• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I reeeeeeeally hope the weaker hardware doesn't force developers to design inferior experiences to support it.

I don't see an issue with cross gen stuff and continuing to support the Xbox One while also pushing true next gen exclusives, but mixing it like this is going to be horrible if it happens.

Oct 28, 2017
Physical media can still be kind of cool around Black Friday. Fallen Order's limping performance on X1S is enough to have me avoid the weaker model this time around. Just not worth the extra $100 or so discount in the long run

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Lots of crow to serve in the next gen thread.

Edit: I am not sure about the 1440p thing, why not just stick to 1080p? Looks great on 4k.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
My first reaction to Lockhart being back

giphy.gif

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
hmm. Lockhart might've been born out of necessity to have a lower price solution at launch. Which means that they are having trouble bringing down Scarlet's price to 499.

That also could mean that MS is really trying to bite Sony in the jugular in the power race and are going all in. I know everyone says that ps5 might have a slight edge, but this sound to me like MS might have a few surprises under its sleeve.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Thanks for ruining it for us Xbox. It was always a terrible idea to begin with. The all digital Xbox one also sold terribly.

disc drives aren't even that expensive so it makes no sense just to have on anyway.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft's Anaconda console will be the true next-gen leap, and sources tell The Verge that Microsoft is targeting more than 10 teraflops of graphical power on this particular console. Plans for Lockhart may change, but currently this console will debut with around 4 teraflops of graphical power.

488.gif

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
If they are looking for their low cost option that launches in 2021, I think this makes sense. Allows them to maintain a higher price point for their main console, and have the lower entry level without having to aggressively cut the price of their top of the line console.

I do think 2021 though; this won't be at launch as it will only confuse the issue at launch. (And allows them to cash in on the less price sensitive early adopters.)

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think common sense required clarification
"Common sense"...this doesn't really have any material meaning, being that this would be an unprecedented move from the perspective of a new console generation offering perspective.

If they are planning a massive gulf in price (say $299 VS $499)....I still think it would be better from a development perspective to offer one mid spec'd model (relative to the other 2 potential offerings) at $399.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Per The Verge:

Sources say that Lockhart will get a next-gen CPU, but that it will be clocked slower than what's available on Anaconda.

:/

I understand from a heat perspective why, but I hope it's not a substantial clock difference.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
This has significant potential. the true cost savings for MS aren't in the optical drive itself, which is worth pennies. It's in locking down digital sales, where they have a much better margin than with physical, where they have to split money with retailers.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Yep. Bigger picture it makes sense. SAD performance drives that home.

Yeah, Microsoft outright said the diskless Xbox One S was a trial ballon. I wouldn't be surprised if the reported strong sales of it during Black Friday solidified the release of this diskless Lockhart. Maybe that's why we are hearing this now.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Oh nice.....multigen all gen long. Can't wait to see devs have their games run like shit on the lower end model.

Oct 27, 2017
I reeeeeeeally hope the weaker hardware doesn't force developers to design inferior experiences to support it.

I don't see an issue with cross gen stuff and continuing to support the Xbox One while also pushing true next gen exclusives, but mixing it like this is going to be horrible if it happens.
This. This has a very high potential for happening if developers have too many platform variants to support. They will just target the lowest common denominator in that case, especially with a multitude of variants coming out of the gate initially splitting the base of users.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Microsoft outright said the diskless Xbox One S was a trial ballon. I wouldn't be surprised if the reported strong sales of it during Black Friday solidified the release of this diskless Lockhart. Maybe that's why we are hearing this now.

Such decision are made well in advance not after a week.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
This will probably have about the same amount of TFLOPS aka ~4.2 as the Pro, but based on RDNA thus being a good chunk faster.

I suppose it would make it more akin to a Xbox One X GPU wise given the 'perf-to-flop' ratios we've seen elsewhere for gcn vs rdna, which would be in line with earlier rumours about Lockhart.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Interesting move. But if games are underperforming on it compared to PS5 then its not going to be a good look at the start of a generation.

It seems MS whole strategy now revolves around gamepass, but unless they get the huge third party games day 1 like COD, FIFA and R* I don't think it will become the norm.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Wow! It almost seems like that one of the most reliable insiders on the industry that covers Microsoft for years was right and ERA armchair analysts were wrong.... who would thought of that, huh?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017