• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
As some one who owns a launch switch I'm seriously considering finally jailbreaking to rip my games to play on pc. The increase in performance alone justifies this alone. No need for a switch pro or whatever for me I'll just rip my games and play them on pc as I never really use the switch online so losing that functionality doesn't mean much to me.
Honestly in the same boat. I have a launch-day Switch with a large library of games (...probably 50+ now, I defaulted to getting things on Switch for a while). I've been putting it off just because I don't have immediate access to the jig necessary to put the thing in debug mode, and I'm wary about frying things with the paperclip method. But I am increasingly worried about the longevity of the system itself, and Nintendo hasn't come forward with a replacement that's a meaningful upgrade; I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on the OLED model when the Steam Deck offered so much more for a similar price.

The article here not even bothering to mention how to legitimately acquire a copy of the game is seriously eyebrow-raising, though. There must be millions of near-launch Switch units still floating around that can theoretically rip games, and most articles on emulation would at least have a "please actually buy the game" fig leaf.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of how the author wrote that article (not that there's a whole lot there). Emulation is NOT piracy, despite the attempt to interweave them together with that paragraph at the bottom. I'm content to play games on my Switch for now, but the fact that there are actively developed Switch emulators is great for the long-term. Why shouldn't I be able to take my Switch library at the end of the generation and dump it so that I can then emulate those games I already own on my PC, a Steam Deck, or whatever? Hell, what if I felt like doing it now to play in 4k 120fps? Crowd funding from Patreon has been a blessing for emulation development, and in 10+ years those efforts will be increasingly important when End of Life Switch hardware begins to physically die off and you're at the mercy of Nintendo's backwards compatibility, willingness to bring your physical and digital purchases forward to new generations of hardware, and perhaps even their willingness to continue selling those games at all.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
"But all you need is a Switch emulator and a decently powerful PC, and you can play Dread on your computer, right now."

You need a lot more than that if you don't want to be a fucking thief.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA can be quite exhausting sometimes..

Let me preface by saying that i love browsing ResetERA, but there are certain topics where you can feel an angry mob coming from a mile away.

Emulation has always been a problematic conversation within this circle, but funny enough that is the only place where i have seen it discussed the way it's discussed.

There is a LOT of hypocrisy from people, either not being aware of what the laws are in the different parts of the world, or the conditions that people live in those same parts of the world.

Whether you are okay with piracy, you do it yourself, or you are vehemently against it. Stop judging others when it's not your place to do it.

Some of these same people are perfectly happy with pirating music, streaming a show/movie/anime/cartoon, but as soon as you touch on a subject that matters to them, you are actively destroying gaming.

It makes it difficult to be able to even discuss the subject when there is so much hatred and non sense judgement, and yet emulation is beloved by many in other communities.

Emulation is NOT piracy, but surely just like any other medium there is a fair share of piracy.

Emulation allows people to experience games in different platforms, it allows for disabled people to change controls or to use different controllers for better accessibility.

I myself enjoy playing all of my games on the PC so it's easier to stream, to mod, but more importantly to play with no limitations. I prefer playing all of my games with resolution scaling, texture packs (or texture filtering).

Emulation also allows for any game that had couch co-op/multiplayer to all of a sudden support online play by means such as Parsec or Moonlight.

Being able to play games that are lovely, but never had online multiplayer with friends and family that live far apart while streaming it and talking on discord has been a dream.

At this point i actively avoid certain subjects on ResetERA as the mob mentality has become too much and it takes away from being able to discuss things.

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021
(as an aside, Nintendo will be fine, regardless of whether articles encourage piracy or not).
But will Metroid?

I can understand fans getting annoyed that an article like this is encouraging people to pirate a game they've waited almost twenty years for. They want it to sell well so they don't have to wait another twenty years on the next game. Piracy doesn't help with that.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As some one who owns a launch switch I'm seriously considering finally jailbreaking to rip my games to play on pc. The increase in performance alone justifies this alone. No need for a switch pro or whatever for me I'll just rip my games and play them on pc as I never really use the switch online so losing that functionality doesn't mean much to me.
Nah, you don't exist, according to the million snarky replies in this thread.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
The core emulation community is massively about preservation.

I mean, if you're talking about some obscure MSX title that hasn't been publicly available for decades, I understand, and I think emulators are great for this kind of stuff.

But I'd be willing to bet that if a ranking existed of which games are played on emulators the most, they are games that are commercially available. And now you have people moving the goalposts to "Sure it's available, but it's not 60fps" and shit like that.

Pathetic thread. And people acting like they do this for preservation purposes are so fucking see through. Embarrassing shit.
Uh, you can feel however you want about the way this specific article is written, but it is a fact that the vast, vast majority of games preservation that exists today is because of both emulation and piracy. Developers and publishers have not come even close to being a thorough in the process over the years.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Let me preface by saying that i love browsing ResetERA, but there are certain topics where you can feel an angry mob coming from a mile away.

Emulation has always been a problematic conversation within this circle, but funny enough that is the only place where i have seen it discussed the way it's discussed.

There is a LOT of hypocrisy from people, either not being aware of what the laws are in the different parts of the world, or the conditions that people live in those same parts of the world.

Whether you are okay with piracy, you do it yourself, or you are vehemently against it. Stop judging others when it's not your place to do it.

Some of these same people are perfectly happy with pirating music, streaming a show/movie/anime/cartoon, but as soon as you touch on a subject that matters to them, you are actively destroying gaming.

It makes it difficult to be able to even discuss the subject when there is so much hatred and non sense judgement, and yet emulation is beloved by many in other communities.

Emulation is NOT piracy, but surely just like any other medium there is a fair share of piracy.

Emulation allows people to experience games in different platforms, it allows for disabled people to change controls or to use different controllers for better accessibility.

I myself enjoy playing all of my games on the PC so it's easier to stream, to mod, but more importantly to play with no limitations. I prefer playing all of my games with resolution scaling, texture packs (or texture filtering).

Emulation also allows for any game that had couch co-op/multiplayer to all of a sudden support online play by means such as Parsec or Moonlight.

Being able to play games that are lovely, but never had online multiplayer with friends and family that live far apart while streaming it and talking on discord has been a dream.

At this point i actively avoid certain subjects on ResetERA as the mob mentality has become too much and it takes away from being able to discuss things.
Alright now catch up on the thread

Oct 7, 2021
This is one of those few cases where both sides are right. It is 100% undeniable that the majority of people using emulators for new games are pirating those games. The article in question knows this and is pretty blatant. You can't untie the two in most people's minds.

But just because something can involve piracy doesn't mean that those who want to talk about it legitimately shouldn't be able to. Nintendo puts out great games on terrible hardware that doesn't meet today's standards. Then they completely drop the ball on respecting their OWN legacy and treat their classic library like garbage.

If I want to play Majora's Mask 3D in 4K with the bad changes Nintendo did taken out and it's mechanics restored to how it was on the N64 but with all the QoL and graphical enhancements of the remake. I'm not getting that on Nintendo hardware. And, yeah, if I just bought Metroid Dread, why would I play it on a Switch when I can rip it and play it on better hardware with better quality of life features?
Majoras mask is an old game and it isn't a pivotal time for the series as far as whether you support it or not. If you read the article, it explicitly thanks pirates and takes shots at Nintendo throghout. Metroid Dread is NOT a part of their classic library, it was released two days ago, whatever problem you have there is absolutely not an excuse to pirate dread, and this article is pathetic. Game is well deserving of 60 dollars.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Being against theft is mob mentality? The game is two days old. Not two decades. This isn't a case about preservation.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
At the rate Ryujinx/Yuzu are going, BotW2 is gonna face the same thing Skyward Sword did when folks played it on Dolphin a good week before it came out with better visuals. Wild.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

Seriously. Every god damn time there is emulation talk here everyone pretends like its not just open piracy. Are some people ripping roms from their own copies of games? Sure. But when you make emulation possible, you make piracy very possible and very easy and thats the majority of what it's used for.

I'm sure all of use just happen to own thousands and thousands of games that we then rip and load onto our mini consoles and PC's and hacked switches. Sure we do Jan.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
But will Metroid?

I can understand fans getting annoyed that an article like this is encouraging people to pirate a game they've waited almost twenty years for. They want it to sell well so they don't have to wait another twenty years on the next game. Piracy doesn't help with that.
Regardless of how you feel about this article you know damn well if Metroid dread underperforms it won't be because of piracy

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The fact that a new game is already running perfectly on an emulator is something worthy of news and it's Kotaku's job to report on it, don't the see any issues there.

The whole "Thank god for piracy" thing there is being completely taken out of context as the article says that about games preservation.
But yeah, preservation is not something that applies for emulating/pirating Switch games.

One thing worth pointing out is that brazilian modders already translated Metroid Dread to portuguese, something that Nintendo themselves didn't:

FBDvu7lX0AEetwj

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
At the rate RyujiNX/Yuzu are going, BotW2 is gonna get the same treatment Skyward Sword did when folks played it on Dolphin a good week before it came out with better visuals. Wild.

I mean, Metroid Dread was already playable a near-week before it came out with better visuals and performance. If the game leaks it'll probably be the case.

Not related to your post: Personally dumped the game from my Switch, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna complain about piracy with all the pirated anime, film, and music I've consumed lol.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
The new OLED screen is nice but the hardware is definitely showing it's age and limits technically.

This is a good option to have, just look at how much better it looks than when it's running in a Switch.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned - Platform Warring
Finally a good Kotaku article. Very rare.

And if Nintendo does not want these sorts of articles to be written they should maybe consider making a current-gen console. But who am I kidding.. it's Nintendo.

Lirose

May 30, 2018
Kotaku is such a trash tier outlet. Anyone who emulated this game and didn't buy a copy is a disgusting leech, there's really no two ways about it.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, this is pushing it beyond the breaking point, the game is two days old cmon. Worse yet articles like this hurt the overall perception of emulation and game preservation efforts while painting a big target on their back for companies like Nintendo to continue unleashing their fury upon. This literally helps no-one.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm 99% sure they all are, minus Dread. 1, 2, Super, Zero Mission and Fusion are all on there, same with Prime 1-3 in the Trilogy VC release.

Yeah, so I don't understand why they Thank Pirates.

I guess a Wii U is too hard to find, so they want people to pirate the games instead.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
But will Metroid?

Piracy is not going to have any sort of significant effect on Metroid Dread, not to this degree. Thats such a misplaced (and probably disingenuous) "concern".

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Majoras mask is an old game and it isn't a pivotal time for the series as far as whether you support it or not. If you read the article, it explicitly thanks pirates and takes shots at Nintendo throghout. Metroid Dread is NOT a part of their classic library, it was released two days ago, whatever problem you have there is absolutely not an excuse to pirate dread, and this article is pathetic. Game is well deserving of 60 dollars.
Please read my post you are replying to again because you seemed to have missed the entire point of it. I specifically called the article out too. But a bad article existing doesn't invalidate the legitimate benefits of emulating Metroid Dread.

It was outdated before it came out yes, but aren't all consoles? Plus it very clearly had to balance many aspects to achieve what it has achieved, so I can't really see that not being a complaint about hardware that had to choose the path it chose.
I feel like... if you look at the Switch as a successor the 3DS, it's an amazing leap forward. If you look at it as a successor to the Wii U, did it even really move forward at all? It might as well be the same system. I'm sure it's a little bit more powerful but not by much. And the hybrid system move was surely the right call to make for a wide audience. But if I'm playing docked 100% of the time, there's no real benefit there for me.

I know I'm not the one you're quoting, but I'm kind of tired of this narrative where a game is unplayable just because it has a fluctuating or low frame rate. I've played Age of Calamity, and have beaten it 100% on the hardest difficulty and not once did the framerate suddenly make the game unplayable or hindered my experience past "Its choppy looking". I truly do not understand these complaints.If people could play OoT and Majoras Mask at a 20FPS TOP END and have the framerate dip and think those games are masterpieces, I truly don't understand how its suddenly "unplayable" now just because we have better.
This is a huge false equivalence. If you ran Ocarina of Time on native hardware and Age of Calamity on native hardware side by side, Ocarina of Time would look MILES better. Yes, OoT is 20fps, but it's a consistent 20fps and the game is optimized enough to where nothing is going wrong. There aren't hundreds of enemies on screen with modern visuals that the game is failing to run. Age of Calamity is a fps nightmare. The slowdown doesn't come from there being low fps, it comes from the fps drops and the fact that the game is trying to run something the system isn't handling.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy Age of Calamity. I bought it Day 1, spent an hour or two with it, and put it down. It's unplayable to me and saying "well it was fine for me" means absolutely nothing. There's always someone saying "I can't tell the different between 1080p and 4K" or "I don't mind the frame-rate dropping in Blighttown on PS3". Age of Calamity gave me a physical headache to look at. The fact that you learned to live with poor performance doesn't invalidate my issues.

That being said, yeah standards DO change over time when new hardware becomes available and better performance is possible. Nobody complained about bad CGI in movie during the early 2000s either but you can't go back to those films now without noticing how bad they actually were. What's the point? Emulate Ocarina of Time too, sure, there's tons of quality of life changes and fixes to the game that fans have made. Have you SEEN the OoT Randomizer project? It's amazing. Nintendo sure as hell isn't going to make something like that.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I mean, Metroid Dread was already playable a near-week before it came out with better visuals and performance. If the game leaks it'll probably be the case.
Crazy. Assuming BotW2 does leak, pirates will be getting the game early and have a better experience as far as visuals/performance is concerned. I reckon these emulators will be far along enough once it releases.

I remember when Yuzu and Ryujinx first hit the scene a few years back. I pondered this exact question to myself but now we're starting to really see it in full swing. Dread is a first of many.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah its amazing how many people have working V1 Switches that they hacked, bought the copy of Dread, dumped it themselves and are now playing on emulators.

Do you realize that there are millions of V1 Switch systems out there in near perfect condition? Jailbreaking the switch is also one of the easiest things to do. I have one sitting about one meter from where I'm sitting and I dumped all my games to PC. The system is in a mint condition as I almost never take it out of the dock and I have taken good care of it.

If anyone wants to pirate Switch games then they wouldn't need an emulator to do it. They could mod a V1 Switch and play backups on it without an emulator. Getting a hold of a V1 Switch isn't difficult either.

I am so sick and tired of the same users advocating emulation with piracy on this site and not ever getting a warning or a ban. It is ridicilous.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
But will Metroid?

This.

I'd like people who want to play Metroid Dread and legitimately can afford it to buy it so we get more quality Metroid games.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, there isn't a "service problem" to solve with the Switch. That was solved by being handheld. You can dislike the article all you want, but to pretend like this is going to affect sales to any noticeable degree is just silly.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, so I don't understand why they Thank Pirates.

I guess a Wii U is too hard to find, so they want people to pirate the games instead.
I personally think its just the fact people don't think old games are worth buying a (not very) old system just to legally obtain the games at a reasonable price. They're extremely small and take .5 seconds to download and just boot up on a PC. Everything about games nowadays feels solely based around devaluing them as fast as possible. I'm in the camp where an old game doesn't really fully mean its worth small amounts or next to nothing, but I feel like most people just have that thought.

To be fair I'm also a mostly physical purchaser and have gone out of my way to pay 80-300$ for specific physical games both older and newer (3DS). I'd understand for something super obscure or impossible to get like the Satteleview games on the SNES, since there is literally no way to obtain those games, but every Metroid game can be played on something within the last 9 years for reasonable prices.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
The experience is worse in emulation if you have an AMD GPU. Yuzu doesn't play a lot of the cinematics and can't currently increase resolution. Ryujinx vulkan support is very fresh and buggy. I just ended up playing on the switch because it was most convenient. Underwater areas can get pretty choppy performance wise though.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
www.resetera.com

Did Kotaku just post an article with (animated) child porn? (NSFW) [Up: Kotaku apologizes]

mod edit: The images have been removed and an editor's note posted Animated Video Game Porn Could Be A Lot Sexier And Less Gross ----------------------------------------------- So Kotaku posted an article exploring "video game porn". Literally the second picture in the article is an animated...

Kotaku articles were being posted within a few days of this and it got completely ignored. They ain't getting banned here lol

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I was originally going to post that I'm wasn't sure there's a context in which "thank god for pirates" makes sense. Then I thought about abandonware or stuff really hard to get. But I guess that doesn't apply here.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Finally a good Kotaku article. Very rare.

And if Nintendo does not want these sorts of articles to be written they should maybe consider making a current-gen console. But who am I kidding.. it's Nintendo.
Excusing piracy because of the switch not being a powerhouse is bull rap.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, you can feel however you want about the way this specific article is written, but it is a fact that the vast, vast majority of games preservation that exists today is because of both emulation and piracy. Developers and publishers have not come even close to being a thorough in the process over the years.
But what does game preservation have to do with a game that released two days ago? It's readily available on the eShop.

This might be the worst take in the thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.