• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
To be clear, a lot of Microsoft-focused reporters including Brad Sams, Digital Foundry, and Tom Warren reported over the summer that Lockhart was dead. Short of some widespread effort to fool those press, it's clear that Microsoft changed plans. And anyone who's been following gaming for the past decade knows that Microsoft changes plans just about as often as I change my daughter's diapers. So it's not really fair to say that anyone was "wrong" about Lockhart one way or another. All that matters right now is that it's still in the works.

Would it suprise you if let's say by E3 Lockhart is dead again?

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know that the CPU, SSD, and RAM are exactly the same between Lockhart and Anaconda?

Tom posted an article with a bit more detail.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/4/...ect-scarlett-lockhart-anaconda-launch-details

We understand both Anaconda and Lockhart will share familiar next-gen hardware. Sources say that Lockhart will get a next-gen CPU, but that it will be clocked slower than what's available on Anaconda. This should mean developers can take advantage of the SSD and CPU upgrades that are planned for Anaconda in games that span across both next-gen Xbox consoles.

From what I see here, the massive bottleneck outlined will not be apparent. The CPU is unlikely to be clocked massively lower and the CPU and SSD are the biggest jumps to next gen.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
I wonder if Microsoft's strategy is-
  1. Get off of the Xbox One's architecture as quickly as possible (basically a fresh start, no baggage)
  2. Undercut Sony on the "next gen" console price with Lockheart (even if it's inferior to the PS5)
  3. Go for the super high end (more expensive than the PS5) for Anaconda to calm the "best next gen experience on Xbox" crown
  4. Associate it all with the Xbox brand so no matter if you get the low end Lockheart console you're still in "the next gen"
The architecture switch may actually be important. Xbox One having a much smaller base makes an architecture break much easier. I see a lot of comments about Sony making next gen games starting with PS5, but I highly doubt they would stop making games for the PS4/Pro given the 100+ million install base. I could see continued PS4/Pro development being an achilles for PS5 more so than Xbox.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
That isn't what's happening here though. PS5/Scarlett are basically equal and are going to have to cater to much weaker hardware.
The Lockhart is a horrible idea and I hope it backfires on MS.

If it would've just been a discless, cheaper Scarlett, no one would have cared.
Simply removing the disc doesn't magically cut $200 off the price. "cater to" ffs you make it sound like game scalability isn't a thing that's been a part of pc's forever.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That isn't what's happening here though. PS5/Scarlett are basically equal and are going to have to cater to much weaker hardware.
The Lockhart is a horrible idea and I hope it backfires on MS.

If it would've just been a discless, cheaper Scarlett, no one would have cared.

WHy are they going to have to cater to weaker hardware...that simply doesnt happen. Are you saying the ps4 was heald back due to the xbox one......Doom was held back becuase it came out on the switch???

Games will be ported down to lockhart not the other way around.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Jason's article states that Lockhart is much less powerful than Anaconda/PS5 and that some devs are worried it'll hamper their next gen ambitions. That's really all you need to know.

If I was a Dev and this was MSs strategy I would havea discussion with them to ensure that this direction will not be allowed to tarnish our vision ona project.

The Dev should be able to make the game they want. MS should have to look after porting down to the console in most cases, or create tools for it. It's not fair to do anything else otherwise.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Tom posted an article with a bit more detail.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/4/...ect-scarlett-lockhart-anaconda-launch-details

From what I see here, the massive bottleneck outlined will not be apparent. The CPU is unlikely to be clocked massively lower and the CPU and SSD are the biggest jumps to next gen.
Thanks. Hopefully that means developers will be able to maximize the scope of their games on Anaconda and PS5 and then simply dial back the graphics settings and resolution to get it on Lockhart. Tbh Lockhart appeals to me, I'm not interested in upgrading to 4K anytime soon.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jason's article states that Lockhart is much less powerful than Anaconda/PS5 and that some devs are worried it'll hamper their next gen ambitions. That's really all you need to know.

Yeah and those same devs also don't know details on what Lockhart means. Next gen will be defined by the CPU and SSD. A developer having to turn down resolution from 4k to 1440 and graphic settings to medium should not make them pull their hair out.

I have yet to hear someone explain to me how having a lower setting GPU will be the Achilles heel of the generation. If the box can't run something it doesn't get it turned on.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if we've been underselling how expensive next gen is gonna be. Seems like everyone agrees that 500 is probably what next gen console would run you but what if it was actually 600?

Nov 11, 2017
The devs in Jason's article dont even know what they're talking about comparing, a 4tf RDNA2 gpu to the pro is embarrassing. Not to mention the SSD/CPU upgrade

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you have the same CPU, same SSD speed and same RAM what is the big issue for devs on the target. Games can have the same scope but with lower targeted resolutions and less features for lockhart and more for anaconda.

Don't they already do this if they release on PC? And here with the same ssd, cpu and ram they can still go crazy with scope. Am I missing something here?
This means no 1080p games on the stronger Xbox that really push graphics basically

stronger Xbox will just be higher resolution games of the weaker xbox

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As a developer I'll tell you why I absolutely hate the idea of Lockhart.

When you go into the next generation of any console, it is always a premium buy-in. Some are ready day one to pay whatever price for next gen, whether that's $399 or $599.

Let's talk about $599. The PS3 did not launch at $599. It launched at $499, with a SKU that was the same base hardware but lesser hard drive space, no extra media slots, and a few other extras that didn't make the cut. Growth of the PS3 didn't start happening until a new $499 SKU was introduced that had more limited backwards compatibility and features.

Think about that for a minute: why would sales growth occur at $499 when the system launched at $499 to begin with? Because the new $499 system wasn't marketed as an "inferior" step down from the $599 version. It was the new PS3 SKU going forward. And because of that, people perceived the price at $499. Then we had the $399 PS3, and so on.

Microsoft wants it all, day one. They want the premium super hardware buyers. They want the soccer moms. They want the kids who only get one big gift per year. They want the busy traveler that can only game in the cloud. They want the subscription junkie that only plays through Game Pass. They think they can get there with two SKUs: one super premium console that's maybe $499 and one lesser console for $399. The market won't see the $399 console because again, the next gen buy-in at launch is ALWAYS PREMIUM. The perception will be the high end SKU is the true next gen console, and it won't be until that one declines in price that you'll see a bigger audience coming into the Xbox ecosystem.

The ramifications for a lesser SKU are huge, just like the Xbox Core/Arcade. You're already seeing that now with Xbox One X/S- some recent games like the Outer Worlds look worse on XB1X than PS4 Pro because they're upscaled ports of XB1S. You will see a LOT of that if there are two SKUs on the market, guaranteed. The premium Xbox will be a worse console because of the existence of Lockhart. Meanwhile, the PS5 has nothing other than itself to scale for, and that's huge.

But wait you say, Apple does this with the iPhone Pro and the standard colorful iPhones! You cannot bring the phone market into the console one. The comparison makes no sense. Eventually, at some point, you will need a new phone. You need it to basically live in this day and age. Sony and MS already have an uphill battle marketing and selling next gen because of the PS4 Pro and XB1X. It will be more difficult showing off amazing looking games because we're already playing amazing looking games. They have to get there with features, with quality of life features, with things that will cause this next gen to be a much slower start than I think this gen was. When your main selling point is less features at a lower price with Lockhart, you have a severe problem.

I hope they don't do this. This feels like marketing and executives meddling in the video game space. It feels aimless and stupid.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm guessing... after seeing this... https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...-review-image-quality-better-than-ps4.157022/ the Switch held back the PS4 version? /s
gZInQaT.jpg

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Just imagine a world where the cheaper discless version is the same power as the ps5....or within 10 percent...then theres a beast mode more expensive version. would be interesting.

Tom's last comment and the list of rumoured dev kit specs does makes me consider if this could be the current situation.
They can then have a "budget" machine in the same power class as PS5 and a premium 4K 60fps machine. Kind of like we had core/premium 360 and we now have IPhone XR and XS.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Thanks. Hopefully that means developers will be able to maximize the scope of their games on Anaconda and PS5 and then simply dial back the graphics settings and resolution to get it on Lockhart. Tbh Lockhart appeals to me, I'm not interested in upgrading to 4K anytime soon.
I would've considered trading my one x for a lockheart. But that's not happening without a disc drive.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
WHy are they going to have to cater to weaker hardware...that simply doesnt happen. Are you saying the ps4 was heald back due to the xbox one......Doom was held back becuase it came out on the switch???

Games will be ported down to lockhart not the other way around.
If you honestly think a 4 to 11-12 tflops discrepancy won't bring about consessions, especially if thoes high-end machines are pushed go their limits, I don't know what to tell you.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1440p isn't the worst thing in the world.

The bigger issue is what if devs already planned to target the higher spec machine for lower res gameplay then checkerboard up to 4k, using all that extra processing power for extra raytracing and other enhancements?

You sort of force them to use the overhead on resolution or framerate and not much else. That's the biggest potential loss with this news.

4k isn't that big of a deal... but using all that extra GPU power to help what is assumed to be an already capable CPU to perform essential gameplay related functions could have really been a boon to developers.

Relegating the overhead over the base console to just resolution or maybe framerate is such a waste. But now it's sort of mandatory... just like it is on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

Last edited:

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
What if Lockhart is specifically designed for their data centers and devs have kits so they can run that as a streaming version vs the full local version?

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

When you go into the next generation of any console, it is always a premium buy-in. Some are ready day one to pay whatever price for next gen, whether that's $399 or $599.

Let's talk about $599. The PS3 did not launch at $599. It launched at $499, with a SKU that was the same base hardware but lesser hard drive space, no extra media slots, and a few other extras that didn't make the cut. Growth of the PS3 didn't start happening until a new $499 SKU was introduced that had more limited backwards compatibility and features.

Think about that for a minute: why would sales growth occur at $499 when the system launched at $499 to begin with? Because the new $499 system wasn't marketed as an "inferior" step down from the $599 version. It was the new PS3 SKU going forward. And because of that, people perceived the price at $499. Then we had the $399 PS3, and so on.

Microsoft wants it all, day one. They want the premium super hardware buyers. They want the soccer moms. They want the kids who only get one big gift per year. They want the busy traveler that can only game in the cloud. They want the subscription junkie that only plays through Game Pass. They think they can get there with two SKUs: one super premium console that's maybe $499 and one lesser console for $399. The market won't see the $399 console because again, the next gen buy-in at launch is ALWAYS PREMIUM. The perception will be the high end SKU is the true next gen console, and it won't be until that one declines in price that you'll see a bigger audience coming into the Xbox ecosystem.

The ramifications for a lesser SKU are huge, just like the Xbox Core/Arcade. You're already seeing that now with Xbox One X/S- some recent games like the Outer Worlds look worse on XB1X than PS4 Pro because they're upscaled ports of XB1S. You will see a LOT of that if there are two SKUs on the market, guaranteed. The premium Xbox will be a worse console because of the existence of Lockhart. Meanwhile, the PS5 has nothing other than itself to scale for, and that's huge.

But wait you say, Apple does this with the iPhone Pro and the standard colorful iPhones! You cannot bring the phone market into the console one. The comparison makes no sense. Eventually, at some point, you will need a new phone. You need it to basically live in this day and age. Sony and MS already have an uphill battle marketing and selling next gen because of the PS4 Pro and XB1X. It will be more difficult showing off amazing looking games because we're already playing amazing looking games. They have to get there with features, with quality of life features, with things that will cause this next gen to be a much slower start than I think this gen was. When your main selling point is less features at a lower price with Lockhart, you have a severe problem.

I hope they don't do this. This feels like marketing and executives meddling in the video game space. It feels aimless and stupid.
I'm not hearing $399 for Lockhart if it is a consumer product it'll be $299 at most.

Feb 10, 2018
If you're talking about GPU sim, there's stuff you could do that you wouldn't necessarily want to do on a Zen2 alone, and that would be feasible to do in a gameplay affecting way on console because of the single memory pool. I wouldn't say too many devs would be wanting to do 1080p games on Anaconda/PS5, but how about 1440p or other resolutions reconstructed to 4K? I think that's quite possible, and quite acceptable, if the dev wants to leave headroom for other non-graphics stuff on the GPU, or, to bump the per pixel complexity. I don't think 4K native is necessarily how every game should be going on Anaconda/PS5 - certainly I'd prefer devs to have the option to explore.

For purely graphics stuff - higher per pixel complexity at non-4K resolutions - of course, with Lockhart, there's nothing stopping devs still doing that on Anaconda, and having a separate render path on Lockhart if it doesn't scale down to a decent enough resolution there. But there may be an aversion to doing anything too fundamentally different per-pixel between the SKUs, or a lean toward sticking to simplicity. It's a complication and it's hard to predict in every case that the dev would do with Anaconda what they would have otherwise done if it was the only SKU to worry about.

If lockhart is aiming for 1440p for 4k anaconda content , a 1440p game on ps5/scarlett should be doable at 1080p with out to many comprises.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say that the only thing proved is that a very cheap console is attractive, not because of being only digital
The only way to use the console is with an online connection, and it still sold tremendously. Shows the environment for digital future is here or very close.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
How is this a hassle for developers? What is their bottleneck? If they release on PC they already have to do this but they can cap the resolution and turn up the features. Their scope will be defined by CPU, RAM and SSE all of which sucked last gen and are the same on both consoles. Worlds can still be massive and have all the features of next gen games just turned down.

GPU doesn't determine AI or scope or what you can do. It determines how pretty it can be. Games already get developed with switches. Capping resolution at 1440 should not mess up a ton of stuff if you already release on PC.

I feel like some of you are missing the main point.
The CPU seems to be less capable than the one in Scarlett, according to the article. Sure, much better than current gen, but that's not much of an achievement. I hope It's at least close.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Please look up GPU compute.

Im sorry, but could you expand? I know about GPU compute but I can't think of a single game that was GPU bound when trying to simulate AI or something like that.
What games do you know that use GPU computing where a strong GPU is essential for the game to work?

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really have some flashbacks on how PS neo was received on the old place.
I wish people were more open minded to something new in the industry because right now we just don't know how it will turn out.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is kinda like releasing a PS4 and
PS4 pro at the same time

except the jump from last gen is a lot smaller

microsofts base line gpu is increasing from 1.3 Tflops to 4 Tflops, that's not a very large jump from one gen to another

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The CPU seems to be less capable than the one in Scarlett, according to the article. Sure, much better than current gen, but that's not much of an achievement. I hope It's at least close.

Looks like its the same CPU with a slower clock. How much slower is TBD, but I can't imagine significantly slower. They want the same structure but likely the CPUs that didn't make Scarlett on clocks.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Simply removing the disc doesn't magically cut $200 off the price. "cater to" ffs you make it sound like game scalability isn't a thing that's been a part of pc's forever.

The devs that have voiced concerns (and presumably with devkits in hand) over this shackling their ambitions are better placed to judge the impact of this, hence the worry.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Holy shit what happened that made this thread 15 pages?

Wish this was like Blizzard's forums were I can read an abridged summary of what transpired.

If it's same power as the 4k UHD version I'll just go discless. I'll always have the X or PS5 For UHD movies.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do any video games utilize GPU compute? I thought GPU compute was tied to significant number crunching and wasn't ever tapped into for gaming applications.

Happy to see where its been used before.

videogames use gpu compute extremely heavily -- but still mostly just to make things pretty (superficial cloth sim, cached vertex animations, cosmetic destruction, etc)

Feb 10, 2018
Things worked out ok because that is a whole different situation, this is not a PS4-PS4 Pro case, this is like releasing a 1.8 TFLOP PS4 targetting 1080p and a lower specced 1TFLOP PS4 "lite" targetting 720p at the same time. The perfect recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Would that of been really so bad though?
That's not much different to the x1 specs, and uncharted 4 ran at 60fps at 900p in mp, I don't see why Sony games and 3rd party could of been 720p @1tf

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

The console market is becoming more PC like and I think this last generation has started to condition people to that reality. The fact that we had two tier consoles now will help make this more acceptable moving forward into the next generation. I don't think conceptually there's anything wrong with trying to appeal to a wider and broader audience. This should actually be a good thing and we shouldn't have to be making it only cater to the hardcore elite. Building a wider audience and install base more quickly seems in general like a good thing and I don't think you can use the past history of consoles here to say it's a bad thing when we've already opened that door with mid generation consoles and having two levels of hardware for a current gen platform available.