• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
https://kotaku.com/nintendo-hacker-...cialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

The way it works is by using the PegaSwitch workaround documented by ReSwitched, an established Switch hacking community, last fall. on a Switch that hasn't been updated past firmware 3.0.0. PegaSwitch is a toolkit that allows people to run code on a Switch by connecting to it over Wi-Fi via a PC using a shared IP address. It's an exploit that doesn't jailbreak the Switch or itself allow homebrew, but it does help open up non-updated versions of the console to projects like Breadman's, which introduces a makeshift Virtual Console installed on an SD card.

"I just wanted an authentic SNES Classic or NES Classic experience so I can take out my Switch, give a Joy-Con to a friend and play some games," Breadman told Kotaku in an email. "Nintendo is rather tone-deaf in this situation. If they aren't going to provide a proper solution, I am. Or someone else will. That's why I love homebrew so much. Doing what Nintendon't. I never understand their business decisions."

Last edited:
""I just wanted an authentic SNES Classic or NES Classic experience so I can take out my Switch, give a Joy-Con to a friend and play some games," Breadman told Kotaku in an email. "Nintendo is rather tone-deaf in this situation. If they aren't going to provide a proper solution, I am. Or someone else will. That's why I love homebrew so much. Doing what Nintendo doesn't. I never understand their business decisions."

Yesssssssss, tell this incompetent company

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Awesome work but ...you don't know that nintendo is not going for the authentic NES Classic experience

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean this is neat, but for really realz.

Nintendo won't make virtual console because they want you to buy this.

SNES-Classic-796x398.jpg

and this

nes-classic-photo-16_1920.0.0.jpg

Full stop.

They'd much rather you pay 80 dollars for this than whatever software solution they'd do, and on top of that, they want to use whatever switch based emulation solution they have to rope you into paying for their online service.

It's not that hard to figure out.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
"I don't get why they won't stop making $60-80 devices that constantly sell out for years on end to provide a worse, cheaper version that I can play with a Joy Con. BAD BUSINESS DECISION NINTENDO, TIME FOR PIRACY"

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I don't get why they won't stop making $60-80 devices that constantly sell out for years on end to provide a worse, cheaper version that I can play with a Joy Con. BAD BUSINESS DECISION NINTENDO, TIME FOR PIRACY"
Contrary to your statement, i don't think providing actual VC support on Switch would cannibalize the mini market, like, at all.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
You cannot officially add games to the classic condoles, they are a one and done deal and not a replacement for virtyal cindolc.

I don't think Nintendo cares about that in the least.

Contrary to your statement, i don't think providing actual VC support on Switch would cannibalize the mini market, like, at all.
I don't think they care about that either.

Fix manual saves next please.
It's coming.

By hook or by crook.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
""I just wanted an authentic SNES Classic or NES Classic experience so I can take out my Switch, give a Joy-Con to a friend and play some games," Breadman told Kotaku in an email. "Nintendo is rather tone-deaf in this situation. If they aren't going to provide a proper solution, I am. Or someone else will. That's why I love homebrew so much. Doing what Nintendo doesn't. I never understand their business decisions."

Really missed a Nintendon't opportunity here

Molto

Oct 27, 2017

SNES-Classic-796x398.jpg

and this

Full stop.

They'd much rather you pay 80 dollars for this than whatever software solution they'd do, and on top of that, they want to use whatever switch based emulation solution they have to rope you into paying for their online service.

I don't get this argument though. Especially when they're charging $5 for each NES game, $8 for SNES, $10 for N64.

30 games in an NES classic = $150, yet they charge much less than that. They potentially could make much more profit with VC, at least on a per game basis.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Cheaper version?

$400 Canadian for a Switch plus $8 per game vs. an SNES Classic for $80 CDN with 20 games and 2 controllers...

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, tell the company busy making money at a stellar rate how to run a business, random internet person!

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Someone tell this guy that "Virtual Console" was just a marketing label for ROMs released on the eShop. Any publisher with a back-catalog could do that these days.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I would gladly pay 80$ or whatever to have all the snes classic games on my switch, they can keep the console and the controllers.

I think that's the point the modders trying to make, people want these specifically on the switch because of what the switch can do for these games. If Nintendo isn't going to do that then hopefully the community will. Im not a big fan of modding my console and I'd rather give money to Nintendo and get it through legal means but if it means getting to play LTTP on my switch I will gladly do it.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get this argument though. Especially when they're charging $5 for each NES game, $8 for SNES, $10 for N64.

30 games in an NES classic = $150, yet they charge much less than that. They potentially could make much more profit with VC, at least on a per game basis.

I'd bet that the positive PR about having old NES games being constantly sold out for months at a time, thus keeping this hardware solution at hte forefront of people's minds is worth more to Nintendo than having a software solution that has the possibility to generate more revenue, but probably will only be interfaced with by whales.

Don't get me wrong, we are those whales, but selling an 80 dollar box to EVERYONE versus the possibility of 150 to a small section of 15 million is a more appetising prospect any day of the week.

And yeah, they could do both. But, like I said, I don't think they care that much as long as those dollars keep flowing.

That's fine, I'll just hack the console and do it myself, fuck them.
I mean, yes. That is the end game here. And Nintendo made it easier than ever for this to happen. Well..technically NVIDIA did but...splitting hairs.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have kept my switch on launch firmware only so I can hack the shit out of it.
Such an amazing portable machine and yet Nintendo seems to give no shits about VC and their robust retro library.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I get the frustration but do you really have to sound like a 15 year old child?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless they're planning on releasing new versions with different sets of games. Make the NES Classic 2 look like a toploader. SNES Mini 2 like the redesigned one.
Asking people to buy the same devices again for the new set of games doesn't seem like a good choice tbh.
And still, it would make proper VC cannibalize minis. The minis are a very specific market that wants a console that look like the old ones, that have controllers like it, that have a selection of bundled games with a Retro UI.
Yeah, tell the company busy making money at a stellar rate how to run a business, random internet person!
I can guarantee you a properly supported VC would make them more money, not less.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
They could have had even more money, oh well.

they will, hence they "will continue to buy new games" part

The Switch is the fastest selling Nintendo console ever with attachment rates to match and the Classic Mini consoles can't stay on store shelves yet all y'all are putting on your financial dunce caps and tsk-tsking them because you can't possibly find another way to play SMB for the millionth time.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Virtual Console sales must have been in the toilet for WiiU and 3DS for Nintendo to not be at least offering it on Switch. You would think digital VC games would be one of their main business pillars.

They really are beyond stupid at times...

ChatonPute

Oct 25, 2017

I think they are simply not launching an official "virtual console" to avoid pushing away Indy games devs
Right now the machine is a paradise for "small games" and that will be likely cannibalized by the sudden arrival of hundred Snes/Nes/N64 etc.. games

People buy indy games to fill time between big releases and that works perfectly for everyone, I don,T want them to change that balance.
For emulator on the go, I have a 100$ GPD XD, it's perfect

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so he's remaking the entire snes classic system,ui and code from the ground up for the switch? That's really cool.
Some people here seem strangely salty that fans want to find a workaround to Nintendo's stupid, stupid plan.
Really? Cause looking at this thread, most people are all for the workaround.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

SNES-Classic-796x398.jpg

and this

Full stop.

I don't want to buy those.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I wondered if old games aren't resold or aren't part of Nintendo's strategic business plans, is due to licensing?

Most of the older games are made by now-defunct developers.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
I just wish Nintendo would sell the SNES and NES Classics as software collections for the Switch. Basically just take the emulator and ROMs and throw them on a cart and sell it for $60. Make it available digitally and physically. It'll give Switch owners their much-wanted classic games and make it easier for everyone else to buy the little consoles.

I imagine they'd sell millions of both and still have just as many subscribers to their online service.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I just wish Nintendo would sell the SNES and NES Classics as software collections for the Switch. Basically just take the emulator and ROMs and throw them on a cart and sell it for $60. Make it available digitally and physically. It'll give Switch owners their much-wanted classic games and make it easier for everyone else to buy the little consoles.
Instead of selling, why not free via a yearly subscription?

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Virtual Console sales must have been in the toilet for WiiU and 3DS for Nintendo to not be at least offering it on Switch. You would think digital VC games would be one of their main business pillars.

They really are beyond stupid at times...

I think people thinking that their decision is stupid are the ones stupid, just like the hacker comment in the OP. VC is just a brand and a old model of business, what Nintendo is doing as a substitute is a much better option and also more cheaper. If anything, all of them should use this model.

They could have had even more money, oh well.

VC was like 5% with how it sold in the past.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Well, for starters, they wouldn't be free. You'd be paying for them via a subscription.
I'm just looking at this from an outsider's point of view.

No matter what medium you're using, you're obtaining the retro games by giving your money to pay a purchase.

If you're purchasing a collection of games as a physical/digital copy on the Switch, that's still a purchase. If you're purchasing for a timed period for free retro gaming on the Switch, that's still a purchase.

I just couldn't wrap my head around. :(

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
What makes Virtual Console games so different from to set it apart? Wasn't it just a marketing term to try and create a warm fuzzy feeling when you opened your wallet?