• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is the best Mario Kart?

• Super Mario Kart / Mario Kart: Super Circuit

Votes: 80 6.8%
  • Mario Kart 64

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Votes: 214 18.2%
  • Mario Kart DS

Votes: 151 12.8%
  • Mario Kart Wii

Votes: 48 4.1%
  • Mario Kart 7

Votes: 19 1.6%
  • Mario Kart 8

Votes: 810 68.9%

• Total voters

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
The thing is, there are two different things here:

I think Mario Kart Wii is the worst of the bunch. But if I was stranded on a island with just one Mario Kart, I'd rather have Mario Kart Wii over 64, DS, Super Circuit, Super...
It's a concept of obsolete. Same as Mario Kart 7. No doubt I would I prefer it over pretty much everything that came before it.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
DD is the best but the addition of online could have changed my opinion, because in MK8 I never played offline anymore and that's one of the reason I hate that entry, they took bad decisions for the metagame imo.

On the other hand MK Wii's online was great for me.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Super Mario Kart was the best, cause it was still about driving and sliding skills. Every other Mario Kart suddenly changed the focus mostly to gimmicks.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Double Dash is way at the top of my list. I'm not surprised to see most people rank 8 above it, but I'm glad it's got the #2.

Dec 22, 2017
For me personally, while it was great in the late 90s, Mario Kart 64 doesn't have much going for it in 2020. The controls are awkward, it doesn't have any unique mechanics or modes and the majority of the tracks are surprisingly lackluster when compared to later games.

the music and atmosphere are still my favorite. I will admit the controls are awkward by today's standards though.

Hello.

Jan 20, 2020
I don't like Mario Kart 8 from a gameplay perspective. Way more luck-based than other MKs of ever before and the roster is absolutely mediocre that it's a parody.

Hello.

Jan 20, 2020
I've only really played 64, Wii, and 8 Deluxe... why is Wii so hated?
In a mainstream sense, the game wasn't too good. The motion controls, which were all the rave, were utterly terrible and nearly unplayable compared to a traditional controller. The item balance was all over the place, especially considering 12 players, with weird things like the Thundercloud item which punished you and never returned in future titles. The roster was decent, but with odd choices, and it was not balanced at all, especially the stats. The karts and bikes were a unique mechanic but completely overshadowed by inward drifting bikes which were not only far superior in every aspect but also far more controllable than the karts.

The good things about the game? The graphics were pretty good for a Wii game, the tracks were nice and varied, and the introduction of tricks, halfpipes, 12 player races, and worldwide online were really good. It's still enjoyed by a niche competitive community (yes, I know, it's Mario Kart).

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'd rank the games differently if I'm saying which is "the best" and which did I have the most fun with - mainly due to when they came out and who I got to play with at that time.

Opa-Opa

Banned
Oct 16, 2018
People who want skill, wonder how they manage at 200cc in 8/8D.

Hardest thing ever in Mario Kart history.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
imo

774I77e.png

I used to be ride-or-die for Double Dash, but I've soured on it over the years, lol.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Actually... that list is pretty damn solid!

The series definitely (pretty much.... barring Wii) gets better with time. As much as I can sit here and tell you how much I love 64 and Double Dash due to nostalgia, 8 is definitely the most fleshed out. Can't wait for 9. Having owned a Wii U, I'm very tired of 8 by now.

Oct 27, 2017
The good things about the game? The graphics were pretty good for a Wii game, the tracks were nice and varied, and the introduction of tricks, halfpipes, 12 player races, and worldwide online were really good. It's still enjoyed by a niche competitive community (yes, I know, it's Mario Kart).
I'll add that it gave birth to a bunch of funny youtube rage compilations. Never has an online game made me as angry and happy at the same time as MK Wii. (online was introduced in DS though)

CKT

Banned
Feb 1, 2020
It's tough, 64 DS and 8 are my definite favorites. I'd say DS > 8 > 64

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I have such nostalgia for SMK that it's hard for me to be objective. The only one I truly loved after that one was MK8. I enjoyed just about all of them, don't get me wrong, but MK8 really was the one on Wii U and Switch that I was pretty obsessed with to a similar level as SMK.

Red_V2

Oct 25, 2017
I completely disagree. MK Wii is mechanically superior to any MK game and it's not even close imo. I've been meaning to make a thread on why it's so good.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a generational thing, that and super circuit are just the worst MK titles imo next to the mobile game

It's not even generational. Most people who grew up with SMK don't even seem to prefer it over the more recent ones. It's still the best for me because it's the only game (well, maybe SC...) that's a racing game first and foremost with some battle elements. The subsequent Mario Karts shifting the focus to weapons, which can be really fun, but isn't as satisfying to me as what SMK offers, warts* and all.

Double Dash and MK8 are far and away the best two "modern" Mario Karts. The rest range from good (DS) to awful (64) but there are only three truly great games in the franchise.

*Wart needs to be in the next Mario Kart.

CKT

Banned
Feb 1, 2020
It's not even generational. Most people who grew up with SMK don't even seem to prefer it over the more recent ones. It's still the best for me because it's the only game (well, maybe SC...) that's a racing game first and foremost with some battle elements. The subsequent Mario Karts shifting the focus to weapons, which can be really fun, but isn't as satisfying to me as what SMK offers, warts* and all.

Double Dash and MK8 are far and away the best two "modern" Mario Karts. The rest range from good (DS) to awful (64) but there are only three truly great games in the franchise.

*Wart needs to be in the next Mario Kart.
I just find the 2D mario kart games really hard to play and lose my character :p

and yes Wart would be an awesome racer

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite is without question Mario Kart 8, but closely behind are 7 and DS. I think DS is weakened due to snaking, which took the fun out of the online for me.

Mario Kart Wii was fun, but just maddening with the item balance and resulting spam.

Mario Kart 64 has aged the worst for me, but I do love the soundtrack and have great nostalgia for the game regardless.

Mario Kart: Double Dash is hard to return to because I can't get used to not being able to jump into a drift, which throws off my steering altogether. Still love the game though as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the poll results is kind of funny.. MK7 is very solid and certainly not the worst game in the series, but it just isn't most people's favourite because it's "safe" and MK8 does it better, therefore MK7 just doesn't stand out anymore.

I think a similar result would be for Smash. Smash Wii U would have the least votes not because it's the worst smash game, but because Smash Ultimate does it better.

I think this shows a good sign in that Nintendo is now improving over the previous game as opposed to giving us a game that's better in some ways but worse in others.

Mario Tennis would be the same with Aces compared to Ultra Smash... Though in that case Ultra Smash really is trash.

The original Splatoon and Mario Maker also feel obsolete too. I really like how the Switch games in these series feel like the definitive versions.

I feel this isn't the case with Animal Crossing *yet*, as New Leaf was packed to the brim with content, but perhaps a few years in when the game is all said and done, it will also overshadow New Leaf.

If only Pokemon was like this...

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart 7
Mario Kart 64
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart Double Dash
Super Mario Kart
Mario Kart Super Circuit
Mario Kart Tour

Double Dash was always a really over rated game, Wii a really under rated game.