• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): hostility over a series of posts
I want to appreciate the investigative work he does, but Schreier is such an asshole that I just have no respect left for him

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to be your workplace subordinate if that's how you view punishment for mistakes/errs.
Ok, maybe not fire but have a serious discussion with. There are repercussions to communicating poorly in a high profile setting. That tweet did not accurately reflect who he is or claims to be.

Everyone knows how insane people in the gaming industry and communities are. You need to communicate extremely effectively or else shit starts flying.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Came in expecting a controversy and keep scratching my head as to why the tweets were supposed to be controversial...storm in a teacup.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty obvious what he meant about being involved in all stages of game design so the way people interpreted that was weird.

I will say though that the one, about him starting at zero with only connections, I found obnoxious because his situation was vastly better than most people and it's really downplaying the fact that people were tripping over themselves to give him resources.
The article actually clarifies that very tweet. Kojima actually said: "the only thing I have is connections."

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
It's pretty obvious what he meant about being involved in all stages of game design so the way people interpreted that was weird.

I will say though that the one, about him starting at zero with only connections, I found obnoxious because his situation was vastly better than most people and it's really downplaying the fact that people were tripping over themselves to give him resources.

Pretty sure that was also a misinterpretation according to Kotaku.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

IMO it's pretty clear he simply meant that he was starting from scratch - no franchise, no studio - and was reflecting on the journey of his past 3 years of work. Naturally he has been a famous developer for 20 years and that means he has tons of open doors.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, maybe not fire but have a serious discussion with. There are repercussions to communicating poorly in a high profile setting. That tweet did not accurately reflect who he is or claims to be.

Everyone knows how insane people in the gaming industry are. You need to communicate extremely effectively or else shit starts flying.
Yeah we should blame a non-native English speaker for less than perfect diction and not be looking at the gaming community for their rampant over reactions.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
It's a shame that people consider his tweets to begin with 'controversial.' Or 'problematic'

People saying stupid shit mistranslated or not (obviously depending on the severity) shouldn't warrant a controversy in of itself.

But it's good to know that the tweet was lost in translation. Like I said I wouldn't consider it controversial, but it made him look like a bit of an asshole.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
IMO it's pretty clear he simply meant that he was starting from scratch - no franchise, no studio - and was reflecting on the journey of his past 3 years of work. Naturally he has been a famous developer for 20 years and that means he has tons of open doors.
But he's not starting from scratch and it's asinine to even think that. He had resources available to him from the moment he left Konami that no other Japanese developer in the world has.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Yes people are dumb but unfortunately that's the internet. Everything is shit upon and it's all fun and games until it's something you're personally interested in. Hive mind, hot take, high-five bullshit has been bombing Era since the site went up. And it was like that on GAF. And Twitter. And YouTube comments. Just chuck this shit onto the top of the pile.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
And let me add to this, he doesn't even need to change his PR. I understood the English tweets just fine.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we should blame a non-native English speaker for less than perfect diction and not be looking at the gaming community for their rampant over reactions.
I'm not saying it's entirely his fault or the gaming community's fault. I'm saying that you need to do everything in your power to control messaging and ensure accuracy.

No matter what you do, you'll never remove all the idiots from the internet. This is why communications people exist.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
But he's not starting from scratch and it's asinine to even think that. He had resources available to him from the moment he left Konami that no other Japanese developer in the world has.

Yeah i can get being annoyed by the privilege. At the same time though he was likely just describing where his mind was at after leaving konami and having to begin re-organizing his life. But i def get it

Truly Gargantuan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He had resources available to him from the moment he left Konami that no other Japanese developer in the world has.
Eh that's a bit of a stretch. I'm sure if Miyamoto bounced from Nintendo the entire gaming world would be tripping over themselves to hire him. The same could be said of a lot of Japanese devs.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, a lot of people had an axe to grind the past couple of days.

Try years.

There are people actively hoping Kojima fails, that his game bombs critically and commercially.

Nothing would give these people more joy than to see his fledgling studio shut down and his own exit from the industry.

As for why... I really don't know.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
And let me add to this, he doesn't even need to change his PR. I understood the English tweets just fine.
I agree. But this is a problem that culminated with employees from DICE, Activision, Kinda Funny, and Digital Foundry contributing to the negative demeanor.

People were legit convinced Kojima hated his employees

We had MULTIPLE posts on Era claiming Miyamoto is a stand up guy and for some reason trashing Kojima because of it.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't start from scratch as in he had zero resources. He started from scratch as in he started from ground zero with no studio and no franchise (after all everyone who makes something from scratch still has ingredients and recipes to work with). Of course he had lots of resources available to choose from and get things kickstarted quickly - this is why he tells us that he benefitted from his connections. He has already made this clear by documenting his visits to other studios looking for guidance and ultimately working with GG.

He is not saying that he did everything by himself with no help, he is simply reflecting on the journey of the past 3 years, from a brand new idea and studio, to the finished product.

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes people are dumb but unfortunately that's the internet. Everything is shit upon and it's all fun and games until it's something you're personally interested in. Hive mind, hot take, high-five bullshit has been bombing Era since the site went up. And it was like that on GAF. And Twitter. And YouTube comments. Just chuck this shit onto the top of the pile.

This [ERA] is where I come to find extreme views of the news, knowing most of the threads will not be exactly accurate.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Eh that's a bit of a stretch. I'm sure if Miyamoto bounced from Nintendo the entire gaming world would be tripping over themselves to hire him. The same could be said of a lot of Japanese devs.
Well yes, there's probably a few people like Miyamoto or Iwata (that list probably consists almost entirely of Nintendo staff and Miyazaki). He got the red carpet treatment for sure though. It felt like studios were fighting to give their engine away to him.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
He didn't start from scratch as in he had zero resources. He started from scratch as in he started from ground zero with no studio and no franchise (after all everyone who makes something from scratch still has ingredients and recipes to work with). Of course he had lots of resources available to choose from and get things kickstarted quickly - this is why he tells us that he benefitted from his connections. He is not saying that he did everything by himself with no help, he is simply reflecting on the journey of the past 3 years, from a brand new idea and studio, to the finished product.
Yes, it's so simple to understand what he said.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest, even if Kojima did literally EVERYTHING in a game by himself people would still call me an egotistical asshole for putting his name on the game.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
He didn't start from scratch as in he had zero resources. He started from scratch as in he started from ground zero with no studio and no franchise (after all everyone who makes something from scratch still has ingredients and recipes to work with). Of course he had lots of resources available to choose from and get things kickstarted quickly - this is why he tells us that he benefitted from his connections. He has already made this clear by documenting his visits to other studios looking for guidance and ultimately working with GG.

He is not saying that he did everything by himself with no help, he is simply reflecting on the journey of the past 3 years, from a brand new idea and studio, to the finished product.
I get that but it feels similar to something like a billionaire's son striking it out on his own and then bragging about how he started from scratch to make X successful company. It's ultimately whatever though.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
People getting upset with only a surface level understanding of something?

Noooo wayyyyyy

/s

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get that but it feels similar to something like a billionaire's son striking it out on his own and then bragging about how he started from scratch to make X successful company. It's ultimately whatever though.
I get that. I think it's a lot different though because Kojima wasn't born into this fame. He has been making video games since the 80s on the MSX. He has definitely put in the time and effort to arrive at the place he is now. I can't be mad at someone for benefitting from 30 years of hard work, especially when that benefit is simply that he gets to make more games.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought this was known?

It's ok to be proud of your work and the effort it took to get there. This isn't the same as inheriting wealth. Considering what happened with him and Konami, he has every right to say these things.

And if it's ultimately 'whatever' to you, why post this?

Let's be honest, even if Kojima did literally EVERYTHING in a game by himself people would still call me an egotistical asshole for putting his name on the game.

Yep. I guess they are upset at every movie ever, too.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's ok to be proud of your work and the effort it took to get there. This isn't the same as inheriting wealth.
If it's ultimately 'whatever', why post this?
Obviously there are key differences.

Because it bugged me. It didn't piss me off or anything of that extreme. There are different emotional response levels other than being mad. I get what he was going for and I think it's a stupid tweet regardless. It doesn't mean I think less of him or anything of that nature.

Truly Gargantuan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well yes, there's probably a few people like Miyamoto or Iwata (that list probably consists almost entirely of Nintendo staff and Miyazaki). He got the red carpet treatment for sure though. It felt like studios were fighting to give their engine away to him.
I agree. But at the same time you can't blame the man for looking back at his journey. He had an extremely public break up with the company that he built his entire career with and lost his franchise. Sure he had more than a dollar and a dream but it still had to have been an extremely emotionally stressful time in his life. He should be allowed to look back and be thankful for where he's landed, even if he had a giant safety net under him during the fall.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I get that. I think it's a bit different though simply because Kojima wasn't born into this fame. He has been making video games since the 80s on the MSX. He has definitely put in the time and effort to arrive at the place he is now.
It really feels like people sometimes forget the bolded point here.

Even the entirety of Metal Gear Solid is only a part of his career.

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I appreciate what you're saying, but put yourself in his shoes. I doubt he felt nearly as confident or hopeful as you're implying he ought to have been, and instead probably felt like his world had been stripped apart. His studio, his team, his engine, his life's work, parts of his reputation etc, in tatters or in need of complete re-building.

In fact, everything about Death Stranding, his demeanour, interviews etc, tells us he was likely in a very hopeless, sad, lonely and isolated frame of mind, and that it was his connections and friends (eg strands) that pulled him together.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. But at the same time you can't blame the man for looking back at his journey. He had an extremely public break up with the company that he built his entire career with and lost his franchise. Sure he had more than a dollar and a dream but it still had to have been an extremely emotionally stressful time in his life. He should be allowed to look back and be thankful for where he's landed, even if he had a giant safety net under him during the fall.

Absolutely.

Having connections doesn't mean success is guaranteed, look no further than Cliffy B for that

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I'm surprised to read people were upset about the original tweets. Didn't really seem bad at all.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
i'm not saying that. english isn't even my first language (it's my third).
i'm just saying after reading the tweets, it's not very realistic to expect everyone to immediately know what the japanese versions of them were trying to say. the average person would take what is said on an official english twitter account literally, without thinking it may be a mistranslation. i do agree that the reactions were a bit over-blown (specially by some devs/journos) but after finding out that there was mistranslation going on, to retroactively calling out those who were reacting to the english tweets (without context) seems a bit unfair.
I think even not knowing the original japanese context, its still kind of stupid to think that he meant that he thinks he literally does everything and doesn't think of his team. When I originally read those tweets, I didn't assume thats what he meant at all, and those who did very intentionally had daggers out for him, because they love the narrative that he is just some out of touch egomaniac.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The English tweet wasn't even bad, just on the nose through a poor translation. Some people are just super eager to shit on him. It's actually pretty embarrassing on the part of actual big name developers and other industry folks shitting on him too without a second's thought as to perhaps English not being his first language, nor the fact that he has a history of handling a lot more typically than most in the game director's role, plus him having a good record of crediting those who work on his team.

Status
Not open for further replies.