• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why delaying the game wasn't a valid option. They knew up front at best they would get around 70s in metacritic scores and were OK with that. I find that kind of shocking considering Anthem was supposed to be their flagship game.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didnt notice that with BFV to be fair. Overall i think DICE has the best handle of things with engine wich makes sense. And the engine isnt really made to be used by other teams and other type of games.
I mean did you play BFV right when it launched?

It was R O U G H and it took them a really long time to fix the really major game breaking stuff.

They may have the best handle on the engine out of all of EAs other studios but they do not have a good handle on the engine at all.

Battlefront 2 still has major bugs that are in it since launch. Netcode and hit detection are a mess. Sound bug took > 1 year to improve and still happens on certain maps.

That dev from DICE has no right to trash talk other studios management of Frostbite given how shittily DICE themselves handle it.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Also, Mass Effect 3 and Inquisition were great games released to commercial and critical acclaim so I don't really understand that point.
They were already heavily catered towards something more... corporate in their image than their previous entries like Mass Effect 2 (1 especially though) or DA2 or DA:O.
They had "That was fucking... awesome" written all over them and not in a good way.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Bioware's response, and Jason's response to their response.

The game we got makes complete sense to have been made in 18 months. It definitely shows.

Also, said it several times, but all they had to do was glance at Destiny or something else in the genre and take note of what they did right/wrong. Funny to see that they actively avoided doing this.

Deleted member 26900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure they don't care. It works as intended for the games it was designed for that they continue to make.

Their engine is fine... for a very specific purpose. It's like saying a hammer is terrible when what you really need is a screw driver.

That's fair. It seems like BioWare is looking for a flathead though.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
ND is known to do this. They boast about how their games come together at the very end.

Most recently SSM did it with GoW. Yoshida played the game 5 months before launch and left without saying a word because it wasnt even close to being finished. its just the nature of game development. I think sony studios work because they usually pick one or two directors and let the rest of their team follow their creative vision.
Yup yup. I feel with Sony studios there is at least much better communication, management, clear vision, and leadership. Same with Activision as someone mentioned before in this thread. Bioware just kinda fell apart over a period of years with no clear direction, vision, or leadership it seems.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem looked like a game developed in 18 months, that wasn't surprising. To be honest, I don't care about that. Stuck on preproduction too long, reboots, that's not my concern. If it was a relatively happy dev team that spun in circles for too long, I wouldn't be too worried.

But workload, low morale, talent leaving, management issues, and frostbite again, all these things make me worry Bioware of old is no more.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they don't care. It works as intended for the games it was designed for that they continue to make.

Their engine is fine... for a very specific purpose. It's like saying a hammer is terrible when what you really need is a screw driver.
Exactly. Frostbite is a fantastic Engine for what it was created for. Trying to force everything else into Frostbite is the problem and that is not to say it cant be solved. The problem is EA is not going to dedicate the manpower resources to addressing the bigger picture which is tool support etc. for other types of games

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why delaying the game wasn't a valid option. They knew up front at best they would get around 70s in metacritic scores and were OK with that. I find that kind of shocking considering Anthem was supposed to be their flagship game.

EA needed it out by the end of the fiscal year and I guess either Bioware had to get something out or piss off EA. Gotta appease the shareholders.

Nov 3, 2017
I wonder what it's like at Bioware today. I'd like to be a fly on the wall.

Honestly, I'd imagine it'd be a pretty good day.

I've worked in offices with similarly lacking leadership, and normally complaints about leadership and other frustrations would be vented behind closed doors and in hush whispers. Seeing all your frustrations just out there, communicated to the wider public, could be pretty cathartic

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Why is Respawn free to use Source then?
Probably because they are a more recent acquisition.

Also, saying Bioware "chose to do X" is rather meaningless without knowing what kind of pressure they were put under to make that choice.

Like, the fact that their senior developers were being reassigned to FIFA because that makes more money tells them that they had better target GaaS, or else they'll be treated as a second rate studio.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
They were already heavily catered towards something more... corporate in their image than their previous entries like Mass Effect 2 (1 especially though) or DA2 or DA:O.
They had "That was fucking... awesome" written all over them and not in a good way.
I'm trying to but I'm afraid I'm not getting your point. What does "corporate" mean here and why were two perfectly fine games "catered towards it"? And why exactly do they lack artistic integrity?

Actually, how does Anthem lack artistic integrity when it's exactly what BioWare wanted to make, despite taking ages to decided what it even was?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Ignored lessons they could've learned from Destiny, sure, makes sense since it was a direct competitor.

Ignored lessons about online services from their own internal Star Wars: TOR studio?! LOL what are ya'll doing?
This is the part that made me put my head in my hands. By all accounts TOR has become a great game, and the examples of advice bioware austin gave that were completely ignored all sound like really insightful things that should have been listened to.

Also the whole thing about how gamers' derogatory views of the non Edmonton studios seeped into the studio culture itself sounds like a nightmare. Talking shit on forums without any perception of those you're slamming as real people can actually lead to their job being marginalized and made worse. Cool.

FRV

Oct 27, 2017
Have you played Battlefield V or Battlefront 2? Did you play Battlefield 4 at launch?

DICE are just as clueless in regards to Frostbite as any other studio is. Engine is a dumpster fire that makes pretty screenshots.

Tell me when there is a multiplayer shooter that have performance and visuals good as battlefield and battlefront.

Calling it dumpster fire is just rude.

Nov 3, 2017

Two primary reasons I can think of:
a) the game had already taken 6 years, in a sense. At some point, the fucking thing needs to get out there and make some money
b) metacritic scores in the 70s is a perfectly fine base to work off of. Destiny and Division both scored roughly around the 70s, and became juggernauts for their respective studios. Broadly, multiplayer service games tend to be less dependent on metacritic scores compared to single player games

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
7 years of development but didn't enter full production until 18 months before launch. Deja Vu from reading about Destiny 1, 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda.
Most definitely got vibes from his similar article about D1's development. I actually checked a couple of times to make sure I hadn't switched tabs or clicked a weird link by accident when coming back to it.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Said it looked like 18ish months of actual full production when it launched, not surprised that's what it turned out to be. You can tell when a game has done the minimum to come together in time.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's about money, and I guess competition. It has to be. They are not willing to pay license to Epic Games for UE4 when they can avoid it, and I'm also thinking in the era of Epic Games Store there must be some policy that makes them avoid UE4 because as a storefront they're now also competing with what Epic can do.
Of course it's about money but with all these EA devs coming out all the time complaining about how much Frostbite is hindering their development, with devs in this article saying that Frostbite turns quick fixes into week-long ordeals, one has to wonder whether licensing Unreal or having each studio build their own tech wouldn't actually be cheaper in the long run. The least EA could do is actually build a univeral in-house engine that is coded and designed from the ground up to be a universal in-house engine. It's pretty clear from all these articles and reports that Frostbite was never meant to be used by other studios or for things other than first-person games.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Most definitely got vibes from his similar article about D1's development. I actually checked a couple of times to make sure I hadn't switched tabs or clicked a weird link by accident when coming back to it.
I mean, think RE2 even if you will. I think way more games go through this kind of process than we realise. It's just as if BioWare is this special blend of messy, inept management of hackneyed programming solutions with indecisive top-level decisions.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem was always envisioned as an online multiplayer game, according to developers who worked on it, but it wasn't always a loot shooter, the kind of game where you'd endlessly grind missions for new weapons. In these early versions, the idea was that you'd embark from a city and go out on expeditions with your friends, staying out in the world as long as you could survive. You'd use a robotic exosuit, and you'd fight monsters with melee and shooting attacks, but the focus was less on hoarding loot and more on seeing how long you could survive. One mission, for example, might take you and a squad to the center of a volcano, where you'd have to figure out why it was erupting, kill some creatures, and then fight your way back. "That was the main hook," said an Anthem developer. "We're going out as a team, going to try to accomplish something as a team, then come back and talk about it." Along the way, you could scavenge or salvage alien ships for parts and bring them back to your base in order to upgrade your weapons or enhance your suit.

Sounds fantastic, sad this never materialized.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tell me when there is a multiplayer shooter that have performance and visuals good as battlefield and battlefront.

Calling it dumpster fire is just rude.

Maybe your criteria needs to move past pretty visuals and raw FPS.

Maybe your criteria needs to include the game actually *functioning* properly and having minimal gamebreaking bugs.

Frostbite is a very pretty dumpster fire.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Very much wasn't Bioware's call to make.

As my former game instructor told us, a game is finished when the deadline hits or the money runs out. Bioware had spent YEARS the game, it had been delayed once already, and EA weighed the pros and cons of further sinking money into the game or pumping it out when they did in the hopes of recouping investment costs - which they could theoretically put back into the game post-launch for improvements.

The thing is... I doubt ANYONE at Bioware is surprised by the scores or reactions. They knew how long the load times were. They knew the glitches were there. They are well aware of the poor performance and shallow gameplay. They had to know the endgame was disappointing and the loot was subpar. None of that was surprising.

... But they had their deadline, come hell or high water, and delaying it further with no guarantee it was going to be substantially better in 6 months compared to release means that EA made the call to launch on the day they heavily promoted, even if it wasn't done yet.

Ok, people at EA and BioWare have repeatedly said it's not...but ok.
FORMER people at EA and Bioware say otherwise...

I'm sure nobody is holding a gun to Bioware's head to use Frostbite, but countless former EA employees have said that they are incentivized to use the engine over others, much like how there are countless Bioware projects that have been proposed that EA has shot down, but Anthem's pitch got approved. Nobody "forced" them to make Anthem, but they weren't given the means to make anything else WITH anything else.

EA's push for Frostbite isn't a "mandate" so much as it is a heavily endorsed implication that countless former devs and studios and employees have sounded out about as something they wished they didn't use.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Heads at Edmonton thinking their shit don't stink and not listening to the Austin branch, the studio with years of experience in melding story and online is so emblematic of the game.

Really it seems like EA should have popped in and put their foot down far far earlier. Like it was mentioned by another dev, EA gave Bioware the rope to hang themselves with.

knuckles

Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Discrediting Valid Journalism as Click-Bait
Anthem is pretty damn impressive for being made in 18 months. Just like dragon age 2. This journalist is trying to drum up controversy for cheap clicks but whatever game is fun.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. This plus Andromeda's troubles makes Bioware seem like one of the worst places to work in the industry.

EA needs to die.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
jschreier hitting us with so much well-written goodness. It's a shame that the EA mandate of Frostbite is making developers' lives hell, the war within BioWare vying for top spot amidst all this chaos, and the mental and physical degradation of employees that EA fails to acknowledge. It must be a miserable experience to try to create a project to change the world of video games without any true direction as to what it'll be before crunch starts destroying developers lives. A fucking shame, through and through.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It often felt to the Anthem team like they were understaffed, according to that developer and others who worked on the game, many of whom told me their team was a fraction of the size of developers behind similar games, like Destiny and The Division. There were a number of reasons for this. One was that in 2016, the FIFA games had to move to Frostbite. The annual soccer franchise was EA's most important series, bringing in a large chunk of the publisher's revenue, and BioWare had programmers with Frostbite experience, so Electronic Arts shifted them to FIFA.

WOOOOOOOF

When a BioWare engineer had questions or wanted to report bugs, they'd usually have to talk to EA's central Frostbite team, a group of support staff that worked with all of the publisher's studios. Within EA, it was common for studios to battle for resources like the Frostbite team's time, and BioWare would usually lose those battles. After all, role-playing games brought in a fraction of the revenue of a FIFA or a Battlefront. "The amount of support you'd get at EA on Frostbite is based on how much money your studio's game is going to make," said one developer. All of BioWare's best-laid technological plans could go awry if they weren't getting the help they expected.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Its the same story at every company I've noticed gone downhill in any industry - the amazing core team that are all fantastic at their job slowly leave and the people who replace them aren't better than them, they are B-level mediocre people who start caring more about paychecks and getting promotions than doing the best job they can. Sure, you might have 1 or 2 talented low level people but they get super frustrated and apathetic when all the manager and high level people are Michael Scott's.

Biggest difference between a mega successful company and a mediocre one is only hiring people smarter than you and doing whatever it takes to keep your team happy and together and not growing too fast, as you almost always end up with poor hires that way which doesn't bite you in the ass until years later.

I'm not slamming the rank and file who just are told what to do and try the best they can, but across EA (and Activision) there seems to be a sheer lack of "great" talent at the high level design/executive team which has a horrible trickle down effect. The only exception is Respawn.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Would delaying this even have helped? It sounds like the only reason solid decisions were happening is because they needed to rely on that "magic" end date. For six years they went in circles.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
they were tied to the engine before EA bought them. at some point i don't think they'll be allowed to do that anymore though, unless apex legends got them enough clout to do whatever they want.
I bet they get a better deal on Source than on UE too since they're literally the only people outside of Valve that are still using it.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very much wasn't Bioware's call to make.

As my former game instructor told us, a game is finished when the deadline hits or the money runs out. Bioware had spent YEARS the game, it had been delayed once already, and EA weighed the pros and cons of further sinking money into the game or pumping it out when they did in the hopes of recouping investment costs - which they could theoretically put back into the game post-launch for improvements.

The thing is... I doubt ANYONE at Bioware is surprised by the scores or reactions. They knew how long the load times were. They knew the glitches were there. They are well aware of the poor performance and shallow gameplay. They had to know the endgame was disappointing and the loot was subpar. None of that was surprising.

... But they had their deadline, come hell or high water, and delaying it further with no guarantee it was going to be substantially better in 6 months compared to release means that EA made the call to launch on the day they heavily promoted, even if it wasn't done yet.
The way it's described in the article, everyone was so laser focused on just getting their own tasks done towards the end that most people at BioWare weren't really aware of the bigger picture anymore and it was only at the very end of development that the game was even complete enough for people to be able to make out some of the overarching flaws and shortcomings with loot drop rates, etc.

FRV

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe your criteria needs to move past pretty visuals and raw FPS.

Maybe your criteria needs to include the game actually *functioning* properly and having minimal gamebreaking bugs.

Frostbite is a very pretty dumpster fire.

They all work very fine, BF4 at launch being an exception.

DICE however need more dev time for extra polish and content, this is true.

Last edited: