• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
good for them. the "pirates" have done a better job with game preservation than the actual companies have. why should i have to pay hundreds of dollars for some obscure jrpg when the money isn't going to the developer and/or publisher when i can just download it and no one is hurt?

this article is highlighting on the emulators anyways, which yeah - were probably developed by the same "pirates" and you know what? good for them
The issue here is the context. That line and the omission of staring you also need a legitimate copy to dump the ROM with is a really poor way to present this.

There should be guidelines here for propeely to ethically emulate, too. Of course there will be pirates, but that doesn't mean the author couldn't have done a much better job.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I hate when emulation threads devolve into piracy complaints but this article is pretty bad. Kotaku getting closer to being a banned site lol.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I'm not attacking emulation in any way with this question, as I use to do it for GBA and SNES until I grabbed running hardware that I could legitimately use. Why do people seek a need to emulate a console that is still available with games that are literally two days old and not going anywhere? I am all for restoring what would have been lost libraries of gaming history, that is actually incredibly important like many things of historical value. I just don't get why you would buy a Switch, then the game to only rip it and play on PC?
Have you tried to play Age of Calamity on the Switch?

The system was outdated hardware the moment it came out. Don't get me wrong, it being a console/handheld hybrid is inspired and one of the best gimmicks Nintendo has had yet. But I don't play my games handheld. I play games in my room on my 4K TV. If I have the option between playing a Nintendo game with low frame-rate, low resolution, and potential technical issues... or playing it with uncapped high frame rate, in 4K, with tons of good quality of life features that Nintendo would stubbornly never put in themselves... why would I ever choose the former?

The answer to your question is really that simple. Why play Switch games on the PC? It's better.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
good for them. the "pirates" have done a better job with game preservation than the actual companies have. why should i have to pay hundreds of dollars for some obscure jrpg when the money isn't going to the developer and/or publisher when i can just download it and no one is hurt?

this article is highlighting on the emulators anyways, which yeah - were probably developed by the same "pirates" and you know what? good for them
Oh give me a break, game is 2 days old and your going on a spiel about games preservation, from Nintendo who had proven in the past to preserve games so well the devs like SQE had to come to them to get the source code for mana 3

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
fuck that, they're bringing that in here by highlighting how well a game that came out 2 days ago runs on an emulator. barely anyone rips their own copies. pimp all the emulation for old machines, that stuff is dope when the systems are dead. do it for something that is literally brand new and you're going signaling "this would be much better if you grabbed a rom of this!"

that article/headline is gross.

emulation is amazing.

This is where I'm at.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't condone the article, but piracy is a service problem.
Nintendo should join Microsoft and Sony in bringing their games to Steam.

Why do people seek a need to emulate a console that is still available with games that are literally two days old and not going anywhere? I am all for restoring what would have been lost libraries of gaming history, that is actually incredibly important like many things of historical value. I just don't get why you would buy a Switch, then the game to only rip it and play on PC?
Because it looks like shit on the actual hardware - and most games on the Switch also run like shit.
Metroid Dread is an exception that runs well enough (except for the cutscenes) but going to 120 FPS is still a big improvement. And it's nice being able to use a controller that doesn't require me to be within 3ft of the console or else inputs start dropping/sticking.
I had written off games like Breath of the Wild 2 because of how badly the original runs on my Switch, but I might actually buy the game if I have the option to run it at high resolutions and frame rates on my PC.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
I've pirated games in the past. I've modded consoles in the past. I've got mini consoles full to the brim with external USBs and more or less a full catalogue.

But absolutely, and I can't state this strongly enough, FUCK this article. Anyone even suggesting in the slightest that this isn't advocating piracy is flat out wrong. As TheMoon says, it's a grey area with older consoles. This is 2 days old.
Yeah pretty much. This series needs a lot of love and doing stuff like this so soon is not going to help.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First new 2D Metroid in 19 years, in a series where it doesn't normally sell and needs every unit sold to push for more games. Legit 2 days old and this fuckin guy advocates pirating it? Are you serious? This isn't "emulation is for preservation", this is just blatant piracy support for a game easily accessible.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
(as an aside, Nintendo will be fine, regardless of whether articles encourage piracy or not).

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I have reported the article to Nintendo, to be honest what Kotaku is doing goes beyond, oh this game looks beautiful on PC. This Writer's stance is Oh this game is so much more playable when you pirate it.

Emulation isn't piracy

This article is about emulation and piracy

Emulation can be fantastic thing

The piracy scene and the emulation scene often assist each other inadvertently

There is definitely a dedicated, caring community who rip their own ROMs

By and large the means and practical knowledge and effort required to rip current Switch ROMs will invariably mean there will be more people playing having not ripped their own copy then those that have

It's an entirely grey area for sure, and I appreciate nuance. This article I found distasteful though
The issue is that a lot of normal people don't have a hacked switch to dump their legally acquired game to the the PC to play on their emulator. More than likely they are just getting a rom off the internet and playing that. Which Nintendo has been known to kill individual Switch Game licenses.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
fuck that, they're bringing that in here by highlighting how well a game that came out 2 days ago runs on an emulator. barely anyone rips their own copies. pimp all the emulation for old machines, that stuff is dope when the systems are dead. do it for something that is literally brand new and you're going signaling "this would be much better if you grabbed a rom of this!"

that article/headline is gross.

emulation is amazing.

Are you telling me that the people who comment things like "Why would I buy Super Mario 3D All-Stars when I can just play every Mario game for free on emulators" aren't all using cart dumpers and disc rip software to back up their legally acquired copies of games? Surely that can't be. They're just conscientious believers in software preservation, surely. :D

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Nintendo sells games to sell their hardware, MS and Sony sell their hardware to sell games. At this point they'd have to be legally forced, and I do mean that, to release games on PC.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Because it looks like shit on the actual hardware - and most games on the Switch also run like shit.
Metroid Dread is an exception that runs well enough (except for the cutscenes) but going to 120 FPS is still a big improvement. And it's nice being able to use a controller that doesn't require me to be within 3ft of the console or else inputs start dropping/sticking.
I had written off games like Breath of the Wild 2 because of how badly the original runs on my Switch, but I might actually buy the game if I have the option to run it at high resolutions and frame rates on my PC.
"It's okay to pirate a game if it's not in PC" isn't a good take to defend emulation

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I feel like if this was an Activision game people would be cheering alongside Kotaku and making excuses like "it's morally neutral/justified", but since its a game from their favorite evil multi-billion dollar company there is so much outrage. Yes, piracy is fucked and the Kotaku article should probably be edited/taken down. But I just have a hunch this is pretty selective.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so a few things:

Emulation isn't piracy
"Thank god for pirates" in an article about emulation is encouraging piracy.

That being said... "thank god for pirates" regarding the video game industry doing an awful job of preserving their older libraries is a pretty common stance, and isn't really any different to what the likes of Frank Cifaldi often says.

But I don't think it really applies to a title like Metroid Dread, so yeah... Maybe do better with that, Kotaku.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

The system was outdated hardware the moment it came out. Don't get me wrong, it being a console/handheld hybrid is inspired and one of the best gimmicks Nintendo has had yet. But I don't play my games handheld. I play games in my room on my 4K TV. If I have the option between playing a Nintendo game with low frame-rate, low resolution, and potential technical issues... or playing it with uncapped high frame rate, in 4K, with tons of good quality of life features that Nintendo would stubbornly never put in themselves... why would I ever choose the former?

The answer to your question is really that simple. Why play Switch games on the PC? It's better.
I'm not overly sensitive to performance as I used to be, so I'm a bad judge there hah. Age of Calamity was fine for me, but I definitely understand performance issues can rub people the wrong way with their purchase. I think what I don't get is the continual point being made of Nintendo's hardware choices. It was outdated before it came out yes, but aren't all consoles? Plus it very clearly had to balance many aspects to achieve what it has achieved, so I can't really see that not being a complaint about hardware that had to choose the path it chose.

Again, I'm all for emulation and your choice is clearly defined by your interests and wants. That's entirely cool and I'm glad you can enjoy the games how you want and legally too.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Pathetic thread. And people acting like they do this for preservation purposes are so fucking see through. Embarrassing shit.

TheRealMoB

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2020
I feel like if this was an Activision game people would be cheering alongside Kotaku and making excuses like "it's morally neutral/justified", but since its a game from their favorite evil multi-billion dollar company there is so much outrage. Yes, piracy is fucked and the Kotaku article should probably be edited/taken down. But I just have a hunch this is pretty selective.
Sounds like this take is coming from a person who has no clue how to be objective.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm not the one you're quoting, but I'm kind of tired of this narrative where a game is unplayable just because it has a fluctuating or low frame rate. I've played Age of Calamity, and have beaten it 100% on the hardest difficulty and not once did the framerate suddenly make the game unplayable or hindered my experience past "Its choppy looking". I truly do not understand these complaints.If people could play OoT and Majoras Mask at a 20FPS TOP END and have the framerate dip and think those games are masterpieces, I truly don't understand how its suddenly "unplayable" now just because we have better.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Why is it a service problem?

'it's not on the hardware platform I want, so in a way Nintendo made me pirate it'?

(I'm totally not having a go at you bud, I see what you're going for - I've just heard some use similar words before in mental gymnastics)

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
User Warned - Platform Warring
There should be an article like this everytime a main Switch game comes out until Nintendo announces a "Pro"version, kudos to Kotaku for once.

Oct 27, 2017
Games like this make me wish Nintendo was focusing on premium experiences like back in the Gamecube days.
I get why they don't though. Hopefully Switch 2 is BC and every game is patched to run with improved performance graphics. For now, this game is looking like the best Metroid yet and I excited to get it as soon as DQ is completed.

As for the article, it is not a good look when you praise pirates. I am all for emulation (in fact, I wish my Switch was hackable to rip the games out and try this out).

Oct 7, 2021
This article is in really, really bad taste. People in here defending it I feel like clearly didn't read the article

I guess these kinds of threads are allowed but pretty disappointing given how strong the article itself advocates piracy, not just emulation. Really gross to me. Imo if you want to talk about emulation legitimately, using this article to spark the discussion is about as negative a way as possible.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
"It's okay to pirate a game if it's not in PC" isn't a good take to defend emulation
What? That's not what I said.
I said that Nintendo should bring these games to PC because there's clearly a market/demand for them.
I added that emulation would actually make me consider buying a Switch game I had already written off, because I hate playing games on the actual hardware.

'it's not on the hardware platform I want, so in a way Nintendo made me pirate it'?
(I'm totally not having a go at you bud, I see what you're going for - I've just heard some use similar words before in mental gymnastics)
Piracy is not okay, but emulating Switch games on PC is not inherently piracy.
The 'service problem' is that people don't want to play games on their awful hardware. The service people want is to be able to buy these games for their PC.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
There is no way anyone could say with a straight face that emulation on a 2-day-old game for the convenience of playing it on a different platform isn't primarily centered around piracy, lol. It's not like the article gives the reader an explainer on how they might legally do this to their own copies, either.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
We all know what this is. No couched terms are gonna hide it because they basically came out and said it.

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021

edit: as others have said here, emualtion and piracy are two totally different things, but it's a good thing for video games that both of them exist
If the big Nintendo leak has shown anything it's that Nintendo is really great about game preservation. You not being able to play it for cheap doesn't have anything to do with preservation though.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Pathetic thread. And people acting like they do this for preservation purposes are so fucking see through. Embarrassing shit.

I do it because i can i bought the game and dumped it myself it's my right. If a game runs below 60 fps, or can't sustain reasonable visibility on a 4k tv, I'm not playing it period.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing.

I decided to play it on my Switch since I was getting some shader compilation stutter and I don't think my current PC could handle this at 4K 120fps. That being said it is nice to see this progress and it will be how I replay this in the future. The game doesn't have good image quality on the Switch.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Okay so a few things:

Emulation isn't piracy
"Thank god for pirates" in an article about emulation is encouraging piracy.

That being said... "thank god for pirates" regarding the video game industry doing an awful job of preserving their older libraries is a pretty common stance, and isn't really any different to what the likes of Frank Cifaldi often says.

But I don't think it really applies to a title like Metroid Dread, so yeah... Maybe do better with that, Kotaku.

To add to this, the problem isn't that people are working on emulators for current machines, the problem is how carelessly that Kotaku article props it up as without any awareness of how what a piece like this does.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
The "thank god for pirates" line is referring the articles it's linking to, no? Which is about game preservation, which I agree with.

But all you need is a Switch emulator and a decently powerful PC, and you can play Dread on your computer, right now.

Is the bad part IMO.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Where exactly? I really don't see it, the last sentence is a pretty bad take but nowhere do they show or explain how to pirate the game you are really reaching here.
It is a Switch exclusive, as you might expect. But all you need is a Switch emulator and a decently powerful PC, and you can play Dread on your computer, right now. And it looks great.
As someone who feels strong enough about emulation to snap post, it's strange you wouldn't immediately notice the problem with this sentence. The sentence is only true if you pirate Dread. It is not accurate if you were to emulate it by dumping your own copy.

combine that with the thank god for pirates line and the complete lack of any mention of dumping your own legal copy. The article is straight up advocating piracy. It's not really a question

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017

It is better not to look for it with an emotional lens or through the lens of morality.

Piracy is a function of availability, be it price, hardware support among a few others. There isn't much you can do about some things, some will pirate regardless of price, but you can lower prices to make it more palatable to the "Average" person. Likewise another issue is availability, you can provide more ways to play the game.

Ofc whatever your strategic goals as a company will enter in conflict with this, so others will provide *services* to fill the voids of which you will not or cannot.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the big Nintendo leak has shown anything it's that Nintendo is really great about game preservation. You not being able to play it for cheap doesn't have anything to do with preservation though.

Game preservation doesn't mean keeping games, materials and prototypes locked in a vault. The people that leaked it did good things for preservation. One of the entire points of preservation is access (either directly or through things like museums).

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt my wack ass rig can run it with those settings but I want to give it a shot.

I beat it yesterday morning but re-playing at a higher res/framerate sounds like fun.

Oct 7, 2021
kotaku.com

Metroid Dread Is Already Running On Switch Emulators

Only days after release, the latest entry in Nintendo's classic franchise is running in 4K using an emulator

s/o to the spotlight on emulators. emulators kick ass (also nowhere in this article does it state to go the pirate the game, so please don't bring that in here lol)

"thank god for pirates, emulators, modders, and hackers."

I mean, it explicitly thanks pirates, after an article of bashing the legitimate way to acquire the game. You'd have to be incredibly dense to not see what this is advocating. We really shouldn't be doing this around a game that's future is contingent on it's first release in almost two decades when neck beards who clearly want the game have been crying about how 2d games shouldn't be worth 60 dollars as is. If it isn't lockable as a thread then it is at the best really disrespectful to the developers and entirely unhelpful to share imo

Status
Not open for further replies.