• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's pretty simple. People don't stop buying the previous generation consoles just because the new generation is out. They buy them because they are cheaper. Microsoft probably feels, what if instead of them buying the previous generation, they buy this new cheaper device that not only plays all the older games but will also let them play all the future games as well. These people jumping in at the lower price point to get an older console despite the new ones being out likely don't care as much about being behind with lesser graphics because they're buying an older console. It's a great way to convert those people to have access to newer games moving forward.

But this still sounds like disruption for disruptions sake. You'd agree that people continue purchasing the old system after release of a new one, and MS have said they'll continue to support XB1, so why go to the trouble of manufacturing an "in-between" of the two generations? We're talking R+D, design, manufacturing plants, and production for a console that is made to appeal to the people purchasing an XB1. Considering MS have already redesigned the XB1 to an XB1S and developed an XB1X, I just don't get why you'd setup more facilities to make another console ... consoles aren't iPhones.

JTSilver

Games Actor
Verified
Sep 1, 2019
I wonder what this means for a potential Switch 2. If next-gen multiplats will be designed for something around the power of a ps4pro as their baseline, that may leave enough wiggle room for Nintendo to come in around 2022 with a hybrid console in that range and receive a decent amount of next-gen ports.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I wonder what this means for a potential Switch 2. If next-gen multiplats will be designed for something around the power of a ps4pro as their baseline, that may leave enough wiggle room for Nintendo to come in around 2022 with a hybrid console in that range and receive a decent amount of next-gen ports.

This is a misconception. 4TF Navi in the Lockhart is at least 50% better due to improved efficiency + bandwidth. Add in VRS and conservative rasterization, HW RT, it's probably double...

Let's see if the Switch 2 can match base PS4 performance first... Even XB1s perf is not reached in mobile GPU yet.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It depends on the Switch 2. Zen2 means a lot CPU power. And no, games are not designed around the power of the pro, there is more than just a gpu in a console that is relevant to performance.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This is a misconception. 4TF Navi in the Lockhart is at least 50% better due to improved efficiency + bandwidth. Add in VRS and conservative rasterization, HW RT, it's probably double...

Let's see if the Switch 2 can match base PS4 performance first... Even XB1s perf is not reached in mobile GPU yet.
4TF Navi doing RT is another issue seeing how the RTX GPU's handle it.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Current gen games ported to Switch, "that's awesome!". Next gen games ported to Lockhart, "Omg, MS is ruining the gen with this weak crap!"

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
But this still sounds like disruption for disruptions sake. You'd agree that people continue purchasing the old system after release of a new one, and MS have said they'll continue to support XB1, so why go to the trouble of manufacturing an "in-between" of the two generations? We're talking R+D, design, manufacturing plants, and production for a console that is made to appeal to the people purchasing an XB1. Considering MS have already redesigned the XB1 to an XB1S and developed an XB1X, I just don't get why you'd setup more facilities to make another console ... consoles aren't iPhones.

It's not though; it's expanding on what both Sony and Microsoft have established in this current generation. Having two consoles at different price points and performance tiers hasn't destroyed their business or the console market. And how doesn't it make sense? First, let's ignore the logistics of creating the system and simply tell me which do you think Microsoft prefers. Do you think when the next generation hardware comes out but someone doesn't buy the high end system, would they rather sell you a system that can only play previous gen games or a system that can play previous gen and current gen games? The answer should be obvious. It helps to grow the user base faster, which means that's a bigger audience that game developers can develop their games for rather than waiting for the install base to grow at a slower rate that a normal transition would be. There's good reason here for Microsoft to want to try to explore this.

Now let's look at the logistics part. You're assuming that the design of the two are drastically different but let's look at the PC. They're built to be modular and almost like LEGOs. Why can't we assume that if they planned this ahead of time that they didn't design both platforms with this in mind so that they could share a lot of things? You wouldn't be doing R&D at the cost of two systems. You would be doing R&D on a platform that can be used as two different systems by being modular.

Finally, as you already said they already do this with the Xbox One S and the Xbox One S, so it's not like it's some new concept to them to manufacture two different systems. Where you might be missing something is the assumption that there's going to be four systems on the market. There's no reason for the Xbox One S or One X to be on the market with Lockhart out there since it'll play those games and more. This is very likely going to replace them and not live along side them and just like there are two platforms now, there will only be two when the next gen launches. And again, it'll be backwards compatible so that doesn't stop them from supporting existing Xbox One users and Xbox One games for people who buy Lockhart.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Sigh. I really hope this isnt the case. This will ha e the entire generation held back.

Its going to happen. It makes business sense at least. They know theres a large number of people that dont care about the best graphics or whatever. They aren't blind to how many units the Switch is selling right now....

They will probably make a killing with this approach next gen.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
It's not though; it's expanding on what both Sony and Microsoft have established in this current generation. Having two consoles at different price points and performance tiers hasn't destroyed their business or the console market. And how doesn't it make sense? First, let's ignore the logistics of creating the system and simply tell me which do you think Microsoft prefers. Do you think when the next generation hardware comes out but someone doesn't buy the high end system, would they rather sell you a system that can only play previous gen games or a system that can play previous gen and current gen games? The answer should be obvious. It helps to grow the user base faster, which means that's a bigger audience that game developers can develop their games for rather than waiting for the install base to grow at a slower rate that a normal transition would be. There's good reason here for Microsoft to want to try to explore this.

Now let's look at the logistics part. You're assuming that the design of the two are drastically different but let's look at the PC. They're built to be modular and almost like LEGOs. Why can't we assume that if they planned this ahead of time that they didn't design both platforms with this in mind so that they could share a lot of things? You wouldn't be doing R&D at the cost of two systems. You would be doing R&D on a platform that can be used as two different systems by being modular.

Finally, as you already said they already do this with the Xbox One S and the Xbox One S, so it's not like it's some new concept to them to manufacture two different systems. Where you might be missing something is the assumption that there's going to be four systems on the market. There's no reason for the Xbox One S or One X to be on the market with Lockhart out there since it'll play those games and more. This is very likely going to replace them and not live along side them and just like there are two platforms now, there will only be two when the next gen launches. And again, it'll be backwards compatible so that doesn't stop them from supporting existing Xbox One users and Xbox One games for people who buy Lockhart.

Does that mean you're expecting the sales split to be 80/20 in favour of Lockhart? That would align with the two tiered approach in the current generation.

I think the manufacturing thing would be more of a bottleneck out of the gate, as there normally a bit of a ramp up time to produce enough consoles. I guess they could use pre-orders to adjust which split they aim for but the more casual end of the market don't always pre-order.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Does that mean you're expecting the sales split to be 80/20 in favour of Lockhart? That would align with the two tiered approach in the current generation.

I think the manufacturing thing would be more of a bottleneck out of the gate, as there normally a bit of a ramp up time to produce enough consoles. I guess they could use pre-orders to adjust which split they aim for but the more casual end of the market don't always pre-order.
I haven't given it any thought on what the split might be. I would think we'd start with data from previous console transitions and see how many previous gen systems sold during the launch of a new generation during the holiday season.

I think this is a very good question though on how Microsoft determines how to allocate manufacturing of each system. It also begs the question of how the supply chain works with shared versus non shared parts too. But I agree, at launch, given the history of how consoles have been constrained by limited supply from manufacturing, it poses a potential problem. Pre-orders are certain a way to gauge it, but it'll really depend on the lead time needed to know and how easily they can shift manufacturing resources. Again, supply chain typically has to be planned in advance, so who knows how easy this is to change.

If anything, this aspect is a much more compelling and interesting discussion on the challenge of going this route for Microsoft. Maybe it all goes back to what I started with with them basing how to do this based on the data of how previous generations split the sales between previous gen and next gen and they do something similar along those lines. After all, they do predict from data and interest from retailers on how much to increase their manufacturing for their current systems to compensate for the increase in sales that happens at this time of the year every year.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017

All future Xbox ecosystem exclusives will be playable on PC, so therefore users on Scarlett should still get impressive games regardless of the sales split (e.g.: Lockhart getting far more sales out of the gate due to cheaper price). Multiplats available outside of Xbox's ecosystem may be a bit more varied, but most of those games will be available on PC too anyway.

I honestly think things will be fine for both groups (Lockhart users & Scarlett users).

I haven't given it any thought on what the split might be. I would think we'd start with data from previous console transitions and see how many previous gen systems sold during the launch of a new generation during the holiday season.

I think this is a very good question though on how Microsoft determines how to allocate manufacturing of each system. It also begs the question of how the supply chain works with shared versus non shared parts too. But I agree, at launch, given the history of how consoles have been constrained by limited supply from manufacturing, it poses a potential problem. Pre-orders are certain a way to gauge it, but it'll really depend on the lead time needed to know and how easily they can shift manufacturing resources. Again, supply chain typically has to be planned in advance, so who knows how easy this is to change.

If anything, this aspect is a much more compelling and interesting discussion on the challenge of going this route for Microsoft. Maybe it all goes back to what I started with with them basing how to do this based on the data of how previous generations split the sales between previous gen and next gen and they do something similar along those lines. After all, they do predict from data and interest from retailers on how much to increase their manufacturing for their current systems to compensate for the increase in sales that happens at this time of the year every year.

I never really thought about how they'll determine how many consoles of each type to make. It seems like Xbox One X consoles are as easy to buy/find as Xbox One S consoles though.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017

It may just be that they risk going all out to start with, going for 80/20 in favour of Scarlett, knowing that their hardcore will be there at the start, though it may risk annoying the lower price market if there are huge shortages and it's the sought after toy for Christmas next year. Definitely an interesting dilemma.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Gamepass is the difference. It makes this doable. Gamepass + regular sales

Amazing what cheap software can do. All of the sudden it's not that big of a deal if you're locked into owning stuff for ever with no way of reselling or lending lending games to your friends/family.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
As someone who has little interest in Xbox and will almost certainly be PS5 only next gen I really couldn't care less about this and I'm not at all concerned about the quality of next gen games.
Games this gen have been fantastic and they are only going to get better next gen.
If this happens it seems to me it's a console to get people in on Gamepass and I think if Xbox wants one thing next gen it's a sub to that above everything else.
I'm not qualified to say how much of a hassle it would be for devs so have nothing to say about that aspect.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
At first I was a bit bummed, but if this actually helps more games run in 60 FPS on the stronger Xbox, I'm all for it.

walriii314

Oct 28, 2017
Reminder: Number #1 hindrance of innovation and pushing console hardware to the max is business risk. Prove me wrong.

If you can't, realize that lowering the barriers to entry and making the platforms more accessible increases the likelihood devs will try to push that hardware. Business opportunity drives those decisions. The sooner the CPUs and SSDs are in the hands of masses, the better for innovation. GPUs can scale much easier than any innovation that comes from CPUs or SSDs.

In conclusion, cheaper models that hasten adoption will lead to more instances of the new tech being utilized, not less.
Thank you, say it loud for the FUD people in the back.

walriii314

Oct 28, 2017
More users = less risk

This is why I like the current focus in making console games available on more than one box from all of the console makers. I didn't grow up poor, but I had some friends that were less fortunate, and some of them didn't have many video games to play and/or didn't get consoles until those consoles were 4+ years old.

This upcoming trend/strategy will let many gamers not feel left out, which is good for gaming as a whole.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Didn't the 360 launch with BC? I remember reading something about how they prioritized having Halo 2 BC.

Yeah, you're right. I remembered that incorrectly. The 360 did launch with BC, but the caveats were pretty severe:
  • it was done through a software emulation layer
  • it was a limited list of games, 212 in North America at launch
  • you had to have a hard drive
  • you had to download a patch for each BC game
  • The games had a tendency to be glitchy, performance could be poor and you would get crashes
But still, yeah, it was there, and it was better than nothing at all, which was what we got at the beginning of generation 8. I think I only used it a few times and I never actually completed an entire game with it. It was easier to just boot up my OG Xbox.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Current gen games ported to Switch, "that's awesome!". Next gen games ported to Lockhart, "Omg, MS is ruining the gen with this weak crap!"
If developers make their games with the PS5/Scarlett as the baseline spec and then port down to Lockhart months later, that's one thing. If developers make games with Lockhart as the baseline spec and all the PS5/Scarlett do is run higher resolution Lockhart games, that's a huge problem.

If Lockhart is treated as a separate platform like the Switch then it won't be an issue. If MS mandates that all Scarlett games have to run on Lockhart, developers obviously won't be able to take advantage of the PS5/Scarlett fully. That's the problem. This won't be a issue for first-party Sony games but for third-party games and literally everything on MS' side, it could seriously hold things back.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, you're right. I remembered that incorrectly. The 360 did launch with BC, but the caveats were pretty severe:
  • it was done through a software emulation layer
  • it was a limited list of games, 212 in North America at launch
  • you had to have a hard drive
  • you had to download a patch for each BC game
  • The games had a tendency to be glitchy, performance could be poor and you would get crashes
But still, yeah, it was there, and it was better than nothing at all, which was what we got at the beginning of generation 8. I think I only used it a few times and I never actually completed an entire game with it. It was easier to just boot up my OG Xbox.

The patch wasnt per game, it was actually just the main emulation package that they updated periodically as it got better/more games got added.
But yeah, it was pretty patchy even at the time, I kind of felt it was only for Halo 2, which actually got really good solid support and ran better than on OG.

Most of the OG games looked so rough by the time we had moved to HD AND 16:9 on all games on 360

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
They'll cut off the previous consoles as usual. Nintendo did it and it's selling like hot cakes, meaning consumers still accept being screwed over.
Developers in the long run won't develop game for the ps4/Xbox one, that's just how things are.
My point was that when I buy the new hardware I bring my games (and controllers on xbox, hopefully ps5) with me. I know that eventually things get phased out because of power limitations.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
The GPU could be arround 4TF but the CPU will be better, it will have a SDD (and hopefully the games will take advantege of that). The console will be obvious much powerfull than PRO and X.
I Doubt that switch 2 match the the PS4/xbox (base models) so even the Pro will be away beyond

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I doubt it's even that much.

Why didn't that apply to PS3 exclusives when Sony had sold 100 million PS2 consoles?

At that time Sony crippled their lead in the market by building a bespoke architecture for the PS3 that completely stopped any opportunity for backwards compatibility.

If you think they'll make that mistake again that's cool, I don't though.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
If developers make their games with the PS5/Scarlett as the baseline spec and then port down to Lockhart months later, that's one thing. If developers make games with Lockhart as the baseline spec and all the PS5/Scarlett do is run higher resolution Lockhart games, that's a huge problem.

If Lockhart is treated as a separate platform like the Switch then it won't be an issue. If MS mandates that all Scarlett games have to run on Lockhart, developers obviously won't be able to take advantage of the PS5/Scarlett fully. That's the problem. This won't be a issue for first-party Sony games but for third-party games and literally everything on MS' side, it could seriously hold things back.

Just because the Switch exists doesn't mean they make the games for the switch first and then upres it for Xbox One and Playstation 4 so why would they do that with Lockhart? Do we anticipate Lockhart being the market leader above PlayStation 5 or something? At least Lockhart should have the same CPU. I don't see the problem. I guess PlayStation 2 was holding back the Xbox original? The power Gap was probably bigger then.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just because the Switch exists doesn't mean they make the games for the switch first and then upres it for Xbox One and Playstation 4 so why would they do that with Lockhart? Do we anticipate Lockhart being the market leader above PlayStation 5 or something? At least Lockhart should have the same CPU. I don't see the problem. I guess PlayStation 2 was holding back the Xbox original? The power Gap was probably bigger then.
Difference is what was said is that MS would mandate Devs to develop for both from the start. And the CPU/ram will be lesser too.

PS2 held back multiplatform games on the original Xbox, yes.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
If we're going to talk about the parallels between Switch and Lockhart. The undocked + docked mode is a perfect analogy.

Switch GPU undocked perf is 42% of it's docked perf. The ram bandwidth can be lowered proportionally.
Lowering the CPU and ram allocation for games might have introduced some transition lag / extra developer head aches. Is it even possible to turn off portions of the LPDDR4 ram dynamically?

Switch developers have to account for this scaling in real time.

Lockhart GPU and ram bandwidth is around 40% of the Anacondas. Ram is 75%. CPU is likely at least 60%. It's not an outlandish comparison to compare to Lockhart / Anaconda to Switch's undocked / docked transitions. Expect one is a transition you handle at compile time, the other one you have to handle in real time.

Jun 23, 2019
Supposedly not. According to Schreier on the latest episode of his podcast, MS is mandating that if a dev wants to launch on one SKU of the next Xbox, they have to launch on both.

I hope this isn't true. That's bullshit of the highest level and reminds me of when MS didn't want to do indie deals/ports unless the game came to then with content exclusively for Xbox.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this isn't true. That's bullshit of the highest level and reminds me of when MS didn't want to do indie deals/ports unless the game came to then with content exclusively for Xbox.
It undermines the whole point if it isn't mandatory. It's not really that different than not being able create a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X only game.

Jun 23, 2019
It undermines the whole point if it isn't mandatory. It's not really that different than not being able create a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X only game.

Last time I checked, games built with Pro or 1X in mind were possibly compromised by having PS4/Xbone versions. We don't know thetrue specs or how this will affect the base games. Remember, it's easier to port up, then to port down.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Last time I checked, games built with Pro or 1X in mind were possibly compromised by having PS4/Xbone versions. We don't know thetrue specs or how this will affect the base games. Remember, it's easier to port up, then to port down.
I'm talking about the principle of making it mandatory to be compatible. Not making it mandatory would be worse for what they're going for.

Last edited:

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Being Xcloud is built on S's (not X's), I'm going to assume Lockhart was primarily conceived as a cost cutting measure for "next-gen Xcloud". Presumably they're also planning a "Pro" tier subscription for Scarlett level Xcloud hardware, relegating Lockhart to the free tier (or perhaps mobile device streams).

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
They'll cut off the previous consoles as usual. Nintendo did it and it's selling like hot cakes, meaning consumers still accept being screwed over.
Developers in the long run won't develop game for the ps4/Xbox one, that's just how things are.

...as usual?

Sony has made 6 systems, including the PS1.

of those 5 systems that could theoretically support BC, 4 of them do. (The PS2, the PS3, the PSP, the Vita).
Only the PS4 doesn't, and that's largely because the jaguar CPU is too weak to emulate the cell processor.

There's no reason to assume the PS5 wouldn't have BC- especially since Sony has already been clear on it. Microsoft, same thing.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
...as usual?

Sony has made 6 systems, including the PS1.

of those 5 systems that could theoretically support BC, 4 of them do. (The PS2, the PS3, the PSP, the Vita).
Only the PS4 doesn't, and that's largely because the jaguar CPU is too weak to emulate the cell processor.

There's no reason to assume the PS5 wouldn't have BC- especially since Sony has already been clear on it. Microsoft, same thing.
I'm talking about new games not running on older systems.