• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I don't really have the affinity for Star Wars that many people do but Fallen Order was cool. However EA has probably burned alot of money and time trying to make these games and my hope is that they get back to what they used to be when they would create original content. Star Wars probably is not worth it anymore.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Dude wtf, I know games are canceled all the time and we just never hear about it but theres no way that all three of these games were just not going well and there isnt a connect the dots that cant be played with them. Something is clearly going on at EA, most people claim its the forcing of Frostbite, many others say its the forced GAAS mechanics and structure, well whatever it is, hopefully after the success of Fallen Order we see clear steps taken to make sure it doesnt happen again for the same reason.
I think it's the inability of the executive team to recognise and fully support a creative vision (Amy Hennig at Visceral) combined with a desire for short term profits over building long term IP value (Mass Effect, Anthem, et al).

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of talent lost and studios closed too. I've heard way too many rumors of Lucasfilm being a nightmare to negotiate with too
From where?
I think it's the inability of the executive team to recognise and fully support a creative vision (Amy Hennig at Visceral) combined with a desire for short term profits over building long term IP value (Mass Effect, Anthem, et al).
game development is more complex than just following a person's creative vision. Sometimes things don't work out.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Just give me a new Rogue Squadron game EA.
I would love a new Empire at War too but I know EA isn't going to make a PC only RTS so I'll make do with the Star Wars mod for Sins of a Solar Empire.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I'm sure you're aware of how people generally feel about EA's management of the SW IP. It's nothing personal, but it's not crazy to think a different publisher would have handled the license more competently.

I bet they thought the complaints would simmer down after the single player Star Wars game fans were clamoring for got released to very good critical and commercial success. But you're here defending what's basically shitposting.

They've had SW a long time and have a lot of money and resources they could have made more games.

Three games in that IP this generation alone. How many other licensed properties have more frequent game releases?
Needless to say that all three games sold very well and have made lots of money for Disney.
what's the bar for success? 5 Star Wars games in 7 years? 6?

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
It is hard to imagine a franchise with more potential for great videogames than Star Wars.

First person shooter
Third person Action RPG
KOTOR-style RPG
X-Wing/TIE-Fighter sims
Strategy games
X-COM style tactics game

And the list goes on.
Star Wars is probably the most versatile IP for gaming there is. Basically every major genre you could do, and even most of the niche ones.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Realistically, Ubi should get SW license.

Hope Disney will review their decision with EA after the deal has expired. What a travesty.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
So Battlefront 3 isn't in dev at all. The game they were supposed to release this fall, s spinoff, was canned. They have nothing to show for the fall. Another year till battlefield, and multiple years till a new rpg of any kind.

Shit. Show.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Three games in that IP this generation alone. How many other licensed properties have more frequent game releases?
Needless to say that all three games sold very well and have made lots of money for Disney.
what's the bar for success? 5 Star Wars games in 7 years? 6?

The bar for success is what we once had in Star Wars games. Games spanning different periods and genres. From shooters to strategy games to RPGs the IP was incredibly versatile.

Also this gen Warhammer had a lot of high quality games in different genres released. 2 high quality left 4 dead style games, 2 very high quality strategy games and smaller stuff like Action RPGs and SRPGs too.

Star Wars games need to go back to licencing out and not being exclusively sold to one publisher. It doesn't benefit anyone, not even Disney, since they get a lot of bad PR because of this and how the IP is handled.

That would not be the case if projects would be announced regularly from different publishers.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
They shouldn't sign with a single publisher and instead take pitches from everyone and just greenlight the ones they think are good and trust enough to deliver a quality project.
Can't wait for the next cancelled project. Fucking bozos.
EA really isn't getting the most out of this license are they.
Oh yeah I 100% agree. I hope that's the route they choose to go down!
We're going to end up with more cancelled Star Wars games than released ones once EA finally loses the license.
Im not gonna act like games don't get cancelled all the time. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, you name it probably cancel games all the time. That being said I cannot wait for their exclusivity deal to end. I want some fuckin' Star Wars games and to me its better if a whole slew of different developers have their hands on Star Wars than just 1. That way even if a bunch of publishers are canceling Star Wars games you'll still get a few every so often unlike the minuscule output of Star Wars over at EA.
I will be incredibly bummed if EA re ups the license with Disney. Even though I liked Fallen Order, it will have been a giant waste of the IP for ten years
I hope Disney doesn't continue their contract with EA. Has been nothing but cancer and EA trying to save face after falling out of Disney's good graces.

Nothing has been worth the years the IP has been under hostage.

Does anyone remember the last decade of LucasArts? Internally they developed 2 Star Wars games between 2006 and 2016. 10 years, 2 games. What games might you ask? The Force Unleashed, and The Force Unleashed 2 (The one that is only a few hours long, and filled with reused assets).

I feel like people also forget that during this time, the vast majority of the licensed out games were also terrible, with the exception of debatably Empire At War and The Old Republic. Take a look at this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LucasArts_games

I feel like the IP itself got cursed in 2006.

This is to say nothing of the way Disney has been handling it. That's also what gives me no hope for _any_ publisher doing anything good with it. Changing something like the color of someone's boots in the game can take weeks of back and forth with Disney, let alone, you know, actually designing the worlds/story/gameplay. Even if UbiSoft, Activision or whoever else makes Star Wars games, they are also going to be stuck under the same rules.

How? They weren't the ones who cancelled Pandemic's BF3
They were not even involved?

As far as I know, Pandemic was never working on a Battlefront III. Free Radical Design was, however. EA had nothing to do with that.

Lol, so many missed opportunities... Hell, I'd pay for PSVR game :D I really loved the ONE mission they released for SW:B1. Hell, I bought the game for PS4, just so I can play that ONE mission every once in a while. I don't play the multiplayer or with bots and I don't like to play FPS on consoles. They could recreate famous SW battles in PSVR, released them for 20 bucks, and I would have bought them ....

You speak the truth. They could have released $15-$20 or so 20 minute missions with some replay value. That would have sold pretty well, especially if the just used Battlefront assets.

Just keep on updating battlefront 2 and improve on that, if you gonna GaaS games, might as well just have the one game and no need for sequels which keep resetting your progress/collection

I am of the opinion that you'd need to gut Battlefront 2's gameplay to actually make _playing_ it fun. (This is my personal opinion. I played 100s of hours of each of the past 3 Console Battlefront games.)

Working on a Star Wars game at EA sounds pretty stressful.
I cannot wait till the EA-Star Wars deal ends. Just so everyone on this forum might actually see just how big of a hand Disney/Lucasfilm plays in the game development.

It's difficult for EA to develop games based on Star Wars. They have to check so many boxes like the games having to be 100% canon while also not stepping on any toes of any other planned or potential film/tv/comic uses of the IP. And also having to hit very specific deadlines, to fit into the massive Star Wars marketing and release campaign. Which is the biggest reason for Viscerals canceled game. Missed deadlines. NOT because it was single player only.

There's so many cogs moving in Disneys Star Wars machine, and it's gotta keep operating exactly how Disney wants it.

Remember that Respawn/EA reportedly had to basically beg Disney/Lucasfilm to let their game use Jedi and lightsabers.

Yup. EA hasn't really been making the magic happen, but let's not jump into the "It's all EA's fault", when it's only like half their fault."

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Working with Disney is quite a challenge from what we could see in the Fallen Order "making of" documentary. So seeing these cancelled projects isn't much of a surprise. All I ever wanted from that deal was a Kotor/Bethesda like RPG where you can forge your own path and character.
Star wars prints money. Battlefront and Fallen orders mediocrity, plus Battlefront 2s millions despite being a literal dumpster fire at launch prove that. Its not Rocket Science.
Hmm, MAYBE they're not as mediocre as you think, considering these games have a consistently big player base and sales. Whatever fits your narrative I guess.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Star wars prints money. Battlefront and Fallen orders mediocrity, plus Battlefront 2s millions despite being a literal dumpster fire at launch prove that. Its not Rocket Science.

What the fuck are you on about?
While Battlefront has been tainted by mtx the game itself is really good and Jedi Fallen Order is an awesome game and a really solid project.

Oct 25, 2017
Fallen Order is like 4 months old.
Oh, 1 decent complete game in the 7 years of exclusivity

Meanwhile 2003:
Star_Wars_Galaxies_Box_Art.jpg
Star_Wars_Rogue_Squadron_III_-_Rebel_Strike_Coverart.png
Jabox.jpg
Kotorbox.jpg

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
game development is more complex than just following a person's creative vision. Sometimes things don't work out.
Obviously, but they didn't give Hennig the resources that she was expecting. They thought the studio was too expensive so didn't provide enough staff and wasted her time on Battlefield Hardline DLC rather than focusing on what could have been the Star Wars game many have been waiting for.

The one success was with Respawn, who seem to have strong creative leadership and the resources to complete a project.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that. Give KOTOR to CDPR.
Keep this movie tie-in crap as fuck away from CDPR as physically possible, please. We already have about half of the industry working on various Hollywood (meaning "Disney") tie-ins and it's already a sad outlook for the next several years thanks to that.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They are a huge company . They must be cancelling more games than they make.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Meanwhile 2003:
Star_Wars_Galaxies_Box_Art.jpg
Star_Wars_Rogue_Squadron_III_-_Rebel_Strike_Coverart.png
Jabox.jpg
Kotorbox.jpg

great! There are 9 years between 2003 and 2013 when EA secured the exclusive license where are the flood of Star Wars games between 2003 and 2013? by your logic, we should have had about 36 great games, right?
Truth be told, it makes no sense to do a direct comparison between then - when games were much cheaper, less risky ventures - and now when games are risky, expensive and can easily fail.

finally, the Battlefront series are actually quite good. Can EA truly be blamed because you don't like multiplayer shooters?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those years were under towards the end LucasArts and the beginning of Disney's acquisition. That is in no way a comparison of what to expect if Disney doesn't renewal a contract with EA.

But if you think the options is either a variety of uncertain quality releases spread over a large amount of time. Or to continue with the IP locked into a cancerous company that continues predatory practices, limits the overall scope and design of their games, with intent to lock players into a a game designed to make them spend more money. I rather choose a decade of lower quality games made by a variety of companies.

Nov 8, 2017

Meanwhile 2003:

Meanwhile in 2003 you could make an industry leading game with 50 people and ~2 years of development time, game budgets were consequently a small fraction of what they are today, and there were a huge number of work for hire studios who were capable of making games that were "high budget" for the era. Regrettably we don't live in 2003 anymore.

Electronic Arts was an attractive partner because they were willing to assign ~1000+ developers to the licence on their own money. It's almost inconceivable to imagine Ubisoft or Activision in the same era just throwing 5 studios on it like EA did, because it would have meant massive disruptions to their own franchises.

We might have got some creative AA tier stuff if the licence was open to whomever was willing to make games in it, but developing AAA titles when you don't have any kind of exclusivity to the IP seems very unlikely. It's not like Marvel stuff where "Avengers" and "Spiderman" are attractive IPs in their own right.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sad time in which I think the gaming community would have had more good games to play if Activision had the Star Wars contract

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Disney doesn't continue their contract with EA. Has been nothing but cancer and EA trying to save face after falling out of Disney's good graces.

Nothing has been worth the years the IP has been under hostage.

With it's current ownership it's always going to be under hostage. EA is only part of the problem, you can probably make a stronger argument that Disney is the main issue with how controlling they are.

Stig built a team to make a melee combat focused game and Disney wanted them to make a shooter. Square Enix gets alot of shit for taking so long to make a Kingdom Hearts game, but Disney is making them submit the same cutscene multiple times because they're slightly concerned about the expression that Woody is making. They struggle just making normal Star Wars movies and video games are even harder to make and it's an area that they have little to no experience in.

Until Disney gets more hands off with the IP then developers are going to struggle shipping quality titles.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Or to continue with the IP locked into a cancerous company that continues predatory practices, limits the overall scope and design of their games, with intent to lock players into a a game designed to make them spend more money

Again, this is a weird argument, given that EA just released a single player, MTX free game and that all loot boxes were taken out of battlefront 2.
What feels artificially limited about Jedi Fallen Order?

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already went through multiple decades of 90% of Star Wars games being disappointments or straight up awful games. I highly doubt Disney would be on board with anyone pitching something truly creative anyway.

I'm imagining Activision's Republic Commando, likely ruined by microtransactions introduced a month or so after launch. Bonus: Platinum contracted (and rushed) Jedi Power Battles. I have many fond memories of...ignoring how bad an experience it was to play that game.

Take Two presents Galactic Spacelands, made by Gearbox. It's like X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, but with loot galore!

Some kind of open-world tactical bounty hunter game by Ubisoft, not bad but nothing special...featuring optional currency to buy time savers, so essentially yet another Ubisoft game.

Microsoft-funded KOTOR reboot by Obsidian...well that would probably be great, bad example lol

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
If this was cacelled last year and was the project after Orca than it wasn't even far into developemet and was meant to be a small project if the target was 2020 next gen launch. Battlefront spin off makes it sound bigger than it likely was.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Didnt the current exec think the SW deal was a terrible idea? I doubt they will want to renew, they are obviously more inclined to create their own IP

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine heading a Star Wars game must be so fucking stressful, EA on one side and Lucasart's on the other, with it probably getting cancelled.
Anyhow I assume DICE are working on (a hopefully modern setting) next gen Battlefield given they weren't involved with this, which I'd be far more interested in. And have high hopes for Fallen Order 2, which will probably see the current EA deal done.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously, but they didn't give Hennig the resources that she was expecting. They thought the studio was too expensive so didn't provide enough staff and wasted her time on Battlefield Hardline DLC rather than focusing on what could have been the Star Wars game many have been waiting for.

The one success was with Respawn, who seem to have strong creative leadership and the resources to complete a project.
It wasn't the result of them not giving her resources.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll have to track it down, but it was a postmortem on what happened with Visceral Games and Amy Hennig's Star Wars games, with many expressing their frustrations at how Lucasfilm/Disney demanded they oversee every last minutia of their work. That meant the normal workflow of making a video game was significantly stalled as they couldn't just do a concept, get it approved, and move it on to the next team member to model and rig but instead had to pause their work, submit their ideas to Lucasfilm (in a different state at a different time zone) and then sit around waiting for their submission to get approved, which could take several hours or even days. And often the feedback wasn't an approval at all but something dumb like "change the fabric of this outfit" or "this character doesn't look like they should carry a blaster", so the process had to start all over.

When every step you take needs a day or two to be approved before you can move to the next step, it gets real frustrating real fast.

See below as well.

This is to say nothing of the way Disney has been handling it. That's also what gives me no hope for _any_ publisher doing anything good with it. Changing something like the color of someone's boots in the game can take weeks of back and forth with Disney, let alone, you know, actually designing the worlds/story/gameplay. Even if UbiSoft, Activision or whoever else makes Star Wars games, they are also going to be stuck under the same rules.
Working with Disney is quite a challenge from what we could see in the Fallen Order "making of" documentary. So seeing these cancelled projects isn't much of a surprise.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I really wonder how the situation would look like, if Disney wasn't so protective about Star Wars and thus wasn't surpressing artistic freedom because "everything has to be canon". Still think this does more harm than good.

Last we heard, Disney was actually pretty happy about how EA is handling Star Wars, which I'll never understand...
The games they've made are incredibly successful...not that complicated.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'll have to track it down, but it was a postmortem on what happened with Visceral Games and Amy Hennig's Star Wars games, with many expressing their frustrations at how Lucasfilm/Disney demanded they oversee every last minutia of their work. That meant the normal workflow of making a video game was significantly stalled as they couldn't just do a concept, get it approved, and move it on to the next team member to model and rig but instead had to pause their work, submit their ideas to Lucasfilm (in a different state at a different time zone) and then sit around waiting for their submission to get approved, which could take several hours or even days. And often the feedback wasn't an approval at all but something dumb like "change the fabric of this outfit" or "this character doesn't look like they should carry a blaster", so the process had to start all over
On the hother hand reports from the BF2 and Fallen Order devs have been positive when it comes to working with lucasfilm overseers. They get a lot of creative freedom it just has to fit within the SW universe and most designers don't inherently struggle with that idea. The idea that working with lucasfilm is a nightmare seems to be a gross exaggeration of what is a normal collaborative process where some ideas get shot down and/or and others get greenlit. On top of just trying to keep specific characters consistent so that we don't get stupid shit like this:

Like that post you quoted about the SW FO documentary, i've watched it, they never state that things are a nightmare, they state that there was a back and forth about the speed of Cal's force push.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, how are Disney looking at EA's stewdardship of the Star Wars license with anything other than apoplectic rage / frustration. It's been an absolute disaster of a licensing deal.