• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
kotaku.com

Lost Ark's Depiction Of Female Characters Feels A Decade Out Of Date

The free-to-play action MMORPG forces women to wear heels and has gender-locked classes
Lost Ark is a lot of fun. I've played hours and hours of it and I'm excited to play more. However, the latest smash hit on Steam is facing criticism for how it portrays its female characters.

Specifically, the game features some truly silly female animations, gives women few options besides revealing armor, forces them to wear heels, and uses gender-locked classes. This would have been a problem in 2012. Now in 2022, it's not only bad, it seems as if the folks making this game just ignored the last decade or so of discussions and debates surrounding representation of women and non-masculine characters in games.

When I first started playing Lost Ark, I booted up the game and created a paladin named Zack, who was a dude. I'm very boring. However, even as a male character, I noticed how many of the female characters around me seemed to be, uh…lacking pants. And I'm not the only person who noticed. Other players have pointed out how hard it is as a female character in Lost Ark to find clothing and armor that actually, y'know, covers your body.

I wanted to experience this myself, so I started up a new character. Although she was fully clothed and armored in the character creation menu, the moment I started the game my new heroine was stripped down to nearly nothing and plopped in some heels, and that was that. I spent nearly two hours running around, doing quests and killing monsters before I finally found a new pair of pants that weren't just booty shorts. Instead, these were slightly longer booty shorts.
Even if Lost Ark offered a wider variety of clothing and armor to women, it wouldn't fix its other big problem with women: all the hyper-exaggerated, fan-service-y animations. Women in Lost Ark have hips that wiggle side to side so much, so quickly, they look like they fell out of a Source Filmmaker project from a decade ago. On social media, you can find lots of women who have already pointed out just how comically bad Lost Ark's female animations look, especially when zoomed in on.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, one of the bigger issues I typically have with Korean games. Their level of needless sexualization is enough to make Japanese and Western game developers blush.

I am by no means a prude, and I love me some horny energy, but dial it down...

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
Korean MMOs are rotten with this stuff. It's less that that haven't been paying attention to the discourse around women's representation in games and more that they just don't care.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Absolutely loving the game, but yeepppppp. Can't disagree at all.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The sad thing is, this was probably changed 5 or 6 times from prototyping to final and they had to FIGHT in order for the walk animations to be that fucking bad.

These animations put Skyrim smut mods to shame.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Excusing sexism, history of severe infractions
The walk/run animation is garbage, the rest is fine.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Excusing sexism, history of severe infractions
While this is ridiculous and sexist and tbh I wish Amazon would've changed a lot of it (like how they changed some of the more skimpy outfits), this article does smell a little like "americans pretending that everyone is an american".

"Now in 2022, it's not only bad, it seems as if the folks making this game just ignored the last decade or so of discussions and debates surrounding representation of women and non-masculine characters in games."

Like yeah, no shit that Koreans probably aren't keeping up on the social issues in America. Clearly. Otherwise this stuff would, sadly, not be so prevalent in Korean games. I mean just look at Black Desert for another ridiculous example. I'd love to be proven wrong but I think this sort of conversation has not quite reached Korea yet.

Last edited:

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Korean games sadly have not changed much in terms of Representation/Sexualization.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
While this is ridiculous and sexist and tbh I wish Amazon would've changed a lot of it (like how they changed some of the more skimpy outfits), this article does smell a little like "americans pretending that everyone is an american".

"Now in 2022, it's not only bad, it seems as if the folks making this game just ignored the last decade or so of discussions and debates surrounding representation of women and non-masculine characters in games."

Like yeah, no shit that Koreans probably aren't keeping up on the social issues in America. Clearly. Otherwise this stuff would, sadly, not be so prevalent in Korean games. I mean just look at Black Desert for another ridiculous example.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I think this sort of conversation simply has not quite reached Korea yet, or even just.. Asia as a whole because this sort of stuff happens in Japanese and Chinese games as well.

Feminism is big in Korea, it's just that men think it's bullshit (and therefore should be called out)

And why assume that Americans are the only people capable of having this conversation? In LATAM we know what sexism is, if people ignore that's on them alone

Last edited:

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

Like yeah, no shit that Koreans probably aren't keeping up on the social issues in America. Clearly. Otherwise this stuff would, sadly, not be so prevalent in Korean games. I mean just look at Black Desert for another ridiculous example. I'd love to be proven wrong but I think this sort of conversation has not quite reached Korea yet.

I see what you are trying to do here, but you managed to actually do the exact opposite.

You should look up some of the social issues for South Korea. Some of this conversation is definitely being had there. It is not like America is the only place social progress and discussion can be had and we must wait for it to spread those ideas to other places.

The devs just don't care. Especially in a heavily male hobbyist space. That is true in most industries around the world.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017

Like yeah, no shit that Koreans probably aren't keeping up on the social issues in America. Clearly. Otherwise this stuff would, sadly, not be so prevalent in Korean games. I mean just look at Black Desert for another ridiculous example.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I think this sort of conversation simply has not quite reached Korea yet, or even just.. Asia as a whole because this sort of stuff happens in Japanese and Chinese games as well.

Why oh why can't we just accept the cultural norms of downgrading women to weird sexualized yet infantalized eye-candy? Must be an American thing.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The walk/run animation is garbage, the rest is fine.
Gender-locked classes and sexist armour is "fine"?

Good job on making excuses for misogyny by blaming it on the fact that they are... Korean?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
That shit is horrible. Shame on the developers for letting that crap ship with the game.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
What the hell is wrong with you, none of that was an "excuse"
"Like yeah, no shit that Koreans probably aren't keeping up on the social issues in America."
"I think this sort of conversation simply has not quite reached Korea yet"

This is kinda making excuses IMO. It's also not really true and erases Korean feminism.

But sure, something is wrong with me 🙄

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Not the only reason I didn't bite on this game, but it's definitely a contributing one.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I quit this game super fast when they gender locked classes... Like how????

Even final fantasy XI which is 20 years old never did this.

As for the armour thing, I hate that with a passion in games. Why can't I be a female warrior or tank and not have what is literally bikini bottoms or a thong for "armour". So many other MMOs do that right and some of them even KMMOs so it's not entirely a Korean thing.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Characters wearing heels doesn't usually bother me in other games but it's especially jarring in this one.

My martial artist character doing all these super quick punches and dashes all while wearing the highest heels possible just takes me out of it.

The locked clases is also a bummer. Really wanted to play a female knight kind of character but all of those are male only.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Like yeah, no shit that Koreans probably aren't keeping up on the social issues in America."

This is kinda making excuses IMO. It's also not really true and erases Korean feminism.

I'm so tired, literally everything I say on this forum gets twisted and what-not just because I'm horrible at expressing myself.

I was -not- trying to -excuse- this behaviour. Not what I intended to do, not what I meant. And I'm not "erasing" anything because I literally said that I'd love to be proven wrong. Educate me then, instead of just being rude to me for no reason.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Saw everyone streaming it so I downloaded it yesterday. Saw gender locked classes and thought "oh no…" made a female character and saw the walk animation and uninstalled.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just do not get the point of gender-locked classes period - Even the ones that are like "oh, this isn't actually gender-locked, it's just locked to one specific character model/sprite" like DFO, Elsword, etc.

usually I just go "w/e, same old" when I see that female characters are more or less stuck with sexy armor and/or stuck being the same body shape (+ maybe you can change the "bust"), but the animations... wtf

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Over sexualized and gender locked classes are garbage. It's a shame because the rest of the game is fun.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

HitB.gif

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gender locked classes will always be sexist and transphobic bullshit. Why can't my Paladin be a woman? Why can't my Sorceress be a Sorcerer? Why do we have to have ability differences between male and female (Deadeye and Gunslinger respectively) versions of a class?

I'm enjoying the game a lot, but this is almost a dealbreaker for me.

The game has some pretty bad depictions of women in it's story too - so far, as of level 30-35, most of the active participants in the story have been men, and any women have been supporting roles or side characters at best. There are two female villains who recently appeared, but one of them is the embodiment of the "Evil Skimpy Sexy Devil" trope.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of subtlety in every aspects is exhausting and a bit put off, but otherwise a fun game. Same moment when I saw my assassin walk away from the priest in the prologue, I went omg her spine.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

🙏 thank you

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Saddens me that Korean MMO's are still doing this shit. Bounced right off of Tera because of gender locking classes. I don't want to play someone else in a MMO I want to play me. The costumes are still ridiculous I see.
I can't believe that companies still think gender locking classes is a good idea. I've never met or seen a single person that likes that shit and that includes the chuds.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Gender-locked classes and sexist armour is "fine"?

Good job on making excuses for misogyny by blaming it on the fact that they are... Korean?

It's better than most Korean mmo games for sure, believe me, not an excuse but some people loves those kind of armor too, male and female included.

I wish for better armor or at least a choice for people that don't like them, we'll see how Amazon will react for future content.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
"A decade out of date" is generous. Maybe two decades. Dragon's Crown got roasted for its misogyny in 2013. Tropes v. Women in Video Games dates back to 2013. I think that shit would have gotten ridiculed even back in 2012 lol

I'm so tired, literally everything I say on this forum gets twisted and what-not just because I'm horrible at expressing myself.
OK. Sorry you're so tired. I'm tired of all these incredibly exhausting topics about gender and feminism myself and having to constantly "educate" dudes about basic feminism too. Been doing it for like... a decade now?

So, I guess we're even.

I was -not- trying to -excuse- this behaviour. Not what I intended to do, not what I meant. And I'm not "erasing" anything because I literally said that I'd love to be proven wrong. Educate me then, instead of just being rude to me for no reason.
Feminism exists in Korea. It just receives very intense backlash whenever it gets the tiniest amount of spotlight. E.g.
www.theglobeandmail.com

Opinion: A vicious anti-feminist backlash stuns South Korea

Amid mounting frustration over jobless woes and growing wealth inequality, feminists have become an easy scapegoat for men to vent their anger on
kotaku.com

In South Korea, Gamers Stage An Inquisition Against Feminists

On March 26, a top game development studio in Korea released an unusual statement about one of its employees: “The woman was mistaken in retweeting a tweet with the word ‘hannam,’” derogatory Korean slang for “disgusting men.” It continued, “In the aftermath of this incident, I promise that we...

Hell, Lost Ark itself got some attention a few months ago:

So, it is wrong to say that "they haven't had this conversation yet". There has been conversations, or attempts. Dudes just shut women down. Like they always do...

All of this was just a google search away btw

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
How the hell did they animate those without bursting out laughing?
A) there's a kind of contingent of development that actively wants to push against the kind of criticism that points out shit representation like this. It's not like no one on that team hasn't heard this shit, but more like they think they can sell to the people angrily opposed to it

B) Look at the post going around about someone angry that Aloy has fucking peachfuzz on her skin.

It's clear there's people that actually have zero idea what a human woman actually looks like. Even if it's a stylized anime-leaning kind of thing, women can obviously only be presented like ________. Rocksteady's awful mocap work when animating Catwoman in the video above - this shit is done by dudes who have no idea how to present a female character as confident, sassy or comfortable in any way beyond "Umm.... she's constantly stretching? And... always swaying...?"

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I fired up Lost Ark last night and cringed so hard during that character creator. Then, once I made my character I cringed again at the walk animation.

Holy shit its bad. I think i'd be embarrassed if my wife walked in on me playing this.

I also played it for a few hours and it bored me to tears. I don't think ill be returning.