• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i wasnt even aware there was a controversy until that kotaku article got RT'd onto my timeline.
I still don't get it.
People were upset he used the word independet to describe himself?

Or is this one of those fake controversies were people will say there is a controversy but it's just 3 people on twitter?
There's been a decent number of people on here and on Twitter who took umbrage with the tweets. For some reason Kojima being an egomaniac has really taken off as an idea within the past few weeks. Sure the man has a high opinion of himself but the way people have been reacted you'd think he's a Kanye level narcissist.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
If you are running an english page you should at least have a social media manager capable of writing in english.

Of course people will misinterpret everything if the message it's not clear.

This true, but even then, nothing warranted the reactions displayed in that thread. Broken translation or not people were being toxic just because the guy has some fans.

At that point his tweets aren't the issue they are a scapegoat for the Kojima issue going on here.

Oct 25, 2017
I usually just put the threads on ignore honestly.

Its so easy to get caught up in this mundane shit.

People love drama and getting angry. Now, time to put this thread on ignore.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They journalists who called him out on twitter should apologise. People were super mean. Even here. People just want to hate on Hideo, it's so sad.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Before anyone asks what the controversy behind those tweets were. Yesterday we had a 13 page thread dedicated to outright bashing Kojima over something lost in translation.

Highlights include a poster making false accusations that Kojima forced staff to apologize on camera for Metal Gear Rising, another claimed Yoko Taro outright laughs at the mention of Kojima, and than we had tons of people just being down right mean.

Worst of all is when journalists like Alex from Digital Foundry and Imran from Kinda Funny contributed to the negativity.

Memes were created out of a mistranslation. People started accusing Kojima of being ungrateful for his staff and manufactured theories of him being some sort of pariah.

Yes this thread needs to exist and we need to be better. At the very least I'd like to see some people apologize but we know it won't happen

Last edited:

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
it's not people's fault for reading the english tweets as they should be read. either don't run an english account or if you do, get better translators.

Except even his English tweet never mentioned that he did everything himself and taking credit from others, there was a lot of projection going on from native english speakers. It's not his fault you guys like to jump on board outrage culture over assumptions.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Seems like a fair bit gets lost in translation with Kojima, and that he's in need of better English marketing/PR translators, unless of course he's writing them himself.
It's obvious that he writes it himself, it's nothing new : Kojima's english tweets are always either written with a simplistic syntax, or are sometimes even not grammatically correct.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's obvious that he writes it himself, it's nothing new : Kojima's english tweets are always either written with a simplistic syntax, or are sometimes even not grammatically correct.
I think it's his personal assistant that translates his tweets. Either way it's not from a native English speaker. They're written a bit weird but they're readable and get the idea across all the same.

Unless of course you're trying to find a way to twist words around to fit your preconceived notions of the man

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
His Instagram is on point though. Just cool photos from his game and stuff he's into. No text to take out of context or mistranslate

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Kotaku only reads ERA because this dumb shit is only "controversial" on this forum that lashes out at just about anything and over analyzes the dumbest shit

Twitter was way worse than here honestly
As is the nature of Twitter

They journalists who called him out on twitter should apologise. People were super mean. Even hear. People just want to hate on Hideo, it's so sad.

I don't think anyone needs to apologise, Kojima doesn't need it
But the industry needs to to take a look at the bizarre shit it jumps on as a group, when stuff like Jim Sterling's Rockstar investigation gets ignored or buried

Oct 27, 2017
As I said in other threads, I don't doubt the man has big ego compared to your average person but:

1. He wasnt implying anything of what people made it out to be.
2. You could say the man has earned it.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
There was nothing in his original translated tweet that could be deemed "controversial" and Kojima himself has done more to credit his staff and the people he worked with than any other game developer in the industry. A number of people that Kojima has worked with have gone on to become household names BECAUSE Kojima went out of his way to get these people noticed. This whole thing is fucking ridiculous. Kojima's flaws are VERY well-documented, but trying to paint him as this credit-stealing egomaniac is absurd.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
There was nothing wrong with that he said in the first place and devs and people like Jason flopping over it was extremely embarrassing. Their ignorant hot takes were the problem, not what he said.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
There was nothing in his original translated tweet that could be deemed "controversial" and Kojima himself has done more to credit his staff and the people he worked with than any other game developer in the industry.
MGSV had the level designers credited before each mission, yet people tried to spin it as though Kojima never gives credit to his team in the last thread lmao

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get the sense that he was discrediting others from the original translation, just that it was a rationalisation of something ultimately based in ego.

You can influence all of those aspects, and assume all of those responsibilities, and not put your name on the game. You could do less and still put your name on the game. He just set an arbitrary bar of involvement to justify it, instead of saying 'I like the look of 'A Stephen Spielberg Film'', or whatever.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
That last thread full of drivebys and snarky takes was the height of Era toxicity though, especially with everyone interpreting it in the worst possible way so they could grind their axe. Not to say that social media wasn't just as bad as everyone rushed in to land their slam dunk...

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wonder how many people who dragged him over the past few days will apologise...
None. It's the same people who were happy that "Konami put him down a notch". They said nothing when it was revealed he was literally locked in small room, was denied being allowed to rewards for his game. These people despise him for some reason.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
People could have apologized after jumping at his neck or, you know, waited for like a single hour before better translations came out. It was a shitfest all around.
People could have apologized after jumping at his neck or, you know, waited for like a single hour before better translations came out. It was a shitfest all around.

People? Apologize in 2019!? What planet are you living on and how can I get there?

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Eh he should probably just fire his translator for making him look like an ass.

Oct 27, 2017
I must of have missed some weird shit. Whatever was said in these tweets are something I wouldn't have found controversial. Yet it seems it was.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's tired and febrile like anyone after a long project. And how his story has ended with Konami hasn't the same scope in Japan than how we conceive our professional life in the west. I am also amused about the coverage of anything he can say or eat, but you can't blame him for his popularity. And for a supposed egomaniac he's extremely generous and attentive with the player in all games he directed.

Jun 4, 2018

But she didn't make him look like an ass. There are some who wanted to find the worst-possible interpretation of what was tweeted and roll with it, and they did. What was posted, in the first place, wasn't even controversial.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely not. Firing Ayako because some losers on the internet can't go a day without bending backwards to get offended at literally nothing would be, like, the worst.
edit: actually, I don't even think they got offended. As NarohDethan says, it's probably that weird-ass dunk culture.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
mistranslation or not; the fact that people were so butthurt over it is the actual sad part.

its really not that serious either way

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
The english tweet is not even that "controversial" as some make it to be, the Kojima hate is weird.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
But she didn't make him look like an ass. There are some who wanted to find the worst-possible interpretation of what was tweeted and roll with it, and they did. What was posted, in the first place, wasn't even controversial.

Agree, but reflexive shifting of blame is also a natural reaction, there isnt much hope for anything else imo. I think we just accept that some ppl want ppl to be a certain way and that ppl on the internet will shout about it despite it being insane

Like if u ever get into other "talk about celebrities" culture it's so wild. Ppl will often say that the existence of celebrity itself justifies the way ppl act towards celebrities...

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know there was a thread about it, but yeah, his English tweet came off as pretentious. Honestly, he should get a better translator if he's gonna use his tweeter account as a PR medium like that.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Before anyone asks what the controversy behind those tweets were. Yesterday we had a 13 page thread dedicated to outright bashing Kojima over something lost in translation.

Highlights include a poster making false accusations that Kojima forced staff to apologize on camera for Metal Gear Rising, another claimed Yoko Taro outright laughs at the mention of Kojima, and than we had tons of people just being down right mean.

Worst of all is when journalists like Alex from Digital Foundry and Imran from Kinda Funny contributed to the negativity.

Memes were created out of a mistranslation. People started accusing Kojima of being ungrateful for his staff and manufactured theories of him being some sort of pariah.

Yes this thread needs to exist and we need to be better. At the very least I'd like to see some people apologize but we know it won't happen
I was disappointed reading Jason Schreier's tweet and others replies,I know was a joke,but still unfair after reading this article.And for ERA it was a feast.
We had actual developers like Robert Bowling tweeting their disgust at him yesterday. It was... Bizarre.
I don't remember if was this guys,but I saw a lot of verified developers thrashing on Kojima,now they felt stupid.
I had to google to see who the hell is this guy.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
People have built up their own assumptions about others and when they find something to confirm that, they'll jump on it with no hesitation and make no attempt to understand what's being said.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
i wasnt even aware there was a controversy until that kotaku article got RT'd onto my timeline.
I still don't get it.
People were upset he used the word independet to describe himself?

Or is this one of those fake controversies were people will say there is a controversy but it's just 3 people on twitter?

3 on twitter
300 on Era.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's pretty obvious what he meant about being involved in all stages of game design so the way people interpreted that was weird.

I will say though that the one, about him starting at zero with only connections, I found obnoxious because his situation was vastly better than most people and it's really downplaying the fact that people were tripping over themselves to give him resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.