• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
That's not how it works. Developers currently build on the X1X Development Kit which is a suped-up X1X: 24Gigs of RAM, more powerful GPU, NVMe SSD..... then they downscale to the X1X and X1S. It's FAR easier to downscale than upscale games.
No they don't. We have proof with games like Outer Worlds that devs are developing for Xbox s and scaling it up to the x. Do you not remember the grass debacle.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
My first reaction to Lockhart being back

giphy.gif
lol

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
They are. How do you think this leaked?
It just seems there's still uncertainty on what all the compromises will be compared to Anaconda. Same amount of RAM, same speed of RAM? Same speed or size SSD? How much of a differential in CPU?

There's enough confidence to say ~10TF and ~4TF, why not around the other components?

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BTW, the fact that multiple outlets had this story at the same time suggests it is a controlled leak.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand the concern over the weaker SKU affecting game development and I don't think Xbox fanboys should be dismissing those complaints.

After all, developing for different specs is exactly why PC gaming has lagged so far behind consoles in terms of graphical and technical achievement for 30 years.

tenor.gif

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
Not only that, but as has been discussed in other threads, 4tf on a next gen GPU is greater than 4tf on the PS4 Pro GPU.
This too. I think we'll see different performance metrics this gen. We saw that with Nvidia measuring RTX-OPS for its RTX cards, and you gotta imagine Microsoft will be stretching the performance lines with something similar.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Who cares about resolution . I m talking about more interactive worlds more destruction etc
Witcher 3 runs on the Switch.

I really think people are overestimating how big of an impact Lockhart will have on next gen games. Especially if it has the same cpu and ssd found in PS5 and XB2

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Unless MS has adopted some magical porting process between the 2 I'm not sold on this idea. If devs don't like it then I don't want it.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cpu aside it feels like developers will still be developing game's on last gen specs for another 7 years

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
lol this elitist attitude is so hilarious on Era. People just want their cake, fuck the poor. There is a huge amount of people who can't afford a premium console, it's terrible for them if there isn't a cheaper option.
Fuck the poor? lol. Nah, this ain't it. Should we re-christen him Philanthropy Spencer for doing the poor a favour letting them in to next gen early? hah, no. "The poor" can't afford live and gamepass and day one digital pricing. An all digital future is a middle finger to those of us who have less disposable income. there's not going to be $1 gamepass deals forever, then "the poor" are fucked, locked into a single source for new software - subscription or day 1 digital pricing.

If Lockhart is weak, this is massively short term thinking and will gimp the entire generation. If Lockhart really is a thing, Spencer's rhetoric concerning not caring where people game as long as they're in the ecosystem is a fallacy. They're basically saying they'll poison the whole next gen well in order to get higher sales and hardware install base. Balls to that - it was just about looking like we'd have the most exciting gen hardware-wise for quite some time. Now Microsoft are saying "bring the gimp".

Anyone who wants next gen to be the best it can be should want anaconda vs ps5 and nothing lowly dragging them down - that's where we'll get the best games possible. PC gamers, too. Games are designed with limitations in mind. If this thing gets realized and sells well, it'll be a case of dial up the fx and shiip it for the others. That's fucked.

I hope devs push back hard on Lockhart. In fact, I really hope this is just Microsoft testing the waters again to gauge what the reception might be like in light of their firesale SAD numbers in Europe over BF. I can see what they might be thinking, but wanting to buy in to xb at teh end of a gen for 99 euros plus a few more for gamepass, in orrder to catch up on a load of stuff you missed is one thing. Expecting them to show up the same way day one is another entirely.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Look at my other posts. I explain why this won't work out how you think it will due to this move being at the outset of a new console generation.

It's effective result will be the blurring of generations (i.e. a half step), since having many console spec targets to develop for usually means developing for the lowest common denominator and scaling performance / res up.

you're only making an ass of yourself right now, fyi.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
This too. I think we'll see different performance metrics this gen. We saw that with Nvidia measuring RTX-OPS for its RTX cards, and you gotta imagine Microsoft will be stretching the performance lines with something similar.
Is there any indications that there will be a difference in RAM in speed or size? How about SSD speeds?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It just seems there's still uncertainty on what all the compromises will be compared to Anaconda. Same amount of RAM, same speed of RAM? Same speed or size SSD? How much of a differential in CPU?

There's enough confidence to say ~10TF and ~4TF, why not around the other components?

Just because it's not public/leaked info doesn't mean they don't know.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Physical is truly ending next gen isn't it?

:(

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I hope this doesn't happen at launch. I want Xbox to not be the brand that holds back multiplatform games this time.
Hopefully developers ignore it completely.
We really need to stop posting garbage posts like these at one point.

Back when this generation started and Sony and Ms opted to make Playstation and Xbox consoles more PC like, (x86 and all that) and that is why games are more scalable. Just like it had been in the PC space for more than 20 years in which devs make a game and they run on hundreds of devices, that is why systems like the X and the pro exist.

This isn't like before where devs are trying to work on some foreign architecture like the cell while they also work on next gen.

No "Brand" even held back games THIS gen. This is just either concern trolling or console only player ignorance?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
If Anaconda is similar to PS5, maybe it won't be a problem. Wouldn't that make the base line PS5 and Anaconda? If expectations are the Lockhart is supposed to be weaker?

The issue might come in if it's an overall sandwich strategy with specs too with PS5 in the middle. Where would the base line be then?

Interesting times ahead....
A lot of "devs will just downgrade effects a bit, NBD" and "OMG this completely ruins the scope of next gen games, devs cannot work around this" extreme comments. I wonder if any developers will go on record on how such a hardware setup would impact the way they make games.

Maybe not on record, but check the next gen thread. And this one. I don't know if you seen any posts yet, I have. I'm trying to post before this thread grows.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
They will have to by necessity though. The cheaper console is always going to outsell the more expensive one by a huge margin.

Microsoft is killing the next-gen scope with this move, it's sickening me.

Well yeah, agreed, their holding back next gen games, for third parties really.

I mean, wont Sony first party just be leagues ahead then?

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
mh, sounds like Xbox will sports a more advanced RT solution than the PS5 one

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Yeah

except we just had the Xbox One S and One X

this is just the Xbox One S All-Digital next gen and Xbox One X next gen
Yep, and the memory configuration of the OG X1/X1S is FAR different from the X1X..... yet developers managed to make games for both. Lockhart/Scarlett will undoubtedly be the same architecture and a comparative walk in the park.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Witcher 3 runs on the Switch.

I really think people are overestimating how big of an impact Lockhart will have on next gen games. Especially if it has the same cpu and ssd found in PS5 and XB2

Well, it will have a weaker CPU apparently.

And Witcher ran on Switch after a substantial, after-the-fact port. Had they had to develop the game for Switch initially, for day and date with the other releases, I think it's hard to say it wouldn't have affected the game's scope or development on the other platforms.

I mean we'll see how the CPU turns out. But off the bat we can, at least, probably rule out any significant new lean into GPU compute next-gen, feeding back into game simulation. Which is a shame because the software tools on that front are coming along. We can probably rule out a lean into much higher per pixel complexity at lower resolutions, in favour of higher res and framerate on Anaconda. I mean there's nothing wrong with higher res and framerate, but it's nice if devs have the option to go in one direction or the other, depending on what they think they can achieve. (And I know, for graphics at least, devs could still parse off an Anaconda-only render path focused on better pixels instead of more pixels, but when you split the base, or set up the expectation of one SKU being 'the 4K sku', or whatever, that doesn't happen very much, as we saw with the Pro and X).

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Game developers will be expected to support both Anaconda and Lockhart, which some are worried might hamper their ambitions for next-gen games in the coming years.

Unless they have Lockhart targeting 1080p/20-30fps it would be better off dead. Forcing devs to target 1440p/60fps on such weak hardware (which will undoubtedly sell insanely well if priced as the entry level model) just hamstings and screws over the entire generation. Seriously, what are they thinking?

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I also think as tech improves, having the same baseline or similar in terms of CPU without it being a big bottleneck makes sense in the long run.
We have Alien Isolation on Switch looking better than the PS4 version in terms of IQ, checkerboarding is a thing down to even base Xbox One, even without special hardware to assist that, TAA making it hard to even do proper pixel counting for the specialized media outlets, and next gen we will see even more of that, like variable rate shading or perhaps even machine learned AA love Nvidia tries.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Discless and 1440p target makes me think this sku might be planned with xCloud servers in monde as a cheaper way to upgrade the current Xbox one S based generation as well as avoiding to put too much pressure on mass producing Anaconda.

Feb 10, 2018
It's going to be a very long gen for all the

"lockhart will hold games back" people 😆

Even if lockhart was not a thing, what kinda of hardware do you think it would take to run 4k ps5/Anaconda games at 1080/1440p?

What games this gen would not be able to run on a 500gflop with same cpu+ram at 540p? We see examples of this with the switch and PC games.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
This is bad news for next gen games. They will have to be designed around the limitation of shit tier hardware. Games will always be limited by the weakest hardware they are designed on. That's why we see a huge jump of games quality and scope when cross gen games fizzle out.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kinda confused why people are surprised here.

Lockhart was discussed long ago. Even if it was supposedly cancelled, it was still in discussion before that.

Weren't people fine back then? Let the market decide.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
ITT, people act like cards like the GTX 1060 super will not still be supported for 5 more years...

AMD is about to RELEASE the RX 5500... Nvidia will release the RX 2050...