• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the best Mario Kart?

• Super Mario Kart / Mario Kart: Super Circuit

Votes: 80 6.8%
  • Mario Kart 64

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Votes: 214 18.2%
  • Mario Kart DS

Votes: 151 12.8%
  • Mario Kart Wii

Votes: 48 4.1%
  • Mario Kart 7

Votes: 19 1.6%
  • Mario Kart 8

Votes: 810 68.9%

• Total voters

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Double dash was so good. Choosing two characters based on their items and swapping to go for the right items at the right time was a great little mechanic that needs to come back somehow.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Because Mario Kart 8 was killing it, I literally added the option to select two games in the poll and based on the results, it seems as if people are still only picking Mario Kart 8.

I guess MK8 is pretty good, eh?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Because Mario Kart 8 was killing it, I literally added the option to select two games in the poll and based on the results, it seems as if people are still only picking Mario Kart 8.

I guess MK8 is pretty good, eh?
I still only picked MK8. It's the only Mario Kart I'd consider to be great.

I've only played the home console versions but I think they've basically gotten better with every game. The only exception might be Double Dash and Wii being swapped. Maybe. I really liked the two character mechanic and unique items.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
DS is my personal favorite for the online at the time, mission mode, and mechanics that clicked with me like no other game in the series. MKWii is the most interesting game competitively. 64 is also in that same tier, and is more accessible to newcomers in that regard since the competitive scene doesn't take advantage of wonky physics engine. MK8 is probably the strongest package, especially for the casual/average consumer.

Starkiller

Jan 30, 2018
DS is way too low on the list. It had a ton of amazing tracks, such as Luigi's Mansion, WaluigI Pinball and Aidship Fortress. It had the best battle mode courses. And it had a great roster too

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Very much disagree on the most important thing you mentioned: the tracks.

7 has some of the best tracks in the series.

Yeah, I don't get why people say that 7 has poor track design. Every one of these is great, and the Wuhu Island tracks set the stage for the brilliance of Mt. Wario.

Oct 25, 2017
I never actually liked the fact they stopped using just carts (or karts) and didn't that start with the GBA or DS entries?

Mario Kart 7 was wrongfully panned because it came out when the 3DS was still being maligned for being the 3DS.

I'm going to recommend changing Mario Kart 8's controls to act more like a racing game (ie use the triggers for acceleration) and play some more soon.

But all in all? MK 64 for me - the single player, multi and battle modes all were equal parts perfect in my eyes.

The end credits really showed off those beautiful courses, kinda wish we got more 3D games in those places. Especially Koopa Troopa Beach.

Apr 21, 2018
Mario Kart 64 has a special place in my heart because I was at a great age to play the shit out of it with my friends. I also think 7 and DS are both fucking amazing. Absolutely great games....

But I think 8 is probably the best. Its tough though.

edit:

This looks like a perfect list. Not 100% decided on DS and 7, not sure if I would swap them because I havent played in a while. But I can get behind this list for sure.

MK7 was pretty great. It felt like the game paved (pun intended) the way towards the power sliding and weapon balance bliss of MK8. It was also the first MK to have a solid and fun online mode. MKDS was half broken and full of cheaters/snakers.

But MKDS had the mission mode, ROB, and felt like a truly big jump for a handheld game. It also has a really great battle mode that introduced bots, and also had a true elimination style mode —> which we haven't had since IIRC.

So I give MKDS the slight* nod over MK7.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Lmao mk7 does not belong above ds. Lack of single player content, horrendous roster, unbalanced kart combinations, a Maka Wuhu fest that plagued the online for 5 MONTHS.

It was clearly rushed to help out with the underperforming 3ds, and man does it show.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Super MK and MK64 are way too low on that list.
The MP battle mode in MK64 is legendary and still unrivalled.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surprised how high Double Dash is since back in 2003 reviewers weren't all particularly thrilled

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any Mario Kart where you have more options beyond "choose your character" cannot be the best Mario Kart. Shit's suppose to be dumb fun casual party garbage, not goddamned Gran Turismo.

Oct 28, 2017
I personally loved MK64 the best. Partially because I was in high school at the time and would play local multiplayer for hours on end. And partly because I felt like I had super precise control in that game. All the games that follow I feel like I'm being taken on a roller coaster rather than racing.

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
MKDS is my literal GOAT game, so many memories man

How is there still no single player mode after Mission Mode was a thing ages ago

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
My rankings:

1. Mario Kart 8 - Godlike in every aspect. The only flaw is no Diddy Kong.
2. Mario Kart Wii - This game is ugly as sin but captures the high speed spirit and craziness of the series
3. Mario Kart DS - Faithful translation of the series to a handheld. Maybe I'm a bit nostalgic since it was the first online Mario Kart (for me). Snakers go away.
4. Mario Kart 64 - FOUR PLAYER MARIO KART. It still has some of the best tracks and the king of battle maps: Block Fort
5. Mario Kart Super Circuit - Good for what it was, a Mario Kart game on GBA.
6. Super Mario Kart - This game actually made me nauseous the first few times I played it (something with the Mode 7), but it's a very solid start to the franchise. Maybe technically better than Super Circuit who cares.
7. Mario Kart Double Dash - I didn't like the twin racer gimmick at all and many of the maps, outside of the brilliant Baby Park, are incredibly boring.
8. Mario Kart 7 - I don't know why this game runs me the wrong way, but I didn't have fun with it at all. It just didn't control the way I wanted it too. Gotta give it props for introducing kart customization though.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
1. 8 Deluxe
2. DS

8 is just amazing all around. DS is worth playing due to the amazing mission mode. The rest are just worse versions of these two and therefore irrelevant.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
12 players chucking items and the tracks having to be wider could be a bit much. 7, DS, and 8 are definitely the best and double dash is super good especially if you were really into the GameCube at the time. My kids like to play it because of the two-in-one functionality.

I don't really get the wider tracks complaint, I kind of like having more room at times plus the tracks tend to have more shortcuts and alternate paths than 8.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The only interesting game mechanically is Double Dash. It requires a lot of thinking even in first place.

All the other games require
1. Know the track well enough to get in first early
2. Hold a green shell behind you

Double Dash felt like more of a slug fest battle game than a racing game. The rest just felt like zany racing games, which really aren't that fun. And Battle Mode has sucked for fifteen years.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
No fan of the hate for the original.

My top 3 is

Mario Kart 8 DX
Mario Kart Double Dash
Super Mario Kart

After that it's iffy.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Mario Kart Wii is objectively the worst.

MK8 is damn good (Deluxe, obviously)

But I am the most fond of Super Circuit - real white knuckle tight Kart racing. Other games in the series are fun party racers, but SMK and Super Circuit are "true" Kart racers to those familiar with go-kart racing.

Oct 25, 2017
DS (Best Tracks)
8 Deluxe (Best Controls)
64 (Best music)

8 definitely has quantity on it side and it feels great, but the more I come back to it, the more I wish I actually liked more of the tracks.

Also, 8 Racers > 12

For the love of God, put MKDS on Switch like they did for the Wii U.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
DS for me. Has the best tracks, and if you wanted to play online there was actually a pretty sizable skill gap between people who effectively power slide, and those who don't.

MKDS just seemed to have the best skill curve of a Mario Kart in a long while, and I miss that about MK.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Mario Kart 64 is objectively the worst. Slippery controls, often broken physics and collision detection, muddy and unattractive mix of sprites and polygonal graphics, worst tracks in the series (it took the ingenious designers of 8 to fix a lot of them.) Doesn't hold up at all.

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Mario Kart Wii
4. Mario Kart DS
5. Super Mario Kart
6. Mario Kart: Double Dash
7. Mario Kart: Super Circuit
8. Mario Kart 7
9. Mario Kart: Tour
10. Mario Kart 64

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
MK64 was kinda the essential MK experience for me, I really loved its simplicity but would have liked more maps I suppose.

MKWii was the one I played the most, that game somehow got my entire family into Mario Kart and my parents actually prefer it to MK8D (mostly because they miss all the Wii maps that didn't make the cut)

I'd have ranked those two slightly higher, but this is a pretty decent ranking all things considered.

Oct 25, 2017
I never actually liked the fact they stopped using just carts (or karts) and didn't that start with the GBA or DS entries?

Mario Kart 7 was wrongfully panned because it came out when the 3DS was still being maligned for being the 3DS.

I'm going to recommend changing Mario Kart 8's controls to act more like a racing game (ie use the triggers for acceleration) and play some more soon.

But all in all? MK 64 for me - the single player, multi and battle modes all were equal parts perfect in my eyes.

The end credits really showed off those beautiful courses, kinda wish we got more 3D games in those places. Especially Koopa Troopa Beach.
What the hell is this narrative? There are very clear flaws to point to with MK7 and you think for whatever reason people just criticize it because 3DS, like 3D Land wasn't out at the same time crushing it.

I loved MK7 online, but as a single player experience it was a huge step back from the last two games. I couldn't even just practice with the computers outside of grand prix. Cool online and fun tracks, underwater racing is cool too, but come on.

手加減 TG

Dec 11, 2019
I put more hours into Super Mario Kart than the other eight titles combined. That game required some proper driving skills on 150cc.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Flip 7 and DS, and put both ahead of Double Dash. Also 8 needs to specifically be Deluxe. Even then I'd be tempted to bump DS even higher, hell of a game that one. It blew away every game in the franchise up to that point and truly elevated the series. Such good tracks/music/modes.

I really wish Mission Mode stayed with the franchise. :(

Oct 25, 2017
MK64 was kinda the essential MK experience for me, I really loved its simplicity but would have liked more maps I suppose.

MKWii was the one I played the most, that game somehow got my entire family into Mario Kart and my parents actually prefer it to MK8D (mostly because they miss all the Wii maps that didn't make the cut)

I'd have ranked those two slightly higher, but this is a pretty decent ranking all things considered.
And yet it remains the default nostalgic pick for Mario Kart tournaments. I literally play this at bars on widescreens with people. The lags is apparent, but it controls fine for everyone.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
Super Circuit is absolutely magnificent. I do still prefer Mario Kart 8 but I feel Super Circuit would be very highly regarded these days had multiplayer not been so much of a faff on GBA. It also has the best Rainbow Road, lined with jump pads. It made for hilariously panicked attempts to get back on track (or wild shortcuts for the more confident player).

It's definitely distinct enough from the original SMK to need its own poll option though.

They're mostly all great games though; Mario Kart 64 is the only one I don't enjoy playing (of the poll anyway; Tour isn't very good either).

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I agree 8 is the best, by some distance actually and I love the others. But I have super fond memories of the DS game. I was at uni and none of my mates played video games, whereas back home we were playing 64 and Smash Bros constantly. So the online mode in that was a real treat.

Nintendo have always had dogshit online but Mario kart was always the exception, it worked pretty flawlessly even on the DS