• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mmh guess it's time for me to play Dread on PC instead.
That article quite literally advocates piracy.
1611-m.webp

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
If I want to play Majora's Mask 3D in 4K with the bad changes Nintendo did taken out and it's mechanics restored to how it was on the N64 but with all the QoL and graphical enhancements of the remake. I'm not getting that on Nintendo hardware. And, yeah, if I just bought Metroid Dread, why would I play it on a Switch when I can rip it and play it on better hardware with better quality of life features?

I'm sure theres an audience of Nintendo fans who would consider getting one of those high spec handhelds and priming it with emulation so they can play their games with higher resolution/performance. The market is asking for newer hardware.

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, if you don't have a Switch, you can't emulate a Switch game without pirating it because you can't dump your ROM.

Yep. Emulation is not piracy. Period. There's nothing to discuss there. That being said...

It goes even further than having a Switch or not. Dumping your games legitimately on Switch is a pretty niche option, and it's becoming more and more exclusive every day. You need to either have 1. an unpatched Erista v1 model that can be softmodded (i.e. models produced before June 2018) or a patched Erista v2 or Mariko unit (2018-present) with a modchip soldered into the board. Of the ~89 million Switches sold, a very small percentage has access to those units, and among them a tiny fraction bothers to even hack their systems.

I used to have an Erista that I sold when I got a Mariko, which is now chipped. My brand new OLED is my legit unit, while I keep my Mariko for emulators, overclocking, modding, etc. I need to try Ryujinx and Yuzu now that I have a semi-decent GPU (3060Ti) on my i7-6700K...

This is not the case with older consoles, which have dedicated hardware that bypasses the need to even have the console in the first place (for example, external ROM and save dumpers for GBA). This article does very little to help the legitimacy of emulators in the eyes of the public. It's even detrimental, as it explicitly shouts out pirates. Kotaku is making Nintendo's case crystal clear.

Mmh guess it's time for me to play Dread on PC instead.

1611-m.webp

There's nothing ambiguous about it:

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Like I get that emulation tends to be a contentious topic to discuss because there are definitely legal methods of going about doing so but:

Screenshot-2021-10-10-101146.png

The author of this article is pretty blatantly not talking about this in good faith lol

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I've pirated games in the past. I've modded consoles in the past. I've got mini consoles full to the brim with external USBs and more or less a full catalogue.

But absolutely, and I can't state this strongly enough, FUCK this article. Anyone even suggesting in the slightest that this isn't advocating piracy is flat out wrong. As TheMoon says, it's a grey area with older consoles. This is 2 days old.

Precisely this.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Let's not do this.

I'm going to get this on my Switch soon, and when I'm done I'll be emulating on my PC for sure. Knowing it is already playing well is great news.
Really awful take, lol.
Sorry, but no.

This is great news for those interested in emulation. Many of us will be doing this legitimately asap.
You emulating this game legitimately doesn't invalidate the concerns you're downplaying about this article causing more piracy.

I don't even feel THAT strongly about this but it seems weird to reply to multiple people in the span of minutes outright dismissing their takes on what is at best a grey area… ESPECIALLY given the tone of this article specifically

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yep it should always be made clear that you should buy the game first, yeh some people will pirate bit articles like this should definitely be doing a Ng their best to present things in an ethical way.
Exactly. If you say "you only need a computer and the emulator", you are necessarily talking about piracy because there is no legal way to obtain the game in those conditions.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are blacklisted by Nintendo.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I'm the first to always shit on emulation=piracy people here.

That said he issue with the article is:

and
Honestly i really don't have an issue with the first line *cough* paragraph but the 2nd paragraph where the author is thanking the pirates is not good and not needed.. basically mixing the emulation and piracy right there...

And honestly... new game or old game doesn't fucking matter to me.. once you buy a copy of your game and have a PC.. go emulate it or w/e you want to do.. its your copy. I don't really care if the console is new or old bla bla..

It doesn't make it bad or anything to emulate shit for a new console... its the choice of a consumer to do so provided they buy the game the legit way.

God Bless Emulators.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
This makes me think nintendo should release a digital store for PC and make the entire switch library cross compatible

obviously they won't, but it would be sweet if they copied the MS model of cloud saves that work across everything. I'd pay a premium on my switch online sub if it allowed me to play games in 4K 60 at home on my PC then play the same save portably on my switch

can you do cross saving with the emulators? If your switch is hacked maybe?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You emulating this game legitimately doesn't invalidate the concerns you're downplaying about this article causing more piracy.

I don't even feel THAT strongly about this but it seems weird to reply to multiple people in the span of minutes outright dismissing their takes on what is at best a grey area… ESPECIALLY given the tone of this article specifically
I already said the article is an issue and that I should have read it properly.

Day 2 emulation is not. If this article were ethically presented I would have no issue and would be glad they let me know.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly i really don't have an issue with the first line *cough* paragraph but the 2nd paragraph where the author is thanking the pirates is not good and not needed.. basically mixing the emulation and piracy right there...

"But all you need is a Switch emulator and a decently powerful PC" is saying that you do not need a switch or a copy of the game, which you do to emulate it legitimately.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I already said the article is an issue and that I should have read it properly.

Day 2 emulation is not. If this article were ethically presented I would have no issue and would be glad they let me know.
The people you dismissed were all talking issue with the article but thank you for changing your stance

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Edit: double clarifying here that I am talking about the aspects of emulating something you literally already have in your hands, not historical emulation that can no longer be accessed easily like pre-previous gen and older. I just don't get it, outside of incredibly horrible performance, it seems like whinging that Nintendo chose the hardware they chose and that's a bad thing so let's emulate it. Again that's just from what most emulation Switch threads seem to reference. If they could upgrade hardware easily km sure they would, as much as we love saying Nintendo leaves money in the table for common sense tactics, they are clearly smarter by them doing the thing many of us do not do and quite frankly enjoy playing because we attempt to emulate it.

I'm not attacking emulation in any way with this question, as I use to do it for GBA and SNES until I grabbed running hardware that I could legitimately use. Why do people seek a need to emulate a console that is still available with games that are literally two days old and not going anywhere? I am all for restoring what would have been lost libraries of gaming history, that is actually incredibly important like many things of historical value. I just don't get why you would buy a Switch, then the game to only rip it and play on PC?

I pirated PS1/PS2 games back in the day as a young kid, I knew that was wrong but it was indeed the norm here in Australia. Doesn't excuse that it was a bad act against developers working hard for their creativity and supporting them. However, I never purchased a console, and it's games to then rip/pirate the game across to PC. To me that feels pointless, and really (to me) just saying "I don't think this hardware is good so I'm going to not play games on its original form." I definitely get the graphical lures for doing so, but it's just…not the Switch format when it's literally available next to you.

Anyway, maybe I'm just older now with more disposable income then I was at a younger age, so I value the work of others because I can more freely do that. Not saying emulation of older titles doesn't respect developers, I just don't think doing it to a console that has so far only removed one or two games due to weird marketing stupidity. Especially a two day old game.

I just don't get it, outside of incredibly horrible performance, it seems like whinging that Nintendo chose the hardware they chose and that's a bad thing so let's emulate it. Again that's just from what most emulation Switch threads seem to reference. If they could upgrade hardware easily km sure they would, as much as we love saying Nintendo leaves money in the table for common sense tactics, they are clearly smarter by them doing the thing many of us do not do and quite frankly enjoy playing because we attempt to emulate it.

Also Kotaku's article is clearly signalling pirates. That's against historical emulation and fucking sucks.

Last edited:

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Only days after before release, you can play the latest entry in Nintendo's classic franchise in 4K using an emulator"

Fixed ;D, the article was a bit late

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
"a few days later", Switch emulators have gotten so good usually games are playable before they actually release on Switch... *cough* Paper Mario *cough*.

Yes this can lead to piracy but for people with hackable Switches, this can also give them a chance to play games they've bought at higher resolutions and frame rates. It is a crime that Nintendo sells games like Age of Calamity at $60 in the state they're in.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
"But all you need is a Switch emulator and a decently powerful PC" is saying that you do not need a switch or a copy of the game, which you do to emulate it legitimately.
Yeah then they f**ed up. Iam not sure that the author of this article did their research or just like me assumed that they just can take files straight from the cartridge and extract them without needing a switch.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Watching this I will probably buy Bayonetta 3 but play it on PC. Could not be putting up with that framerate in the trailer

Oct 27, 2017
As some one who owns a launch switch I'm seriously considering finally jailbreaking to rip my games to play on pc. The increase in performance alone justifies this alone. No need for a switch pro or whatever for me I'll just rip my games and play them on pc as I never really use the switch online so losing that functionality doesn't mean much to me.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This sort of crap is why people so often associate emulation with piracy, it's wild what a rag Kotaku has become.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The article showcases how far people are going to justify piracy nowadays. The mindset of...if not every content ever published on a Nintendo console, isn't immediately available for cheap or next to nothing....yeah just go wild and pirate everything.

One reason it's difficult to take most VC of NSO related discussion seriously, since people expect price and availability to be able to compare with their hard drives SD cards full of romsets.

Outside of a likely minority this is mostly great for people that complain 24/7 about the Switch as a Plattform as well as the high price point of first Party releases. So thats a big audience i guess.

I wouldn't even care about this article for most big releases but a bummer that they think Metroid is the IP where around the latest release you would promote such a way to play/obtain the game.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo (like most game publishers) is really bad about maintaining access to their past games outside of the few big sellers. Thank God for pirates, emulators, modders, and hackers.
Cool cool. I guess posting full Kotaku articles is ok going forwards, right? Are the Editors asleep at the wheel again?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
But the framerates in the trailer is pretty solid, look at the official trailer
It drops regularly when the big fire demon attacks are occurring. Also I played the first 2 on Switch and B1 has tons of slowdown (with fire enemies as well, interestingly) and Bayo 2 was impossible to read and the performance ruined it for me. Was just an unreadable spam fest

PC the way to go for me I think, I will support platinum but not play on that hardware again.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
"Nintendo is holding this game back... you could pirate it and get a better experience!" a few days after release is cringey at best.
Like I get that emulation tends to be a contentious topic to discuss because there are definitely legal methods of going about doing so but:

Screenshot-2021-10-10-101146.png

The author of this article is pretty blatantly not talking about this in good faith lol
Yikes. I mean, it's patently false about the Metroid franchise, on top of advocating piracy.

OP
OP
Cheddahz

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling, advocating piracy
They literally say "thank God to pirates"
good for them. the "pirates" have done a better job with game preservation than the actual companies have. why should i have to pay hundreds of dollars for some obscure jrpg when the money isn't going to the developer and/or publisher when i can just download it and no one is hurt?

this article is highlighting on the emulators anyways, which yeah - were probably developed by the same "pirates" and you know what? good for them

edit: as others have said here, emualtion and piracy are two totally different things, but it's a good thing for video games that both of them exist

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Emulation isn't piracy

This article is about emulation and piracy

Emulation can be fantastic thing

The piracy scene and the emulation scene often assist each other inadvertently

There is definitely a dedicated, caring community who rip their own ROMs

By and large the means and practical knowledge and effort required to rip current Switch ROMs will invariably mean there will be more people playing having not ripped their own copy then those that have

It's an entirely grey area for sure, and I appreciate nuance. This article I found distasteful though

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Just what Metroid needs, even less people buying it! Lol Kotaku never change

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
> 4k 100 fps on a 1060

wtf
Low-level emulators usually work mainly on the CPU.

In short: this has to do with accuracy, but it means that almost all instructions (even those that usually can be offloaded on the GPU) all run on the CPU. So a beefy CPU with high IPC is adviced. GPU = dumb, but fast. CPU = smart, but slow.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As some one who owns a launch switch I'm seriously considering finally jailbreaking to rip my games to play on pc. The increase in performance alone justifies this alone. No need for a switch pro or whatever for me I'll just rip my games and play them on pc as I never really use the switch online so losing that functionality doesn't mean much to me.

I've been thinking the same. Playing on the switch just isn't an enjoyable experience anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.