but it also could be. Again, we don't know. But bringing up that aspect of the discussion isn't "hand waving".
Thanks for the very thorough and mature reply I appreciate it

I've just have so many issues lately with controllers and esp Joycon drift I'm skeptical that this won't be an issue

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Considering at least 8m consoles between PS5 and XSX have been sold, on top of people buying controllers for their PC, 1% drift rate would result in 80,000+ controllers with the issue out in the wild. Its hard to guage how widespread it is because of that.

Sony could at least handle the shipping costs under warranty though.

As for people that say drift will always happen over time, I've maybe only had 15% of all the controllers I've ever owned over 2 decades have stick drift and most of them were third party controllers.
Cut them some slack. They had to raise game prices just to keep the lights on.

Deleted member 79517

Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I'm beginning to think that controllers are getting worse, but I'm also beginning to think that a dramatic amount of luck is involved in who gets drift with what controllers.

I've had a Switch for 3 and a half years, had two sets of Joy Cons, and have never experienced drift. I also have a Switch Lite (1 year), and never had drift with that, either. DualShock 4? I've had 4 or 5 of those, and every one of them has been terrible for me. A lot of people here have had very different experiences. It's weird!

Oct 30, 2017
thats not hand waving. That's simply the level of discussion this sort of thing merits because we have nothing else to go on. Some people's controllers are fucking up. Others aren't/. What do you want this thread to be?
If anything, it's necessary.

If only the people with drift issues said something, it'd very very easy to get the impression that the issue is more widespread than it actually is.

watham

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama, USA
Lemme tell you, this shit sucks. I had it happen on one of my two controllers.

It wasn't like the Joycon drift, this was completely unusable in any sense. Even the menus were constantly receiving an input to go left. It really felt more like a firmware issue to me but I'm no expert.

Was very fortunate Amazon's return policy is forgiving.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Sure is a lot easier to just go out and buy a new one eh? Not a fan of this practice to create friction to send in for repairs and block working controllers when they know most people will probably just say "F it" and buy a new DualSense since it's less hassle and don't have to wait.

"Good" business move but bad for the consumer.

You honestly think this is a "business move"? Like, they designed them to break?

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
I had left stick drift when playing Ghost of Tshushima and FF7R a month back. Since then i have moved houses. I have played TLoU2 and RE7 after that and the drift is completely gone. No idea how.