• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah it only manages 60fps at 1080p and is 50% stronger than what would be in the Lockhart... That is bad don't you think if this is supposed to be a 1440 and even now as a 1080p machine that seems really bad.

I think the 1440p might have been for non-RT graphically non-intensive games.
For RT games it'll be 960x1080p temporal upscaled to 1080p. Even though the GPU is ~40% less than the RX 2060, we probably can see good results for RT games at 1080p.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Xbox One & PS4 only have a small difference between them, Lockhart v PS5 will be a massive difference, devs will always make the weakest console the baseline.
I was talking more so about exclusives. I don't know about third parties, I mean no one really does.
As with all things, time will tell.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
What are you talking about? You can't use an Xbox One X because it won't have the same basic level of hardware needed by Lockhart in order to play the same games as Anaconda. You need an updated piece of hardware in order to play games moving forward. That doesn't mean Xbox One games won't work on Lockhart and Anaconda, but Scarlett games in general won't work on an Xbox One.

I think 1st party MS games will work on XB1 for a few more years natively, and pretty much forever on later on via xCloud.

MrAlderson

Apr 19, 2018
They compete in price/performance but purely on hardware I don't think they've ever been this far behind Nvidia since maybe the 3000 series. You have to remember AMD currently has an entire node jump to their advantage and still they can't beat Nvidia's cards on the old node in performance/watt.
The cards that are out currently were never targeted to beat Nvidia's top end so of course they would be behind, high end navi is not coming until next year

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
over the top much? Xbox has really dropped the ball this gen. they don't have the clout to bully devs into gimping their games for their weaker version.
Lol, considering you apparently know the future, no I don't think it's over the top.

We have no idea what Lockhart really is. Nothing concrete. Why the hell are we in "the world is doomed!" mode already?

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I'd happily take a digital only system if it's got the most power. Neither of my XOne systems have ever had a disc inserted.

My PS4 has only ever had one disc, what a mistake... I thought my entertainment center was about to launch into space...

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I'd happily take a digital only system if it's got the most power. Neither of my XOne systems have ever had a disc inserted.

My PS4 has only ever had one disc, what a mistake... I thought my entertainment center was about to launch into space...
One physical game was fine.
Then I went and made the mistake of getting a second...

MrAlderson

Apr 19, 2018
Remind me again when they were ahead of Nvidia when it comes to pushing anything new and "beating" them so to speak?

10... 15 years ago or something?
Who said they're currently beating them? All i said was dont count them out. AMD's top mid range card is only 37% slower than Nvidia's top end that says a lot.
High end cards are still coming...

Jun 23, 2019
Great post. Thank you for your insight and yes, I agree with you completely.

I honestly hope that the reports are incorrect and that Microsoft is simply releasing "Xbox Scarlett" and "Xbox Scarlett without the disc drive".

It sure doesn't look like it, though.

The crazy thing is that you legitimately have people in the other thread taking Chubigans' post and saying that because he's on the outside looking in, his opinion basically isn't valid, even though he's a developer and it's sad.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
What I don't get is why just MS release a disc less Scarlette and lower the price by $50 (which they will make up in the long run with Gold and Ultimate). If Scarlette and PS5 launch at the same price, then MS just undercut the competition w/o buyers having compromise on the specs.

There is no place for rationale discussion and such insight in thread like this :)

IIRC, you were the one who alleged that Pro was not powerful enough to warrant Obsidian doing enhancements for Outer Wilds. It's quite the rich take from you now.

Reminds me of SpinningBirdKick, seldom veiled fanboyism BS draped in the rag of rationality and concern trolling.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess we'll see how it works out. I personally don't think it makes sense but I guess they could just kill the less successful model off if it becomes an issue.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox customers weren't asking for VR

But apparently they're asking for cloud gaming and inferior cheaper console model that will hold next gen back.

publishers and devs should push back against this Even threaten to abandon the platform.
lmfaooooo

what world are you living in

this console will let more people play their games, theyll be pushing back against you

Dec 8, 2018
I think the 1440p might have been for non-RT graphically non-intensive games.
For RT games it'll be 960x1080p temporal upscaled to 1080p. Even though the GPU is ~40% less than the RX 2060, we probably can see good results for RT games at 1080p.

So a checkerboard less than 1080p machine is what we have to look forward to in 2020 is that what you are saying?

Whatyearisthis.jpeg

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
lmfaooooo

what world are you living in

this console will let more people play their games, theyll be pushing back against you
Yep, a two console solution is a pro-consumer move. Something I thought Era was all for.
There are concerns on the dev side, but we really don't know enough to say anything remotely concrete.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
this is gonna be 200 bucks cheaper, isn't it

if it wasn't, there'd be no point. last gen already had cheaper base models but afaik they didn't sell as much.

not a fan. imagine what would happen when they eventually release a Pro sku. three skus XD

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Diskless and cloud I get, but creating 2 specs fracturing your userbase doesn't make sense

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Kind of weird to see the influx of "Pro-consumer" argument. I mean, yea, technically, I guess it is. Should MS really launch the presumed spec'd Lockhart model, it will be interesting to see the split in consumer base down the line.

I just hope it doesn't ship with platter drive. Heck, let it all be the same save the lack of optical drive and a weaker GPU.

Thanks for the personal attack, appreciated :)

You're welcome. I was talking about SpinningBirdKick in the part you quoted. If you took it to mean yourself, well.. you do you.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
You're welcome. I was talking about SpinningBirdKick in the part you quoted. If you took it to mean yourself, well.. you do you.

I mean, you clearly compared the poster to SpinngBirdKick in the qualities you posted. If you didn't mean to, then damn that was a badly phrased sentence.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
elenarie
How much, as a dev at a company making high profile games stressing the hardware of consoles, do you see the problem that because of Lockhart the Scarlett versions will look worse compared to the PS5 versions?
Thanks.

It's actually a lovely weather outside. Just above 0, still a bunch of snow everywhere, with a bit of a chilly wind, but not too bad. Luckily I got to the store before they closed, so was able to buy some detergent that I needed for the laundry.

How about you, doing good?

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people are going to take note that their arguments for how games can't scale well and can't take advantage of Hardware and features are going to be absolutely obliterated when Halo Infinite and the next Forza drop and they see the games taking advantage of all the hardware versions and shining on Anaconda on day one.
Completely agree. So much ado about what will amount to very little. Will there be some more work necessary on the devs' part to ensure scalability? Sure, but PC games have been developed as such for years.

Dec 8, 2018
Are u still confident after phils tweet

They always said backwards compatibility was in it for all games when it comes to Scarlett so him playing old games on new hardware is not surprising at all just as playing 360 on the Xbox one is a thing.

However if we are talking pure next gen games developed for the Scarlett family and PS5 you are in for a bad surprise because your X is missing both the CPU and SSD that those games will take advantage of and developers will build there games around. Even if you had a 15tflop Xbox one X it would not matter because you would be CPU bound and the transfer rate of the SSD in the new machines completely makes the games impossible to render using the X.

I am sure there will be some third party games and perhaps a few first party games that will be cross gen in the beginning but games build around the new hardware will look and run completely different from the ones that are cross gen and also be impossible to port.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I wanted to post one big thoughts post. I posted earlier in here but I wanted to combine everything.

I am concerned the price for the worst one will still be too high. Microsoft never makes the right decision with price. It's always 50-100 dollars too expensive.

I think it makes sense that they want a cheaper model. I find it interesting that they want to make the CPU updated and the SSD included. Clearly the point of it is to make a device with a worse GPU and downgrade visual fidelity. You get access to the games and the performance, but you lose 4K with big AAA games.

I think the marketing for this will not go as smoothly as they think. MS can't toe (tow?) the line. They need to explicitly and clearly state that this Lockhart is the trashcan of the litter. They need to explain the limitations of the machine to the general audience. Then they need to explain why it exists. I still think people will ignore it. I don't understand who it's for. People who want to take the plunge on a new machine day one but don't have the money? Is the gap there really that large? Are there people who are willing to invest in a new product that is CLEARLY INFERIOR because they save $100? I don't know. Seems a bit of a reach.

To me, this reads as Microsoft (a) being unable to get to $399 for Anaconda and (b) being unable to confirm they have the power advantage internally. I think they know they're close to PS5, but they're not completely sure. Microsoft doesn't want to come out with one SKU that's $100 more expensive that is potentially slightly weaker than its competitor without being able to say "bro, check out the trash can box". I'm not saying the trash SKU doesn't have value, it does, but it's clearly a guard for them when it comes to messaging. I don't think it will work. Early adopters aren't stupid. They are on these forums and youtube daily and they recognize the differences and know what to compare. If PS5 is better and cheaper than Anaconda, the world will light up like it's 2013 all over again and Phil will likely leave within two years (he will likely leave within two years if they succeed too tbh). If they can somehow get this thing to "holy crap that's cheap" levels of cheap ($200-250), then they will succeed just fine, but I heavily heavily heavily doubt that it will be that cheap.

I worry about where game designers are going for next gen and if this will handcuff them. I don't know what next gen devs are looking for, maybe CPU and SSD is enough so games can push 60 fps. IF that's all they're hoping for and visuals don't cognizably increase in fidelity, then maybe Lockhart makes a lot of sense. Maybe Lockhart has a lifespan of 1-2 years and it will help bridge the gap. I just see people hear writing things down and it just saddens me how complicated things are now sounding from the developer side. I hope they do not alienate developers. Because then PS5 pulls ahead again and we move closer to a one-man show with less games and creativity in the medium. I want a neck and neck race with unique bombastic games from all developers involved. That's my dream.

Last thought/prediction: I think the introduction of Lockhart will not ruin anything. I think it will exist and silently sell copies to casuals who invested some money in the last Xbox. I think the real battle here and everywhere will still be Anaconda and PS5. Lockhart is just a guard for them if Sony one-ups the Anaconda price at E3

Dec 8, 2018
It's actually a lovely weather outside. Just above 0, still a bunch of snow everywhere, with a bit of a chilly wind, but not too bad. Luckily I got to the store before they closed, so was able to buy some detergent that I needed for the laundry.

How about you, doing good?

Don't mind mind him but you could always tell me instead since I live in Sweden (as I am guessing that is also were you are) and could need something to help me through these dark moths... plz