• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I love the state of the industry right now. This stuff is wild, and enough of the people making the decisions are good-spirited about it all that it usually works out.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Next thing Phil/Rare need to do is allow Nintendo to oversee the development of the next Banjo Game which will obviously be headed to Switch and Scarlet.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In this Kotaku article, it talks about an E3 2019 interview they had with XBox's Phil Spencer where he revealed that Microsoft is in fact, one of Nintendo's biggest third-party publishers for the Nintendo Switch and as a result, it was actually easy for Microsoft to make the deal to put Banjo in Smash, Phil Spencer also reveals that the licensing relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft "are kind of ongoing," I wonder if that could mean that Banjo could make a return to Nintendo.

kotaku.com

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Says Banjo In Smash Was An Easy Deal To Make

Nintendo’s penultimate E3 announcement today involved the addition of a Microsoft-owned character to Smash Bros. This kind of company crossover between two platform holders might seem extraordinary, but Xbox boss Phil Spencer said that it was actually a pretty easy deal.

Nintendo's penultimate E3 announcement today involved the addition of a Microsoft-owned character to Smash Bros. This kind of company crossover between two platform holders might seem extraordinary, but Xbox boss Phil Spencer said that it was actually a pretty easy deal.

"The 'how' is not actually that interesting," Spencer told me when I asked him how adding Banjo-Kazooie to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate came about.

"Obviously we're one of the biggest third-party publishers on Switch, so we have great relationships with their third-party team.
And you've seen the ambition they've had with every character that's ever been in Smash and even more. So it was just kind of part of the partnership relationship we have with them."

"There wasn't anything kind of CEO-to-CEO that had to happen," he said. "People have asked me on social [media]—I'm sure you've seen that—over many years: 'Would I welcome having Banjo in Smash?' and I've always been open to that."

Spencer noted that Microsoft has worked with Nintendo for a long time, publishing games on 3DS and Switch, and letting classic Rare games like the Donkey Kong Country series show up on Nintendo back-catalogue services. "The licensing relationships between the two companies, they're there and are kind of ongoing," he said. "The reason it's not some interesting, deep conversation is because with us owning Rare and the history between those two things, there are a lot of conversations over the years about, 'Hey, we want to do "X" is that okay?'"

"I think it's cool that Banjo is going to be in Smash," he added.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Sucks that they couldn't get Goldeneye in Rare Replay in exchange.

Phil Spencer also reveals that the licensing relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft "are kind of ongoing," I wonder if that could mean that Banjo could make a return to Nintendo.

I think he means what he said it means. If Nintendo wants to release an older Rare game, they talk to MS about it and MS is fine with it.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Sucks that they couldn't get Goldeneye in Rare Replay in exchange.

I think he means what he said it means. If Nintendo wants to release an older Rare game, they talk to MS about it and MS is fine with it.

If Phil Spencer can beat Miyamoto in smash, then he gets to add Goldeneye to the digital release.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
and letting classic Rare games like the Donkey Kong Country series show up on Nintendo back-catalogue services.

This seems weird to me. As an owner of Donkey Kong I'd assume Nintendo owns the rights to DKC, and that it's not really about Microsoft "letting them release it".

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
This seems weird to me. As an owner of Donkey Kong I'd assume Nintendo owns the rights to DKC, and that it's not really about Microsoft "letting them release it".
Nintendo owns the rights to the Donkey Kong IP, but Rare owns the game code. Neither Microsoft nor Nintendo can do anything with the games without each other's permission. (unless Microsoft wanted to completely re-skin the game and remove all references to Donkey Kong, they could do that lol)

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Nintendo owns the Donkey Kong character, but Rare made the game so they own that. MS can't release it because they don't own DK, but Nintendo needs MS's permission to release it since Rare owns the code.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I don't think it's just between Microsoft and Nintendo to make a GoldenEye 007 rerelease happen, though. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Activision lost the James Bond license, so... Nintendo, Rare, and... EON Productions? And maybe Activision too if they own some parts of the game?

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nintendo owns the rights to the Donkey Kong IP, but Rare owns the game code. Neither Microsoft nor Nintendo can do anything with the games without each other's permission. (unless Microsoft wanted to completely re-skin the game and remove all references to Donkey Kong, they could do that lol)
Nintendo owns the Donkey Kong character, but Rare made the game so they own that. MS can't release it because they don't own DK, but Nintendo needs MS's permission to release it since Rare owns the code.
The DKC games have always been fully owned by Nintendo. The thing is that the code was not well preserved so Nintendo can't modify the games to remove the Rare logo from them, which is the latter's trademark.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
That's something I kept reminding people of (especially during the crazy rumors at the beginning of the year), Microsoft is first and foremost seen as a third-party partner by Nintendo.

Wake me up when Nintendo allows Gamepass on Switch or when they offer something to Microsoft.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
The DKC games have always been fully owned by Nintendo. The thing is that the code was not well preserved so Nintendo can't modify the games to remove the Rare logo from them, which is the latter's trademark.

This seems to be the most likely explanation to me.

It's not as if Microsoft will gain anything by saying no, so I guess it's really not a big deal.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
That's something I kept reminding people of (especially during the crazy rumors at the beginning of the year), Microsoft is first and foremost seen as a third-party partner by Nintendo.

Wake me up when Nintendo allows Gamepass on Switch or when they offer something to Microsoft.

Wake you up when Nintendo allows Microsoft to get a cut of their own games? Or wake you up when Nintendo adopts Microsoft's vision of putting their software on as many devices as possible. Quite a high bar you set there.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Just dump your entire 360 library on Switch, Microsoft. It's a two way win, you'll earn crazy amounts of money and attract a different kind of audience to your consoles.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Wake you up when Nintendo allows Microsoft to get a cut of their own games? Or wake you up when Nintendo adopts Microsoft's vision of putting their software on as many devices as possible. Quite a high bar you set there.
I know, only then it would be a megaton. I'm implying that the current relationship between the two isn't surprising to the least.

It's a normal third party to platform holder relationship.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I know, only then it would be a megaton. I'm implying that the current relationship between the two isn't surprising to the least.

It's a normal third party to platform holder relationship.

Microsoft is a platform holder so their approach isn't normal. They're the only one of the three doing it. You're downplaying things for no reason.

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine this looks like bait but it truly isn't I just find it hard to understand:

N64 games on a potential Classic system - known to be somewhat difficult to emulate so 'something' (whatever that may be) has to happen. Right now that something is 'no N64 Mini'. And a dearth of virtual console news that could mean emulated N64 titles on modern systems.

Rare Replay had a mix of emulated N64 titles plus previously 'remixed' games that also could be ported elsewhere, theoretically.

Are these two things mutually exclusive?

Can we straight up ask if this issue can be solved if all these parties address it?

Years ago this was of course a pipe dream but with so much collaboration and cross play now especially, there's a lot of smoke but no fire.

I still remember Peter Moore giving an interview recounting his time at Xbox not even considering Nintendo in the competition during his tenure, but of course that changed during it.

Couldn't have predicted this level of friendship and amicable behaviour during those times.

Jan 20, 2019
Perfect example of two different companies that can both work together and compete in the same market, at the same time. The next generation will laugh at the archived threads and posts of the "console wars".

But also, I'm trying to catch up on what's been happening in the world of Halo for the past decade or so. I hear there's a cool collection floating around these days...

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft is literally the best selling third party game on Switch in Japan(of all places) and I wouldn't be surprised if that was true worldwide.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Microsoft is a platform holder so their approach isn't normal. They're the only one of the three doing it. You're downplaying things for no reason.
Well we've known Microsoft's approach and I'm not downplaying it, it's one of the greatest things that could happen this gen, but about this specific deal though, I'm just depicting it as Phil Spencer does.

It's not a special thing since they've been a third party partner since the Wii U days.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well we've known Microsoft's approach and I'm not downplaying it, it's one of the greatest things that could happen this gen, but about this specific deal though, I'm just depicting it as Phil Spencer does.

It's not a special thing since they've been a third party partner since the Wii U days.

Technically they've been a third party partner since the GBA days. Gamecube and Wii are the only Nintendo systems to lack a Microsoft game since the Xbox released.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Technically they've been a third party partner since the GBA days. Gamecube and Wii are the only Nintendo systems to lack a Microsoft game since the Xbox released.
I guess, but nonetheless the relationship was revived with Spencer in charge and Mojang's acquisition that initiated this whole strategy.