• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if SF6 literally replaced sf5? Blizzard gets away with the craziest shit.

Jun 19, 2020
Not happy about it, but I understand why they wouldn't want to support two games on limited resources.
Yea lets pretend you cant play 4 different Counter Strike games, all the Battlefield games or I dont know how many COD games or any other mp shooter series in MP today. Its a numbered sequel by name not a update. Even the live service agument is invalid because Activision will launch Warzone 2 soon. And They wont delete Warzone 1.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
I wonder if the system spec requirements will stay the same. My 670 played overwatch fine at launch but it's been performing worse as the patches have piled on. Curious if they'll just drop support.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if SF6 literally replaced sf5? Blizzard gets away with the craziest shit.

I mean...

Even if they didn't replace it, the game would still be 5v5 with a heavy departure from shield meta.

I wonder if the system spec requirements will stay the same. My 670 played overwatch fine at launch but it's been performing worse as the patches have piled on. Curious if they'll just drop support.

Almost certainly not. The engine for OW2 is completely new, it's one of the big selling points for the upgrade.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Um, that's still very vague marketing speak. Note he avoids talking about it as one or two games, which the IGN person called it, and instead talks about "PvP audience". You dont have to replace all of OW to call it one audience as long as its crossplay connected.

they kept harping on the revamped engine for ow 2 with all its graphical flourishes and what not. there was never going to be crossplay between overwatch 1 and 2. and that's was before they took away 2 players from the game.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I don't know what to tell you. Literally the only thing that suggested that they would be separate entities was the "2" at the end of the name. Every single piece of press facing talk about the actual changes has described an upgrade more than a new product.
That it would be an upgrade more of a sequel was always clear, sure. You can do an upgrade in different ways. Entirely replacing the old stuff or offering both experiences in one client with some tweaks so people in both can play together. The marketing didnt seem very clear on that to me now that I'm reading old quotes.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea lets pretend you cant play 4 different Counter Strike games, all the Battlefield games or I dont know how many COD games or any other mp shooter series in MP today. Its a numbered sequel by name not a update.

I'm not excusing their decision, I don't like it, but given how slow development has been I think it makes sense for them to not split their resources further supporting two pieces of software based on the same platform. It would be upsetting if we lost access to playing OW1 as it was designed but I don't think they will be stupid enough to do that. But what do I know? I also thought Brexit would never be a thing.

Edit: nevermind I just read the developer quote. They are that stupid and I could see this backfiring very quickly once people get tired of the novelty factor of the new game.

Last edited:

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale

They've uped the min requirements but 600 series is still there
OW2
Minimum RequirementsRecommended Specifications
Operating SystemWindows® 10 64-bit (latest Service Pack)Windows® 10 64-bit (latest Service Pack)
ProcessorIntel® Core™ i3 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8650Intel® Core™ i7 or AMD Ryzen™ 5
VideoNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 600 series, AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 seriesNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 or AMD R9 380
Memory6 GB RAM8 GB RAM
Storage50 GB available hard drive space
InternetBroadband internet connection
MediaNone for the recommended digital installation
Resolution1024 x 768 minimum display resolution

playoverwatch.com

Overwatch 2 Beta Frequently Asked Questions

The next Overwatch 2 Beta is on its way and will include console support, Junker Queen, and Rio—a hybrid map that’s home to Lucio’s “Clube Sinestesia!”

Compared to OW1 specs

Minimum Requirements
Recommended Specifications
Operating SystemWindows® 7 / Windows® 8 / Windows® 10 64-bit (latest Service Pack)Windows® 7 / Windows® 8 / Windows® 10 64-bit (latest Service Pack)
ProcessorIntel® Core™ i3 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8650Intel® Core™ i5 or AMD Phenom™ II X3 or better
VideoNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460, ATI Radeon™ HD 4850, or Intel® HD Graphics 4400NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 or AMD Radeon™ HD 7950 or better
Memory4 GB RAM6 GB RAM
Storage30 GB available hard drive space
InternetBroadband internet connection
MediaNone for the recommended digital installation
Resolution1024 x 768 minimum display resolution

MarbledJelly

May 24, 2022
And? If you release a sequel you dont jam it into the first game. Activision is not deleting your ability to play the older COD games when they release a new one.
probably not the answer anyone wants to hear, but iirc, activist on wanted the money from a sequel, but the devs didnt want to leave the old player base behind. this was the compromise. obviously its a bit different now due to the changes in monetization in ow2, but it was probably too late to change at this point

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea lets pretend you cant play 4 different Counter Strike games, all the Battlefield games or I dont know how many COD games or any other mp shooter series in MP today. Its a numbered sequel by name not a update. Even the live service agument is invalid because Activision will launch Warzone 2 soon. And They wont delete Warzone 1.
At the end of the day, Blizzard is going a different route than what you expect out of a sequel. The game is also now free, like, it is what it is.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
This is lame as hell, but I also think large updates to online games making the older versions unplayable is also lame as hell. I think developers are way too concerned about "splitting the playerbase" when stuff like this happens. It's terrible for game preservation.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf. This isn't news. Hasn't this been known for like 2 years? They're the same game. Overwatch 2 Is the live service continuation of Overwatch 1. I feel like they've been pretty direct about that in every single piece of communication and marketing so far.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf. This isn't news. Hasn't this been known for like 2 years? They're the same game. Overwatch 2 Is the live service continuation of Overwatch 1. I feel like they've been pretty direct about that in every single piece of communication and marketing so far.
Best I can say is this heavily heavily implied when OW2 was first announced. Many people, myself included were under this impression back then. That said, Blizzard made the choice to not outright say it until recently, why idk. So, that's really it.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Is it confirmed no option? I would be surprised if thats the case. They kept the unlocked hero counts/roles as a game mode after they introduced the limits right? Surely there would be a 6v6 casual option

They're buffing the crap out of tanks, and tanks already make the current game kinda not fun with double barrier, etc. I don't see a 6v6 game being very fun with the highly buffed up tanks.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Best I can say is this heavily heavily implied when OW2 was first announced. Many people, myself included were under this impression back then. That said, Blizzard made the choice to not outright say it until recently, why idk. So, that's really it.
Faults on everyone and no one, then. Oh well. What did people really expect though, for Overwatch 1 to just continue to operate forever?

Oct 25, 2017

Don't let Activision Blizzards marketing mix you up this is a patch/refresh with an upcoming PvE expansion not a traditional sequel

The right comparison would be wanting to play a specific patch version in another FPS, most of the time you can't

To make another Diablo comparison, D3 vanilla and D3 RoS as it is today may as well be two different games
the game was updated and the vanilla experience is gone

D3 at launch is to Overwatch as D3 today is to Overwatch 2

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
They're buffing the crap out of tanks, and tanks already make the current game kinda not fun with double barrier, etc. I don't see a 6v6 game being very fun with the highly buffed up tanks.

I still would've liked the option to test out the changes in a 6v6 enviroment during the last beta, but of course they limited the number of players in custom lobbies to two teams of five players.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still would've liked the option to test out the changes in a 6v6 enviroment during the last beta, but of course they limited the number of players in custom lobbies to two teams of five players.
What would have been the point? Those changes weren't made with 6v6 in mind so it would inherently be stupid.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't play OW or these type of games in general (online/gaas/whatever you want to call it) but seems like a common sense way to "iterate" such a game, as I don't think "Overwatch 1" will thrive into the next decade alongside a completely different sequel. but maybe i'm being dumb about this

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't play OW or these type of games in general (online/gaas/whatever you want to call it) but seems like a common sense way to "iterate" such a game, as I don't think "Overwatch 1" will thrive into the next decade alongside a completely different sequel. but maybe i'm being dumb about this
I'm very much in agreement with you. Like I don't expect an Apex 2 in the traditional sense. What would be the point? I get a lot of folks are hung up on the idea of a sequel being far removed from its original game, but I think there's room for these types of game evolutions.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
This is seriously like people expecting to play an older expansion of WoW, or vanilla D3. I understand that the marketing might be confusing, but this information has been out there for a while. It's a weird expectation for a game like this that has been getting a ton of updates over the past 6 years.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
OK, Like I understand the initial announcement on this was dogshit but its clear what they are getting at.

IGN: Obviously there are changes that are coming to Overwatch 1 that will be a part of Overwatch 2. Is the plan still for those those PvP audiences to be able to play with each other, despite the fact that there may be differences between those two games?

Jeff Kaplan: Yes. The plan is to really have the two PvP audiences converge, or I guess a better way to say it is that there would be one PvP audience – they're just enjoying the PVP experience.
www.ign.com

Overwatch 2 at Blizzcon 2021: The Big Jeff Kaplan Interview - IGN

Despite today's Overwatch 2 Behind-the-Scenes panel revealing a glut of new details about the game, there's still a lot to discuss about Blizzard's shooter sequel. Thankfully, we managed to speak to exactly the right person about that – game director Jeff Kaplan.

This actually isn't very clear imo.

Ultimately I think it was just a horrendously bad idea to market this as OW2, a sequel to OW. It fundamentally isn't that, and they've really done nothing in these statements that firmly says "OW1 will be shuttered as soon as OW2 is live to the public." Words like "converge" are misleading. The Halo games "converged" into the MCC, a separate product. OW2 is not doing any converging, it's replacing. They should've just said this the whole time. "OW1 will end/shut down when OW2 replaces it near the launch of OW2."

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
publicly known for years, they haven't been hiding the ball with this.
guess the author (jeremy winslow) does have a sucky memory as he writes

i also thought this answer was pretty shit:

What is the team's opinion about the number of heroes in each role (10 Tanks, 17 Damage, 8 Supports on Oct 4th)? Is there any intention to increase the number of support heroes relative to the other roles, since currently the supports have the least heroes per team slot? Are you considering any more role-swaps (like Doomfist) to even out the roster among the roles?

Answer from blizz_winter:

Our high number of Damage heroes is directly related to the fact that Damage was originally two different roles (Offense and Defense). It was never our intent to create a role that had far more heroes than our other two roles when we created Role Queue.

We know that our support hero lineup needs more variety and it's a focus for us going forward, but we can't abandon development of Damage heroes given their popularity.

Having exactly the same number of heroes in each role is not a goal we're likely to ever actively pursue, but having more supports ASAP is. To that point, two of the three heroes after Season 2 are Supports, as Aaron Keller revealed earlier on this thread :)

no one ever asked them to "abandon" development of damage heroes. what a terrible way to answer the question. when 2/5 of every game is support heroes, that should also be reflected in the proportion of heroes available to choose from. instead, there are double the number of damage heroes to choose from as compared to supports. at least make some attempt to allow supports to catch up instead of not even trying.

Last edited:

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
They have to force it on people; it'd be a disaster for them if both were live simultaneously and 6v6 proved to be more popular.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
. at least make some attempt to allow supports to catch up instead of not even trying.
Literally 3 of the next 6 heroes are supports, 1 DPS, 2 tank and 1 unknown.

They have to force it on people; it'd be a disaster for them if both were live simultaneously and 6v6 proved to be more popular.

The queue times for 6v6 would be hours long because every tank will abandon that game.

Aug 12, 2019
I feel like too many people are focusing on dunking in this thread for this to be a productive discussion. Like, no, the rollout of Overwatch 2 has been absolutely horrendous and unclear from Day Onw and only recently got to an acceptable state. And plenty of older titles have existed while their prior versions essentially got made legacy content. Even if nobody plays them much, they still let the community have them at do as they please with their own servers. There's no real reason Overwatch 1 can't continue when the experience is being so heavily altered for this Overwatch 2 launch.

Like it's not that hard to just keep some old servers up for the old game for people who want it. And no it's not just an update to the game because they went way too far out of their way to market this as a unique game. If you put a 2 in the title like that, you clearly meant to create an expectation of something more divorced from the first. And it feels like it got turned into Overwatch 2.0 free to play in some degree of development hell.

Personally, I fucking hate this. Overwatch 1 is a frustrating mess of a game sure, but it's my frustrating mess I like having around to mess around with and I think a ton of the idiotic fun I have with where 1 has ended is going to be gone chasing a competitive scene that will probably never recover to its heyday. If they wanted to maintain that scene they shouldn't have destroyed the game after year one so many times over and I think the moment has largely passed

Let me keep my Overwatch 1, it costs Activision Blizzard so relatively little to keep a legacy game going for a few more years and then just turn it over to fans entirely.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
This actually isn't very clear imo.

Ultimately I think it was just a horrendously bad idea to market this as OW2, a sequel to OW. It fundamentally isn't that, and they've really done nothing in these statements that firmly says "OW1 will be shuttered as soon as OW2 is live to the public." Words like "converge" are misleading. The Halo games "converged" into the MCC, a separate product. OW2 is not doing any converging, it's replacing. They should've just said this the whole time. "OW1 will end/shut down when OW2 replaces it near the launch of OW2."
This right here. Overwatch 2 isn't a sequel in the sense that most people would define a sequel. That's the problem. If it was marketed as overwatch 2.0 and you can buy a PVE expansion then none of this confusion would exist.

Blizzard botched this, and as the poster above me said, a bunch of you seem to be too focused on dunking on folks who are confused by this to objectively see why what blizzard has done here with its language isn't clear.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I guess that's understandable, I mean, Blizzard is a small dev, they don't have the money to keep the servers up for two different games.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
They did say that the PvE will release as part of the live service

We're using the term Early Access to indicate that this is just the start of many new things coming to the game. We're launching with new heroes, maps and features, but there are even more of these coming seasonally – every 9 weeks. We recently released a roadmap detailing some of this content, with a new hero coming in Seasons 1 and 2, and a new map in Season 2. Additionally, larger pieces of the game that have always been a part of the vision for OW2 will be released to the game as part of the live service, including the launch of the PvE Campaign next year.

yeah which will leave the game with 18 (or 19) damage heroes and 11 supports by the end of 2023, if all 6 of those heroes release before then. ever so slightly better than the 17:8 ratio it is now.
You said they weren't trying to catch up and I'm saying half of the next 6 heroes will be supports.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Fuck I hope this reinvigorates the quick play classic modes. Keep that role queuing away from me please. All my crew fell off OW when they added it and I miss 2017 OW so much

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I can't believe this is still news to people. They said this is how it would work when they announced Overwatch 2 like three years ago.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
when can i play overwatch classic

:p
I no joke have wanted this for years. The first year of Overwatch was incredible to me, and it wasn't just because it was new. The balance was actually really fun, regardless of some OP abilities. I've been wanting that back ever since. Too bad the game is seemingly modding proof or maybe there'd be a private server by now.